http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 03:45:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS4] Driveclub  (Read 1858 times)
forgeforsaken
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2013, 11:33:33 PM »

Just so everyone knows, PS4 folks aren't going to be left out in the cold when it comes to racers at launch.
Driveclub is looking pretty good.  Also, a slightly stripped down version will come with PSPlus.

Gameplay from Gamescom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzcYV38U_k4

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 11:45:20 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 11:47:21 PM »

I've wanted to "get" racing games ever since the original Gran Turismo. Unfortunately, they're just not for me. Still, as a PS Plus member, I'm looking to have a little free eye candy to put the new console through its laps so to speak.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 05:50:49 PM »

This game got panned at E3, so I had mostly dismissed it. Turns out they've made enormous progress since then, and the recent videos from GamesCom are very impressive indeed. I find myself really looking forward to trying this game now.

These are Facebook videos, so the quality is limited. Higher quality videos on different services are supposed to be released soon, but for now this is all we've got:

Dawn
Daytime 1
Daytime 2
Sunset

In particular, pay attention to the lighting and shading on the dashboard. You'll even see shadows from individual branches on trees. The game features a full day/night cycle (with cool stuff like clouds casting actual shadows across the terrain), and it's reflected everywhere. You could stop your car and watch the day pass by if you wanted to.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 06:15:02 PM »

There will be an official #driveclub wheel for $99
http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/press/thrustmaster-unveils-first-official-wheel-playstation-4-t80-driveclub-edition

Although, PS3 wheels will work with it as well.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 02:24:59 AM »

Yeah, there's quite a bit of surprise coming out of various news and forum sites about how good Driveclub looks. I'm honestly surprised as well even though I don't play driving games, since everything I saw wasn't that impressive. Glad Sony fronted some money to create a new driving series that actually gets stuff done on time and might have interesting gameplay for more casual driving game fans. Gran Turismo is in such a weird state, I really don't know how the GT studio stays afloat with such poor efficiency.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 03:41:43 AM »

No kidding. When will a PS4 Gran Turismo game come out? Probably in 2016-17.  What a waste of an exclusive. Of course, I know absolutely nothing about making video games so who am I to criticize?
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 07:08:10 PM »

Yeah, really odd choice to release GT6 on the PS3. Would make so much more sense for it to be a PS4 launch release.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 06:05:30 PM »

The above mentioned videos are now being released in high-quality downloadable 1080p 30fps files here. If you want an uncompromised view of what the Gamescom build looked like, this is your best chance. The difference caused by the 1080p upgrade is tremendous, so I recommend downloading even if you've seen the videos before. Don't use the streaming version, you have to download to get the high-quality version. At the time of writing, two of the four videos have been released, with two more coming later today.

You'll see a lot of jaggies in the video since there was no antialiasing in the Gamescom build. The developers have since implemented AA, so the jaggies are gone in the latest build. They'll be releasing more videos as we get closer to release to show the graphical improvements they claim to be continually making.

The Gamescom build runs at 30 fps. The devs say they are aiming for 60 fps with the release build, but that doesn't mean they'll make it.

Looking good. smile
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 08:53:03 PM »

60 would be best but I've played racers at 30fps and not had a problem. Think most of the Forza games ran at that and I was ok with it.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 03:07:50 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aWOwPwHGEA

« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 03:15:55 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 04:08:45 PM »

I am actually a lot more interested in this than i first thought i would be,it looks very decent

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 04:09:40 PM »

pretty!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 06:54:54 AM »

Delayed?

Has one of the PlayStation 4's big launch exclusives has been pushed back to next year? Rumors are swirling that DriveClub has been delayed to 2014, but Sony won't comment on the matter.P

A website called The Same Coin sparked the rumor earlier today, claiming they'd heard from "an anonymous source" that Sony's big racing game, originally slated for release alongside the PS4 on November 15, has been bumped to next spring. "Treat this as 100% rumour for now," they wrote. "Hopefully it will turn out to be false."

While I hadn't heard of this website before today, a person familiar with goings-on at Sony told me this afternoon that the report is true.

To add some fuel to this rumor fire, today in San Francisco, Sony is holding an event to show off their PS4 games. Although DriveClub was originally part of the lineup, a Sony rep told me this afternoon that it has been removed due to a "scheduling conflict."

When I asked if the game has been delayed, the Sony rep said they don't comment on rumors and speculation.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 06:55:16 AM »

I imagine they'll be working to make the launch up until the last possible minute.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 07:00:00 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 17, 2013, 06:55:16 AM

I imagine they'll be working to make the launch up until the last possible minute.

It's equally possible that they've decided to delay the game days ago and that Sony is trying to make a last-minute deal with another studio so that they'll have something to replace it with on PS+ the first month. They're unlikely to want to hand out this kind of bad news without having something to sugar it with.

Sucks regardless.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 10:47:35 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 17, 2013, 07:00:00 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 17, 2013, 06:55:16 AM

It's equally possible that they've decided to delay the game days ago and that Sony is trying to make a last-minute deal with another studio so that they'll have something to replace it with on PS+ the first month. They're unlikely to want to hand out this kind of bad news without having something to sugar it with.

Sucks regardless.

I doubt they'll get any third party takers at this point. My guess is if they need to replace it it will have to be with a Sony title. Which leaves Knack or Killzone. My guess is Knack.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 11:48:09 AM »

Yeah, Knack is the popular theory.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 12:08:08 PM »

Keep in mind that the PS+ Driveclub was a limited version of that game, not the whole thing.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 12:33:15 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on September 06, 2013, 08:53:03 PM

60 would be best but I've played racers at 30fps and not had a problem. Think most of the Forza games ran at that and I was ok with it.

Forza are 60, they make a huge deal about it being 60 as well.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 01:59:34 PM »

The new Xbone one is but not all past releases have been 60fps.

Sucks about Drive Club if true.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 02:02:10 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 17, 2013, 12:33:15 PM

It's 60 but they are making some tradeoffs to get there especially in regards to lighting and shadows.  Now is it worth those to get a solid 60, for the type of game Turn 10 is making, probably, as I think most racers would prefer 60 FPS over having fully realtime lighting and shadows and it's questionable how many people even notice the difference in lighting engines.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 02:08:38 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 02:17:15 PM »

forza 2 through forza 4 were all 60 fps.  Forza horizon was 30

It's as much about how many updates are going on behind the scenes as what is graphically displayed though with the way they do physics.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 02:24:17 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 17, 2013, 02:02:10 PM

It's 60 but they are making some tradeoffs to get there especially in regards to lighting and shadows.  Now is it worth those to get a solid 60, for the type of game Turn 10 is making, probably, as I think most racers would prefer 60 FPS over having fully realtime lighting and shadows and it's questionable how many people even notice the difference in lighting engines.

I would normally agree with you, but Driveclub uses its lighting engine to change the time of day as you drive. There was a video of this earlier in this thread, where you're driving a sundown as it gradually turns into night. This is something anyone will be able to notice, and it affects gameplay as well. You can go from hardly being able to see because of glare from the sun when driving in a particular direction, to clear weather with good visibility, to darkness that you have to use your car's lights to penetrate.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 02:44:19 PM »

I posted that video  Tongue
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 02:48:48 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 17, 2013, 02:24:17 PM

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 17, 2013, 02:02:10 PM

I would normally agree with you, but Driveclub uses its lighting engine to change the time of day as you drive. There was a video of this earlier in this thread, where you're driving a sundown as it gradually turns into night. This is something anyone will be able to notice, and it affects gameplay as well. You can go from hardly being able to see because of glare from the sun when driving in a particular direction, to clear weather with good visibility, to darkness that you have to use your car's lights to penetrate.

I am trying to understand the point you're making... that they have a form of dynamic light for sunsets/sunrises? That one checkbox doesn't mean that any games with that transition are using the same lighting engine (TDU2 had that effect too, for instance).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 02:51:41 PM »

I think he's just saying it's not going to be hard for someone to notice a day to night change.

This means that both the options, either higher fps or day to night lighting are very noticable.

I do wish Forza would introduce daylight changes and weather.  Especially since I like long 'realistic' length races where it would actually happen real time
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2013, 10:26:15 AM »

it's official   Game will be replaced by Contrast for PS+ members

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2013, 10:49:24 AM »

I have to admit that I'm disappointed. Hopefully it'll be worth it in the end with an improved and more polished game.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 12:42:17 PM »

Although I am not a big racing fan....Drive Club interests me more than Contrast....but hey, free is free. Still, it is disappointing.

The positive side...the PS4 is going to have a kick ass early 2014. No Wii U style drought here..... smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2013, 10:25:47 PM »

They've started teasing us with more videos again, this time 10 second long ones to wet our appetites for a full race to be released very soon. The most pleasant surprise for me is that they've got tracks set in Norway, which I think is an excellent place for races considering our forest and mountain roads. One of the videos shows a race taking place far up in the mountains, and it looks great. There's been several graphical improvements since the last time we saw the game, most notably with shadows, AA and motion blur. The motion blur alone has the biggest impact for me personally.

Here's the Norway clip.

And here's Scotland!

The game is really starting to look like the preview videos from February now.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2013, 05:52:11 AM »

Looks really good.

I love the Forza engine, but I don't love staying on race tracks all day. This is where my NFS and Crew interest was piqued. Does DriveClub do open road, or is it just long regional A-to-B tracks?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2013, 07:33:25 PM »

Really looking forward to Driveclub especially since PS+ gets a free version to try out, but I hope there's a new Dirt game coming. I loved the off road Rally racing of those games. The big dirt flinging slides and high jumps were so much fun.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2013, 02:21:20 PM »

Recent Facebook clip

From the latest trailer, if this is in game....
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2013, 08:24:42 PM »

Ever asked yourself what's so special about Driveclub, what it is that should make you want to buy it over some other racing title? Here's what:

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »

So...clouds?  Tongue

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2013, 08:37:47 PM »

Beautiful day/night cycle. In comparison, Forza seems almost hardcoded to have the sun always right above the horizon in a way that makes it shine directly towards your eyes at all times to produce fancy lens flare. I didn't even notice until someone told me, but try to find screenshots from that game without lens flare and the sun directly in front of the camera. slywink

My point is, being able to drive a track at different (or even dynamically changing) times of day will dramatically affect the experience.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2013, 08:51:07 PM »

Forza Horizon already did the day/night cycle thing in a larger open-world environment, for what it's worth.  Not to discount this game, but it won't be out for 6 months and they'll have to do more than animated gifs to convince me that the driving is actually good.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2013, 08:54:02 PM »

It's from the trailer. The GIFs are made by fans.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2014, 01:55:31 AM »

I wouldn't expect this one any time soon, as apparently they have gone "back to the drawing board" with it. 

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2014, 01:56:58 AM »

WOMPWOMP.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: