http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 05:41:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3/360/PC] Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel  (Read 807 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« on: April 09, 2014, 02:59:44 PM »

Announced as a sequel to BL1 and a Sequel to BL2, with you playing as one of 4 characters that have played a part in the other two games and set on the Moon Elipsis working for/with Handsome Jack.  Developed by 2K Australia

Kotaku

Athena, the Gladiator

Wilhelm, the Enforcer (pre-mechanization)

Nisha, the Lawbringer

Claptrap, the Fragtrap

Box shot from the PS3 version

They've added lasers, freeze weaponry, low gravity and jetpacks to get around them, and oxygen as both a pickup and as a new way to attack your enemies (crack their mask to kill them by suffocation)

no specific release date yet other than later this year. 

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 03:26:25 PM »

Well, I'll get this for the PC during 2015 Sumnmer Sale .  No longer buying games for the 360

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 04:05:43 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on April 09, 2014, 03:26:25 PM

Well, I'll get this for the PC during 2015 Sumnmer Sale .  No longer buying games for the 360

You too? I'm only holding on to my 360 for new content for GTAV, otherwise it's the PC for me as well.

The new Borderlands game sounds good, too.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 04:25:37 PM »

Hm, how does Wilhelm turn from a guy into a giant robot thing?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 05:04:20 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 09, 2014, 04:25:37 PM

Hm, how does Wilhelm turn from a guy into a giant robot thing?

from the article above,

He's a human like any other in The Pre-Sequel. Except, as you level him up, his abilities will slowly construct that robotic form he eventually turns into.

which is pretty bad ass if you ask me.  you would know a high level Wilhelm just by looking at him. 

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 01:04:31 PM »

I'm just glad that there will no doubt be a ton more Handsome Jack in this one. I'm also crossing my fingers for a Butt Stallion cameo.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 04:23:31 PM »

Release date announced:  October 14th

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/5/5782134/borderlands-the-pre-sequel-launches-oct-14-in-north-america

Of course, there's a pre-order bonus mode:

Those who pre-order the new release will be able to access bonus content Shock Drop Slaughter Pit. This will take place in an old Dahl facility on Pandora's moon where players will meet a former military recruiter TR4-NU who has since gone insnae. Players will get loot for succeeding against enemies in the Slaughter Pit.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 08:51:20 PM »

For anyone getting this through Steam, the pre-load is now available (actually it was available yesterday icon_wink). I didn't find it till I happened to check my Steam Library entry for the game, but now I'm subscribed to their RSS feed.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 10:51:10 AM »

Interested, but waiting for reviews I think as I am somewhat borderlands'd out if there isn't enough enw to it.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 05:24:53 AM »

Ah, I didn't expect this... the game is already available to play on Steam nod. I just did play the first hour or so just to make sure for you folks before posting.  slywink

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 02:55:57 PM »

Impressions after 113 minutes on the PC biggrin .

It's Borderlands 2... IN SPACE! There are a lot of elements common with Borderlands 2 (hereafter B2). Unlike some of the reviews, I don't think that's a bad thing. I liked B2, so I'm liking the gameplay here. In Borderlands The Pre-Sequel (hereafter BPS) things are not all the same and that does make the game a nice change.

The game kicks off with about the first thirty minutes on a space station. BPS starts off with a lot more action than B2 and so you are up to speed on the storyline. I'm avoiding spoilers so I won't relate what happens, but it's fun. The rest of the time (and I guess for the rest of the game) you are down on the surface of the moon Elpis. You meet a main character and get some side missions to build up your XP and get you familiar with the gameplay mechanics. Again, not wanting to spoil it, I'll just say that the lack of oxygen and the low gravity allowed the developers to add new gameplay mechanics that are integral to how you have to play the game. You will meet nasty creatures and some bad guys right away, but by this time I had already unlocked my special skill so it allowed me to try it out. I'm playing as Nisha the Lawgiver and her special skill has been a big help already.

The game has been rock solid for me, running at 60fps at a res of 1920x1200. The controls are similar to B2, so it was nothing to get up to speed on the game. About the only bad thing I've found is where in B2 you would be inspecting a weapon or gadget and could click the right stick to append the image with a red cross or a yellow star to rate the item, now you only have the yellow star. Why they would change that I don't know, I used both symbols in B2. But not a big deal at all.

I'm off to the big city the rest of the day, so I won't get back to the game till this evening. More impressions then.

Glycerine

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 04:09:08 PM »

Really want this, but since I haven't even finished all the DLC for the last game I'm holding off for a sale.  Let us know how it is after a couple days play time.  Did you pick ClapTrap as your class?
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 04:52:15 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on October 14, 2014, 04:09:08 PM

Really want this, but since I haven't even finished all the DLC for the last game I'm holding off for a sale.  Let us know how it is after a couple days play time.  Did you pick ClapTrap as your class?

If you didn't play Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep you should really go back and play that one. It's so good.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 04:55:55 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on October 14, 2014, 04:52:15 PM

If you didn't play Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep you should really go back and play that one. It's so good.

It's good, but the gimmick it employs I thought was better used in Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, which I played just weeks before the Borderlands DLC came out.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 05:01:00 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 14, 2014, 04:55:55 PM

Quote from: Scraper on October 14, 2014, 04:52:15 PM

It's good, but the gimmick it employs I thought was better used in Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, which I played just weeks before the Borderlands DLC came out.

I didn't play Call of Juarez.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 02:28:36 AM »

OK, 3.6 hours complete on the PC. I've just started... (slight spoiler for campaign progression)
Spoiler for Hiden:
Chapter 3, Systems Jammed, which gets me access to Concordia, the new Sanctuary of BtPS

The folks who say this should have just been another DLC for B2, well, the gameplay is significantly different because of the low gravity... Minor spoiler for gameplay, not plot...
Spoiler for Hiden:
The low gravity adds new tactics, like the butt slam, crushing your opponents from above. Also, because you can jump up and then jump again while in mid-air, which uses up O2, you can reach some very interesting places. Fights become more vertical, and you now have to think about what might be hidden above or below you. Oh, and the enemy fights in the vertical as well. Keep an air on the sky!

... and due to the need for oxygen... Minor spoiler for gameplay, not plot...
Spoiler for Hiden:
This need to keep replenishing your O2 might be the most significant change in the gameplay. You have a reserve of O2, but once outside of a building or an O2 dome, you start depleting the reserve. You need to find O2 vents, O2 canisters, or another building with O2. And while you are doing this, you might be getting attacked.
Also you may end up having to risk running out of O2 when you try to reach some out of the way spot. Adds another tactical consideration to a fight.

I've been playing as Nisha the Lawgiver, so there's an emphasis on guns, which is my strong suit from B2.

If you have questions, I'll be playing for the next three hours or so.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: