http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 03:25:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Ps4] inFAMOUS: Second Son  (Read 10535 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: April 18, 2014, 03:30:08 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 10, 2014, 04:05:47 PM

That is awesome.

Wake up.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 18, 2014, 04:38:53 AM »

Photo mode is pretty darn cool
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 18, 2014, 08:39:15 AM »

I am debating replaying this or trading for $40.00. I loved it, but I'm not sure a evil replay is worth it . It doesn't seem like there is much reason, or noticeable difference in the gameplay/ story to warrant it . Am I wrong? What's the concensis?
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 18, 2014, 11:18:33 AM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on April 18, 2014, 08:39:15 AM

I am debating replaying this or trading for $40.00. I loved it, but I'm not sure a evil replay is worth it . It doesn't seem like there is much reason, or noticeable difference in the gameplay/ story to warrant it . Am I wrong? What's the concensis?

The way the game ends is vastly different with evil. Also I liked the video power set a lot more as evil. My evil play through on expert mode only took me about 6 hours, so I would say play through it again for the evil and then trade it in. I should mention that I didn't do all of the side missions on the 2nd play through. Just enough to unlock fast travel in a couple of zones.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: April 18, 2014, 02:28:38 PM »

I'm doing it for the story and to get the platinum.  skipping all of the side missions other than those that give shards and only enough to open up a few fast travel locations.  If you go evil second, it takes a lot less time as you can max out your karma quickly. 

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 18, 2014, 11:57:50 PM »

Messing with photo mode as well as looking at the shots people are putting up in this GAF thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803994
really drives home that this is the best damn looking game to date.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 22, 2014, 05:29:40 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on April 18, 2014, 11:57:50 PM

Messing with photo mode as well as looking at the shots people are putting up in this GAF thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803994
really drives home that this is the best damn looking game to date.

Agree with this.  Here is a video compilation of good shots too:

http://feedly.com/k/1eYO2Bs

Wake up.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 22, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »

Whoa, some of those screenshots are incredible. I skipped the game because the gameplay didn't grab me, but the graphics whore in me is drooling...

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 22, 2014, 11:34:11 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 22, 2014, 08:54:00 PM

Whoa, some of those screenshots are incredible. I skipped the game because the gameplay didn't grab me, but the graphics whore in me is drooling...

FYI the gameplay in this one is way better than parts 1 and 2, thanks to superior power sets and the elimination of 90% of the bad building climbing. Rather than jumping from hand hold to hand hold your powers climb up the buildings for you.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 25, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on April 22, 2014, 11:34:11 PM

Quote from: Ridah on April 22, 2014, 08:54:00 PM

FYI the gameplay in this one is way better than parts 1 and 2, thanks to superior power sets and the elimination of 90% of the bad building climbing. Rather than jumping from hand hold to hand hold your powers climb up the buildings for you.
I like open world super hero/villain type games, and this one was a lot of fun.  I found the gameplay just right.  Often times I would cruise around the city just looking for trouble, and then I'd lose track of time and an hour or two would fly by.  It was easy to control, and the combat flowed well.  Having completed it twice now, I just wish there was more content.     
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 25, 2014, 06:20:45 PM »

The DLC expansion for this pre-loaded on my PS4 last night.  Interestingly, it has its own executable on the UI.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 25, 2014, 06:24:23 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on August 25, 2014, 06:20:45 PM

The DLC expansion for this pre-loaded on my PS4 last night.  Interestingly, it has its own executable on the UI.

It's standalone, Second Son is not required.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 25, 2014, 06:25:57 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on August 25, 2014, 06:24:23 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on August 25, 2014, 06:20:45 PM

It's standalone, Second Son is not required.

Ah, I did not know that. 
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 25, 2014, 07:04:07 PM »

Rather than dig through this whole thread let me just rant.

I f-ing hate boss battles.  I have been loving the game up to the point where I have to face the Angel conduit.  It has every stupid hallmark of a boss battle - which I hate! 

It doesn't even f*&%ing fit even remotely with the rest of the game play up to that point.  I spent hours running around town climbing things choosing how to defeat enemies and using many different powers but no now I have to f-ing fight in a boxed in area where the safe spots disappear so I have to keep running around, and of course the boss is strong enough that I need to constantly seek out more ammo.  Of course the boss has three stages where he gets different powers or protections so I have to figure that out while jumping around like an idiot over lava.

I can't think of any boss battle cliche they don't cover.  It is maddening and stupid.  Why do developers think they have to include this.  It is like a stupid checklist or something.

Uggg!

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 25, 2014, 07:06:38 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on August 25, 2014, 07:04:07 PM

I f-ing hate boss battles.  I have been loving the game up to the point where I have to face the Angel conduit.  It has every stupid hallmark of a boss battle - which I hate!  

It doesn't even f*&%ing fit even remotely with the rest of the game play up to that point.  I spent hours running around town climbing things choosing how to defeat enemies and using many different powers but no now I have to f-ing fight in a boxed in area where the safe spots disappear so I have to keep running around, and of course the boss is strong enough that I need to constantly seek out more ammo.  Of course the boss has three stages where he gets different powers or protections so I have to figure that out while jumping around like an idiot over lava.

I can't think of any boss battle cliche they don't cover.  It is maddening and stupid.  Why do developers think they have to include this.  It is like a stupid checklist or something.

Uggg!

I didn't like that fight at all either.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: August 25, 2014, 07:45:59 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on August 25, 2014, 07:06:38 PM

Quote from: farley2k on August 25, 2014, 07:04:07 PM

I f-ing hate boss battles.  I have been loving the game up to the point where I have to face the Angel conduit.  It has every stupid hallmark of a boss battle - which I hate!  

It doesn't even f*&%ing fit even remotely with the rest of the game play up to that point.  I spent hours running around town climbing things choosing how to defeat enemies and using many different powers but no now I have to f-ing fight in a boxed in area where the safe spots disappear so I have to keep running around, and of course the boss is strong enough that I need to constantly seek out more ammo.  Of course the boss has three stages where he gets different powers or protections so I have to figure that out while jumping around like an idiot over lava.

I can't think of any boss battle cliche they don't cover.  It is maddening and stupid.  Why do developers think they have to include this.  It is like a stupid checklist or something.

Uggg!

I didn't like that fight at all either.
It's a tedious fight, and not fun.  I did it once on normal and once on hard.  It's one of those fights that's more tedious and frustrating than actually challenging.  Some of the boss fights do exactly what you said, they go counter to the freedom of the main game and restrict movement.   
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: August 25, 2014, 08:11:03 PM »

Notably (and thankfully, imo) it misses the following aspects from every bad boss encounter you surely hate:

Timed battle (bonus points for not having this, plus a few more for not being an invisible timer)
Regular un-avoidable attack that does massive damage unless you do a very specific counter/block/move at the exact moment.  
Resistant against all attacks except your special moves.  

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 26, 2014, 12:27:20 PM »

It's a tedious fight, and not fun.  I did it once on normal and once on hard.  It's one of those fights that's more tedious and frustrating than actually challenging.  Some of the boss fights do exactly what you said, they go counter to the freedom of the main game and restrict movement.   

I thought that fight was easier on Hard than Normal, because I had already been through it and knew what to expect. However, I agree - it's easily the worst, most un-fun boss battle in the whole game.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 26, 2014, 01:08:02 PM »

Quote from: Caine on August 25, 2014, 08:11:03 PM

Notably (and thankfully, imo) it misses the following aspects from every bad boss encounter you surely hate:

Timed battle (bonus points for not having this, plus a few more for not being an invisible timer)
Regular un-avoidable attack that does massive damage unless you do a very specific counter/block/move at the exact moment.  
Resistant against all attacks except your special moves.  

True.

I was going to add that it didn't have the "destroy all X before you can hurt the boss" mechanic but then in the 3rd stage it did where you had to kill the angles guarding the big angle before you could hurt him. 

All in all after beating it I think it wasn't that bad it just feels out of place and unwanted. 

Oh and "video" power sucks so far so I don't even expect to use it much.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: August 26, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on August 26, 2014, 01:08:02 PM

I had the same immediate impression, but it quickly grew into my favorite power.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: August 26, 2014, 02:15:36 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 26, 2014, 01:57:00 PM

I had the same immediate impression, but it quickly grew into my favorite power.
I sucks early on but gets better once you power it up.  I hated it too until I did that. 

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 26, 2014, 02:18:42 PM »

I will try.... disgust

I think part of it is you have smoke for a long time before getting neon but I only had neon for a short time before video so I don't feel like I had time to get as bored with it.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 26, 2014, 02:23:34 PM »

Quote from: Caine on August 26, 2014, 02:15:36 PM

I sucks early on but gets better once you power it up.  I hated it too until I did that. 

Same, after getting some more powers I actually used it most of the time.  Especially when traveling it was my favorite!
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 26, 2014, 04:22:05 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on August 26, 2014, 02:23:34 PM

Same, after getting some more powers I actually used it most of the time.  Especially when traveling it was my favorite!
Being able to hover strafe with an attack that is essentially a machine gun was effective (and fun).  It's been awhile, but I think video is the power that lets you stealth kill/subdue?  I used that a lot zipping in to take people out without getting hammered.     
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 26, 2014, 05:17:23 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on August 26, 2014, 04:22:05 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on August 26, 2014, 02:23:34 PM

Being able to hover strafe with an attack that is essentially a machine gun was effective (and fun).  It's been awhile, but I think video is the power that lets you stealth kill/subdue?  I used that a lot zipping in to take people out without getting hammered.     

Yeah that stealth subdue was great!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 10, 2014, 06:26:25 PM »

Finally got around to this. I was really surprised how short it was. I finished it in 2 days, although I wasn't going for full completion. Certainly compared to Watch_Dogs which I just finished and thought was probably too long. It seemed like it could have used a third island like the other Infamous games. Maybe they spent too much time working on the all different power sets.

I also hated a bunch of the boss battles, but I thought the way they managed the different powers overall was really impressive.

Infamous 1 is still my favorite in the series because of all of the platforming and the mission design. They was more in Second Son than Infamous 2, but for the most part it was just "go here, kill everything".

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 10, 2014, 06:32:12 PM »

Respectfully disagree, this is still my GOTY.

Wake up.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 11, 2014, 03:09:02 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 10, 2014, 06:26:25 PM

Finally got around to this. I was really surprised how short it was. I finished it in 2 days, although I wasn't going for full completion. Certainly compared to Watch_Dogs which I just finished and thought was probably too long. It seemed like it could have used a third island like the other Infamous games. Maybe they spent too much time working on the all different power sets.

I also hated a bunch of the boss battles, but I thought the way they managed the different powers overall was really impressive.

Infamous 1 is still my favorite in the series because of all of the platforming and the mission design. They was more in Second Son than Infamous 2, but for the most part it was just "go here, kill everything".

I loved the game, but they need to do a better job adding some meaningful side quests in the next game. It would be great if a few powers were tucked away in additional story based missions that helped make the character cast even more interesting.

but I've enjoyed every Infamous game, and can't wait to play Sunset Overdrive!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 11, 2014, 04:37:47 AM »

I grabbed this on a whim today (mainly because Shadows of Mordor wasn't really doing much for me), and have spent all night playing it.  Surprised how much I'm enjoying it, as "open world" anything typically isn't my thing.

I need to figure out how to turn off the OCD gamer in me, because I know that trying to grab every item/side mission/etc will keep me from actually finishing it.  smile

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #389 on: October 11, 2014, 07:13:16 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 11, 2014, 04:37:47 AM

I need to figure out how to turn off the OCD gamer in me, because I know that trying to grab every item/side mission/etc will keep me from actually finishing it.  smile

It's not too bad in this game. Even getting the Platinum trophy is relatively quick to do, compared to other games.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: November 08, 2014, 08:48:38 PM »

Finally got around to finishing this today.  I've always said that the next open world game I like will be the first...and this was the first.  smile  Really enjoyed the story, the game looked incredible, the combat was fun, and there were just enough "goodies" to find and things to do without it feeling overwhelming.  A solid A game in my book.   thumbsup

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 08, 2014, 10:19:02 PM »

Are you going to play the First Light DLC pack when it comes out for free in a few weeks?

-Autistic Angel
Glycerine

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 10, 2014, 11:40:33 AM »

Dabbled in this a little bit yesterday after trading in Mordor.  Only spent about an hour, but I have to say it's really good so far.  Reading the review over at Qt3 made me think it would be horrible, but I went ahead and picked it up anyway.  Mainly because it seems that site has a habit of giving good games low scores, especially the bigger name releases.  Also was reading lots of good impressions in this thread and elsewhere.  I'm not sure what it is with Qt3, maybe they just hate fun.  slywink

I won't get much play time in since Unity comes out tonight, but I'm really glad I didn't pass it up.  GTA V comes out the week after so it may be awhile, but I WILL eventually get back to it. Thank you to everyone that's posted, I probably would have skipped it entirely if it wasn't for the GT community.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 10, 2014, 02:00:32 PM »

According to several sites Infamous: First Light will one of the free games on PSN in January.  Not that people shouldn't buy it if they enjoyed Second Son but it is something to look forward to.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: November 10, 2014, 02:01:54 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on November 10, 2014, 02:00:32 PM

According to several sites

The original source is Playstation Europe's blog, so it's official.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: