http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 11:54:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3]Uncharted:Drakes Fortune  (Read 28201 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 17, 2009, 04:09:20 PM »

Just finished my 4th play through....bring on Uncharted 2!!!!!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 17, 2009, 04:24:51 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 17, 2009, 04:09:20 PM

Just finished my 4th play through....bring on Uncharted 2!!!!!

Leo-

Without me having to dig back into the thread, what is SO appealing about the game that it was wroth 4 play throughs?

I don't know that I've EVER played a game through that many times...I have a hard time finding time to do one more than once...
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #402 on: September 17, 2009, 04:31:11 PM »

I played through it 3 times already (gaining a Platinum trophy in the process), and I'm starting to feel the urge to play through it again. The only thing stopping me is that Uncharted 2 is coming out in only a month. It's just a very good game with combat that is dynamic and fun enough to play through several times, trying different things every time. It's also a relatively short game which means you can plow through it quickly if you know what you're doing.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 17, 2009, 04:32:03 PM »

LOlz. Nevermind

I went back through the thread and apparently we (Leo and I) had some heated exchanges that I TOTALLY forgot about.  icon_lol

Glad you loved it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
MGS4 is still better though slywink
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 17, 2009, 04:35:27 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on September 17, 2009, 04:32:03 PM

LOlz. Nevermind

I went back through the thread and apparently we (Leo and I) had some heated exchanges that I TOTALLY forgot about.  icon_lol

Glad you loved it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
MGS4 is still better though slywink

pfft!  Tongue
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #405 on: October 24, 2009, 04:26:20 PM »

Holy sheeeite!

I haven't read through all 11 pages as I was just "gifted" the game by a very generous forum member here (thanks!) and started it last night.

I am blown away by this game! I'm about 2.5 hours into it and it is thrilling, engaging, exciting, funny, and, most importantly, a hell of a lot of fun. So much polish, so much beauty; I can't wait until tonight when I can fire it up again.

Thanks again, James!

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 24, 2009, 06:13:58 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on October 24, 2009, 04:26:20 PM

Holy sheeeite!

I haven't read through all 11 pages as I was just "gifted" the game by a very generous forum member here (thanks!) and started it last night.

I am blown away by this game! I'm about 2.5 hours into it and it is thrilling, engaging, exciting, funny, and, most importantly, a hell of a lot of fun. So much polish, so much beauty; I can't wait until tonight when I can fire it up again.

Thanks again, James!

It keeps getting better, too!  And just think, there's a sequel for you to play when you're done!
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 25, 2009, 04:38:36 AM »

Quote from: lildrgn on October 24, 2009, 04:26:20 PM

Holy sheeeite!

Thanks again, James!

thumbsup
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: October 29, 2009, 08:11:58 PM »

Finished it this morning. Loved every minute of it. Will probably try it on a harder level shortly. Anxiously awaiting U2.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 29, 2009, 10:44:34 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on October 29, 2009, 08:11:58 PM

Finished it this morning. Loved every minute of it. Will probably try it on a harder level shortly. Anxiously awaiting U2.

thumbsup
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 12, 2009, 04:19:23 PM »

I fired up the demo on my new PS3 last night, and was expecting to be blown away graphically.  Granted I only messed around for 5 or 10 min. but it didn't wow me like I thought it would.  Looks fun though, I'll probably pick this up since it's cheap.

"Goonies never say die"
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 12, 2009, 04:24:37 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on November 12, 2009, 04:19:23 PM

I fired up the demo on my new PS3 last night, and was expecting to be blown away graphically.  Granted I only messed around for 5 or 10 min. but it didn't wow me like I thought it would.  Looks fun though, I'll probably pick this up since it's cheap.

The demo for Uncharted isn't the best representation of the game.  Also, while Uncharted 1 still looks great, graphics have improved across the board in the two years since release so it isn't necessarilly as stunning now as it was then. 
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 11, 2010, 05:40:32 PM »

Arise!

I just finished my one and only PS3 game, Uncharted. I have a hard time wrapping my head around how I feel about it. It left a great first impression. I enjoyed both the combat mechanics and the platforming gameplay. But, I found myself taking long breaks between play sessions, and the latter fifth or so of the game was very frustratingly hard for me - playing on Easy. I just get irritated when I have to go through die/replay over and over again as I did with this game. The last game sequence was particularly irritating for me as I must have died 30 times.

I will still probably pick up the sequel at some point, though I'll probably wait till it's a Greatest Hit. I guess the sequel is generally regarded to be much better. Hopefully it's less frustrating.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 11, 2010, 07:45:06 PM »

Uncharted 2 is much, much easier.  Hard in Uncharted 2 is probably the equivalent of Normal in Uncharted 1. 
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 11, 2010, 09:01:07 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 11, 2010, 07:45:06 PM

Uncharted 2 is much, much easier.  Hard in Uncharted 2 is probably the equivalent of Normal in Uncharted 1. 

Glad to hear it! Now if it would only drop in price. smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: April 11, 2010, 11:36:20 PM »

And if normal is still too difficult, there's still an Easy setting, and now a Very Easy setting.

My uncle, an extremely light gamer (once played Tomb Raider a long time ago, but didn't finish) who didn't know dual stick controls managed to finish the game on Very Easy and enjoy it.

Heck, I can beat the game on hard, but sometimes I just play through sections on Very Easy just to enjoy the craftsmanship of the game, and run around pulling off crazy action movie moves.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 07, 2010, 01:40:34 PM »

Having just finished RDR, Splinter Cell Conviction and ME2, I didn't have anything big lying around, so I decided to throw in Uncharted again to get trophy for playing through on Hard difficulty. It's amazing how "one-note" it seems after playing Uncharted 2. It's still a very good game, but it was hard not to notice the difference.

After hearing so many bad things about Crushing on Uncharted 1, I expected Hard to be frustrating, but it was actually very playable. In fact, the sequence I was most concerned about,
Spoiler for Hiden:
then entire attack on Navarro's boat
was actually very easy. I don't know why I had so much trouble with it the first time.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 07, 2010, 01:42:18 PM »

Achievement Whore! slywink  icon_biggrin
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #418 on: June 07, 2010, 01:49:03 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 07, 2010, 01:40:34 PM

Having just finished RDR, Splinter Cell Conviction and ME2, I didn't have anything big lying around, so I decided to throw in Uncharted again to get trophy for playing through on Hard difficulty. It's amazing how "one-note" it seems after playing Uncharted 2. It's still a very good game, but it was hard not to notice the difference.

After hearing so many bad things about Crushing on Uncharted 1, I expected Hard to be frustrating, but it was actually very playable. In fact, the sequence I was most concerned about,
Spoiler for Hiden:
was actually very easy. I don't know why I had so much trouble with it the first time.

Some of the hardest parts in Crushing are actually near the beginning of the game, such as
Spoiler for Hiden:
the attack when you climb out of the downed plane in chapter 4, and the water room in chapter 5 (which you can exploit your way past, btw).
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: June 08, 2010, 03:16:01 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 07, 2010, 01:49:03 PM

Quote from: Teggy on June 07, 2010, 01:40:34 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Some of the hardest parts in Crushing are actually near the beginning of the game, such as
Spoiler for Hiden:
the attack when you climb out of the downed plane in chapter 4, and the water room in chapter 5 (which you can exploit your way past, btw).

Spoiler for Hiden:
The water room was the hardest fight in the game on Crushing I thought. I think I attempted it 20-25 times and it got to the point I had all the spawn positions and timing memorized.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: June 08, 2010, 04:34:02 AM »

I hated, hated, hated that room.  Didn't help that I'd casually swapped my assault rifle for a grenade launcher just before hitting the checkpoint, and so had to get past that thing with five grenade launcher shots and a handful of shotgun shells.  That was very nearly a controller through the TV moment, and I was on Easy!

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 08, 2010, 12:19:30 PM »

Chapter 6 of Uncharted 2 and I am LOVING it!  Just fantastic!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 08, 2010, 12:58:16 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 08, 2010, 12:19:30 PM

Chapter 6 of Uncharted 2 and I am LOVING it!  Just fantastic!

A game you actually play like ?!  Huzzah!
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 09, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »

OMG this game is a rollercoaster! I'm on Chapter 15 and about 5 hours in but it feels a HELL of a lot longer-and I mean that in a good way.  They're just constantly throwing new stuff to do at you!  I thought Uncharted 1 was the pinnacle of gaming but this game absolutely blows it out of the water!!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 09, 2010, 03:18:09 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 09, 2010, 01:46:00 PM

OMG this game is a rollercoaster! I'm on Chapter 15 and about 5 hours in but it feels a HELL of a lot longer-and I mean that in a good way.  They're just constantly throwing new stuff to do at you!  I thought Uncharted 1 was the pinnacle of gaming but this game absolutely blows it out of the water!!

Nothing blows Uncharted 1 out of the water, not even Uncharted 2!  ninja2
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 09, 2010, 03:28:15 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on June 09, 2010, 03:18:09 PM

Has your faith in Altman diminished?

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 09, 2010, 03:30:23 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 09, 2010, 03:28:15 PM

Altman be praised, Teg, but Nathan Drake is my man-crush first and foremost...then Isaac.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 09, 2010, 03:31:51 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on June 09, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

Quote from: Teggy on June 09, 2010, 03:28:15 PM

Altman be praised, Teg, but Nathan Drake is my man-crush first and foremost...then Isaac.

icon_lol

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 13, 2010, 02:16:53 AM »

About 75% of the way through.  I LOVE the stealth combat in this game.  I does it far better than any actual stealth game I've played.  I actually feel like a total bad ass, running around taking out three guys consecutively.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 08, 2010, 10:46:20 PM »

After getting a little frustrated with MW2 last night, I was looking for something to pass the time before BLOPS, so I tossed in Uncharted on crushing. I know I had been warned many times, but I had never tried it for myself, and I finished it comfortably on hard back in June.

Well, I should have listened to everyone. As I read this thread, it turns out that the part that I stopped at is a known choke point (the fight right after climbing back down from the plane), but regardless, what an incredibly unfun experience.

I guess my finishing of Uncharted 2 on crushing isn't that impressive, but at least I enjoyed it. smile

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 13, 2010, 04:23:50 PM »

figured I'd put this here instead of derailing the Uncharted 3 thread:

a buddy of mine convinced me to give this another go, and everyone is saying play the sequel, so I'm pushing through Drake's Fortune right now.  I got past the portion that made me throw in the towel last time, but I'm basically playing to see the story as I'm not enjoying the gameplay to much.  luckily I just hit the last part before having to go to bed last night, so this eveing should see me finally putting it on my completed list and getting to the better sequel.

at this point I think I've encountered every enemy in the game (unless the final bad guy pulls a new one out of his arse) and (I mentioned this in the other thread) I'm still befuddled over the damage model as 3 pistol shots (9mm, never wasted my time with the desert eagle as it didn't turn up much) will take down anything but a clip from a rifle seems to be required to take down an enemy.  again, I've been assured they fix this in the next game, but it still makes me wonder WTF they were thinking.

I did enjoy the exploration parts though.  the puzzles were fairly easy, and there was only one time where I wasn't sure where to go.

Overall I'd give it a 66%.  I enjoyed 2 parts of the game, the story and exploration, while combat was just meh.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: December 13, 2010, 09:19:47 PM »

Though it was a problem for me as well, I found the combat fun, although the main annoyance was also the amount of bullets it took to kill someone, how often they'd throw waves of these hard to kill enemies at you, and the boss.

The WTF in what they were thinking is that this studio used to make nothing but kids games with very little combat. They viewed the gunplay as akin to the action part of a platformer. That's no excuse, but when you look at it like that, it becomes clear what they were thinking.

How they fix this in uncharted 2 was they made the basic rifles your main weapon, instead of the pistol. Your main guns get more ammo so you can use them more. But, then they mixed up both the encounters you face, the enemies in those encounters, what you can do during them, and the available weapons. For instance, while the pistol is now secondary in Uncharted 2, doing less damage, they are still pretty accurate and there's a lot more pistols available from the start. You can also use pistols like climbing, or carrying stuff, and there's a lot of situations where enemies show up while you're climbing (which is actually a good thing since they're fun encounters).

They then made the rifles accurate, and with multiple rifles with noticibly different properties. Also, when you hit someone, like Uncharted 1 they play through a stun animation, but unlike Uncharted 1, they time that animation to be ever so slightly longer so that you can finish them off, and they'll often have a lead out time where they come out of that stun animation. In Uncharted 1, they'd instantly start playing the stun animation, then just as quckly zip out of it.

I don't know if you noticed this part, but one of the best aspects of Uncharted was all the different animations they used for enemies moving and most importantly, popping out of cover to shoot at you.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 13, 2010, 09:56:56 PM »

I was never really bothered by the amount of health the enemies had in Uncharted - it's not like it's Gears of War. I think I used the pistol when I had to and went for headshots but also used the AK and M16 a lot, as well as the MP40 and the shotgun. And magnum. Come to think of it there were a lot of good guns.

In Uncharted 2 my favorite gun by far was the FAL.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 13, 2010, 10:03:47 PM »

I did notice the animations, but there was another game I played recently that did the same thing so they didn't pop out at me as special; I probably appreciated them more when I first tried the game around release.

Thanks for the bit on their history, that does put it somewhat into perspective.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 13, 2010, 10:21:16 PM »

Yeah, in early versions Drake would regain health by smashing boxes and collecting the fruit that fell out.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: December 14, 2010, 03:26:35 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 13, 2010, 09:56:56 PM

I was never really bothered by the amount of health the enemies had in Uncharted - it's not like it's Gears of War.

yeah, but as I mentioned before when a guy in a wifebeater takes a whole clip before he falls it's really pushing it.  Anyways, finished up the last level.  the final segment was a pain until I figured out what to do in the exact order it needed to be done.  at the end I just started unloading the weapons into enemies until they fell instead of doing the burst fire I'm used to doing, which actually made a bit of a difference.  damn burst fire mentality! icon_lol

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 14, 2010, 03:27:37 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 13, 2010, 10:21:16 PM

Yeah, in early versions Drake would regain health by smashing boxes and collecting the fruit that fell out.

I was really pissed once I beat Navarro and was told that Elena was on another freighter  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: