http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 10:16:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3]Uncharted:Drakes Fortune  (Read 28562 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: December 30, 2007, 08:15:32 PM »

GameTrailers has recently released their PS3 GOTY along with the 5 nominees.

Uncharted wasn't even a nominee.  How ridiculous is that!?

TheMissingLink on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 30, 2007, 09:04:31 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on December 30, 2007, 08:15:32 PM

from what I've played that is pretty ridiculous. Honestly, they should have kicked Oblivion off that list and given a totally new game it's moment in the spotlight.  heck, the only game on that list I have any desire to play on the PS3 is Ratchet & Clank- all the rest I already have for the PC or are Rock Band.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 30, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 30, 2007, 09:04:31 PM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on December 30, 2007, 08:15:32 PM

from what I've played that is pretty ridiculous. Honestly, they should have kicked Oblivion off that list and given a totally new game it's moment in the spotlight.  heck, the only game on that list I have any desire to play on the PS3 is Ratchet & Clank- all the rest I already have for the PC or are Rock Band.

Uncharted has been getting absolutely bullshit screwed by almost all the major sites in their GOTY and PS3 GOTY voting, and this from a guy who has only played an hour of Uncharted. Its just nonsense.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 30, 2007, 11:11:38 PM »

I've put about two hours into Uncharted so far and I'm completely in love with it. This game has personality up the wazoo, interaction between the characters during cutscenes makes Mass Effect look like it was made by high school kids. The graphics are beautiful, easily the best looking game I've ever played and not just because of the graphics engine but artistically as well. Obviously I'm still early in the game so I can't determine how the game is going to turn out as a whole, but I can say for sure that I haven't played a single game this year that matches the beauty and fluidness of Uncharted, its such a shame that it didn't sell well while buggy and rehashed crap does.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: December 31, 2007, 01:59:17 AM »

Yeah, I absolutely loved the game.  How this could not be in the top 3 or 4 for GOTY is beyond me.  I think they all use the excuse that it brings nothing new to the table.  No innovation.   Whatever. 

It is in my top 3 of the year and in my top 10 of all time.  Nuff said.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 31, 2007, 02:36:51 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on December 31, 2007, 01:59:17 AM

I think they all use the excuse that it brings nothing new to the table.  No innovation.   

the only game that brought anything reasonably new to the table on the GT GOTY list was Rock Band and the Portal portion of the Orange Box.

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 31, 2007, 04:43:51 AM »

What did Rock Band bring that was so new?  Instead of playing with a guitar you play with the drums?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: December 31, 2007, 05:04:10 AM »

Rock Band brought nothing new.  There were already many games in Japan and in US Arcades that had you beating on drums, singing into a mic, etc...

Same for Portal, for which the technology has been around for a while such as in Prey, all they did was give you control.  Unreal engine has had portal technology for a long time now, almost way back to the original Unreal 1.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 31, 2007, 07:12:02 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 31, 2007, 05:04:10 AM

Rock Band brought nothing new.  There were already many games in Japan and in US Arcades that had you beating on drums, singing into a mic, etc...

Same for Portal, for which the technology has been around for a while such as in Prey, all they did was give you control.  Unreal engine has had portal technology for a long time now, almost way back to the original Unreal 1.

I can't think of the last time I was at an arcade so I didn't know the drums and singing stuff was out there already (hell, I didn't think arcades existed anymore).  As for Portal, other than Prey I can't think of another game that uses portals in a portable way like that.

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 31, 2007, 10:33:26 AM »

Worthplaying has named Uncharted its PS3 GOTY.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 01, 2008, 12:14:37 AM »

I'm a bit further in and I'm still loving the game, the level design is beautiful and I can see how ICO inspired Naughty Dog. My only complaint is that some of the combat is hard and I feel like a lot of the frustration comes from the cover system which doesn't always work well with the camera.

Sean Lama
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: January 01, 2008, 02:53:55 PM »

I actually was glad it was 'hard' as the last thing I want is a walkthrough.  I don't want Ninja Gaiden ridiculous hard, but I do want to have to try a couple of times for the more difficult sections.  Makes me slow down and take my time. 

I truly loved this game.  Games with movie-quality acting and storyline are my thing lately.   

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 01, 2008, 10:06:49 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on January 01, 2008, 02:53:55 PM

I truly loved this game.  Games with movie-quality acting and storyline are my thing lately.   

I think it's been everyone's thing since the move to 3D with games like Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil, we just simply have a pool of poor developers to rely on to bring that experience to us and when they do, people don't accept it. I wish we as a community would stop being so gullible to all the propaganda marketing and make better purchasing decisions. I don't mean to make it sound like people were wrong for not buying Uncharted, to each his own, but to see the game tank so badly when obviously it's got so much talent and effort put into it just makes me weary.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 10:08:36 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 02, 2008, 08:22:05 PM »

A little late to the thread but I finished the game a few weeks back and loved it.  By far my favourite PS3 exclusive game.  It was just such a fun romp and I'm looking forward to going through a second time.  If you own a PS3, you need to at least rent this game.

16-bit and loving it!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: January 02, 2008, 08:36:21 PM »

finished this up last night.  fun game, even though the late game plot change is cringeworthy.  the last fight is a very cinematic and feels like how an indy movie would end. 

i found about half of the treasures and i was very careful about finding them, so they must be in some interesing locations.  oddly enough, i paused about 60% through the game and played and finished tomb raider legend.  this game beats tml in every way except one.  plot, level architecture and graphics, shooting (loved the cover mechanic) and enemy ai.  the only area it comes up second is in the puzzles uc gives it away too easily and re-uses the same tricks.  i hope the eidos people look and learn from this one.  i also hope ND goes for a sequel despite the financial prospects.  the've made a beautiful game in many ways and deserve to be recognized for it.

Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: January 02, 2008, 09:30:07 PM »

Have the sales been really bad for this game?  That's sad to hear.  You'd think with the lack of games for the PS3, when one gets greate reviews/word of mouth, it would sell like hotcakes.

16-bit and loving it!
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 03, 2008, 12:07:53 AM »

Quote from: Windows95 on January 02, 2008, 09:30:07 PM

Have the sales been really bad for this game?  That's sad to hear.  You'd think with the lack of games for the PS3, when one gets greate reviews/word of mouth, it would sell like hotcakes.

Yeah, I'm too lazy to dig up sales numbers but the game did very poor sales in it's first weeks. However, recall that Jack & Daxter (Naughty Dog's premier PS2 franchise) sold poorly initially as well, but lifetime sales picked up the tab and warranted sequels which also sold well. Hopefully that proves to be the case with Uncharted as well.

Sean Lama
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: January 03, 2008, 12:41:34 AM »

I hope it becomes a Tomb-Raiderish franchise.  If they can keep the quality up and add more variety in the gameplay that is. 

I beat it in a rental and decided to buy it because it impressed me so much, and that doesn't happen often.  Just had to have it around so I could pick it up and play it whenever.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 03, 2008, 03:05:51 AM »

According to Worthplaying, "In an interview with French LCI, Naughty Dog VP Christophe Balestra confirmed a sequel [to Uncharted] is planned, and development will commence soon."

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 03, 2008, 03:10:40 AM »

I'm much less worried about the existence of a sequel and more worried about a radical tone shift.  I'm fearing a "Warrior Within" style makeover.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 03, 2008, 03:19:54 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 03, 2008, 03:10:40 AM

I'm much less worried about the existence of a sequel and more worried about a radical tone shift.  I'm fearing a "Warrior Within" style makeover.

Even if they decide to go that route, as in they decide to go for a darker theme to appeal to a wider audience, I doubt it would be at an extreme measure but rather closer to the transition the Jak and Daxter franchise went through between the first game and Jak 2.

Sean Lama
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 03, 2008, 05:45:27 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 03, 2008, 03:19:54 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 03, 2008, 03:10:40 AM

Even if they decide to go that route, as in they decide to go for a darker theme to appeal to a wider audience, I doubt it would be at an extreme measure but rather closer to the transition the Jak and Daxter franchise went through between the first game and Jak 2.

The big difference for me is that I'm much, much happier with the first Uncharted than I was with Jax & Daxter 1.  I love Uncharted precisely because it somehow manages to feel amazingly fresh despite being obviously derivate of a number of sources.  I trust Naughty Dog but if Nate shaves his head and wears a wife beater for the second installment while prowling through a dingy overcast environment looking to avenge Elena then I'm gonna be pissed. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 03, 2008, 07:03:32 AM »

Hmm, the combat in this game can suck really hard sometimes. For the most part it works, but its so frustrating when they stick you in a room surrounded by enemies. The cover mechanic hardly works in those instances, and it takes way too long to take down enemies, you either have to get a headshot or deal with them dancing around as your bullets hit seemingly non-vital portions of their body. I hate to say it, but I'm quickly reaching reaching my frustration limit due to a few of these combat areas. Everything else about the game rocks though!

*After Edit*

Finally got past the part after about a dozen tries, hopefully there aren't too many more of those sections.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 08:46:56 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 03, 2008, 01:48:34 PM »

Don't hunker down in the combat. The key is to keep moving.  Prioritize enemies on your flank first.  Also, I harped on this a lot earlier in the thread but melee, melee, melee.  It's enormously useful. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 03, 2008, 02:18:12 PM »

Kevin you didn't spoiler in that last post did you? About Ellen? SAY IT AINT SO MAN!! I am just getting started frown No wait, don't tell me.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 03, 2008, 02:35:59 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 03, 2008, 02:18:12 PM

Kevin you didn't spoiler in that last post did you? About Ellen? SAY IT AINT SO MAN!! I am just getting started frown No wait, don't tell me.

Oh, god no,-  no spoilers at all. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 03, 2008, 02:47:08 PM »

Nice. And yes, lets start a campaign, shall we? Just say no to emo Nate?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 03, 2008, 03:26:12 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 03, 2008, 02:47:08 PM

Nice. And yes, lets start a campaign, shall we? Just say no to emo Nate?

Uncharted Angst?

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 06, 2008, 12:01:01 AM »

I just finished Uncharted and I loved it with the exception of 3-4 highly annoying areas where I had to die/retry about two dozen times in a row to get through. The graphics were absolutely gorgeous and rivaled only by Call of Duty 4, the sound was as good as it gets for gaming with excellent voice acting, sound effects, and the perfect musical score for the setting (jungle/ruins). I even really liked the story, it wasn't epic or anything but it had a few twists and turns that kept me interested the entire way through and I loved the characters.

I've played just about every worthwhile game that came out in 2007, Uncharted being the last of the 2007 releases that I got my hands on, and it was easily the best single player experience I've had all year, with CoD4 coming in a close second. I hope other developers play Uncharted and see what true movie-quality gaming is.

Sean Lama
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 06, 2008, 12:09:46 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 03, 2008, 01:48:34 PM

Prioritize enemies on your flank first.

y'know, i didn't really begin to get anywhere with the game til i figured that out smile (granted, it's still something easier said than done at times)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: January 06, 2008, 12:21:54 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 06, 2008, 12:01:01 AM

I've played just about every worthwhile game that came out in 2007, Uncharted being the last of the 2007 releases that I got my hands on, and it was easily the best single player experience I've had all year, with CoD4 coming in a close second. I hope other developers play Uncharted and see what true movie-quality gaming is.

I totally agree accept on one point-for me anyway-Bioshock came in second.  But I do agree with ya on Uncharted.  Can't wait for Drake's next adventure.  Fingers crossed sales will end up being enough to warrant it.  What a shame if this were the last.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 06, 2008, 11:54:10 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on January 06, 2008, 12:21:54 AM

Quote from: Ridah on January 06, 2008, 12:01:01 AM

I totally agree accept on one point-for me anyway-Bioshock came in second.  But I do agree with ya on Uncharted.  Can't wait for Drake's next adventure.  Fingers crossed sales will end up being enough to warrant it.  What a shame if this were the last.

Somewhere in this thread someone posted a link to the confirmation of a sequel.

Sean Lama
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 07, 2008, 04:05:04 PM »

ok, I'm about 55% through the game and the combat is starting to wear me down.  it's partly the lack of variety in enemies so far, the fact that there's a ridiculous number of them (plus the fact they come in waves) and the other fact that they seem to be everywhere.  One case is the jet ski portion, where there are all those exploding barrels that just happen to be floating around the ruins with all those pirates already stationed around- sure, it makes for some interesting action but at this point it's all getting to be 'rinse and repeat'.  Maybe if they had put in more locational damage for the combat other than body and headshot it would have spiced things up; right now I pretty much have it down it takes 3 pistols shots to drop a pistol/AK 47 guy or 5 shots to drop a Shotgun/Grenade guy, and even more shots with the AK47.  too bad the damage system from the Soldier of Fortune games never caught on....

Hopefully that twist in gameplay everyone talks about comes soon otherwise I may never finish this.  It started out with a big wow, but the whole fortress section seemed to last forever and there haven't been any fun exploring sections like the opening sequence with Sully.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 07, 2008, 04:13:02 PM »

What level are you at?  There is a bit of a change-up in enemies right after the final jet-ski bit on the river (pro-tip- in that segment you can fire and drive at the same time) and you start getting lots of cool new weapons as well (I pretty much never used the AK from that point on). 

The other "twist" is in the final third of the game but you should see some new enemy and weapon variety soon, as well as a bit more in puzzle and platforming. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 07, 2008, 04:24:21 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 07, 2008, 04:13:02 PM

What level are you at?  There is a bit of a change-up in enemies right after the final jet-ski bit on the river (pro-tip- in that segment you can fire and drive at the same time) and you start getting lots of cool new weapons as well (I pretty much never used the AK from that point on). 

The other "twist" is in the final third of the game but you should see some new enemy and weapon variety soon, as well as a bit more in puzzle and platforming. 

I'm just at the part in the flooded ruins where you zip cord down into a building after doing a bunch of jet skiing, I think it's chapter 9 right now.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 07, 2008, 04:27:40 PM »

Oh, you got a ways to go.  Does the game say you are at 55%?  There are 22 Chapters IIRC.  You'll see some new enemies around Chapter 11 or 12. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 07, 2008, 04:37:10 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 07, 2008, 04:27:40 PM

Oh, you got a ways to go.  Does the game say you are at 55%?  There are 22 Chapters IIRC.  You'll see some new enemies around Chapter 11 or 12. 

yeah, when I load my save game it says 55% complete.  It sounds like I should be getting to those new guys soon, so I shall soldier on!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 09, 2008, 04:51:10 PM »

holy hell I hated that upriver Jet Ski portion.  thanks for the tip about shooting Kevin.

I guess those pirates have an infinite exploding barrel generator somewhere....

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 09, 2008, 04:56:49 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 09, 2008, 04:51:10 PM

thanks for the tip about shooting Kevin.

I didn't see who gave the tip but I'm pretty sure that's against the CoC, especially since he's a moderator.
BiggerBoat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 10, 2008, 04:48:17 PM »

So, I bought a PS3 yesterday primarily as a blu-ray player. Best Buy had a "one free game" deal going with the purchase, and I picked up Drake's Fortune because I had heard some good things about it.

Reading some reviews, it seems like it's great but fairly short (8 hours). For me, this usually means a rental. Unless a game has huge replayability, I just don't have an interest in owning them anymore.

So, I've got an unopened copy and I've got it listed on Amazon right now -- figure I might as well offset some of the money spent on the system. However, I'd love to hear if there's some element of replay-value that is not apparent in the reviews -- beyond "collecting" things like alternate costumes, which doesn't appeal to me.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: