http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 02:42:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3]Uncharted:Drakes Fortune  (Read 28180 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2007, 04:13:45 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 16, 2007, 02:41:50 AM

Got a call from GameStop today letting me know they'll have the game Friday morning.

It's a shame, because all these new releases has hit my wallet hard, and I simply cannot afford the game.  Looks like I'll be holding off until SOMEBODY FREAKIN' HIRES ME.

Rest of you, enjoy, and check your local GameStop tomorrow biggrin

Ugh, I so want this game tomorrow.  With something like six GS's in a five mile radius, at least one should sell it to a non-preorder customer, right?  Right?  Especially on the PS3. 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2007, 04:22:25 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 16, 2007, 04:13:45 AM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 16, 2007, 02:41:50 AM

Got a call from GameStop today letting me know they'll have the game Friday morning.

It's a shame, because all these new releases has hit my wallet hard, and I simply cannot afford the game.  Looks like I'll be holding off until SOMEBODY FREAKIN' HIRES ME.

Rest of you, enjoy, and check your local GameStop tomorrow biggrin

Ugh, I so want this game tomorrow.  With something like six GS's in a five mile radius, at least one should sell it to a non-preorder customer, right?  Right?  Especially on the PS3. 

That is my EXACT thought process going into tomorrow.

gellar
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2007, 05:44:33 AM »

Yep I got the call as well but funny since I called around 4 and they said next week then got called at 6:30, then called back to store and they said tomorrow.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 16, 2007, 06:12:14 PM »

Success!!! It's sitting in my car.  A surprisingly pleasant Gamestop experience too- no hard sells and no guilt about not preordering. 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2007, 06:22:46 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 16, 2007, 06:12:14 PM

Success!!! It's sitting in my car.  A surprisingly pleasant Gamestop experience too- no hard sells and no guilt about not preordering. 

I am jealous and hate you.  I predict utter disaster when I go in on my way home.  There are two Gamestops within 1 block of each other.  This is still going to end very poorly.

gellar
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: November 16, 2007, 06:26:18 PM »

This game is the ONLY game exclusive to the PS3 that would make me want one right now.  Looks freakin awesome.  I predict, for me anyway when I finally get to play it, that it will be the #1 game for any system this gen to date.  Everything about it just has my tastes written all over it. 

In a year or two when I pick up a PS3 this will be the first game I get to go with it. 

Enjoy you guys.  I envy you.  If money wasn't so tight that I had to sell my PS3 a month ago, I would join you myself.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 16, 2007, 06:33:13 PM »

Yep, along with Ratchet & Clank, this makes 2 drool-worthy, must-have games nudging me a little closer to finally wanting a PS3. Resistance and Motorstorm might be bargain bin titles, but their luster seems to be fading a bit with time. Have fun with Drake's you guys! I'll just have to try and occupy my time this weekend with other games like Crysis, Call of Duty 4, Mario, and Assassin's Creed. frown

slywink
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 16, 2007, 06:35:32 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on November 16, 2007, 06:33:13 PM

Yep, along with Ratchet & Clank, this makes 2 drool-worthy, must-have games nudging me a little closer to finally wanting a PS3. Resistance and Motorstorm might be bargain bin titles, but their luster seems to be fading a bit with time. Have fun with Drake's you guys! I'll just have to try and occupy my time this weekend with other games like Crysis, Call of Duty 4, Mario, and Assassin's Creed. frown

slywink

Yeah, I have all of those on my plate as well (minus CoD 4 since I've already finished it twice).  Don't know when I'll find the time but Uncharted is now at the top of the stack for me.  Don't let the luster fade on Resistance though- it's an incredible game and very underrated.  Definitely grab it whenever you get a PS3.   
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 16, 2007, 09:53:03 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 16, 2007, 06:12:14 PM

Shockingly enough, my experience was similar-I think because I called and they asked me all the retarded questions on the phone, but did say that they would be nice enough to still sell me one even though I didn't preorder it-they of course had "JUST A FEW" copies they could still sell. The douchebaggery is startling, but the kid was nice and gave it to me without harassment and I was cautiously pleased with my visit. Going to start it later tonight.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2007, 10:02:06 PM »

Eurogamer has a transcript of a fan-chat interview with Naughty Dog's co-president, Even Wells, about this game:
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=87721
A few things to arbitrarily highlight smile:
-Obli asks: How hard would it be to port Uncharted to the Xbox 360? I'm not just talking storage constraints (Blu-ray). Could Uncharted be faithfully recreated without the use of Cell?

Evan Wells: I won't say that it would be impossible, but it would be very difficult and we most certainly would have to make enough concessions that it would start to feel like a different game. One thing that would be particularly difficult would be keeping the game load-free. The HDD really came in handy and allowed us to have pretty big open levels with lots of detail
========================
Phattso asks: Clearly Uncharted has been in development for quite a while, but there are some parallels between the combat/cover mechanics it offers (which are great, by the way) and those from last year's Gears of War. Was this a conscious effort to take what Epic did and hone it to perfection, or was it just a case of two separate development houses arriving at the same control scheme as a logical solution for similar gameplay/control requirements? Also, what's your favourite colour?

Evan Wells: We had been working on our cover taking mechanics for 6 or 8 months before we saw Gears. We were initially attracted to the idea after seeing it in Kill.Switch [I think it's first time I ever saw a dev give credit to Kill.Switch for the cover-fire mechanic  icon_cool -blackjack]. We felt that it really helped create the feeling of being pinned down and we thought that would suit our pulp action/adventure genre nicely. Of course when Gears came out and we saw what a great job they did with it really raised the bar on what we had to achieve and we were definitely pushed to step our game up. And I like Green.
===============
-mcwildcard asks: Why do you think other developers have seemingly struggled to get to grips with the PS3 dev kits, whilst Naughty Dog has managed to put together what appears to be a polished and seamless game, with no obvious technical faults?

Evan Wells: I don't think it's problems with the PS3. Next-gen game development is tricky business. I think you're seeing a lot of developers struggle with the Xbox as well. It just so happens that the 360 has been out there for more than a year longer and people have had more time to work with it.
Pretty good questions for a fan-Q chat, well, OK, "What's your favorite color?" not so much. And some of them are kind of brown-nosing. OK I take it back, the questions were awful! icon_lol

It's just sometimes chat Q&As are full of "filler questions" ("Hey, how is your game SO AWESOME?").  disgust icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 10:04:34 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 16, 2007, 10:20:35 PM »

After an hour of play:

Awesome graphics...  Check!
Best character animation I've ever seen...  Check!
Fantastic voice acting... Check!
Solid story and dialogue...    Check!
Very good combat system... Check!
GOTY....   Very well could be!

Seriously, if you like action adventure games, this is THE game to get. It's like Tomb Raider with all the suck removed. The combat system is awesome and the controls are perfect. I'm not 100% sure, but I also think the graphics in the final game have been upgraded over the demo. I'll have to try the demo again to be certain.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2007, 10:29:28 PM »

MUST HAVE THIS GAME TODAY YARRGGHHHH.

gellar
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 16, 2007, 11:03:51 PM »

Took a late lunch and picked it up from Gamestop . . . since my 40 gig PS3 was delivered earlier today . . .  icon_biggrin
I'll post impressions later tonight . . .

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 17, 2007, 12:42:44 AM »

Go figure.  Not only did they have Uncharted, but they also had a Wii so I could get my Mom one for her birthday.  Go Gamestop.

gellar
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 17, 2007, 03:41:18 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 16, 2007, 09:53:03 PM

they of course had "JUST A FEW" copies they could still sell.

Don't suppose there's any chance he was actually telling the truth, do you?
I think we had 3 reserves, one of which is mine.
My store got in 8 copies. Yup, that's all.

If we don't get reserves, we don't get many copies to sell. That simple.
Ultimately, that means our sales lag behind, and I don't have a job.

Now, I'll grant you this...the business with not selling to those w/o preorders when they
do have plenty of copies--that's inexcusable, but at least try and keep the above in
mind when they ask if you'd like to preorder. A simple "No thanks" should suffice
if you aren't.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 03:44:43 AM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: November 17, 2007, 03:53:27 AM »

Holy.....wow, this game is awesome!  I'm through three chapters at this point, and other than some foliage pop-in and the occasional blind leap, I'm hard pressed to find a fault!  I'm impressed!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 17, 2007, 04:11:36 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 17, 2007, 03:53:27 AM

Holy.....wow, this game is awesome!  I'm through three chapters at this point, and other than some foliage pop-in and the occasional blind leap, I'm hard pressed to find a fault!  I'm impressed!

Yep!  I'm not sure I've played a more polished, smoother experience all year.  Load times are pretty much zero, everything is fast and fluid, production values out the wazoo (voice acting is great and there is a real sense of camaraderie with your companions). 

Also, I don't think the demo is necessarily representative of the whole experience.  So far there has been a lot more exploration than the demo showed- it's not just combat arena after combat arena.

Another cool thing not in the demo- how well your companions fight.  They can hold there own and, more importantly, distract the enemy so you can circle behind them and do some truly badass finishing moves.   

Plus you've even got unlockables in the form of various "treasures" hidden around the environment that you can find. 
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 17, 2007, 04:22:49 AM »

All the enthusiasm sent me out looking at several reviews, and unfortunately, they all seem to mention the same problem that's been plaguing all the good PS3 releases: they're really short.  I value quality over quantity just like the next gamer, but when games like Heavenly Sword can be played from start to finish over a casual weekend, it's hard to justify a $60 price tag.

I'll be interested to see how people feel about the length of the game as they have a chance to play further into it.

-Autistic Angel
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 17, 2007, 06:08:28 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on November 17, 2007, 04:22:49 AM

All the enthusiasm sent me out looking at several reviews, and unfortunately, they all seem to mention the same problem that's been plaguing all the good PS3 releases: they're really short.  I value quality over quantity just like the next gamer, but when games like Heavenly Sword can be played from start to finish over a casual weekend, it's hard to justify a $60 price tag.
-Autistic Angel

Er, PS3 releases?  Welcome to next gen, period.  Call of Duty 4 was only 6-7 hours whether you played it on 360 or PS3 (albeit an awesome 6-7 hours).  Gears of War took me about 7-8 hours and one hour of that was the stupid final boss.  Most of the reviews I've seen for Uncharted mention 8-10 hours which is frankly the norm for most next gen titles and isn't even considered short anymore. 

Also, R&C Future was 12-15 hours which is "long" these days. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: November 17, 2007, 06:17:01 AM »

By the way, anyone else having reversed stereo problems with Uncharted?  For some reason the stereo signal is reversed in this game, it's making combat a lot harder because shots that should sound like they're coming from the front, left sound like they're coming from the rear, right.  It's very disorienting.

edit:  a friend and I were alternating playing through the game.  Very, very fun.  We got a few medals and such, which then gave us some unlockables.  One of the unlocks was "Fast Movement" where Nate moves a whole lot faster.  Not sure if this is meant as a cheat or what, but it's still pretty cool, especially for people going through second playthroughs.

What I really love, and hope other games repeat, is that unlike just crappy achievement points, these medals actually unlock cool things.  Whereas in a lot of games lately the achievements are just the points, and nothing else.  I still remember back in the day when achievements meant things like Paintball mode in Goldeneye and such.

Oh, and my main annoyance with the game is how accurate the enemies are while moving, and how numerous they can be.  The developers didn't do a good enough job of putting in player cues as to the direction that he's being attacked in, especially since they tend to have enemies jump in from a direction opposite where the last wave of enemies were dispatched.  Then there's the constant waves of them.  Where Bungie had cut and pasted level design, Uncharted has you staying in the same location fighting waves of enemies to add a bit of extra time.  Thankfully the gunplay is fun, and smooth.

Otherwise the story is really charming, all the characters have real chemistry which is amazing for a video game.  Platforming is great, no need for pixel perfect positioning and timing.  They do have the dreaded timed button presses during cinematics, but the only thing they use it for is a simple dodge using only the circle button.  So far that's the only thing they use it for, and it's used very sparingly.  Thus, I can enjoy watching the cutscenes without fear of missing some on screen button press indicator.

Oh and yes, there are many different weapons from the looks of it.  I recently got my first Uzi, not as accurate as the handgun, but more useful overall.

If you're low on ammo, try a Brutal Combo against someone with the gun type you need ammo for, enemies will drop twice the amount of ammo if killed that way.  However, one of the other small annoyances with the game is during melee combat, you're still being shot at by enemies, while realistic, it's not as adventure hero-like.  I mean, in Indiana Jones as soon as a fist fight started people tended to stop shooting until the fist fight was over.

As for game length, yep, it's a sign of the times.  Which is also why I want to see developers go back to using more stylized art designs.  Much like how Japanese developers still use anime style designs or even 2D sprites still is that they can be done more quickly and cheaply, saving money and man hours to put into the gameplay segments.  Of course, some games really are just a set length, especially story heavy games like Uncharted and R&C.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 10:56:35 AM by Turtle » Logged
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 17, 2007, 11:18:32 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 17, 2007, 04:11:36 AM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 17, 2007, 03:53:27 AM

Yep!  I'm not sure I've played a more polished, smoother experience all year.  Load times are pretty much zero, everything is fast and fluid, production values out the wazoo (voice acting is great and there is a real sense of camaraderie with your companions). 

Also, I don't think the demo is necessarily representative of the whole experience.  So far there has been a lot more exploration than the demo showed- it's not just combat arena after combat arena.

Another cool thing not in the demo- how well your companions fight.  They can hold there own and, more importantly, distract the enemy so you can circle behind them and do some truly badass finishing moves.   

Plus you've even got unlockables in the form of various "treasures" hidden around the environment that you can find. 

Arggh, this sounds so good, but even though I rushed out to get Uncharted this morning (As expected), I decided to finish up Crysis first-and since I was taking my sweet time doing all sorts of crazy stuff with Crysis, I didn't get to Uncharted today (as expected!)-but thanks to your post I am regretting it smile Either way I will get on it tomorrow-glad you haven't been let down.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 17, 2007, 07:35:09 PM »

Best game I've played all year.  I can't stop playing.  It's amazing.

gellar
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 17, 2007, 09:10:28 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 17, 2007, 06:08:28 AM

-Autistic Angel

Er, PS3 releases?  Welcome to next gen, period.  Call of Duty 4 was only 6-7 hours whether you played it on 360 or PS3 (albeit an awesome 6-7 hours).  Gears of War took me about 7-8 hours and one hour of that was the stupid final boss.  Most of the reviews I've seen for Uncharted mention 8-10 hours which is frankly the norm for most next gen titles and isn't even considered short anymore. 

true. the differentiation that's made, time-wise, between recent ps3 releases (where it's always emphasized in reviews) & games like gears (where single-player times are downplayed) is supposedly that the latter also have online content. but, if you're like me (& a few other people) who don't do online, that's pretty much irrelevant. were reviewers to simply mention single-player times alone, for all titles, a clearer picture would emerge...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 17, 2007, 09:16:41 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 17, 2007, 06:08:28 AM

-Autistic Angel

I don't want to derail the thread too much, but as I've become older and gained more responsibilities, I've discovered that I really prefer my games to be tightly woven, shorter experiences. I've noticed that once I reach hour 7-8 in an FPS, or hour 20-25 in a JRPG, I'm usually burned out on the game. There just seems to be too much filler or reused elements if gameplay exceeds these timeframes.

Several years ago, I used to look at a JRPG and loved to see the words "over 80 hours of gameplay!". Now when I see those same words I'm cynically thinking about the 40 hours of that gameplay centered upon mindless grinding or boring recipe collection.

Taken another way (for you JRPG fans) I have passed the point in my life where I'm even willing to consider the thought of recruiting all 108 Stars of destiny in a Suikoden game.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 17, 2007, 10:15:02 PM »

I have to agree with the above post about many of the PS3 games not being worth the $60 price tag.  I have rented Heavenly Sword and  Ratchet.  And I will probably rent Uncharted too.  Yes they are all great games.  But with zero multiplayer I simply cannot justify the $60 price tag.   Yes Call of Duty was short.  But the multiplayer was almost a whole other game.  No matter how great uncharted is I won't buy it.  I just can't justify playing it and then putting it on the shelf never to touch it a gain.  I'd rather play it over the course of a rental and then drop it into the Blockbuster slot.

This has to be hurting sales for what are otherwise great games.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 17, 2007, 10:40:12 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 17, 2007, 10:15:02 PM

I have to agree with the above post about many of the PS3 games not being worth the $60 price tag.  I have rented Heavenly Sword and  Ratchet.  And I will probably rent Uncharted too.  Yes they are all great games.  But with zero multiplayer I simply cannot justify the $60 price tag.   Yes Call of Duty was short.  But the multiplayer was almost a whole other game.  No matter how great uncharted is I won't buy it.  I just can't justify playing it and then putting it on the shelf never to touch it a gain.  I'd rather play it over the course of a rental and then drop it into the Blockbuster slot.

While I understand where you are coming from, do you really want multiplayer in something like Uncharted?  How would that work?  What could it possibly offer over games like CoD4, TF2, or Halo 3 that have huge quantities of their dev budgets devoted to mp.  Ratchet used to have multiplayer in both UYA and Deadlocked and no one ever played it so they scrapped it from Future. 

Again, I can understand why that makes someone rent versus buy but if people are truly so concerned about quantity for their dollar I question why anyone would play single player anything to begin with. 

Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 17, 2007, 11:34:10 PM »

As the end credits roll, I have to say, Naughty Dog really fucked up the second half with this one. They really got close.

They crafted a beautiful game, with a decent combat mechanic, but they royally fucked up the plot and pacing as the game moves forward. What starts as a great Indiana Jones esqe treasure hunt quickly devolves into literally running around in circles in the island, fighting respawning waves of troops who never are explained how they got there or why. Every step you make in the game, the waves of mobs are always there too, even to the point of ruining both the climax and epilogue. The end boss "level" is absolutely punishing, not rewarding the player for skill or tactics, but rather just a trial and error gunfight clusterfuck with too few savepoints.

And yes...it always succumbs to the worst fucking story crutch in the history of gaming. Nazis. Oh no, not just the cool sub in the middle of the jungle...it gets worse.

First Half of the Game - 9.5
Second Half of Game - 8.5 - 1.0 from Tears of being let down = 7.5

Overall = I want a sequel from a real writer, less stupid combat, more puzzles and great cutscenes.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 17, 2007, 11:58:40 PM »

Damn. That's really disappointing given how clever this looked to be. I expected it could be this fall's killer app exclusive on the PS3 as a new classic adventure game. Looks like Ratchet & Clank aren't getting dethroned just yet.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 18, 2007, 12:37:59 AM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on November 17, 2007, 11:34:10 PM

As the end credits roll, I have to say, Naughty Dog really fucked up the second half with this one. They really got close.

They crafted a beautiful game, with a decent combat mechanic, but they royally fucked up the plot and pacing as the game moves forward. What starts as a great Indiana Jones esqe treasure hunt quickly devolves into literally running around in circles in the island, fighting respawning waves of troops who never are explained how they got there or why. Every step you make in the game, the waves of mobs are always there too, even to the point of ruining both the climax and epilogue. The end boss "level" is absolutely punishing, not rewarding the player for skill or tactics, but rather just a trial and error gunfight clusterfuck with too few savepoints.

And yes...it always succumbs to the worst fucking story crutch in the history of gaming. Nazis. Oh no, not just the cool sub in the middle of the jungle...it gets worse.

First Half of the Game - 9.5
Second Half of Game - 8.5 - 1.0 from Tears of being let down = 7.5

Overall = I want a sequel from a real writer, less stupid combat, more puzzles and great cutscenes.

What is it with developers ruining the later parts of their games? Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Vampire: The Masquerade, Gears of War, etc.  I can name  so many games that start out with wonderful pacing, and then end with waves of enemies, a disintegrating storyline,  and/or obscenely hard bosses.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: November 18, 2007, 12:39:39 AM »

I'm just about half way through the game, and yes there's droves of enemies unfortunately.

I find myself wishing for something like the earlier exploration where there were no enemies around and just lots of exploration.  I think they really should have kept alternating between long stretches without combat with lots more exploring and platforming, then a few segments of enemies.  They could have drastically improved the pacing of the game, and extended the length by having some more freeform puzzle and exploration/platforming areas of the game with no combat.

However, the game is still a lot of fun.  Worth the money I paid for it.

I wonder if Haze will meet people's needs for a good multiplayer shooter on the PS3, at least until Killzone 2 or some other future title.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 12:45:53 AM by Turtle » Logged
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 18, 2007, 01:27:46 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on November 18, 2007, 12:37:59 AM

What is it with developers ruining the later parts of their games? Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Vampire: The Masquerade, Gears of War, etc.  I can name  so many games that start out with wonderful pacing, and then end with waves of enemies, a disintegrating storyline,  and/or obscenely hard bosses.

in a word, rushed...

Quote from: Pharaoh on November 17, 2007, 11:34:10 PM

And yes...

insert spoiler tags here?...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 18, 2007, 01:47:39 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 17, 2007, 10:40:12 PM

While I understand where you are coming from, do you really want multiplayer in something like Uncharted?  How would that work?  What could it possibly offer over games like CoD4, TF2, or Halo 3 that have huge quantities of their dev budgets devoted to mp.  Ratchet used to have multiplayer in both UYA and Deadlocked and no one ever played it so they scrapped it from Future. 

You make good points.  I guess I'm not railing against the lack of multiplayer as much as the $60 price point.  For me there is a mental barrier at ~$50 where I think hard about a purchase versus a rental.  I absolutely would have purchased Ratchet for $40.  But at $60 it was a no-brainer rental.  Warhawk was also half a game.  But at $39.99 I bought it without hesitation.  Call of Duty 4 was one of my favorite single player campaigns of all time.  But without the multiplayer I still would not value the game at $60. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 18, 2007, 02:05:07 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 18, 2007, 01:47:39 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 17, 2007, 10:40:12 PM

You make good points.  I guess I'm not railing against the lack of multiplayer as much as the $60 price point.  For me there is a mental barrier at ~$50 where I think hard about a purchase versus a rental.  I absolutely would have purchased Ratchet for $40.  But at $60 it was a no-brainer rental.  Warhawk was also half a game.  But at $39.99 I bought it without hesitation.  Call of Duty 4 was one of my favorite single player campaigns of all time.  But without the multiplayer I still would not value the game at $60. 

For me, as a single player only gamer, I know I'm not going to be out more than $10 so I don't sweat it too much.  I've had enormously good luck selling games for about $50 on Ebay as long as it's within the first two weeks of release. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 18, 2007, 02:07:34 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on November 17, 2007, 11:58:40 PM

Damn. That's really disappointing given how clever this looked to be. I expected it could be this fall's killer app exclusive on the PS3 as a new classic adventure game. Looks like Ratchet & Clank aren't getting dethroned just yet.

We'll see how I feel when I finish, but, right now, Uncharted > R&C.  I haven't played a game that made me feel the same way since Sands of Time in 2003. 
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 18, 2007, 04:42:14 AM »

So... did anyone not like the demo, but love the full game? I didn't like the demo but thought the game would probably be a lot more fun.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 18, 2007, 04:48:33 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on November 18, 2007, 04:42:14 AM

So... did anyone not like the demo, but love the full game? I didn't like the demo but thought the game would probably be a lot more fun.

Depends- what didn't you like about the demo?  The demo doesn't showcase the variety the full game has.  It's also not the best introduction to combat either (which I'm enjoying more and more as I get farther into the game). 
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 18, 2007, 04:53:53 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 18, 2007, 04:48:33 AM

Depends- what didn't you like about the demo?  The demo doesn't showcase the variety the full game has.  It's also not the best introduction to combat either (which I'm enjoying more and more as I get farther into the game). 
Mostly, the combat felt slow and HARD, and then the platforming was rare, and when it came time to do it, wasn't all that impressive.

Also, I never felt I got a chance to explore, as I was fighting off enemies from the second I entered an area.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 18, 2007, 05:00:58 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on November 18, 2007, 04:53:53 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 18, 2007, 04:48:33 AM

Mostly, the combat felt slow and HARD, and then the platforming was rare, and when it came time to do it, wasn't all that impressive.

Also, I never felt I got a chance to explore, as I was fighting off enemies from the second I entered an area.

Combat is actually designed to be played fast paced.  I'd recommend turning up the sensitivity two or three notches.  While it relies on cover mechanics, you can't really just hunker down.  Enemies will flank and liberally use grenades.  Instead it's about moving from cover to cover rapidly.  Also, melee attacks are incredibly useful.  The "brutal combo" of Circle-Triangle-Circle is tough to pull off in combat (but oh, so satisfying) but the "Fast, Furious Combo" (just spam the circle button) works well and, depending on how you approach an enemy, you can do a one hit melee kill. 

I'm playing on normal and while it ain't easy, I wouldn't call it hard at all.  The game seems to get the sweet spot where I continuously get through combat by the skin of my teeth, using every weapon I can find, but never dying too frequently so iit sn't frustrating.

The full game has *a lot* more platforming in it.  I'd say it's probably 50/50 or maybe 60/40 (combat/platform).  It's kind of a shame the demo level isn't longer- almost as soon as it ends, the full game has some very cool platform segments. 
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 18, 2007, 09:05:40 AM »

I'm still just playing the demo but it got a whole lot better with DualShock 3's!! I loves my DualShock3 smile
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: November 18, 2007, 01:09:42 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 18, 2007, 02:07:34 AM

Quote from: Farscry on November 17, 2007, 11:58:40 PM

We'll see how I feel when I finish, but, right now, Uncharted > R&C.  I haven't played a game that made me feel the same way since Sands of Time in 2003. 

That's what I am looking for in any game is that sense of being lost in it to where it is all you think about til done. Nothing since the original God of War and Rez Evil 4 have done that to me.  And to top if off both were very very very replayable.   Rez's inventory/cash-management system had you making tough decisions as to what weapon's to upgrade and carry and that made it replayable trying different weapon upgrades and load outs the next time.  And the little Mercenaries mini game was icing on the cake.  I find most other adventure games since then offer phenomenal gaming experiences but don't add that little extra or whatever to make you come back 3 or 4 or 5 times like I have those I just mentioned.  I wish developers would focus on that stuff for single player games more.  That, to me, is a sign of gaming genius.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 01:14:31 PM by mikeg » Logged

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: