http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 04:38:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/XB1/360/Ps3/Ps4] Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor  (Read 5731 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3632


View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 08, 2014, 11:31:39 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 08, 2014, 02:53:16 AM

I like this game, but I am seriously terrible at it.  Which is odd, as I never really had much trouble with the AC games.  It's a little frustrating that anytime you get spotted, you're immediately surrounded by a dozen enemies.  I haven't been able to get the hang of combat yet, and I'm afraid I'm going to break the game with the number of Orcs that are getting promoted because they killed me. 


Assuming you're playing on the PS4, tapping the 'X' button to roll over an enemy is a fantastic way to avoid damage while you reposition for some breathing room.  Melee and ranged attacks will almost always miss, you'll keep your combo going, and you can do it multiple times to work your way towards the edge of a crowd if needed.

Your priority targets should be archers and skirmishers -- the orks with the javelins.  They like to stay near the periphery of a fight and ruin your combat flow with unblockable ranged attacks.  Use your own bow to return the favor: your Focus ability slows time to a crawl, giving you plenty of time to line up one or two charged headshots and take them out the fight immediately.  Their weaponry also glows red in the wraith world, making them easy to pick them out in a group.

-Autistic Angel
Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15620


Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.


View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 08, 2014, 11:37:42 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 08, 2014, 11:31:39 AM

Quote from: Gratch on October 08, 2014, 02:53:16 AM

I like this game, but I am seriously terrible at it.  Which is odd, as I never really had much trouble with the AC games.  It's a little frustrating that anytime you get spotted, you're immediately surrounded by a dozen enemies.  I haven't been able to get the hang of combat yet, and I'm afraid I'm going to break the game with the number of Orcs that are getting promoted because they killed me. 


Assuming you're playing on the PS4, tapping the 'X' button to roll over an enemy is a fantastic way to avoid damage while you reposition for some breathing room.  Melee and ranged attacks will almost always miss, you'll keep your combo going, and you can do it multiple times to work your way towards the edge of a crowd if needed.

Your priority targets should be archers and skirmishers -- the orks with the javelins.  They like to stay near the periphery of a fight and ruin your combat flow with unblockable ranged attacks.  Use your own bow to return the favor: your Focus ability slows time to a crawl, giving you plenty of time to line up one or two charged headshots and take them out the fight immediately.  Their weaponry also glows red in the wraith world, making them easy to pick them out in a group.

-Autistic Angel

I never think to use the bow in the middle of a melee skirmish, but I saw that the fire shot requires that, so I guess it's a thing.
Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3632


View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 08, 2014, 10:18:46 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 08, 2014, 11:37:42 AM

I never think to use the bow in the middle of a melee skirmish, but I saw that the fire shot requires that, so I guess it's a thing.


Yeah, Elfshot is the most reliable threat management resource in the game.  It's guaranteed to take 3 - 5 enemies out of the encounter while simultaneously charging up your combo meter for a finisher of your choice.  And that's before you add runes that heal you, restore focus, and terrify orcs with every headshot.

It sounds overpowered, but it's also finite enough that you have to use it wisely and mix in plenty of other combat moves to survive.  The combat in this game is pretty great!

-Autistic Angel
Logged
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 6617


Preaching to the choir


View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: October 12, 2014, 07:48:29 PM »

I'm trying to platinum this game, and holy fuck is that final trophy ridiculous beyond all compare. A Mighty Doom is a bronze trophy, but it's infuriatingly hard to get, of the "what the fuck were they thinking when they designed this" type. Here's what it requires:

- A warchief who's exactly level 20 without becoming a legendary warchief.
- He must have killed you.
- He must have a fear or a rage.
- You must know his stats.
- You must exploit his rage/fear and any potential weaknesses in battle.
- You must never have issued a death threat to him.

Add to this the typical routine of having to take care of his bodyguards first, and that a normal betrayal is dangerous because you risk having the warchief get killed before you can exploit his fear/rage, and you're looking at at least 30 minutes of work to even get to the point where you can challenge him. At that point, pray that you don't get an epic rune from him, because that doesn't count as they don't have levels. If you get an epic rune, prepare to start over from scratch. I think I've gone through this routine 4-5 times now, and I've gotten an epic rune every fucking time, and there's nothing I can do about it within reason. I just have to keep trying until the game deems me worthy of receiving a non-epic drop, or I'll have to exhaust the game's supply of roughly 40 epic runes so that it's forced to drop normal ones.

I've wasted several hours on this trophy alone, and I'm just about ready to strangle the trophy's designer.
Logged
YellowKing
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3151



View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 12, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »

My only minor complaint about this game is some of the missions require you to do a good deal of work that can end up being a lot of wasted time if you screw it up at the end. I spent over half an hour last night doing one of the legendary dagger missions which essentially requires you to enter a stronghold and kill 12 orcs without being detected.

All was well and good as I painstakingly inched my way through it. I finally had one last Orc to kill and bungled my headshot. Instant detection, mission failed. Start over. So frustrating.

It's not that the missions are insanely difficult or anything, but the random nature of the AI means there are ample opportunities for one little slip-up to cost you huge amounts of time.
Logged
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 6617


Preaching to the choir


View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: October 13, 2014, 06:20:38 PM »

It took me another hour, but I finally got that last trophy and the platinum. I spent some time on Google to find a better solution than the one I listed above, and it turns out it does exist, but requires gaming the system and exploiting obscure game mechanics. For anyone trying to get the A Mighty Doom trophy, here's what you should do:

- Make sure your target is a level 20 warchief.
- Interrogate to learn all his strengths and weaknesses.
- Let him kill you once. It's easiest if you make an empty spot among the warchiefs (perhaps by killing one you have branded as well as his bodyguards. Just hit down after summoning him to make it simple) and then let the guy kill you while he's still captain. He'll get promoted to the empty warchief spot for killing you.
- Send a death threat towards him.
- Brand all his bodyguards. If he's only got one or two, brand other captains and turn them into bodyguards for him, until he has at least 3 or 4 of them, with all of them on your side.
- Send one of his bodyguards to betray him, and then start the betrayal.
- DO NOT INTERFERE! Just press up to command your minions to fight, and then let your bodyguards handle the battle. That's why you had so many of them. If there are reinforcements coming to the warchief's aid, kill them at your leisure, but let the bodyguards handle the warchief.
- As long as you don't kill the warchief yourself, he should not drop an epic rune (this is the obscure part I was talking about). Having done all of the above, he should now drop a rune that is exactly level 25. If, for some reason, a hate or fear was exploited by the bodyguards, the rune will be level 26, but it doesn't matter.

Here's how the level for the rune is calculated:
+20 for the warchief's level.
+2 for being a warchief.
+1 for the death threat.
+1 for knowing his strengths/weaknesses.
+1 for him having killed you before.
(+1 for exploiting a hate/fear)

3 hours for this fucking bronze trophy. I'm done with this game for good.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 06:23:43 PM by TiLT » Logged
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 12764



View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 13, 2014, 06:39:33 PM »

Weird I got that trophy randomly in a fight towards the end
Spoiler for Hiden:
the group of 5 elite named bad guys before you climb up the black gate and fight the creepy guy who you have to stealth drain.  One of the 5 named dudes dropped a rune that gave me the trophy
Logged
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 6617


Preaching to the choir


View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: October 13, 2014, 06:51:41 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 13, 2014, 06:39:33 PM

Weird I got that trophy randomly in a fight towards the end
Spoiler for Hiden:
the group of 5 elite named bad guys before you climb up the black gate and fight the creepy guy who you have to stealth drain.  One of the 5 named dudes dropped a rune that gave me the trophy

Well, either they had a death threat (which I don't think is possible with those guys) or they killed you before. I don't think there are any other modifiers. In any case, it's extremely unlikely to accidentally run across that trophy during regular gameplay. You're the first I've heard mention having that happen to him.
Logged
YellowKing
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3151



View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 13, 2014, 06:53:29 PM »

Thanks for taking one for the team TiLT. I think I'm going to pass on the platinum for this one. As much as I like this game, I think I'm ready to finish it up and move on.
Logged
Glycerine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 636


View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 13, 2014, 07:16:58 PM »

I got that one also without any problem.  Was about to start all the intricate planning when one just dropped off a level 20 war chief. Guess I got lucky, all I have now is the extra collectibles/side missions and I'll have the platinum. Interest has faded since I beat it, but will try and come back every once in awhile and knock a few out until I get it done. Fantastic game, hoping for a sequel that has all or a at least a much bigger part of Middle Earth.
Logged

TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 6617


Preaching to the choir


View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: October 13, 2014, 07:20:08 PM »

I'm kind of surprised how little the nemesis system came into play in my game. The first 3 captains I encountered in the game were unique and memorable, but pretty much every single one I've met since then has been utterly forgettable. One of those first three lost his most memorable feature (a burning helmet) after his first defeat too, which was disappointing. It doesn't help that after I had killed my second warchief, I didn't die again until long after finishing the story.
Logged
Glycerine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 636


View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 13, 2014, 08:04:51 PM »

Exactly the opposite for me, loved the nemesis system.  Every single captain I ran into was unique and memorable in some way, never saw any that were duplicates of or even close to any others.  Different experiences I guess.  Also played quite a bit of the first two batman games, so combat came pretty easy for me too.
Logged

leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 12764



View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 13, 2014, 08:18:31 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on October 13, 2014, 08:04:51 PM

Exactly the opposite for me, loved the nemesis system.  Every single captain I ran into was unique and memorable in some way, never saw any that were duplicates of or even close to any others.  Different experiences I guess.  Also played quite a bit of the first two batman games, so combat came pretty easy for me too.

Until I got to hour 27 or so, they were all pretty unique for me too.  After that I started to see some repeat names and voices, etc.
Logged
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 6617


Preaching to the choir


View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: October 13, 2014, 08:21:44 PM »

Well, the ones I met were technically unique, it was just that it was hard to tell them apart regardless. They all started sounding and looking alike after a very short time, and most of them didn't come back to haunt me (that I noticed, which may tie into them not being memorable enough for me to have noticed).
Logged
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5241


You and I have unfinished business


View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 13, 2014, 08:27:31 PM »

What to steal 
Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15620


Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.


View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 13, 2014, 10:32:08 PM »

Yeah, I have found the nemesis system to be constantly churning out memorable characters.  No one has quite matched Rash the Poet, but there have been quite a few that have stood out in their own, unique way. 

I have found the nemesis system to be the core hook of this game, in fact.  The rest of the gameplay is good, but I am all about going after that son of a bitch who killed me or feeling my heart sink when someone else who killed me shows up right when I'm about to take out a lower tiered guy.

Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Glycerine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 636


View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 13, 2014, 10:56:59 PM »

Come to think of it I only remember a few captains remarking to me about how I had beaten them before, definitely didn't happen often.  I do remember one with a scarred black face I apparently burned, he specially mentioned it when I ran into him.  I remember thinking, "Damn what happened to his face!" right before.  Really did not remember doing it, but I'm still sure I enjoyed it.  

I spent so much time just wandering around, getting into fights, then killing everything around me.  I cut so many captains down by the end of the game I lost count.  Usually when one would kill me I would drop whatever I was doing and go straight for them.  Some I left alive for trophies.  Like TiLT said, once you get the combat down almost nothing can stand in your way.  You still have to pay attention though, or at least I do.  Maybe that's why I find it so much fun, what kept drawing me back in.  Wasn't really paying much attention to the story.  I'm sure I'll still play it from time to time, if nothing more than to see an uruk head go sailing from one end of the screen to the other.  For me that never gets old.
Logged

Roguetad
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2062


View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 13, 2014, 11:40:05 PM »

I have an insane captain that keeps pursuing me all over the map named Ikesh the Mad.  I've killed him a few times but he keeps reappearing.  It wouldn't be that noteworthy except for how terrible he looks now, and what he yells enthusiastically every time he finds me, " 'ello Buttons!" 

I swear it seems to get angrier each time he yells it.  The last time I saw him I was in a big fight near a stronghold, feeling good about how I was doing, when out of my right headphone I hear," 'ello Buttons!!"  And there he was, grinning and looking a lot worse for wear.  "I've been lookin' for ya Buttons!"

     
Logged
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5485


I live in Japan


View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 14, 2014, 12:15:24 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 13, 2014, 06:20:38 PM

It took me another hour, but I finally got that last trophy and the platinum. I spent some time on Google to find a better solution than the one I listed above, and it turns out it does exist, but requires gaming the system and exploiting obscure game mechanics. For anyone trying to get the A Mighty Doom trophy, here's what you should do:

- Make sure your target is a level 20 warchief.
- Interrogate to learn all his strengths and weaknesses.
- Let him kill you once. It's easiest if you make an empty spot among the warchiefs (perhaps by killing one you have branded as well as his bodyguards. Just hit down after summoning him to make it simple) and then let the guy kill you while he's still captain. He'll get promoted to the empty warchief spot for killing you.
- Send a death threat towards him.
- Brand all his bodyguards. If he's only got one or two, brand other captains and turn them into bodyguards for him, until he has at least 3 or 4 of them, with all of them on your side.
- Send one of his bodyguards to betray him, and then start the betrayal.
- DO NOT INTERFERE! Just press up to command your minions to fight, and then let your bodyguards handle the battle. That's why you had so many of them. If there are reinforcements coming to the warchief's aid, kill them at your leisure, but let the bodyguards handle the warchief.
- As long as you don't kill the warchief yourself, he should not drop an epic rune (this is the obscure part I was talking about). Having done all of the above, he should now drop a rune that is exactly level 25. If, for some reason, a hate or fear was exploited by the bodyguards, the rune will be level 26, but it doesn't matter.

Here's how the level for the rune is calculated:
+20 for the warchief's level.
+2 for being a warchief.
+1 for the death threat.
+1 for knowing his strengths/weaknesses.
+1 for him having killed you before.
(+1 for exploiting a hate/fear)

3 hours for this fucking bronze trophy. I'm done with this game for good.
I had no idea the purpose of the game was to collect trophies. Sounds like a boring game to me.
Logged
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 12764



View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 14, 2014, 12:28:25 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on October 13, 2014, 11:40:05 PM

I have an insane captain that keeps pursuing me all over the map named Ikesh the Mad.  I've killed him a few times but he keeps reappearing.  It wouldn't be that noteworthy except for how terrible he looks now, and what he yells enthusiastically every time he finds me, " 'ello Buttons!"  

I swear it seems to get angrier each time he yells it.  The last time I saw him I was in a big fight near a stronghold, feeling good about how I was doing, when out of my right headphone I hear," 'ello Buttons!!"  And there he was, grinning and looking a lot worse for wear.  "I've been lookin' for ya Buttons!"

      

I had a guy named Skun the Thunderer that killed me half a dozen times and just wouldn't go away.
Logged
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 6617


Preaching to the choir


View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: October 14, 2014, 04:40:14 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on October 14, 2014, 12:15:24 AM

I had no idea the purpose of the game was to collect trophies. Sounds like a boring game to me.

Don't turn this into a debate about trophies/achievements. You have nothing to gain from doing so, and it's clear you don't understand the concept to begin with. Just leave it alone.
Logged
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 11170


I said good day, sir!


View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: October 14, 2014, 05:26:44 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 14, 2014, 04:40:14 AM

Quote from: Canuck on October 14, 2014, 12:15:24 AM

I had no idea the purpose of the game was to collect trophies. Sounds like a boring game to me.

Don't turn this into a debate about trophies/achievements. You have nothing to gain from doing so, and it's clear you don't understand the concept to begin with. Just leave it alone.

Good god, I've never seen such a dickish statement from somebody supposedly trying to not start something.  It's as if you don't understand the concept to begin with.  slywink
Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Glycerine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 636


View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 14, 2014, 09:01:04 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on October 13, 2014, 11:40:05 PM

I have an insane captain that keeps pursuing me all over the map named Ikesh the Mad.  I've killed him a few times but he keeps reappearing.  It wouldn't be that noteworthy except for how terrible he looks now, and what he yells enthusiastically every time he finds me, " 'ello Buttons!" 

I swear it seems to get angrier each time he yells it.  The last time I saw him I was in a big fight near a stronghold, feeling good about how I was doing, when out of my right headphone I hear," 'ello Buttons!!"  And there he was, grinning and looking a lot worse for wear.  "I've been lookin' for ya Buttons!"

     

Damn, that guy sounds awesome!  Never ran into him myself, wish I had though.  Wonder why he calls you Buttons?
Logged

Glycerine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 636


View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 14, 2014, 09:53:28 AM »

Quote from: Canuck
I had no idea the purpose of the game was to collect trophies. Sounds like a boring game to me.

I know some people find achievements and trophies annoying, pointless, etc.  I myself love collecting them.  If you ask me why I'd say it's because each one is a little memory of something I did in game.  It's a cool way for me to remember things about games I finished long ago and have forgotten.  Like a gaming diary of sorts, each time I get one another entry is added.

That being said I haven't gotten 100% on a a single game on any system, so they obviously aren't that important to me.  I usually just go for the ones that are reasonably easy.  Mordor was the first game that I really thought about trying to get them all.  It started with the ones related to the Nemesis system and then just went from there.  I'd say White Rider was the biggest pain for me, freeing 30 slaves in 180 seconds is quite a bit harder than it sounds.
Logged

forgeforsaken
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1416


View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 16, 2014, 01:39:07 AM »

Today's update added a photo mode  icon_biggrin



Logged
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 12764



View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 16, 2014, 02:34:00 AM »

Great shots!
Logged
YellowKing
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3151



View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 16, 2014, 01:19:18 PM »

Getting close to wrapping this one up. Once you unlock your 4th tier abilities you really start feeling like a bad-ass.
Logged
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5241


You and I have unfinished business


View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 16, 2014, 02:31:50 PM »

One Warchield + 19 Bodyguard Captain Epic battle for the ages
Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Glycerine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 636


View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 17, 2014, 05:55:24 PM »

Gorgeous pics forge, are those yours or pulled off the web?

Awesome video too!  Shortest epic battle in Middle Earth history!
Logged

forgeforsaken
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1416


View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 17, 2014, 06:36:01 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on October 17, 2014, 05:55:24 PM

Gorgeous pics forge, are those yours or pulled off the web?

Awesome video too!  Shortest epic battle in Middle Earth history!

Thanks, those were mine.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.157 seconds with 83 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.028s, 2q)