http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 03:46:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/Ps3/Vita] Guacamelee  (Read 1603 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2012, 01:03:04 AM »

Metroid-vania game play with a Mexican twist.  would that make it Mexi-vania?

anyhoo:

Set in a world inspired by Mexican culture, Guacamelee! features a down-on-his-luck agave farmer named Juan Aguacate, who sets out to save the world when El Presidente’s Daughter is kidnapped by an Evil Charro Skeleton. The story takes place in and around a small village in Mexico, and has the player travelling through “The World of the Living” and “The World of the Dead” on his quest to rescue the girl he loves.

gameplay looks like a blast, and I find the art style to be appealing, but if they have great music like in the trailer playing the whole game I'll be sold.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 12:40:02 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 11:43:13 PM »

they just announced that you can use the Vita as a controller for the PS3 version.  it will also be on show at PAX Prime.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 01:47:27 AM »

You know, I bet you that for the PS4, use of the Vita as a controller with extended info on the screen will be required for developers.

Still, sounding good.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 04:01:10 PM »

April 9th release, $14.99 includes cross buy.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 04:41:08 PM »

Alright!  I'm definitely getting this one.  Between the art style, music and what they've shown of gameplay it looks like tons of crazy fun. 

Plus, Drinkbox made the best Vita launch title with Mutant Blobs Attack so I want to keep supporting them.  smile

Sandwiches do fix everything.
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 05:28:40 PM »

IGN has their exclusive review up (uh... ok), but our review will be live Tuesday at 12:01 AM.

I hate these timed exclusive reviews. I get why they do it, but it's just... blergh. That's a rant for another day.

Anyway, I hope you guys check it out my review when it's posted. smile

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 05:56:11 PM »

Quote from: davidrobots on April 08, 2013, 05:28:40 PM

IGN has their exclusive review up (uh... ok), but our review will be live Tuesday at 12:01 AM.

I hate these timed exclusive reviews. I get why they do it, but it's just... blergh. That's a rant for another day.

Anyway, I hope you guys check it out my review when it's posted. smile

Hint, I think he liked itsmile 

So glad to hear that it lives up to expectations.  I'll be picking this up tonight when I get home and probably playing it on my Vita, so we'll see how much I can take of the difficulty.  I gave up on Super Meat Boy fairly quickly. 

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 10:46:28 PM »

I really wanted this game, but:

Many of the levelsí later sections require absolutely perfect timing and precision, tasking you with perfectly chaining long strings of Juanís moves together to navigate a winding path lined with buzz saws. One wrong move in these sections means starting all the way at the beginning. Later boss fights not only require an absolute memorization of all moves learned to that point, but they also need lightning quick reflexes and pattern recognition in order to move past them. One boss killed me at least a few dozen times before I finally got the hang of it and was able to defeat him and continue on my quest.

I'm past the point in my life where I have the time or inclination to play a game where I need to time everything perfectly, or get pushed back to the beginning of an area. Couple that with overly difficult bosses, and the game becomes a no-purchase for me. Its a shame, because I love the concept and and art style.
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 11:51:24 PM »

As far as the difficulty goes, the hardest parts of the game are completely optional (and hide the game's secretest of secrets), but there are some areas that will put your skills to the test. It's never as crushingly difficult as Super Meat Boy's hardest stuff, but it'll definitely give you a challenge.

The one of the bosses in particular was a pain in the ass, but it didn't make me longer than fifteen minutes to figure it out and beat him. Checkpoints are super generous, and dying during a boss fight (even during ones that have multiple stages) never feels truly painful.

Besides, the game won't take more than six hours to beat (unless you try to find everything, that is). If you don't mind a little bit more challenge in your games, I highly recommend it. The humor, the gameplay, the down right joy of exploration is totally worth it.

David Roberts

davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 11:52:37 PM »

Oh, and thanks for reading the review! I appreciate it, and I'm glad it's able to help you make a decision either way. biggrin

David Roberts

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 01:43:02 AM »

I have a history of getting stuck about 75% through any Metroidvania due to difficulty but I love playing them and I had money in my PS wallet so I picked this up to play on the Vita. I've put about 4 hours so far and doing pretty well. The second boss gave me some trouble, but I managed to make it through. The Vita sticks can be a bit sensitive, but I guess I can always switch over to PS3 if I get really stuck.

As David said, the game is very forgiving with saves so there is no backtracking from save rooms like Castlevania. Missing a jump usually means getting put back where you were before the jump with little to no health loss.

The game is really charming and funny and there are plenty of places to explore. Oddly enough I found
Spoiler for Hiden:
a QR code that basically just said "congratulations, you found a QR code".

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 02:01:07 AM »

Really enjoying the game so far. I'm playing on the PS3 now and will try the vita version later tonight.  The soundtrack is awesome, I have the sound cranked up, and my subwoofer along with the buttkicker speaker and it's great feeling the beats and the punches.   

So far it hasn't been too difficult some of the platforming can be a little tough as you have to use your skills quickly, but again that is mostly to find different extras.  There are so many different references in the game it's going to be fun just to try and find them all.

So far I've seen...(remembered)
Spoiler for Hiden:
Mario and Luigi, Viva Pinata, Link, Metroid(of course), the Grumpy cat, and Castle Crashers.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 03:54:22 AM »

Quote from: davidrobots on April 09, 2013, 11:51:24 PM

As far as the difficulty goes, the hardest parts of the game are completely optional (and hide the game's secretest of secrets), but there are some areas that will put your skills to the test. It's never as crushingly difficult as Super Meat Boy's hardest stuff, but it'll definitely give you a challenge.

The one of the bosses in particular was a pain in the ass, but it didn't make me longer than fifteen minutes to figure it out and beat him. Checkpoints are super generous, and dying during a boss fight (even during ones that have multiple stages) never feels truly painful.

Besides, the game won't take more than six hours to beat (unless you try to find everything, that is). If you don't mind a little bit more challenge in your games, I highly recommend it. The humor, the gameplay, the down right joy of exploration is totally worth it.

Hmm... glad to hear it. I've got a $10 coupon toward the PSN, so maybe I will give it a try. As I mentioned before, I really love the art style.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 05:47:11 PM »

Getting a lot of satisfaction out of this game - pulling off a tricky jumping combination feels great, and some of the collectibles are really cleverly hidden.

I can compare it to something like the demo for Harmoknight which I played recently. The second level they gave you was really difficult, and you had to basically power through it even though you were making mistakes. Very discouraging. Here, even though the puzzles can be difficult, they are very easy to retry and it's a lot harder to get frustrated.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 10:47:25 PM »

Played the game quickly on the vita and it looks and plays great.  Using the d-pad seems to be better than the PS3 analog stick as sometimes I get stuck doing something I didn't mean to do.  They do have cross game save support but I didn't try that.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 12:19:47 AM »

I was able to play for about an hour last night (on the Vita) and it's definitely fun.  I do wonder if I'm going to quickly get frustrated, though, not being able to do lots of crazy combos and stuff.  I'm pretty terrible at fighting games and things that require quick combos of multiple directions and buttons, and I can definitely see lots of that here even in the platforming. 

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 03:29:31 AM »

Awesome game  is awesome.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 03:25:08 PM »

Up to the second form of the final boss...this is going to take some time to work out.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 04:11:30 PM »

Pretty slick so far about an hr in.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 05:48:51 PM »

Finished! 13:24 and 83%. I'll have to see how much more I want to try and collect. I doubt I'll try hard mode - it was plenty hard on normal. I can't believe there are already people on the leaderboards with 100% hard mode runs.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 06:13:32 PM »

That's quite a different story from those that said the game is only 6 hours long.  Did you spend a lot of time backtracking already?

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 06:17:40 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 11, 2013, 06:13:32 PM

That's quite a different story from those that said the game is only 6 hours long.  Did you spend a lot of time backtracking already?

I mostly worked on things when I was in the area. I came back for a few things but I didn't spend a lot of time revisiting areas. I would say it's probably a 10-11 hour game on a playthrough where you are at least doing some basic exploring.

Also note that PS+ members get a discount this week.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 10:36:48 PM »

OK, maybe I just suck at games. Lots of people on GAF are saying 100% took them under 10 hours, some quite a bit under.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2013, 05:16:02 PM »

Played some more last night. Tried it on the ps3 for the first time. Seemless cloud save is awesome. There's just something cool about picking up where I left off on a different device. Yay! 1080p on ps3!!!
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 11:49:33 AM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on April 13, 2013, 05:16:02 PM

Played some more last night. Tried it on the ps3 for the first time. Seemless cloud save is awesome. There's just something cool about picking up where I left off on a different device. Yay! 1080p on ps3!!!
Cool I might try that as well. Enjoying it even though I've never really played this type of game before. If only all games only cost $15, I would buy so many more.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 10:34:26 PM »

Same here. That price point is such a easy sell for me. Especially when you get both versions, and cloud saves. Hard to say no. This game is still really entertaining after about 4 hrs or so in. I think tonight will be bioshock infinite then some more of this goodness.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 12:40:28 AM »

guess what's coming to Steam next month?

Because I can,
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 08:35:03 AM »

This game gets so much love on my vita.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2013, 11:24:12 AM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on July 31, 2013, 08:35:03 AM

you love it long time? slywink

Because I can,
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2013, 05:11:30 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 31, 2013, 11:24:12 AM

Quote from: Harpua3 on July 31, 2013, 08:35:03 AM

you love it long time? slywink

Well yes, yes I do. Or did. Or will. Or...yes.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 09:39:37 PM »

Arise!

I picked this up on PSN as it is discounted for PS+ subscribers. Really good Metroid-vania type game with slick colorful graphics, but holy cow, some of the moves you need to pull off are nearly worthy of throwing the controller across the room in frustration. The speed and precision with which moves have to be executed are almost too much for my advanced aged skills.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 09:54:57 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on September 03, 2013, 09:39:37 PM

Arise!

I picked this up on PSN as it is discounted for PS+ subscribers. Really good Metroid-vania type game with slick colorful graphics, but holy cow, some of the moves you need to pull off are nearly worthy of throwing the controller across the room in frustration. The speed and precision with which moves have to be executed are almost too much for my advanced aged skills.

It is definitely one of the harder games I have played in a long time. The environment navigation can be real tricky. It's worth it though, the game is good. I just wish it was a bit longer. I did the cross save option and I did find the controls to be more manageable on the Vita for some reason.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2013, 10:44:12 PM »

I recently finished this on the PC and generally enjoyed it.  Iíll agree about the difficulty though, the last hour or so of the game requires twitch precision the likes of which I havenít seen in a long time.  It actually got to the point where I thought it was too much and started to take away from my enjoyment of the game.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2013, 03:03:59 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on September 03, 2013, 09:39:37 PM

Arise!

Yeah, that was the number 1 reason I quit playing this game.  I loved the look and style of it, but the button combos just got to be a bit too much for me to handle, heh.  When a game gets to the point that I'm more frustrated than having fun, it's time to just quit playing.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2013, 02:13:44 PM »

Beat this game last night on Vita and definitely enjoyed it.  It was very challenging, but I always felt it was doable and I just needed to get the actions needed to pass the later stuff into muscle memory.

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2013, 04:17:51 PM »

I have not run into any impossible situations yet. The frustration comes from the pattern memorization through constant failure. It's required a level of gaming patience from me that I have not had to dig into in a long time. It's kind of old school.

Every time I get so frustrated I am about to break the controller, I have to stop playing and go do something non-gaming related (like laundry LOL). I come back to it later and am able to get past the frustrating part. It's all very zen in a bizarre way.  icon_smile
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2014, 02:05:43 PM »

Got it for free on XB1.

Love it so far.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2014, 06:35:03 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 14, 2014, 02:05:43 PM

Got it for free on XB1.

Love it so far.

Even though I beat it on Vita, I got it for free on XBox One as well and have been playing it again.  Still a wonderful game.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2014, 07:05:53 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 14, 2014, 06:35:03 PM

Quote from: ATB on July 14, 2014, 02:05:43 PM

Got it for free on XB1.

Love it so far.

Even though I beat it on Vita, I got it for free on XBox One as well and have been playing it again.  Still a wonderful game.

I played through it on PS3.  After an early attempt where the game just didn't click for me, I tried again and played through to the finish.

I was tempted to buy the update anyway, so free on Xbone was a huge plus.  I've been replaying myself and am loving it again.  I'm only a couple of hours in and there's already a wealth of new content.  All around, another great experience.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2014, 07:13:13 PM »

They make the Tule Tree section any easier in the update? That was a pain in the ass and I know for several people the point they put the game down.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: