http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 11:40:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3]MGS4 maxed out on Blu-Ray  (Read 2751 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2007, 12:59:28 PM »

maxed out on Blu-Ray,of course not with gameplay(but then again,it is meant to be the biggest metal gear of them all)..hell no,that would be unthinkable,maxed out with uncompressed audio,and ...you guessed it

"hours and hours and hours" of cinematics

http://ps3.qj.net/E-for-All-07-Konami-on-maxing-out-Blu-ray-with-hours-of-cinematics-uncompressed-audio/pg/49/aid/105564

check out a video(about 5 minutes in all) in the link,an interview with some random Konami guy,talks about simplified controls for general gaming(triangle button is used for more or less everything)...and how this will be the last of snakes adventures,everything will be answered,and therfor the script is pretty long   ***possible spoilers***

Sony PlayStation 3 exclusive Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots by Konami Digital couldn't have been done without the Blu-ray, said Kojima Productions Assistant Producer Ryan Payton in an interview at E for All. "We couldn't do what we're doing with MGS4 without the Blu-ray," he stated.

According to Payton, the game is eating up Blu-ray's capacity due to "hours and hours and hours" of cinematics. Hideo Kojima's sound team is also pushing for a real next-gen experience by putting a lot of work in Metal Gear Solid 4's audio that will come pure and uncompressed, Payton added.

Payton goes on about Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots' context-sensitive controls, and Solid Snake's saga actually coming to an end. Find out more from the interview by watching the video below.

i think this pretty much talks for itself that it REALLY wont be coming to the 360........not unless you want a major,major gimped version,LOL

so,roll on release date
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 01:01:55 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 02:11:28 PM »

"HAVE YOU NOT HEARD OF THE BLUE-RAY?!?!?! IT'S THE FUTURE!!!!"

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 02:17:21 PM »

Maybe they could make a version with actual gameplay and forgo all the worthless video. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 02:37:34 PM »

I hope they interrupt the hours and hours of video with more than a second or two of gameplay at a time....

Is the triangle button going to basically be the 'play next cinematic button'?

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 02:42:18 PM »

"Only with Blu-ray"

Yeah, whatever Sony with your PLAYSTATION 3 (Sony's gotta talk about themselves in big letters, don'tcha know).

In this day and age with amazing graphics, why are we still using FMV for cinemas? Why are we using 'pure, uncompressed audio' when nobody else will know the difference if it is compressed? Why is the 'amazing storage space' being used only to put all the translations of the game on one disc (including multiple versions of the aforementioned cinemas)?

I'm sick and tired of Sony spouting their crap of 'only on Blu-ray'. It's just an excuse to not compress anything.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 03:05:50 PM »

There is no chance it will ever come out on the 360, because there is no such thing as advancements in data compression technology. icon_wink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 03:36:54 PM »

Somebody isn't interpreting that correctly.  Hours-and-hours of cinematics and uncompressed audio are one and the same.  MGS uses real time cutscenes so it doesn't require additional storage for HD Video the way that games using pre-rendered FMV like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey do.  If it's the cutscenes taking up the space then they are referring to the audio during the cutscenes. 
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 03:39:30 PM »

Hate, hate hate...   icon_frown

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 03:41:06 PM »

It'd be easier if they just made it a Blu-Ray film that you just watch start to finish instead of "choosing your own adventure" every half hour or so. Just sayin'... slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 03:53:37 PM »

I bought gamecube games that were on multiple discs.  What ever happened to that practice?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 05:43:57 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 21, 2007, 02:37:34 PM

I hope they interrupt the hours and hours of video with more than a second or two of gameplay at a time....

Is the triangle button going to basically be the 'play next cinematic button'?

I hear there will be at least 5 seconds of gameplay between every half hour unskippable cutscene.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 06:21:14 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 21, 2007, 03:53:37 PM

I bought gamecube games that were on multiple discs.  What ever happened to that practice?

Games on more than one disc? DOOM! You'll NEVER see this again in the Blu-ray generation thanks to the amazing power of the PLAYSTATION 3!

Roll Eyes

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 06:25:09 PM »

While it's not that bad, disc swapping is more an immersion killer than load times are.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 06:30:19 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 21, 2007, 06:25:09 PM

While it's not that bad, disc swapping is more an immersion killer than load times are.

You mean swapping a disc maybe once or twice per ENTIRE GAME is somehow worse than bad load times EVERY TIME YOU PLAY?

Dude, you're out of your mind.

gellar
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 06:30:59 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 21, 2007, 06:25:09 PM

To be frank, I'd MUCH rather swap discs every so often than sit around waiting for a bunch of loading screens. Keep in mind though, that long load times pretty much don't exist anymore (or at least not on the games that I play anyway).

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 06:34:41 PM »

At least the latest in streaming tech as eliminated most load times.  The load times I'm thinking about are pretty short, along HL2's length at worst.  But there's something about getting up from the comfy couch and switching the discs.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 07:35:16 PM »

dude you gotta be kidding...as others said, swapping out a disc is a ONE-TIME deal in the middle of a game.  that means nothing

long load times are the absolute fucking worst, I can't stand that.  and there are plenty of games that have longer load times than HL2
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 08:41:29 PM »

I would rather sit back and watch a beautifully choreographed cutscene then sit through a long, drawn-out conversation in a game like Mass Effect where all I'm doing is hitting the A button, watching characters poorly lip-sync to some convoluted backstory of Galaxy Gal'gistar and how war-hero Commander Sgt. McRoy single-handedly flew a B-class galactic wingship through the great Nurigian asteroid field to kill the evil Emperor Yissar.

TheMissingLink on PSN
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 08:43:02 PM »

Both sound dull as fuck to me.

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 09:26:47 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 21, 2007, 08:41:29 PM

I would rather sit back and watch a beautifully choreographed cutscene then sit through a long, drawn-out conversation in a game like Mass Effect where all I'm doing is hitting the A button, watching characters poorly lip-sync to some convoluted backstory of Galaxy Gal'gistar and how war-hero Commander Sgt. McRoy single-handedly flew a B-class galactic wingship through the great Nurigian asteroid field to kill the evil Emperor Yissar.

Apparently you have blocked out the convoluted dreck that Kojima attempts to pass off as some sort of "post-modern philosophy meant to blow your mind" then, because there is no way even a huge fan of MGS (As you are), can possibly attempt to champion the heinous dialogue, overwrought drama, and nonsensical segues of MGS over the dialogue of even a simple, boring wRPG. And as much as I loathe having to even say this, of course this applies to MGS on any system-PS2, xbox, and PS3.

Also, for instance:
Naked Snake: Boss, why are you doing this?
The Boss: Why? To make the world one again. The world used to be whole. But with the end of the Second World War, the Philosophers began to fight amongst themselves and the world was torn apart. The Cobras, my comrades who trained and fought alongside me, were torn apart as well. The foibles of politics and the march of time can turn friends into enemies just as easily as the wind changes. Ridiculous, isn't it? Yesterday's ally becomes today's opposition. And this Cold War? Think back... When I was leading the Cobras, America and Russia were fighting together. Now consider whether America and Russia will still be enemies in the 21st century. Somehow, I doubt it.
I mean, really? Come on now, lets stop acting like this is some sort of high art here. Some of the Mass Effect dialog might be equally shitty, but lets not go all revisionist and pretend MGS is some sort of beautifully crafted ode to the finer days of literature.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 09:46:38 PM by Calvin » Logged
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2007, 09:35:53 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 21, 2007, 09:26:47 PM

Apparently you have blocked out the convoluted dreck that Kojima attempts to pass off as some sort of "post-modern philosophy meant to blow your mind" then, because there is no way even a huge fan of MGS (As you are), can possibly attempt to champion the heinous dialogue, overwrought drama, and nonsensical segues of MGS over the dialogue of even a simple, boring wRPG. And as much as I loathe having to even say this, of course this applies to MGS on any system-PS2, xbox, and PS3.

Couldn't agree more, but for those who like there videos sprinkled with snippets of gaming, this game should be the cream of the crop.  Good for them.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2007, 09:51:22 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
If you play through the game on legendary and wait until after the credits, you find that Yissar wasn't killed.  He was sucked through a wormhole, and his sentient AI companion put him back in cryosleep as the hulk of their... wait.  Oops.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2007, 11:33:30 PM »

That's why the MGS series has sold so many copies.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2007, 11:41:05 PM »

Quote from: depward on October 21, 2007, 11:33:30 PM

The number of copies MGS has sold is completely and utterly irrelevant to the quality of the writing and cutscenes. Halo has featured poor writing and a convoluted plot for 3 games and has sold far more than the MGS series-shall we compare? Games with better writing than both of those series could ever dream to have ended up selling 1/10 the number. Come on now-don't obfuscate the point with irrelevant comparisons. The writing in MGS is convoluted, self-important, and too often just downright badly written. That might not take anything away from its gameplay, or its sales.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 12:29:47 AM by Calvin » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2007, 12:15:22 AM »

I hear they're planning on letting you play a princess in an upcoming DLC expansion pack for ME.....

Because I can,
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2007, 12:16:53 AM »

MGS has sold a ton of copies.  But the sales seem to have decreased as the series has gone on.  I think alot of that has to do with the way the story has become so ridiculous and convoluted.  Personally I loved MGS on the PS1.  But each game since has driven me farther away.  I have heard that Snake Eater was very good but after going through SoL, I wasn't prepared to stick it out through the rough beginning portions of SE to get to the "good stuff."

The trailers for MGS 4 have been so silly it almost seems like they are trying to drive people away from the game with the monkeys and homo-erotic undertones.

Now it seems like the offline and online portions of the game are going to be two completely different games?  And no pre-release demo?  Yuck.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
depward

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2007, 12:33:30 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 21, 2007, 11:41:05 PM

The number of copies MGS has sold is completely and utterly irrelevant to the quality of the writing and cutscenes. Halo has featured poor writing and a convoluted plot for 3 games and has sold far more than the MGS series-shall we compare? Games with better writing than both of those series could ever dream to have ended up selling 1/10 the number. Come on now-don't obfuscate the point with irrelevant comparisons. The writing in MGS is convoluted, self-important, and too often just downright badly written. That might not take anything away from its gameplay, or its sales.
Well, I guess these thousands and thousands of people who keep on buying MGS games don't agree with that.  And if they do, apparently the gameplay is something they truly like.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2007, 12:40:30 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on October 22, 2007, 12:16:53 AM

MGS has sold a ton of copies.  But the sales seem to have decreased as the series has gone on.  I think alot of that has to do with the way the story has become so ridiculous and convoluted.  Personally I loved MGS on the PS1.  But each game since has driven me farther away.  I have heard that Snake Eater was very good but after going through SoL, I wasn't prepared to stick it out through the rough beginning portions of SE to get to the "good stuff."

Snake Eater has easily the most straight forward plot of any of the MGS games.  Nothing at all like MGS2 and there are numerous examples in the game itself where Kojima acknowledges the problems that so many people had with MGS2.  In a lot of ways, MGS3 serves as an apology for it's predecessor. Anyone who liked MGS1 but didn't care for Part 2 should definitely give MGS3 a try.   Though, yes, you really do have to get past the relatively horrid prologue before it gets good.  However, Snake Eater is also twice as long as the previous MGS games so there is a ton of content after the prologue. 
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2007, 12:41:17 AM »

If they wanted to port MGS4 to the 360, I don't think they'd be forced to use multiple DVD's unless they don't want to spend the time working to compress the data from a BR disc to a DVD. Resident Evil 2 on the Playstation was a 2-CD game. When it was ported to the N64, it was compressed to fit onto a single 64MB cartridge.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2007, 01:01:58 AM »

Lots of people watch the Real World too.

gellar
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2007, 01:47:07 AM »

Quote from: gellar on October 22, 2007, 01:01:58 AM

Lots of people watch the Real World too.

gellar

and Jerry Springer....

Because I can,
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2007, 02:32:59 AM »

Am I the only one that really doesn't mind disc swapping as long as it is only between key points? If it is every 2 minutes like some old adventure games I understand, but if it is twice in a game (e.g. Blue Dragon) then I could care less if a game fits on one disc.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2007, 02:48:16 AM »

No, I don't see the big deal in swapping either. oh noes, 2 minutes of your life is gone! Somehow im thinking those 2 minutes are nothing compared to loading up the game, loading up the save file and then loading up in between every key point in the game. Sorry, I just don't see the comparision in the two. Yes, i'm going to get that evil boss now! /load screen. Nope, swapping discs totally ruins any immersion in a game.

Only blu-ray makes this game possible? Why do I get the feeling sony is now writing their PR? Without out 208234 cell chips 10000gig and blu ray you could NEVER have played this game! be thankful that sony took pity upon your souls and bestowed a fine gaming machine onto the world.

Puhlease  Roll Eyes
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2007, 02:52:03 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on October 22, 2007, 02:32:59 AM

Am I the only one that really doesn't mind disc swapping as long as it is only between key points? If it is every 2 minutes like some old adventure games I understand, but if it is twice in a game (e.g. Blue Dragon) then I could care less if a game fits on one disc.

Exactly what I was saying in my earlier post.  I don't mind one bit.  Who cares if it fits on one Blu-ray disc.  It's not going to cost me any more to get a case with 2-3 discs in it.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2007, 04:22:18 AM »

The number of copies MGS has sold is completely and utterly irrelevant to the quality of the writing and cutscenes. Halo has featured poor writing and a convoluted plot for 3 games and has sold far more than the MGS series-shall we compare?

Just being devils advocate here but I thought I would compare on Wiki.

Halo: 5 million           
Halo 2: 6.5 million
Halo 3: 5.2 million

MGS: 6 million
MGS2: 7 million
MGS3: 4 million

It's fairly neck and neck, but the MGS series seems to be winning by a nose (so far).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2007, 04:34:50 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on October 22, 2007, 04:22:18 AM

The number of copies MGS has sold is completely and utterly irrelevant to the quality of the writing and cutscenes. Halo has featured poor writing and a convoluted plot for 3 games and has sold far more than the MGS series-shall we compare?

Just being devils advocate here but I thought I would compare on Wiki.

Halo: 5 million           
Halo 2: 6.5 million
Halo 3: 5.2 million

MGS: 6 million
MGS2: 7 million
MGS3: 4 million

It's fairly neck and neck, but the MGS series seems to be winning by a nose (so far).

does that include all the 'revisions' like MGS2: Subsidizing the Original or MGS3: More Cutscenes?  and don't forget there will be MGS4: Princess Snake Peach which TML already has wood for  icon_wink

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2007, 04:57:48 AM »

Wow, I'm surprised MGS3 made even 4 million.

I dunno, I think MGS4 will sell a lot simply because they're finally promising answers and the resolution of many plot threads.  MGS2 was a sore disappointment in that it didn't bother to include established characters like Meryl and the Major.  Now, everyone and a Grandma (Eva) are back.  Heck, Kojima even has a handler now in the form of that producer/manager/whatever that's keeping Kojima aware of the western market preferences.  As to whether it'll resolve things better than Halo 3 did, who knows?

The whole MGS series has always been like a melodrama to me, that's why I tolerated the writing.  But then Kojima tried to make it into some even bigger conspiracy in MGS2, and often the plot points and reveals of MGS2 completely invalidated what would have been brave actions in MGS1.

That's a big problem for any series that tries to rely on conspiracy.  If they go back and try to make all previous actions just more manipulations, players and viewers feel a bit cheated unless done really, really well.  The best compromise is to make the conspiracy continue, and both gain and lose something from the player's action.  This way, the player has thwarted the conspiracy's plans, but at the same time the conspiracy got some other side benefit from it.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2007, 06:53:37 AM »

I get such a kick out of the developers that yack over and over about the greatness of Blu-Ray and how its size matters so much. Then we learn the reality is it allows them to pack that many more worthless and time consuming cutscenes in and use .wav files for sound. Whoopdee doo...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2007, 02:18:37 PM »

<ring ring>

*Aww damn it...*

<ring ring>

*Maybe if I ignore it he'll go away..*

<ring ring>

*Sigh*

"This is Snake - go."

"Snake....*sniffle*...now that we have all this Blu-Ray Real Estate....I had a question."

*Aww hell...*

"Yes, Otacon.  What is it?" (I'm gonna regret asking...)

"Do you think that love can have bloom effects on the battle field in High-Def 720p with uncompressed PCM sound with the power of Blu-Ray which is clearly the future when coupled with Bluetooth?"

*blink blink  Who writes this shit?*

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2007, 02:37:04 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 22, 2007, 04:57:48 AM

Wow, I'm surprised MGS3 made even 4 million.

I dunno, I think MGS4 will sell a lot simply because they're finally promising answers and the resolution of many plot threads.  MGS2 was a sore disappointment in that it didn't bother to include established characters like Meryl and the Major.  Now, everyone and a Grandma (Eva) are back.  Heck, Kojima even has a handler now in the form of that producer/manager/whatever that's keeping Kojima aware of the western market preferences.  As to whether it'll resolve things better than Halo 3 did, who knows?

The whole MGS series has always been like a melodrama to me, that's why I tolerated the writing.  But then Kojima tried to make it into some even bigger conspiracy in MGS2, and often the plot points and reveals of MGS2 completely invalidated what would have been brave actions in MGS1.

That's a big problem for any series that tries to rely on conspiracy.  If they go back and try to make all previous actions just more manipulations, players and viewers feel a bit cheated unless done really, really well.  The best compromise is to make the conspiracy continue, and both gain and lose something from the player's action.  This way, the player has thwarted the conspiracy's plans, but at the same time the conspiracy got some other side benefit from it.

I still need to play through MGS3 one of these days. I loved MGS1 and enjoyed MGS2 a lot, though the sequel grew more frustrating in gameplay, and as you noted, left out most of the story follow-up that I wanted to get from it.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: