http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 11:20:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3]The Simpsons Game Demo Impressions  (Read 1412 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2007, 09:06:51 AM »

well,the demo appeared on the PSN store yesterday and i have finally played it

cant say its a big demo,but then again it depends on how much you want to explore.....with psychotic clowns always on your tail,it didnt make want to explore as much as i would of liked

this is,hopefully a boss demo...lard lad or something like that(the big guy who holds the doughnut)

first..who you play

you can play as Bart,who when pressed R1 changes to Bartman,and has a slingshot(circle button..L1 lock on)

and Homer R1 inflate to a big round homer and can burp

around the level(which is downtown springfield)are Duff caps or Krusty tokens to collect,also power ups as in a HOT chille for Homer or an iron mask for Bart to fire lasers

the graphics are nice,and the cutscenes are the same as watching the cartoon(the cut scene you get when you have defeated lard lad)

camera....hmm,undecided,you control it,but sometimes if you are inbetween buildings...you often see nothing but brick,which isnt good if you are in danger

health for Homer and Bart...didnt seem to ever be a problem,as it recharged if ever low..whtehr that is just for the demo i dont know,but you can press triangle next to your 'family member' to boost their health

the demo,really wasnt a great one,as it was a boss  fight,the clowns were annoying after a while,and some jumps just werent getting the height i needed even though i knew some could be done....retapping the X button again,and again was getting old very quickly

as for the boss,he was a pain,but i finally beat him

i am hoping the full game on a normal level isnt so frantic,and i can explore everything at a pace that i want to go at....the demo really has turned me off a little that was a sure buy for me

it will get an 8 at the moment from me
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 09:45:40 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 12:34:51 PM »

Yea, that demo level is a boss battle against Lard Lad.  The other levels are a little less frantic.  I think they should have released one of the other levels leading up to this.  During the event I went to it took me quite a few shots to get RoboBart up to a spot to shoot Lard Lad in the butt-flap, all the while the developer is hopping up and down like he hasn't had his ritalin and tellin me to get up there. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 01:14:48 PM »

LOL,i used Barts slingshot and then jumped on the flap....but teh enxt two flaps were harder as they were higher up,so i had to slingshot it from on top of a medium building and then a high building...it can be tricky,because he had to be near the desired building...no doubt there was another way to do him in,perhaps easier

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 03:13:48 PM »

I'll have to grab it tonight.  since it has wonky camera controls maybe they were trying to be true to the game they were parodying  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 03:47:09 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 05, 2007, 03:13:48 PM

I'll have to grab it tonight.  since it has wonky camera controls maybe they were trying to be true to the game they were parodying  icon_wink

i am sure you will be fine with the camera,it just has its...'moments'

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 04:20:56 PM »

Any sign of this on XBLM yet?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 04:23:40 PM »

no,but Bladestorm is there...at a lovely 1.9 gig

and also looney tunes game demo<<north America only(i'm still downloading it now)

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 05:20:06 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 05, 2007, 04:23:40 PM

no,but Bladestorm is there...at a lovely 1.9 gig

and also looney tunes game demo<<north America only(i'm still downloading it now)

I saw that Looney Tunes is there.  I really hope it's good, but I'm not expecting it to be.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 11:38:24 AM »

The Simpsons Game demo is now available on the Live Marketplace as well.  Downloading now.  Or after the Conan demo, actually.  slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 01:29:55 PM »

Man, while I love the visuals and the references to the show and everything, that was an annoying freaking demo.  I wasn't even able to damage the damn Lard Lad, though I did pop open his flap a couple times.  Trying to aim with Bart was near impossible since the lockon always picked the stupid Krusties instead of Lard Lad and I just had to keep running around behind the fucker while getting zapped by lazers and bonked by robots.  I would love to have a free-roaming game in that world, but with boss battles that annoying and difficult it just went down in my book.  Not much fun. 

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »

Any word on when this is coming to XBLM?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 02:43:57 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 08, 2007, 02:41:00 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 08, 2007, 11:38:24 AM

The Simpsons Game demo is now available on the Live Marketplace as well.  Downloading now.  Or after the Conan demo, actually.  slywink

icon_wink

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 02:48:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 08, 2007, 02:43:57 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on October 08, 2007, 02:41:00 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 08, 2007, 11:38:24 AM

icon_wink

D'oh!  Thanks Tongue
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 03:27:43 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 08, 2007, 01:29:55 PM

Man, while I love the visuals and the references to the show and everything, that was an annoying freaking demo.  I wasn't even able to damage the damn Lard Lad, though I did pop open his flap a couple times.  Trying to aim with Bart was near impossible since the lockon always picked the stupid Krusties instead of Lard Lad and I just had to keep running around behind the fucker while getting zapped by lazers and bonked by robots.  I would love to have a free-roaming game in that world, but with boss battles that annoying and difficult it just went down in my book.  Not much fun. 

I'm really not sure why they chose to take a level that benefits so much from having a second person and then not allow you to do it co-op.  You can actually take out Lard Lad in a matter of minutes if you have Homer distracting him near a good leap-off pont for Bart.  Rinse/repeat 3 times and done.  They should have released the Mr. Sparkle level, Super Happy Fun Fun Land.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 03:46:35 AM »

Well, I liked it, but it's got the same lack of gameplay polish that Hit N Run did.  I still found that game very enjoyable, but unnecessarily frustrating at times.  Much like this demo.

I'm so jaded by movie and TV games being bad that even an attempt at something better for a franchise I love gets a buy from me.

Unless I start seeing 4s and 5s in reviews, I'm still in.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 05:56:15 AM »

Out.  the camera controls were awful and if I can't trust them to release a decent demo then I can't trust them to release a decent game.  I was really looking forward to this one too.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 04:51:38 PM »

as everyone knows,i only have a SDTV(sony,triniton wega widecreen 32")...i downloaded the demos for both the PS3 and the 360

the demo looks better on the 360 visually,because on the PS3,there is a slight(not much)fuzzyness to the outlines to the characters...i know its EA/HD an all that,but on the 360 it looks great,and i havent noticed my other PS3 games/demos fuzzy.....is it just the demo?

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 03:18:00 AM »

Wow talk about frustration.  Trying to get Bart to aim at the second flap is miserable!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 12:46:23 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 17, 2007, 03:18:00 AM

Wow talk about frustration.  Trying to get Bart to aim at the second flap is miserable!

Again, with a second player distracting Lard Lad it is a lot easier.  I'm still confused why they'd release this as a demo...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 02:48:05 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 17, 2007, 12:46:23 PM

Again, with a second player distracting Lard Lad it is a lot easier.  I'm still confused why they'd release this as a demo...

so if you can't find another person to play the level with you you're in for a frustrating time?  here's hoping they tweak the single player a bit.

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2007, 02:53:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 17, 2007, 02:48:05 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 17, 2007, 12:46:23 PM

so if you can't find another person to play the level with you you're in for a frustrating time?  here's hoping they tweak the single player a bit.

Well, the demo is the only time I hadn't played with a friend or developer.  I can say that it was way easier with a partner.  I have a feeling that this is really going to hurt the game, and will only be compounded by the lack of Live! play. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2007, 04:02:54 PM »

I don't give a crap how good it is when you're playing with a developer as the second character, I'm going to be playing it by myself in my house and it played like shit.  If this is EA's idea of good AI and single player handling of a coop situation, god help us with Army of Two! 

I will probably still end up getting this just because I'm a huge Simpsons fan, but I'm going to hate myself for it. 

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2007, 04:19:31 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 17, 2007, 04:02:54 PM

I don't give a crap how good it is when you're playing with a developer as the second character, I'm going to be playing it by myself in my house and it played like shit.  If this is EA's idea of good AI and single player handling of a coop situation, god help us with Army of Two! 

I will probably still end up getting this just because I'm a huge Simpsons fan, but I'm going to hate myself for it. 

Let me assure you, playing with the Dev was no picnic actually.  The guy had WAY too much sugar that day and was as hyper to the point where he wasn't very helpful.  Playing with other press folks are what I'm basing my opinion on.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: