http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 02:50:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS4] Driveclub  (Read 3170 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2014, 02:58:49 AM »

Actually, that article is incorrect. They already did that back when the first "delay" was announced, so they're still working on finishing the game now, and not redoing things again.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2014, 05:26:37 AM »

Yeah, that quote is part of an interview and was taken entirely out of context. As if that ever happens. Tongue
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2014, 02:13:13 PM »

Sony has announced a release date for Driveclub
click through to the new trailer
October 7 NA
October 8 EU

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 02:58:28 PM by Caine » Logged

Jumangi

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2014, 03:19:20 PM »

Yikes, almost a year delay. The game must of been pretty messed up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2014, 03:41:34 PM »

Apparently the delay is due to the dynamic menu integration  icon_confused

ccording to the game director, Evolution Studios needed to re-examine ways to connect players socially. That meant changing the dynamic menu system to make activity feeds accessible at all times.

"We really feel like we've kind of solved all those problems now and created this racing game which is socially charged," Rustchynsky said.

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2014, 10:02:15 PM »

That must be a really fantastic menu. Really! The Best goddamn menu ever?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2014, 02:32:17 AM »

They've also announced what will be included in the PS+ version - all modes will be playable, but with only 5 tracks (in one country) and 10 cars.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2014, 08:26:08 PM »

So...the upgrade to the full unlock costs $50. But from the wording on the PS Blog post its seems this is treated not like a sale item but the free games you get with the sub. If the PS+ sub ever lapse you lose access tot he game. I really hope this is a miscommunication on their part...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2014, 01:36:34 AM »

Yeah, that seems really weird.  I would have assumed that the free gimped version goes away if your PS+ subscription stops, not the full version, but their wording seems pretty clear.

(this blog post has the details, btw)

Sandwiches do fix everything.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2014, 02:07:10 AM »

I would guess that they're trying to prevent people from using free trials or one-month memberships to get the discount, which seems rather silly.  The frequent PS+ sales often give more than $10 off on games, and you get to keep those games.  Between this and the fact that the PS+ version only contains about 20% of the full game, I don't think the developers are making many people happy.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2014, 04:08:49 AM »

Yeah, this is a stupid decision that they will have to backpedal on, and the sooner the later. I hope they don't try to argue the point. This is a cost they will have to eat.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2014, 02:04:26 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on May 07, 2014, 08:26:08 PM

So...the upgrade to the full unlock costs $50. But from the wording on the PS Blog post its seems this is treated not like a sale item but the free games you get with the sub. If the PS+ sub ever lapse you lose access tot he game. I really hope this is a miscommunication on their part...

This is exactly what everyone thinks at this point - the 'discount' is only yours while you keep your PS+ sub. So you don't really 'own' it unless you spend the full $60.

In short, don't gimp yourself by trying to save $10.

EDIT: You also get some kind of demo by just having PS+, but it's absolutely not the full game at all.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2014, 02:28:09 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 08, 2014, 02:04:26 PM

This is exactly what everyone thinks at this point - the 'discount' is only yours while you keep your PS+ sub. So you don't really 'own' it unless you spend the full $60.

EDIT: You also get some kind of demo by just having PS+, but it's absolutely not the full game at all.

I wouldn't really call it a demo. It's more of a shareware thing in some ways, with 11 tracks and 10 cars, and the ability to earn the platinum trophy.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2014, 02:45:12 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 08, 2014, 02:28:09 PM

I wouldn't really call it a demo. It's more of a shareware thing in some ways, with 11 tracks and 10 cars, and the ability to earn the platinum trophy.
  Yeah closer to the days when you got Episode 1 of Doom for free.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2014, 01:35:15 PM »

Well, that was fast - Sony has changed the policy so that if you do the $50 upgrade, you'll get to keep the game even if your PS+ subscription runs out.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2014, 01:37:20 PM »

Told you they'd backpedal. slywink
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2014, 05:07:56 PM »

IGN just released two videos of full races from the game. I recommend watching both of them to completion, as they feature changing time of day. This is also the first time that they've shown videos of an actual race instead of a time attack, and it might even be the first time we see an extended video since last year's E3.

Racing From Dusk Till Dark in Driveclub (Pagani Zonda R)

Driving by Your Headlights in Driveclub (Maserati GranTurismo)

It seems pretty clear that the graphics have received some nice upgrades since the last time we saw them. It'll be interesting to see true 1080p video at some point, without this YouTube compression. They gave us full videos the last time, so hopefully they'll do the same thing this time as well.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2014, 09:11:52 PM »

I know the game will look great when released but Youtube just has way to much compression to make even the 1080p look good IMO. Just too many compression artifacts on screen. They need some sort of 1080p+ level that lets these be shown in real high quality.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2014, 08:15:05 PM »

Your wish is their command! Latest DriveClub footage in native 1080p.

If you want to download the clips (recommended), here are the links:

http://e1.dl.playstation.net/e1/campaignsite/driveclub/Driveclub_Putre_Dusk%20to%20Dawn_PreOrder8OCT.mp4
http://e1.dl.playstation.net/e1/campaignsite/driveclub/Driveclub_Glenmorgan_DuskTillDark_PreOrder8OCT.mp4
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2014, 08:38:41 PM »

I like the range of cameras they look to have, specifically that they have two cockpit cameras.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2014, 05:57:08 PM »

New HD video from the Canadian forests. If you're only going to watch one of the three videos that I've linked to this week, this is the one to go for. It really shows how good this game can look.

Direct download: http://e1.dl.playstation.net/e1/campaignsite/driveclub/Driveclub_Cayoosh_Evening_PreOrder8OCT.mp4
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2014, 01:44:29 PM »

Interesting, the drivers actually have fingers.  icon_wink

Couldn't tell from the one I watched - is there damage modeling?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2014, 02:18:08 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on May 17, 2014, 01:44:29 PM

Interesting, the drivers actually have fingers.  icon_wink

Couldn't tell from the one I watched - is there damage modeling?

There's supposed to be visual but not performance damage.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2014, 07:29:07 AM »

Another video, and it's looking even better than the previous ones. Well worth a watch. This one shows off Nilgiri Hills, India.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2014, 01:42:23 PM »

I feel like Sucker Punch must have shared their Infamous rain tech with Evolution

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=663156003768763&set=vb.423631211054578&type=2&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=663160890434941
or as one youtube clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoHtkc3FEo4
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2014, 06:19:28 PM »

So this came out yesterday.  Seems like reviews are mixed, with a current average of 72 on Metacritic.  From the reviews I've read/watched it sounds like they might not have found the real middle ground between arcade and sim that they were looking for, with some sim-ish restrictions but very non-sim handling.

I didn't realize the car lineup would be so limited, only 50 cars and they're all European?  No American or Japanese automakers?  Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Chevy...those are some big hitters to miss.

And apparently the dynamic weather isn't in the shipping version, and will be added as a later patch "before the end of 2014". 

Oh, and to make things even better they're having server problems.  Which I guess happens to a lot of games these days.  But it's so much that they're delaying the PS Plus version and My DriveClub app to lessen the load, so I can't even try it out firsthand.   disgust 

It doesn't sound terrible, but it seems that even after a year delay this may have been shoved out the door to hit a date to compete.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2014, 06:35:54 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 08, 2014, 06:19:28 PM

So this came out yesterday.  Seems like reviews are mixed, with a current average of 72 on Metacritic.  From the reviews I've read/watched it sounds like they might not have found the real middle ground between arcade and sim that they were looking for, with some sim-ish restrictions but very non-sim handling.

Yeah, you're probably very close to the truth with that guess. On the other hand, some of the more negative reviews I've read seemed to have been written by people who were expecting a completely different game. People have even been reducing the game's score for not being an open-world game (open world? That doesn't even make sense for a racing game that's aiming for quasi-realism). And with the arguments GameSpot presented for their 5/10 score, they'd better rate the next Call of Duty in the same way, as those arguments are just as valid/invalid there.

I was most interested in the opinion of Daniel Bloodworth over at GameTrailers, as he's their dedicated racing sim reviewer, and he plays a lot of those games, and very thoroughly at that. If anyone could be trusted to at least understand what the game is going for, it would be him. He gave the game an 86/100, which was good enough for me. Bought and preloaded it yesterday, and have played it for a bit today.

And apparently the dynamic weather isn't in the shipping version, and will be added as a later patch "before the end of 2014". 

December, and this has been known for a long while. All the dynamic weather they promised is in here already, with procedurally generated clouds, non-baked and dynamic lighting, and so on. What's missing is rain and snow, and we've been told that they'd come after release since they were first announced. The game wasn't even supposed to have rain and snow initially, but they spent some of the delay working on those systems.

Oh, and to make things even better they're having server problems.  Which I guess happens to a lot of games these days.  But it's so much that they're delaying the PS Plus version and My DriveClub app to lessen the load, so I can't even try it out firsthand.   disgust 

The server problems are both surprising and disappointing. It seems they're running their own servers instead of using PSN, and that must have backfired tremendously. I can't even verify the license for my pre-order cars, a license that has to be verified against the Driveclub servers before the PS4 allows me to even download them.

It doesn't sound terrible, but it seems that even after a year delay this may have been shoved out the door to hit a date to compete.

The game doesn't feel rushed in any way. It's plenty polished.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2014, 07:42:03 PM »

I finally got onto the servers, btw. Started a club called GamingTrend. I believe there's a max limit of 6 people in one club, so join while you can. Tongue Players in a club share fame and certain unlocks, so it's always beneficial to be part of a club to earn fame together.

I'm designing a club paint design right now, but I'm no graphics artist.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2014, 08:41:04 PM »

I couldn't find this in the store, even when searching... all I could find was the $10 discount.  icon_frown

-craig

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2014, 08:42:43 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 08, 2014, 08:41:04 PM

I couldn't find this in the store, even when searching... all I could find was the $10 discount.  icon_frown

They delayed the free version temporarily because of the network problems. They can't say when it'll be available, but hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later. At least it's possible to get online now (eventually), so there's progress being made.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2014, 09:33:15 PM »

Thanks... that must be the product page I found that said it was "not available" or some such.

-craig

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2014, 11:34:10 PM »

Yep - the launch for this has been pretty much a disaster. I'm staying far away.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/driveclub-online-problems-continue-features-disabl/1100-6422884/

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2014, 02:26:59 AM »

You'd think the year-long delay would've helped them have a smoother launch. Does it at least seem fun when it works?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2014, 07:12:02 AM »

Yes, it's fun (the NeoGAF forums love the game), but the most interesting and compelling features of the game are only available when online. Speaking of which, if any of you actually own the game, please do try to join the GamingTrend club (if you want to), as it is still inactive as far as I can tell. I feel like I'm partly wasting my time racing without having a club active. I'd like to improve the club while playing, but it needs one more member for that to happen.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2014, 10:16:50 PM »

There's a new patch out for the game now, which sounds like it improves things quite a bit.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2014, 02:54:08 PM »

Free version available yet?

-craig

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2014, 03:59:45 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 12, 2014, 02:54:08 PM

Free version available yet?

No, it won't be available until the server issues are completely resolved.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2014, 03:09:39 PM »

A year delay and they release a broken product like this. Was a mess these guys have made.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2014, 03:36:59 PM »

The product isn't broken, but the servers are.

By the way, I believe the servers are mostly up by now. Challenges have been disabled for the time being, but people are playing multiplayer and contributing to their clubs.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2014, 09:21:51 PM »

I decided to try this again after a few days' break, and it seems much better now. I immediately connected to the club to discover that we're now three people in it (thanks guys!). I played a couple of races and leveled the club up to level 2, which allowed me to pick a new paint scheme for our cars. There's still room for 3 more players in the club, so get in while you can! smile

Didn't look like challenges were working for me, but I've heard others say they're working fine for them. I suspect we're very close to getting these issues resolved.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: