http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 02:58:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3]Uncharted:Drakes Fortune  (Read 28696 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 10, 2008, 05:17:45 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 09, 2008, 04:56:49 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 09, 2008, 04:51:10 PM

thanks for the tip about shooting Kevin.

I didn't see who gave the tip but I'm pretty sure that's against the CoC, especially since he's a moderator.

it was he who gave me the tip.  kinda ironic, no?  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 10, 2008, 05:30:07 PM »

Quote from: BiggerBoat on January 10, 2008, 04:48:17 PM

So, I've got an unopened copy and I've got it listed on Amazon right now -- figure I might as well offset some of the money spent on the system. However, I'd love to hear if there's some element of replay-value that is not apparent in the reviews -- beyond "collecting" things like alternate costumes, which doesn't appeal to me.

New Difficultly levels and the collecting achievement stuff is primarily it.  Personally, I find the combat situations to be varied enough to make them just as enjoyable on replays but YMMV. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: January 26, 2008, 09:43:30 PM »

The small bit of good news is that Uncharted has finally sold over 1 million copies worldwide.  So prospects of a sequel being fully developed and released are looking up.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 26, 2008, 09:46:39 PM »

And deservedly so.  I love the soundtrack <3

TheMissingLink on PSN
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 27, 2008, 02:14:07 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 26, 2008, 09:43:30 PM

The small bit of good news is that Uncharted has finally sold over 1 million copies worldwide.  So prospects of a sequel being fully developed and released are looking up.

Fantastic news.  Disappointing it took so long, but it's really a great game.

gellar
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: January 27, 2008, 02:25:53 AM »

I imagine I'll get around to finishing the first game by the time a sequel comes out  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
depward

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 27, 2008, 02:30:02 AM »

Finished this up today - got about 39 of the hidden treasures.

Gotta say, it was a REALLY great game.  It's rare that I play through a game and simply just enjoy the WHOLE time I play.  Awesome visuals, music, combat is fun, great game.  Looking forward to Uncharted 2!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 27, 2008, 03:47:23 AM »

Quote from: gellar on January 27, 2008, 02:14:07 AM

Quote from: Turtle on January 26, 2008, 09:43:30 PM

Fantastic news.  Disappointing it took so long, but it's really a great game.

gellar

I still haven't emeffing had time to get past the first level, and you know what (besides the fact that I cannot wait to play this game)- I could not be happier that its sold so well. I hope we get a couple more!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 27, 2008, 04:03:01 AM »

And the cool stuff is how replayable they made it.  Quite a few difficulty levels, a next-gen "filter", the ability to play through it with different characters, treasures, etc.  True dedication to giving the gamer their $60 worth.

TheMissingLink on PSN
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 11, 2008, 02:19:08 PM »

My god man, this game is too good.  I'm about 70% through now and this game is the complete package!!! What an absolutely amazing ride this is.  A truly cinematic gaming experience. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 11, 2008, 02:23:39 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 11, 2008, 02:19:08 PM

My god man, this game is too good.  I'm about 70% through now and this game is the complete package!!! What an absolutely amazing ride this is.  A truly cinematic gaming experience. 
OH yeah I forgot to post that I finished it. I will write up more later, but suffice it to say I think its one of the top 3 games of the "new-gen". Its basically awesome in every conceivable way.
Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 12, 2008, 05:01:47 PM »

Completed it last night. Amazing game. Except for,

Spoiler for Hiden:
when it did a Farcry, I don't want to fight zombies/monsters in a game like this.
The last hour or so was a pain to play because of this.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 12, 2008, 05:13:21 PM »

I liked that portion:

Spoiler for Hiden:
First because it was well set up- while technically a twist, there were tons of clues throughout the game to that point.  Further it was in keeping with the pulp origins of the game- frankly I would have been disappointed if something surreal or supernatural hadn't occurred.  I also liked that while it was supernatural in tone, it could still be explained in a more grounded manner (ie, virus that mutated the original Spaniards and you are now fighting the descendants of that new race). 

From a gameplay standpoint I felt like it was more than fair- monsters were stunned when shot so it was never actually overwhelming while still trying to make it feel overwhelming.  And they didn't outstay their welcome- their were one or two short chapters with they were the primary enemy and then you move right on to the end game. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 12, 2008, 05:16:47 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 12, 2008, 05:13:21 PM

I liked that portion:

Spoiler for Hiden:
First because it was well set up- while technically a twist, there were tons of clues throughout the game to that point.  Further it was in keeping with the pulp origins of the game- frankly I would have been disappointed if something surreal or supernatural hadn't occurred.  I also liked that while it was supernatural in tone, it could still be explained in a more grounded manner (ie, virus that mutated the original Spaniards and you are now fighting the descendants of that new race). 

From a gameplay standpoint I felt like it was more than fair- monsters were stunned when shot so it was never actually overwhelming while still trying to make it feel overwhelming.  And they didn't outstay their welcome- their were one or two short chapters with they were the primary enemy and then you move right on to the end game. 

I agree and concur. In fact, I expected it without previously reading spoilers because they spent half the game setting up the atmosphere, dropping hints, bits of dialog that all led up to that reveal-and while some of the combat was a tad more frustrating, I liked what they did there, why they did it, and I thought it really fit thematically with what they were doing.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: March 13, 2008, 12:37:56 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Unlike Farcry, these monsters, called Descendants, have a basis grounded somewhat in reality of where all the settlers went.  They went feral after being exposed to El Dorado's poison.

Also, they deliberately made the AI for them very, very forgiving so long as you understood that you couldn't fight them like everything.  First of all, the AI always gives you cues as to when the Descendants are spawn, usually through audio cues and ponderously slow entrances.  They make a lot of noise while moving too.  Your run speed is just slightly faster than their run speed.  Also, the Descendants rarely ever spawn out of view.  Notice while you were in the dark hallways, they didn't spawn stuff out of view or behind you at all.  This is similar to how Resident Evil handled spawns too.

Unlike a lot of game monsters, once they close with you they usually just swipe at you once, then back off giving you time to react.  Also, if you shoot them anywhere, even just knick them on the toe, they jump back, and play through a pretty long stun animation.  This makes it easier for you to run and gun, then when you stun one, you can take the time to aim in on him for the kill.  Otherwise, just stay on the move and they simply won't have time to kill you.

What you cannot do is simply stand and shoot like you did with the other enemies, and that's okay since those were normal humans with guns, but these are feral creatures.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 16, 2008, 07:19:05 PM »

Ok I just finished this and I can say that, without a doubt, this is the finest game that I have ever played.  The story, the graphics, the acting, all of it.  This blows every other game I've played out of the water.  I can't wait to see what the sequel holds. 

EDIT:  Also, I thought I was going nuts with the treasure searching and I only found 49!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 07:28:25 PM by leo8877 » Logged
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: March 16, 2008, 08:23:14 PM »

Shame you didn't like it. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 16, 2008, 07:27:23 PM »

Finally finished this and I really enjoyed it.  It kind of gave me the same sort of vibe of the original Tomb Raider.  Easily the best exclusive game available on the PS3.  I'm pretty sure we will see a sequel.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 16, 2008, 07:37:48 PM »

Quote from: skystride on April 16, 2008, 07:27:23 PM

Finally finished this and I really enjoyed it.  It kind of gave me the same sort of vibe of the original Tomb Raider.  Easily the best exclusive game available on the PS3.  I'm pretty sure we will see a sequel.

Yup, it's actually been confirmed slywink

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 17, 2008, 01:20:11 AM »

Really?  Excellent!  icon_biggrin

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: April 17, 2008, 01:37:38 AM »

I'm going to pick this one up again and it will become a permanent part of my collection - I've had a hankerin' to go through it again recently...

TheMissingLink on PSN
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 17, 2008, 02:06:02 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on April 17, 2008, 01:37:38 AM

I'm going to pick this one up again and it will become a permanent part of my collection - I've had a hankerin' to go through it again recently...

As well you should, since it's the best game of all time!!!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: April 17, 2008, 04:12:47 AM »

The rumble adds a little to the game.

But I'm going to play through in Donut Drake mode.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 30, 2008, 11:33:08 AM »

Traded in my DS copy of Itadaki Street and got a used copy of Uncharted for about $20.  I'm on Chapter 4 right now and absolutely loving it!! Fantastic game!  A must buy for all PS3 owners.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 30, 2008, 12:23:40 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 30, 2008, 11:33:08 AM

Traded in my DS copy of Itadaki Street and got a used copy of Uncharted for about $20.  I'm on Chapter 4 right now and absolutely loving it!! Fantastic game!  A must buy for all PS3 owners.

I completely agree. I'm on Chapter 9, (50% complete) and loving it too. The cinematics are a treat, and it's a lot like playing an Indiana Jones movie. It's a good mix of Indy, Tomb Raider, and Prince of Persia.

My only quibble is the weapons so far are pretty weak. The AK47 feels like an automatic BB gun. The 44 magnum does pack a lot of punch though.

P.S. is it weird to have a crush on a 3D game model? I really like Elena  icon_biggrin
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 30, 2008, 12:52:09 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on May 30, 2008, 12:23:40 PM

My only quibble is the weapons so far are pretty weak. The AK47 feels like an automatic BB gun. The 44 magnum does pack a lot of punch though.

You're about one or two chapters away from getting some new, more powerful weapons. 
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 30, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on May 30, 2008, 12:23:40 PM

Quote from: Canuck on May 30, 2008, 11:33:08 AM

I completely agree. I'm on Chapter 9, (50% complete) and loving it too. The cinematics are a treat, and it's a lot like playing an Indiana Jones movie. It's a good mix of Indy, Tomb Raider, and Prince of Persia.

P.S. is it weird to have a crush on a 3D game model? I really like Elena  icon_biggrin

watch the motion capture bonus movies to see the chic behind the voice.   thumbsup

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: May 30, 2008, 08:13:35 PM »

Considering that Elena is a likeable, strong, resourceful, intelligent, and not skanky or aggressive in any way like other female game characters, it's understandable to be attracted to the character.

Not to mention the actress that plays her is also pretty hot, along with her voice isn't the typical character voice you hear.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 30, 2008, 11:59:44 PM »

I felt though that in a fight she was pretty useless.  I killed a crap load of guys and then she comes running up and shouts, "Drake, look out!"  Yeah, thanks for the help.  Roll Eyes
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: May 31, 2008, 12:22:04 AM »

Well, she's helped quite a few times by stunning an enemy with a shot, but yeah, usually she doesn't do much.  However, at least she doesn't die.  She's actually invulnerable to damage, which isn't realistic, but makes for a much better experience when fighting alongside them.

If in Uncharted 2 they can take a look at how Half-Life 2 Episode 1 & 2 handled a companion and had Elena or Sully with you at all times, now that'd be very cool.  And not just for the gameplay mechanics they could put in, but in the fact that since they're around more, we could get a lot more of the great writing and acting between characters, and not just during cutscenes.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 31, 2008, 01:44:19 AM »

Personally I prefer that you don't have a companion the *entire* time. 

I found Elena useful because enemies would concentrate on her and then I could flank them. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: May 31, 2008, 01:59:43 AM »

Okay, okay, so maybe not all the time, but I'd like to have more segments like the early Sully and Nate exploring the ruins peacefully.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 31, 2008, 03:07:18 AM »

Yeah, I definitely agree there. 
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 07, 2008, 03:18:03 PM »

Finished the game tonight.  Mere words cannot describe what a complete package this game was.  At the very end I felt like I was watching an extremely satisfying ending to an excellent movie
Spoiler for Hiden:
("Sully you beautiful son of a bitch!!")
.  The combat, the graphics, the music, the speech dialogue, the pacing, even the unlockables at the end-everything was absolutely topnotch.  The only time I felt frustrated was with the jumping section with the heart and the keys (I fell to my death countless numbers of times).  The end for me was interesting-I don't know if I completely agree with the change in direction (enemies) the game took near the end, but I do know that for me, those last few chapters was one hell of a big adrenaline rush!!  It only took me about 9 hours but that was the perfect length of time for me.  Game of the PS3 console generation for me.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 11:10:03 PM by Canuck » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 07, 2008, 04:06:03 PM »

Canuck, you might want to spoiler that:

Spoiler for Hiden:
  I don't think people who are just starting would want to know that that Sully is around at the end since he apparently "dies" in the third chapter
tjg_marantz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: June 07, 2008, 08:21:33 PM »

Seems like as good a splace as any. Anyone want to trade MLB08 The Show for Drake's? Mint condition please smile PM me
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 12, 2008, 11:02:32 PM »

The final credits are rolling on this one now.

9/10, fantastic game.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 04, 2008, 06:48:44 PM »

Need another reason to go through the game again?

Trophies have just gone live for the US and Euroland.

Essentially the same as the "rewards" (or whatever they were called), there are some hidden trophies that don't specify exactly how to unlock. 

And it also should be noted, they are not retroactive.  You are going to have to replay the game, starting from a clean slate.

Seriously though, I've been wanted to play through the game again, and this provides excellent incentive biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 04, 2008, 07:14:33 PM »

I'll definitely play through again - Uncharted is one of my fav games this current gen.  Good stuff!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 04, 2008, 09:11:05 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on August 04, 2008, 06:48:44 PM

Need another reason to go through the game again?

Trophies have just gone live for the US and Euroland.

Essentially the same as the "rewards" (or whatever they were called), there are some hidden trophies that don't specify exactly how to unlock. 

And it also should be noted, they are not retroactive.  You are going to have to replay the game, starting from a clean slate.

Seriously though, I've been wanted to play through the game again, and this provides excellent incentive biggrin

Sweet thanks for the heads up.  Started the game and it auto-detected the update!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: