http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 11:55:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [KS] The Flame in the Flood - Rogue-lite river journey  (Read 373 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« on: October 08, 2014, 05:55:38 PM »

Saw this on Kotaku this morning.  I really like the art direction they are going and how they are using real world survival techniques to model the in game systems.  Game is semi-rogue like in that items you give to your dog can be passed on to the next attempt.  The river and landmasses are generated while you play.  

They are looking pretty solid to fund it, with $63k out of $150k
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/molassesflood/the-flame-in-the-flood
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 09:45:02 PM by Caine » Logged

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 07:23:09 PM »

Nice looking game. I read through the pitch and I like what I see. The use of the dog to ameliorate the effects of permadeath is excellent icon_biggrin. I'm really not into music, but I assume that alt-country guy they have doing most of the soundtrack is a somebody.

Caine, I also noticed in your sig file that GT Release calendar. It's pretty nice, I've added it to my Google Calendar thumbsup. Is there a thread where I can post updates or suggested updates? For instance, Farming Simulator 15 is being released on October 30 on the PC. Yeah, I know, not a AAA title, but I liked the previous edition  nod
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 07:26:26 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 07:24:22 PM »

When I first looked at your topic title, I thought a river rafting sim would probably be the stupidest idea I'd seen for a game this year. After watching that preview video it looks like one of the best ideas of the year if they can pull of the mechanics and nail the environments.

Loved the art style. If it was available to download today, I would have jumped on it. The game also screams for an ios port.

Thanks for putting this on my radar.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 08:07:14 PM »

Almost didn't click on the thread, 'river rafting survival sim' didn't really seem like a thing I would be interested in. Unfortunately, I watched the Kickstarter pitch and now I'm a backer.  paranoid

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 08:16:02 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on October 08, 2014, 07:23:09 PM

Nice looking game. I read through the pitch and I like what I see. The use of the dog to ameliorate the effects of permadeath is excellent icon_biggrin. I'm really not into music, but I assume that alt-country guy they have doing most of the soundtrack is a somebody.

Caine, I also noticed in your sig file that GT Release calendar. It's pretty nice, I've added it to my Google Calendar thumbsup. Is there a thread where I can post updates or suggested updates? For instance, Farming Simulator 15 is being released on October 30 on the PC. Yeah, I know, not a AAA title, but I liked the previous edition  nod

Glad you can like the calendar.  It feeds the official release calendar used on the homepage (homepage, what's that? lol).  I update it about once a week and whenever an announcement is made. 

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 08, 2014, 08:07:14 PM

Almost didn't click on the thread, 'river rafting survival sim' didn't really seem like a thing I would be interested in. Unfortunately, I watched the Kickstarter pitch and now I'm a backer.  paranoid

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 08, 2014, 08:07:14 PM

It's a bit hard to peg down in a thread title that's for sure.  open to suggestions if it helps exposure.

"Don't Starve on a boat"

"Tom Sawyer with a dog"

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 08:39:48 PM »

Perhaps a condensed version of their opening blurb:

"A rogue-lite river journey through the backwaters of a forgotten post-societal America"

-craig

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 09:02:20 PM »

I am leery of mentioning it, but I've never played Rouge Roll Eyes. Although I've been computer gaming since the late 1970s, I just never did get around to it. I've played many a game that's been described as "Rouge-like" however, so I think I understand the reference, but maybe it's time to use a more recent game as a comparison.

I really do like the "Don't Starve on a boat" reference nod, although I would hope it never gets that frantic.

By the way, the description of the developer team as "From the Art Director of BioShock and a team of veterans of the BioShock, Halo, Guitar Hero and Rock Band series" just begs for some really over the top parodies...

"A river rafting survival sim that features little girls, freakingly large alien mother ships, a hero who never speaks and lots of guitar solos. Mock Fender bass not included."

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 09:30:22 PM »

Rouge?  No sure we need to know about any "rouge-like" games you've been playing.  icon_razz

Rogue. Lite.

-craig

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 09:31:10 PM »

Yeah, I noticed several ex-Irrational developers are the driving force behind this. I'm in.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 03:05:14 AM »

They just passed the 50% funding mark, $75,000, after just two days.

I just remembered why the developers being in Cambridge MA and their name, The Molasses Flood, sounded familiar. It's a homage to the Boston Molasses Disaster, of which I think I even have a book about, somewhere around here.

The Boston Molasses Disaster, also known as the Great Molasses Flood and the Great Boston Molasses Tragedy, occurred on January 15, 1919, in the North End neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts, in the United States. A large molasses storage tank burst, and a wave of molasses rushed through the streets at an estimated 35 mph (56 km/h), killing 21 and injuring 150. The event has entered local folklore, and for decades afterward, residents claimed that on hot summer days, the area still smelled of molasses.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 03:09:44 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on October 09, 2014, 03:05:14 AM

They just passed the 50% funding mark, $75,000, after just two days.

I just remembered why the developers being in Cambridge MA and their name, The Molasses Flood, sounded familiar. It's a homage to the Boston Molasses Disaster, of which I think I even have a book about, somewhere around here.

The Boston Molasses Disaster, also known as the Great Molasses Flood and the Great Boston Molasses Tragedy, occurred on January 15, 1919, in the North End neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts, in the United States. A large molasses storage tank burst, and a wave of molasses rushed through the streets at an estimated 35 mph (56 km/h), killing 21 and injuring 150. The event has entered local folklore, and for decades afterward, residents claimed that on hot summer days, the area still smelled of molasses.

My grandfather got caught in that as a child and had a plate in his foot as a result.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 03:10:44 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 08, 2014, 09:30:22 PM

Rouge?  No sure we need to know about any "rouge-like" games you've been playing.  icon_razz

Rogue. Lite.

Eye rely dew depend on spiel-check to mulch.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 06:53:18 PM »

They got their initial funding amount and have a few stretch goals.  Not lofty ones yet, but I do hope they hit the 300k mark.

f we hit this goal, all backers at the $15 tier and up will have the option get the game on PS4 instead of the PC or Mac. This will come after the initial PC release.

175K German, French, Spanish
200K Raft Customization
225k Russian Portuguese, Polish
250K Endless Mode
300K PS4

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 07:58:10 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 14, 2014, 06:53:18 PM

They got their initial funding amount and have a few stretch goals.  Not lofty ones yet, but I do hope they hit the 300k mark.

f we hit this goal, all backers at the $15 tier and up will have the option get the game on PS4 instead of the PC or Mac. This will come after the initial PC release.

200K Raft Customization
250K Endless Mode
300K PS4

Those are some crappy stretch goals. I was hoping for added environmental effects, more dog customization possibilities, extra NPCs or quests, etc.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 09:47:24 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on October 14, 2014, 07:58:10 PM

200K Raft Customization
250K Endless Mode
300K PS4

Those are some crappy stretch goals. I was hoping for added environmental effects, more dog customization possibilities, extra NPCs or quests, etc.

Agreed. Endless mode should have been the first level as it's useful for all players. Customization of the raft, nice but not really too much of a gameplay item I think.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 01:05:30 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on October 14, 2014, 09:47:24 PM

200K Raft Customization
250K Endless Mode
300K PS4

Agreed. Endless mode should have been the first level as it's useful for all players. Customization of the raft, nice but not really too much of a gameplay item I think.

I don't know, given some previous Kickstarter happenings, it's kind of nice to see a team that seems to have a pretty concrete vision with not much to add to it. More than anything, I think the big stretch goals just add project risk. Realistic ones like this make me think that they have a solid plan they think they can deliver on and don't want to deviate too far from even if they double their funding goals.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 07:54:51 AM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on October 15, 2014, 01:05:30 AM

Quote from: jztemple2 on October 14, 2014, 09:47:24 PM

200K Raft Customization
250K Endless Mode
300K PS4

I don't know, given some previous Kickstarter happenings, it's kind of nice to see a team that seems to have a pretty concrete vision with not much to add to it. More than anything, I think the big stretch goals just add project risk. Realistic ones like this make me think that they have a solid plan they think they can deliver on and don't want to deviate too far from even if they double their funding goals.

That is a valid point that I had not considered, and I've seen more than one Kickstarter screw it up with unreasonable stretch goals or added bling.

Still, I can't imagine adding a couple extra customizations or islands would cost that much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: