http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 04:44:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Ps4] inFAMOUS: Second Son  (Read 8958 times)
Roguetad
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 19, 2014, 12:24:35 AM »

I'd be happy getting around 25-30 hours total time played for both morality paths.  I will be eagerly awaiting my package from Amazon on Friday.     
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2014, 12:40:36 AM »

You'll be happy to know that shards are back, and there's a lot more interesting ways you have to get them.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2014, 02:41:35 AM »

yeah, I watched a bit of streaming on it. the shards are not simply static items now and taking over an area is more involved now too. 

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 19, 2014, 10:38:06 AM »

The first two games had a story-based explanation for the shards and why Cole would care about collecting them.  I'll be interested to see if Second Son maintains that tradition, of if they've already reached that level of GTA IV pigeon-collecting where those things just exist because gamers like me are addicted to completing checklists.

-Autistic Angel
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: March 19, 2014, 05:38:53 PM »

There is a story reason for blast shards being in the city.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2014, 03:46:21 AM »

Quote from: gellar on March 17, 2014, 06:24:50 PM

Quote from: Ridah on March 17, 2014, 06:14:47 PM

Quote from: Turtle on March 16, 2014, 07:51:56 PM

Which means that my $400 machine runs a game that looks better than your $700-$1500 machine.

Which isn't to put down sleeping dogs, but there's also a lot of subtle differences as well.

The incidental objects in the next gen games are more varied and common. There's more building styles and textures for them. Infamous also has a bigger vertical aspect.

There's less real-time reflections going on the past gen game as well.

In the end, if you're making an open world game set in a city, eventually you're going to get a lot of parallels since there's only so many extra effects you can throw in.

Keep in mind that Sleeping Dogs came out almost two years ago. I'm not that impressed with Second Son's graphics from a raw technical perspective, which is fine because I don't go to consoles (PS4 and XBO included) for high-end graphics, but I am hoping for advances in other areas such as animation, AI, gameplay, etc. If all it ends up being is a better looking version of the previous games, I don't think it deserves being labeled a definitive next-gen experience. We should hold our standards higher than that.

What game would you say is your current standard bearer for next gen then?

Are graphics your only metric for measuring advancements in a video game? New generations are marked by the likes of the Mario 64s and GTA3s, not by a game like Second Son which is just a graphical upgrade to last generation's game.

That's the way I see it, at least. I would have stopped gaming a long time ago if all there was to look forward to was improved graphics.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2014, 05:24:20 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on March 20, 2014, 03:46:21 AM

Which means that my $400 machine runs a game that looks better than your $700-$1500 machine.

Which isn't to put down sleeping dogs, but there's also a lot of subtle differences as well.

The incidental objects in the next gen games are more varied and common. There's more building styles and textures for them. Infamous also has a bigger vertical aspect.

In the end, if you're making an open world game set in a city, eventually you're going to get a lot of parallels since there's only so many extra effects you can throw in.

Keep in mind that Sleeping Dogs came out almost two years ago. I'm not that impressed with Second Son's graphics from a raw technical perspective, which is fine because I don't go to consoles (PS4 and XBO included) for high-end graphics, but I am hoping for advances in other areas such as animation, AI, gameplay, etc. If all it ends up being is a better looking version of the previous games, I don't think it deserves being labeled a definitive next-gen experience. We should hold our standards higher than that.

Are graphics your only metric for measuring advancements in a video game? New generations are marked by the likes of the Mario 64s and GTA3s, not by a game like Second Son which is just a graphical upgrade to last generation's game.

That's the way I see it, at least. I would have stopped gaming a long time ago if all there was to look forward to was improved graphics.

When we're talking about how good the graphics are in a screenshot, graphics are one of the primary metrics I'd say, yes.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2014, 06:06:54 AM »

What was that about animations not being next gen enough?
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 20, 2014, 09:12:51 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 20, 2014, 06:06:54 AM

What was that about animations not being next gen enough?

Can't wait!
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 20, 2014, 12:48:58 PM »

Thought there would be some reviews up today.  Can't wait until tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: March 20, 2014, 01:06:09 PM »

I think the embargo ends in one or two hours. Patience!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 20, 2014, 01:26:38 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 20, 2014, 01:06:09 PM

Ugh.  That's just like how embargos in the last gen worked.  I thought we'd see some progress.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 20, 2014, 01:32:49 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 20, 2014, 01:26:38 PM

Quote from: TiLT on March 20, 2014, 01:06:09 PM

Ugh.  That's just like how embargos in the last gen worked.  I thought we'd see some progress.

That's... funny.  icon_biggrin

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 20, 2014, 02:16:30 PM »

Reviews are trickling out.    Seem to be in the 80-89 range.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: March 20, 2014, 02:18:04 PM »

The embargo is over, and the initial batch of reviews are very positive, with the exception of Adam Sessler, who is heavily biased towards the Xbox brand and has been for a long time, even before the Xbox One.

The current reviews are:

Destructoid - 9.5/10
DualShockers - 9.5/10
VGNetwork - 9/10
GamerFitNation - 9/10
Gaming Age - A-
Kotaku - Yes
thesixaxis - 9/10
Joystiq - 4.5/5
GiantBomb - 4/5
Gametrailers - 8.8/10
IGN - 8.7/10
Meristation (Spanish) 8.7/10
Gameswelt.de - 8.5
Gameinformer - 8.5/10
Polygon - 8.5/10
XGN.nl - 8.5
JeuxVideo - 16/20
Gamespot - 8
Pushsquare - 8/10
Gamersglobal.de - 8/10
Edge - 7/10
Videogamer - 7/10
Eurogamer - 7/10
Rev3 - 3/5
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 20, 2014, 02:19:02 PM »

Day one patch adds ~5 hours of gameplay eek
http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/infamous_second_son/news/infamous_second_sons_day_one_patch_adds_19_new_missions_5_hours_of_additional_gameplay.html
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: March 20, 2014, 02:20:09 PM »

Oh, and how could I forget our very own Gaming Trend at 80/100? smile
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 20, 2014, 02:24:21 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on March 20, 2014, 03:46:21 AM

No, I didn't say they were. I asked you a question to spurn discussion (that you still haven't answered, btw).

In my opinion, gaming innovation is something the industry likes to bandy about because it makes them feel good about themselves.

All I care about is if the game is fun and pretty. I don't care if it's breaking new ground (unless that ground is more fun than the last).
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 20, 2014, 02:30:29 PM »

Huh, reviews are lower than I was expecting based on all the hype and excitement.  Not that these are bad reviews, mind you--it looks like the game will be a ton of fun--but this isn't going to be the system seller for me that I was starting to think it was.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: March 20, 2014, 02:33:36 PM »

These reviews are actually pretty damn good. You have to keep in mind that many sites seem to have gone over to a 1-10 scale with their reviews since the new year, instead of the traditional 7-10. That this game is getting plenty of 90+ scores is pretty impressive.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 20, 2014, 02:48:53 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 20, 2014, 02:33:36 PM

These reviews are actually pretty damn good. You have to keep in mind that many sites seem to have gone over to a 1-10 scale with their reviews since the new year, instead of the traditional 7-10. That this game is getting plenty of 90+ scores is pretty impressive.

I shouldn't have said 'lower'.  My statement is based on the text of the Eurogamer and Polygon reviews.  Like I said, it still looks like a ton of fun, but the places it seems to fall a little short are places I would need it to be strong to justify running out to buy a PS4.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 20, 2014, 02:52:26 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 20, 2014, 02:30:29 PM

Huh, reviews are lower than I was expecting based on all the hype and excitement.  Not that these are bad reviews, mind you--it looks like the game will be a ton of fun--but this isn't going to be the system seller for me that I was starting to think it was.
Well what does a system seller need to score?  
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 20, 2014, 03:04:46 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on March 20, 2014, 02:52:26 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on March 20, 2014, 02:30:29 PM

Well what does a system seller need to score?  
System seller for me, as in, the game will make me take a long coffee break from work and go out and buy a system right now. 

Here are some excerpts from the Polygon and Eurogamer that play into why I can wait a bit longer to get a PS4 and this game:
"I wish that Second Son had more activities to offer. We're on a new generation of consoles, but Second Son's general structure is identical to its PlayStation 3 ancestors"
"It felt like Sucker Punch could have done better here [good / evil choices], because they do so much better elsewhere."
"As a full-blown narrative, it disappointed me."
"Sadly, once you start exploring the powers, you'll find that flavour is about all they change. "
"Overall, it's good clean fun - so it's a shame that Second Son suffers from a consistent failure of imagination in how it's put together."
"It's easy to enjoy and has a winning personality, but it's reluctant to deviate from a stale streetmap of game city"

Those reviews also had plenty of positive things to say, so again, I'm not trying to say it's a bad game.  It's just seems like it's not quite megaawesome enough for me to need to get a PS4 right here and now. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: March 20, 2014, 03:09:48 PM »

wel, maybe streaming gameplay will help sway you now that Sony/Twitch stop banning people who have the game already. 

I'm not bummed by the reported brevity as I spent a lot of time exploring the last two games and got my money's worth even though I didn't play both evil/good.  GTA V wasn't as long as IV, but I still enjoyed it more. 

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 20, 2014, 03:17:01 PM »

Keep in mind Eurogamer who gave this a 7 gave MGS:Ground Zeroes a 9, a game you can beat in under an hour. Reviews are weird.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 20, 2014, 03:31:26 PM »

Those reviews are good enough for me. I didn't expect Game of the Year, I just want something to play besides Knack.  icon_biggrin
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: March 20, 2014, 03:35:03 PM »

I'm excited to see how they made Seattle look and feel in the game and how close to reality they went. 

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 20, 2014, 03:36:31 PM »

Those reviews are pretty good I thought. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: March 20, 2014, 03:55:45 PM »

one thing that comes up in the review that I really love.  they mention that the DUP structures you destroy remain destroyed.  I love that effect in these games. it's a great way to feel that your actions have a lasting impact.  every game that has done this to some degree has much better lasting impression.  I loved Red Faction Guerilla and Saboteur all the more for this. 

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 20, 2014, 04:00:50 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 20, 2014, 03:36:31 PM

Ok, apparently I'm failing at communication today.  The game is getting great reviews, but I was expecting it to get "omg awesome omg omg" reviews.  This looks like an instabuy if you have a PS4, and I'll buy it as soon as I get a PS4, but without the "omg awesome omg omg" reviews I can't quite justify dropping another $400 so soon after getting the XB1.  That's all.  I'm not trying to say it's getting bad reviews.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: March 20, 2014, 04:05:48 PM »

Arstechnica's review should be right up your alley then:

"Enjoy your power." Infamous: Second Son provides you with the tools to do just that. It presents a likable cast just as excited about the prospect as you, and then the game gets out of your way. The result is not only the best game in the series, but likely my favorite game of the new console generation so far.

The Good:
  • The game makes it easy to have a blast with your powers
  • The character development and tone put the old games to shame
  • It's very pretty
The Bad:
  • Seattle's fictional denizens are lifeless
  • Some powers lack a strong identity
  • Just climbing buildings isn't as easy as it was in previous games
The Ugly:
  • Once, I accidentally beat a citizen to death immediately after reviving them

Verdict: Buy it if you have a PlayStation 4. If you don't, maybe it's time to consider getting one.

I didn't like the first Infamous and never played the second one. I haven't been excited at all for this new iteration due to that, but I'm starting to look forward to playing it now.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 20, 2014, 04:45:06 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 20, 2014, 04:00:50 PM

Ok, apparently I'm failing at communication today.  The game is getting great reviews, but I was expecting it to get "omg awesome omg omg" reviews.  This looks like an instabuy if you have a PS4, and I'll buy it as soon as I get a PS4, but without the "omg awesome omg omg" reviews I can't quite justify dropping another $400 so soon after getting the XB1.  That's all.  I'm not trying to say it's getting bad reviews.

If I post more in this thread, it's because it's a lot more fun to talk about this game than on other forums where there's a more negative ratio of people who love the game to people who think it's the biggest flop ever.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 20, 2014, 04:56:47 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on March 20, 2014, 04:45:06 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on March 20, 2014, 04:00:50 PM

If I post more in this thread, it's because it's a lot more fun to talk about this game than on other forums where there's a more negative ratio of people who love the game to people who think it's the biggest flop ever.

This forum is seriously becoming one of the worst places to talk about games.  Stop ruining my forum, please.  I don't know how many more qualifiers I could have added to any of my posts above to have made it clear that I'm not trying to knock the game.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: March 20, 2014, 05:02:17 PM »

Good reviews overall, but Infamous has tended to be hit or miss with some reviewers due to the style of it and semi-open world.

Part of the reason why they didn't put too much effort into bystander AI is that you're not going to see too much of it when their either running away from you during a fight, or whizzing by as you move from one location to another.

This will probably change with the next iteration now that they have their tools and dev pipeline going.

Also, there was an interesting sentiment being spread that some reviewers and players have a but too high expectations of "next gen" gameplay, leading to lower scores. It seems to be true with all the current titles. Thing is, while the hardware is certainly capable of more, developers still have budget and time limitations.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 05:09:40 PM by Turtle » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 20, 2014, 05:27:36 PM »

From Kotaku:

@Kotaku: Second Son isn't just a shinier version of previous Infamous games. It's an exponential evolution of them. Our review http://t.co/T16vp9vV2l
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: March 20, 2014, 05:37:04 PM »

don't take it too seriously Pug.  I think he was just using this as a moment to regurgitate your line back.  I also don't get the hate we've seen come up recently but I also wish it would stop.  not sure if it's just the next-gen division we've seen or backlash against the promise of the next-gen but I don't remember this level of in-fighting last time.  hopefully things will settle down soon.

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: March 20, 2014, 05:46:15 PM »

Reviews that cite a lack of innovation speak more about the reviewer's expectations than the game itself. I think there is more merit to reviewing a game for what it is rather than what it isn't, though at times there is certainly a fine line when it comes to critique in that regard.

As developers become accustomed to developing for next-gen systems we'll start seeing more innovation, but I'm surprised anyone was expecting something beyond an iteration from the previous two games with higher quality graphics. I'm actually glad Sucker Punch showed some restraint and iterated on what worked.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 20, 2014, 05:54:58 PM »

Quote from: Caine on March 20, 2014, 05:37:04 PM

don't take it too seriously Pug.  I think he was just using this as a moment to regurgitate your line back.  I also don't get the hate we've seen come up recently but I also wish it would stop.  not sure if it's just the next-gen division we've seen or backlash against the promise of the next-gen but I don't remember this level of in-fighting last time.  hopefully things will settle down soon.

No you're a jerk!  Oh wait, I mean yeah, I hope you're right.

After reading a few more reviews and unofficial twitter impressions, I'm starting to think most of the knocks on this game are about it being "not nextgeny enough".  It reminds me of the knocks against Titanfall for being a next-gen game with 'just' 6v6 and without destructible everything despite those being conscious design decisions.

If you can accept Second Son being 'just' an Infamous sequel that improves on its predecessors in every way, it sounds like it'll be awesome.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: March 20, 2014, 06:11:10 PM »

that's what I signed up for, so that's what I'm happy to get.  a solid superhero game by a studio whose games I've enjoyed. 

now, if this were The Division, I'd be disappointed that the dev didn't go the extra mile to make it everything the trailers seemingly promised.  sadly, I now have some doubts about that one after the noticeable drop in detail on next-gen versions of Watch_Dogs. 

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 20, 2014, 06:20:30 PM »

Quote from: Caine on March 20, 2014, 06:11:10 PM

that's what I signed up for, so that's what I'm happy to get.  a solid superhero game by a studio whose games I've enjoyed.  

now, if this were The Division, I'd be disappointed that the dev didn't go the extra mile to make it everything the trailers seemingly promised.  sadly, I now have some doubts about that one after the noticeable drop in detail on next-gen versions of Watch_Dogs.  

Division is next gen only thought right?  So maybe it won't suffer like Watch Dogs has.  (I assume it's last gen holding us back, Obi-Wan style!)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 06:33:48 PM by leo8877 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: