http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 11:05:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3]Uncharted:Drakes Fortune  (Read 28473 times)
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2007, 08:13:03 PM »

Has anyone tried any of the splitfish controllers?

The frag fx looks pretty cool.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2007, 11:46:38 PM »

Paging Kevin Grey-this is one of his most anticipated games, and all we have heard is the only part he doesn't like is the Sixaxis part! More!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2007, 12:29:38 AM »

Like many PS3 games, you can easily turn off the motion control segments in Uncharted.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2007, 12:35:14 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 11, 2007, 12:29:38 AM

Like many PS3 games, you can easily turn off the motion control segments in Uncharted.

That is true (R&C also had an option to kill it).

Well, short of Lair anyway. Sorry, just had to.  Roll Eyes

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2007, 02:25:27 AM »

Yeah, well look what happened to Lair because of that. slywink
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2007, 03:21:04 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 10, 2007, 11:46:38 PM

Paging Kevin Grey-this is one of his most anticipated games, and all we have heard is the only part he doesn't like is the Sixaxis part! More!

I don't have a lot more to add yet- short of the six axis issue, I loved pretty much everything else in it so, in terms of actual mechanics, I'm pretty confident that the game is going to be great although the question of level design, environmental variety, story, ect are still up in the air.  But the demo certainly confirmed this as one of my most anticipated titles for the year. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2007, 03:49:45 AM »

I finally got to play through the demo.  I'm sold, however they really need a better indicator of where gunfire is coming from if they're going to throw so many enemies at you at a time.

I really loved the animation, especially how enemies are constantly doing new and interesting things while attacking you.  Well, actually, the AI really is just standing and shooting at you, but they always add little animations that give them character.  In one instance, in that corridor right after you get your first grenade I took out two enemies coming at me, the third enemy took cover and started shooting back.  I stayed in cover mostly so he started shooting even more wildly, even stepping out of cover to make some rude and insulting gestures at me.  I promptly shot him.  In other cases you see enemies always popping out of cover in different ways both subtle and drastic instead of the same animation over and over.  Enemies climb down ledges differently, slide into cover, etc... The AI is also aggressive, which I like.  At first I was a little stunned at how aggressive and effective the AI was, not what I was expecting in a game like Uncharted, once I adapted to this the firefights became very, very fun.

I recall that in one of the interviews this was one of the big things they were striving for.  They knew that the enemy AI, while good, was basically going to do a lot of running around and shooting at you, and that's it.  So instead of just using the same cookie cutter animations, they gave them a bit more life by making sure that while they were just shooting and running around, they looked like they had character while doing so.  I think they succeeded.

Okay, the strange thing is, I kind of liked the log balancing with the motion controls.  You don't have to go that slowly, just as soon as you see his arms sway in one direction, just tilt in the other.  It's weird, because like others, I actually hate a lot of motion control implementations like this.  I think it's because of Kevin's earlier warning that this was how the balancing worked.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2007, 04:11:19 AM »

Question about this statement:

I wasnt fully aware of how important it was for us to support 1080i. Up until earlier today we were only supporting 720p (and SD of course) but reading through these comments, it was brought to my attention the number of people who had HDTVs but would not be able to experience Uncharted in high-def. So we immediately went to work and Im pleased to announce here, for the first time, that we have now implemented 1080 support!

So does this mean 1080p support? And if so, is it some sort of upscale or is it true 1080p, which I thought couldn't be done with current consoles?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2007, 04:19:38 AM »

No, it just means they support 1080i.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2007, 04:25:28 AM »

That's what I thought it meant, but how can that be possible if the PS3 doesn't support 1080i?

Sean Lama
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2007, 04:35:59 AM »

Actually, the PS3 itself supports 1080i output, however, there's weirdness, or perhaps a lack of, a hardware upscaler in the PS3 for some reason.  Since most games are natively rendered at 720p on the PS3, and some older TVs only support 480 and 1080i, there was a problem in the older PS3 games where people with those older (read: crappy) HDTVs had the signal drop to 480, instead of upscaling to 1080i from 720p.  This was as much a problem with older HDTVs than it was with the broken or missing upscaler.

Somehow Sony fixed the issue with an SDK update, but developers who started development ealier still need to implement the 1080i update.

If you have a recent TV, the 1080i issue won't affect you at all since your TV should support the 720p signal, which is in some ways superior.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 04:46:43 AM by Turtle » Logged
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2007, 01:00:40 PM »

just played through the demo and WOW, really really liked what i saw.   this is a game i'm bumping Assassin's Creed off Gamefly for.

one question though (since i've read nothing about this game), is there suppose to be a good story in there?   hoping this is the case, would make this an even more top title for me.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2007, 02:54:11 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on November 12, 2007, 01:00:40 PM

one question though (since i've read nothing about this game), is there suppose to be a good story in there?   hoping this is the case, would make this an even more top title for me.

Hopefully the story will be very good.  It's written by Amy Hennig, who was responsible for a good portion of the writing in the Soul Reaver series (which usually had really good stories). 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2007, 04:03:04 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 12, 2007, 02:54:11 PM

Quote from: Xmann on November 12, 2007, 01:00:40 PM

Hopefully the story will be very good.  It's written by Amy Hennig, who was responsible for a good portion of the writing in the Soul Reaver series (which usually had really good stories). 

i was surprised when i heard that - just re-played thru a bit of soul reaver 2 a few weeks ago, & it was as cool as i remembered it being...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2007, 08:32:54 PM »

So far the characterization is good.  I love the way Nate grumbles a lot to himself.

One thing that I found while playing the demo was that there's locations where you can press L2 to get a closer look at, specifically, in the area where there's an old columnade and lots of enemies, there's some weird pole with triangular flags sticking out of it partially hidden behind vines.  If you walk up it'll show the L2 button and if you press that you'll slightly zoom in on it and Nate will say, "That's weird."

I hope they use this little feature a bit more to have Nate give some commentary on things just like a point and click adventure would.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2007, 02:15:41 AM »

IGN gives Uncharted a 9.1

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/834/834931p1.html

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2007, 02:20:27 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 14, 2007, 02:15:41 AM

Also 3 8.5's from EGM (one of which will be the 1Up score). 
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2007, 03:49:34 AM »

Wow 9.1 that's great. I played the demo and enjoyed it a lot.  I thought it was a little action heavy though.  Hopefully there is more exploring and puzzle-solving.  Still I would definitely like to play this one.  It's not a Day 1 purchase for me (almost no games are) but it's definitely on my "must play sometime" list.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2007, 04:32:49 AM »

Just read that review, they say how the AI teammates are actually really helpful, cool!  I always love helpful AI teammates that can then be used to have story/character moments without the need for them to magically pop in then disappear.

It's a pretty well written review, sounds about the 8.5-9.5 range.  These reviews, the demo (which I've played about 5 times now) will make this a purchase for me.

One thing they note is that the game is still a combat heavy, so those looking for a more puzzle and platforming game should try a rental or avoid.  But they do state that the puzzle platforming aspect isn't as frustrating as other games.  Where in other games like Tomb Raider you have to deal with sluggish controls, and perfect positioning to get from area to area, Uncharted gives you a lot of leeway, with Nate's animations taking up the slack and grabbing onto ledges you would have narrowly missed.

The reviewer also says he took around 8 hours, and that was just him powering through the game non-stop.  So it's likely it'll take casual or medium gamers 10-13 hours.  He also mentioned that there's a ton of hidden things to look for and 4 difficulty levels.

Now I'm just waiting to see how Haze does in reviews because I'm looking for some 4 player co-op action, and a multiplayer FPS other than resistance.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 04:37:07 AM by Turtle » Logged
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2007, 05:55:34 AM »

Yay, really happy with a solid 9.1 review. Will read the text of it here in a minute, but after the demo I was sold and now that we have a solid review its totally cemented. I know I won't play it immediately (Same day as mass effect), but about a week or 10 days later I will be ready for it and I really can't wait to play it.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2007, 06:33:53 AM »

Well every time I play the demo I just enjoy it more and more.  Even the combat doesn't bother me so much now that the controls are becoming second nature.  I also love the jumping and how it's NOT like Tomb Raider (at least the older ones anyways).  I can make a jump from any angle I want and he ALWAYS grabs the god damn ledge!  I haven't missed a jump yet.  It's brilliant.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2007, 05:13:30 PM »

Eurogamer 9/10.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2007, 06:20:43 PM »

gamestop just changed my shipping date to 11/16!...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2007, 07:00:11 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on November 14, 2007, 06:20:43 PM

another early release date? 

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2007, 07:23:14 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 14, 2007, 07:00:11 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on November 14, 2007, 06:20:43 PM

another early release date? 

Official PSN blog insists its launching the 20th, but GS has had the game listed as the 15th for a long time.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2007, 07:37:55 PM »

Maybe this one'll get me off the fence. Takes a third-personer for motion sickness-ridden me.  thumbsup

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »

Gamespy has posted their review - 4.5/5.

It stands out from the current sea of first-person shooters, and you won't find a better action/adventure game this year.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2007, 11:44:56 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on November 14, 2007, 11:15:00 PM

Gamespy has posted their review - 4.5/5.

It stands out from the current sea of first-person shooters, and you won't find a better action/adventure game this year.

I wonder if they mean just on the PS3 or including all platforms, which would pit it against Mario.

Sean Lama
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2007, 11:50:41 PM »

Is Mario considered an action/adventure game?
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2007, 11:53:46 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 14, 2007, 11:50:41 PM

Is Mario considered an action/adventure game?

debatable I guess, but I'd call it more platformer

but then, what is R&C Future?  action/adventure or platformer?  cause going just based on the Uncharted demo, I like R&C a lot more
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 15, 2007, 12:49:30 AM »

I'd call both Mario & R&C platformers.  I take "action/adventure" to mean games like Metroid and Zelda.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 15, 2007, 03:31:25 AM »

IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 15, 2007, 04:21:40 AM »

I was always IN by request of the Wife, she loved watching me play the demo, and I think she will definitely play this one.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 15, 2007, 08:15:10 PM »

According to Cheapass Gamer, Circuit City is offering a $10 gift card with the game next week.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 15, 2007, 09:30:09 PM »

Yeah, so something tells me that I'm actually going to regret not preordering for once.  Looks like the game is shipping today and it might be in store tomorrow.  I'm guessing BB, CC and the like won't bother selling it until next week while EB and GS will adapt their normal "no preorder, no sale" stance. 

Not like I don't have enough on my plate to wait until the CC sale next week, but I really wants it. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2007, 10:15:19 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 15, 2007, 09:30:09 PM

Yeah, so something tells me that I'm actually going to regret not preordering for once.  Looks like the game is shipping today and it might be in store tomorrow.  I'm guessing BB, CC and the like won't bother selling it until next week while EB and GS will adapt their normal "no preorder, no sale" stance. 

Not like I don't have enough on my plate to wait until the CC sale next week, but I really wants it. 

That is exactly how I feel Kevin-way too much to play, and I likely won't even if I buy it-but I want it, and want it now-it looks like most EB/GS will have it tomorrow, but no big box stores till Monday. Damnit. I may break the embargo just so I can have it on my shelf (and I'm sure I would have to play it a bit!).
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2007, 10:46:45 PM »

*whimper*  Adding on top of my already obscene backlog, I received this today.  Working on a day 1 review for you guys. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2007, 02:41:50 AM »

Got a call from GameStop today letting me know they'll have the game Friday morning.

It's a shame, because all these new releases has hit my wallet hard, and I simply cannot afford the game.  Looks like I'll be holding off until SOMEBODY FREAKIN' HIRES ME.

Rest of you, enjoy, and check your local GameStop tomorrow biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2007, 03:00:33 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 10, 2007, 02:43:00 AM

And BTW - cover-firing (pushing the aim button to lean out of cover) leaves you way too vulnerable IMHO. All I did was hold down L1 to go into the shoulder stance, keep myself behind a large wall, and fire. There seems to be a 'magic' point where you can aim at the enemy, but he's basically incapable of hitting you back. It doesn't make any sense to write it, but however the camera works, it allows you to see things that your character couldn't possibly see through his eyes to shoot back at.

replayed the demo tonight, tried this, &, yes, even for a lamer like myself, it worked perfectly - more ready than ever now. thanks, d...

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2007, 03:09:32 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on November 16, 2007, 03:00:33 AM

Quote from: Destructor on November 10, 2007, 02:43:00 AM

And BTW - cover-firing (pushing the aim button to lean out of cover) leaves you way too vulnerable IMHO. All I did was hold down L1 to go into the shoulder stance, keep myself behind a large wall, and fire. There seems to be a 'magic' point where you can aim at the enemy, but he's basically incapable of hitting you back. It doesn't make any sense to write it, but however the camera works, it allows you to see things that your character couldn't possibly see through his eyes to shoot back at.

replayed the demo tonight, tried this, &, yes, even for a lamer like myself, it worked perfectly - more ready than ever now. thanks, d...

Yep after playing the demo about 4 times I started loving the combat.  I hope it comes action filled. The grenade effects are awesome-especially the ringing in the ear effect that you get if you get too close.  Oh and destructible cover is cool too smile
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: