http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 10:25:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3/PS4/Vita] MLB 14 The Show  (Read 413 times)
JayDee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2014, 05:43:02 PM »

We used to have a ton of sports gamers on here but I think we've lost a bunch over the years. Anybody picking this up today (or grabbed the PS3 version last month)? This is my most anticipated next-gen game of 2014 and I just grabbed my copy at lunch. Can't wait to fire it up tonight. I'll post impressions if anyone is interested.

I'll probably start off by playing some Quick Count games but eventually I want to get a RttS player going since I will now be able to transfer him to future versions of the game.
Inverarity
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 06:08:43 PM »

My copy is scheduled for delivery today. This will be my first game on the PS4, and first time I've ever played The Show, so I'm pretty excited. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like: Inverarity111
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 08:28:14 PM »

Quote from: Inverarity on May 06, 2014, 06:08:43 PM

My copy is scheduled for delivery today. This will be my first game on the PS4, and first time I've ever played The Show, so I'm pretty excited. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like: Inverarity111

Done.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 10:05:47 PM »

I'm downloading it as I type. The game requires 40 gigs though, so I have very little hope of actually playing it today. Although the initial download is only 5 gigs, so hopefully that 5 gigs includes the Road to the Show or Franchise Mode at the least.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 05:18:39 PM »

Received it yesterday.  Tried to play over lunch hour yesterday but the install and required download for teams took too long.  Expect a wait that first time, if running it via the retail disc.

Played a couple Live games last night and some RTTS.  There's a definite improvement in animations, improved visuals (though not drastic) and other than that, it's The Show.  Stadium models are awesome, at least the ones I saw.  Same options for pitching or hitting, customizable camera views.  I thought the play-by-play got more repetitive than last year's so I don't know if they didn't prepare as many lines, or what. 

It does play a great of baseball. The physics definitely feel right - the hits, the fouls, the plays and base running.  I'm having a heck of a time getting throws across the diamond in time to get runners so there's something different about the fielder throwing.  Also saw some plays in the minors that should probably have been errors that were scored errors - but also saw lots of errors, too - so maybe the official scorer just sucks in some stadiums.  Also noticed more variation in the umpires - some miss obvious calls - others will miss a call but then give you a make-up call on the next pitch - you definitely have to pitch to their strike zone.

Those who play it - which pitching method do you prefer?  Pulse? Meter? 

Great game. Haven't tried the cross-play on Vita yet.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 05:41:42 PM »

Quote from: jament on May 07, 2014, 05:18:39 PM

Received it yesterday.  Tried to play over lunch hour yesterday but the install and required download for teams took too long.  Expect a wait that first time, if running it via the retail disc.

Played a couple Live games last night and some RTTS.  There's a definite improvement in animations, improved visuals (though not drastic) and other than that, it's The Show.  Stadium models are awesome, at least the ones I saw.  Same options for pitching or hitting, customizable camera views.  I thought the play-by-play got more repetitive than last year's so I don't know if they didn't prepare as many lines, or what. 

It does play a great of baseball. The physics definitely feel right - the hits, the fouls, the plays and base running.  I'm having a heck of a time getting throws across the diamond in time to get runners so there's something different about the fielder throwing.  Also saw some plays in the minors that should probably have been errors that were scored errors - but also saw lots of errors, too - so maybe the official scorer just sucks in some stadiums.  Also noticed more variation in the umpires - some miss obvious calls - others will miss a call but then give you a make-up call on the next pitch - you definitely have to pitch to their strike zone.

I can't get the hang of pulse pitching at all. I still haven't decided if I like meter or classic better. For now I'm using classic though.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 11:53:13 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on May 07, 2014, 05:41:42 PM

Quote from: jament on May 07, 2014, 05:18:39 PM

I can't get the hang of pulse pitching at all. I still haven't decided if I like meter or classic better. For now I'm using classic though.

Yeah, the pulse pitching took a while for me to get "used" to, and I still am far from an expert with it.  I find that it does provide a pretty realistic baseball performance.  My first outing with Cliff Lee resulted in a win and a 7 ip, 1 er, 5 h, 3 bb, and 7 k line.  Pretty realistic.  I was also using the quick counts to get through games faster.  I am also having trouble getting outs across the diamond at times.  I think there is something in the throwing meters that you need to get used to or something.
Inverarity
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 01:17:09 AM »

I'm using meter in RTTS and I'm going to give pulse a shot on my next appearance. The meter for pitching takes up a fair amount of screen real estate, and I suck with it, so why not.

I'm using Dynamic difficulty and I'm finding it kind of frustrating, but also kind of great. I'm terrible with hitting, so my RTTS hitter is still on "Rookie". Sometimes he gets to Rookie ++, but then it quickly drops back to Rookie. Rinse-repeat.

For my RTTS pitcher, I shot past Rookie on my first appearance. Since then I've been going between Veteran & Veteran +. I really like that I don't have to fiddle with difficulty settings, but I'm not sure how I like the outcome (one good inning, one bad inning...). I'm sure as I play more I'll like it more.

Btw, when I initially loaded the game and went to the main page, it installed in the background and after about 15 minutes, a demo started (Braves -v- Giants). I was able to jump into the demo and play, so for those worried about loading times, you can play something without waiting too long. By the time my demo game was done, all the installing was done.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 08:47:42 PM »

I will say that I am horribly disappointed in the "auto-saving" of everything.  One example--I was in the 2nd inning of a game and I made a mistake as the phone rang and I went to pick it up.  I thought I'd just restart the game, but, from what I can tell, it forces you to SAVE the game before exiting.  Even when you turn off the auto-save feature after the game, apparently the only way to exit and restart is to reboot?  Oh well.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 09:35:43 PM by Fez » Logged
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 08:56:17 PM »

I plan on diving into this tonight!  Can't wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
JayDee

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 11:39:03 PM »

Oh god I love quick counts. Thought I'd hate them but after trying them it's hard to go back to full length games.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 01:52:26 AM »

Yeah quick counts really, really make the game. However one thing needs to be mentioned that is nearly a game killer: the load times on the PS4 version at least are absolutely atrocious. I can't believe someone thought this was good enough to ship.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 04:33:39 AM »

The load times get better once you have the game "installed" on your hard drive, but they are definitely still on the long side.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 05:53:14 PM »

Can anyone tell me what the experience and levels are actually used for in this game? I'm up to level 14 or so and I can't see any way that the levels are used. Heck there isn't even a trophy for reaching a certain level. So why are you awarded XP and levels? Is it for Multiplayer match making (I don't play Multiplayer)?

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 07:24:08 PM »

I've also wondered about this and have no clue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: