http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 09:48:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3]2.0 update tomorrow(thursday)  (Read 1489 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2007, 05:06:38 PM »

according to three speech and kotaku

http://kotaku.com/gaming/upgrades/sony-firmware-20-comes-tomorrow-319939.php

Latest PLAYSTATION®3 System Software Update Allows PSPTM to Turn PS3TM On and Off from Internet Connection for Enhanced Remote Play

Ability to customise XMB™ and add personalised playlists for both music and photos also enabled

London, 8 November 2007 - Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced today the availability of the latest version of the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) system software. Version 2.00 features the ability to turn a PS3 system on and off remotely, using a PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) system via the Remote Play1 function, allowing for a truly mobile partnership between the two systems.

Building on the success and potential of the Remote Play functionality, Version 2.00 will cement the partnership between PS3 and PSP and create a truly global experience. With the ability to turn your PS3 on and off from Wi-fi connection, there is now the opportunity to listen to the music, look at the photos and watch the videos saved on the PS3 Hard Disk Drive, anywhere in the world.

To further enhance the PS3 offering, Version 2.00 allows for the creation of personalised playlists in both the music and photo sections. This simple to use function gives users an opportunity to create unlimited music playlists for all occasions, as well as sharing favourite photos in glorious high definition.

Continuing with the idea of a personalised PS3, Version 2.00 allows for customisation of the XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) menu screen. Change the colour and brightness with the greatest of ease or have something completely different by setting a custom theme. With the potential for new backgrounds to become available on PLAYSTATION®Network in the future, Version 2.00 truly opens up a whole raft of options.

A host of other enhancements includes the addition of an Information Board on XMB to keep people up to date on the latest PlayStation® news, the inclusion of a new PLAYSTATION Network category and logo for easier navigation and Trend Micro Web Security, a free2, state of the art internet security system, designed to give parents peace of mind.

doesnt look like in game XMB is happenning yet....and is turning on the machine by the PSP really that big a deal?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 05:20:54 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 07, 2007, 05:06:38 PM

doesnt look like in game XMB is happenning yet....and is turning on the machine by the PSP really that big a deal?

With the ability to turn your PS3 on and off from Wi-fi connection, there is now the opportunity to listen to the music, look at the photos and watch the videos saved on the PS3 Hard Disk Drive, anywhere in the world.

I can go to Starbucks, get on the Internet for free with my PSP (promotion that's currently running), turn on my PS3 and watch episodes of The Office (UK), Da Ali G Show or Dinosaurs, all without the hassle of transferring them to my PSP, worrying about space, compression, etc.

Yeah, that's pretty hot.

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 05:23:55 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 07, 2007, 05:20:54 PM

With the ability to turn your PS3 on and off from Wi-fi connection, there is now the opportunity to listen to the music, look at the photos and watch the videos saved on the PS3 Hard Disk Drive, anywhere in the world.

I can go to Starbucks, get on the Internet for free with my PSP (promotion that's currently running), turn on my PS3 and watch episodes of The Office (UK), Da Ali G Show or Dinosaurs, all without the hassle of transferring them to my PSP, worrying about space, compression, etc.

Yeah, that's pretty hot.

Plus, with the possibility of remote play (as soon, unfortunately, only in Lair thus far) for PS3 games, this would be an ideal option instead of having to keep your PS3 on all the time...

I'm disappointed by no in-game XMB bar, but eh, so it goes I suppose...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 05:29:18 PM »

I don't have a PS3 but what is the advantage of having in-game XMB?
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 05:32:31 PM »

Since I'm such a customization wh*re, I'm pretty happy about being able to tweak the XMB more.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 05:34:21 PM »

Quote from: warning on November 07, 2007, 05:29:18 PM

I don't have a PS3 but what is the advantage of having in-game XMB?

Lots of people think that opens the door to custom sountracks playing at the same time you are gaming.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 05:47:44 PM »

I think the idea of remote play on the PSP is absolutely awesome, but I question how games that fully utilize the PS3 controller can be controlled on the PSP without the second stick and shoulder buttons.  I really hope they can get some cool things going over that, though.  At the very least it might be a great way to play the PSNetwork downloadable games or something. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 05:50:03 PM »

Also, it's like the 360's in-game friend's menu.  We want the in-game XMB because that'd mean we can write and answer messages or game invites while playing, thus making it easier to join games with friends.

I figured in-game XMB wasn't happening because they'd have to change things quite a bit, patch, or at least hack around old games, then make sure this year's games support it.  It'll probably happen when they release home, as I think it was only recently they released the sdk with those features tentatively in.

It's kind of interesting, but there was an article stating the difference in mindset that caused Sony not to make such a feature from the beginning.  Turns out there's a cultural difference in Japan where game invites that invite you to play a different game from what you're playing are considered rude.  I guess it can be, since others have expressed a similar sentiment.

What I'd like to see is a simple silent mode where you suppress trophy/achievement and other pop up messages so you can focus on getting immersed in the game.

Also the whole PSP as a controller goes a bit deeper than just using it as a controller.  Sony wants to make it useable as an alternate control with its own benefits, such as using the PSP to control some sort of remote control drone in game, complete with a steamed camera feed to the PSP from the PS3, all without taking the view away from the player on the main screen.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 06:01:35 PM »

Yeah, that's pretty hot.

wouldnt you still have to be reasonably close to your PS3 to turn it on/or even access via WI-FI?..just how close to your PS3 is this starbucks?

i understand how to get to the internet from the PSP,in starbucks sure...but how from the PSP,do you access your PS3s hard drive via the internet?.....and this would mean the PS3 would have to be on standby in your house...not fully switched off from the back?

depward

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 06:19:07 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 07, 2007, 06:01:35 PM

Yeah, that's pretty hot.

wouldnt you still have to be reasonably close to your PS3 to turn it on/or even access via WI-FI?..just how close to your PS3 is this starbucks?

i understand how to get to the internet from the PSP,in starbucks sure...but how from the PSP,do you access your PS3s hard drive via the internet?.....and this would mean the PS3 would have to be on standby in your house...not fully switched off from the back?

You're way off base here, my friend.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 06:23:54 PM »

Quote from: depward on November 07, 2007, 06:19:07 PM

Yeah, that's pretty hot.

You're way off base here, my friend.

and yet you dont explain...cheers Depward(!),LOL

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 06:30:49 PM »

I'm going to guess it's just a Wake-on-LAN implementation.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 06:35:55 PM »

thanks Brendan,if whats said does work it does sound all very cool(not that i go in internet cafe's etc.but still)

i found a few pictures from 3 speech

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 06:37:31 PM »

Yeah, that's pretty hot.

Streaming video over WiFi? Is that N or G .. cuz fully uncompressed video over a 802.11g is < optimal.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 06:49:18 PM »

Just one question....wtf is a "colour"?  Word underlines it, so it must be wrong.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 07:24:04 PM »

LOL,.....those pesky english and their crazy spelling icon_wink

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 07:26:42 PM »

Yeah. Us Canadians also have "u" in colour. I'm thinking it might actually be the more popular spelling worldwide (in English, at least).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 07:49:31 PM »

One thing I wish they would add, especialy with the themese being introduced is a way to change the font color.  I downloaded a Simpson Game wallpaper from the PSN store and because the wallpaper is bright Simpsons yellow, I can't read any of the text and so I don't use the wallpaper.  That picture that is posted here with the snow in the background would be another example.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 08:07:34 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 07, 2007, 07:49:31 PM

One thing I wish they would add, especialy with the themese being introduced is a way to change the font color.  I downloaded a Simpson Game wallpaper from the PSN store and because the wallpaper is bright Simpsons yellow, I can't read any of the text and so I don't use the wallpaper.  That picture that is posted here with the snow in the background would be another example.

+1.  i really wanted to use the r&c wallpaper, but i could barely read anything while it was up. 

i want them to fix the internet browser.  some days, i can barely open 3 pages at once before it craps out from memory issues.  i also wish they'd make it fit on wide screen tv's better.  when i read this site, if i zoom in close enough to read the text, i have two screens worth of width to scroll through. 

too bad you have to up the psp's firmware to make the new features work.  i like having the 3.52 custom for emulation. 

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2007, 08:38:45 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 07, 2007, 08:07:34 PM

+1.  i really wanted to use the r&c wallpaper, but i could barely read anything while it was up. 

too bad you have to up the psp's firmware to make the new features work.  i like having the 3.52 custom for emulation. 

For wallpaper - just make sure there's a 'shadow' in the spots where the interface usually shows up. Take a look at the official Lair wallpapers in the Playstation Store for an example as to how it works. Basically go mod the official wallpapers if you're interested in using your favorite wallpaper in a game.

And about the PSP firmware - odds are the hacker community will release a newer version one of these days. Just give them time. I sure ain't dropping my custom firmware anytime soon.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2007, 08:45:53 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 07, 2007, 08:38:45 PM

For wallpaper - just make sure there's a 'shadow' in the spots where the interface usually shows up. Take a look at the official Lair wallpapers in the Playstation Store for an example as to how it works. Basically go mod the official wallpapers if you're interested in using your favorite wallpaper in a game.

Or, Sony could give us the option to change the font color, or even better, the people who make these wallpapers for the PS3 should actually try using them on a PS3 before posting them.  Point being that I should not have to modify a wallpaper to be able to use it on the system that the wallpaper was designed for in the first place.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 11:31:24 PM by The Grue » Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2007, 09:54:46 PM »

i like the wallpapers,that actually have a cross,for where the icons are...but in some cases it could do with being darker in that area

if anyone has the little big planet wallpaper,that could be a great wallpaper

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2007, 09:56:20 PM »

Grue - very good points. It is annoying, as yes, I wanted to use the R&C background on my PS3 as well. It was just too unreadable.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 09:10:27 PM »

has anyone got this going yet?

i leave the PS3 on standby...but i can only turn it on if i connect my PSP to a USB with the PC downstairs(PC is on a different internet provider than the PS3 upstairs) ,and then i can watch all my PS3s hard drive stuff on my PSP...which is cool...

however,it wont respond whatsoever if i leave my PS3 on stand by again and without a USB stand right in front of the PS3....i have always had problems with WI-FI....although i do get about a 50% strength for my Wii(this is one reason why i asked you guys if the PS3 has USB all those months ago ...and also why i dont want online games with the Wii)

i have all the WI-FI settings turned on

oh,and i have no idea how to turn off the remote play from the PSP..therefor no idea how to turn off the PS3 from the PSP...i just end up having to turn the PSP off

anyone else having better luck?

EDIT:found the turn off options from the HOME button
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 09:15:56 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2007, 09:26:54 PM »

got everything working now....very pleased with it,means i can watch my PSP in bed with the stuff on my PS3 hard drive....not sure what was wrong at first....i didnt do anything different,it just started to work fine...i even put my PSP memory stick in the PS3(has episodes of south park and heroes on it)...and was able to access the memory card that was in the PS3 from the PSP

i was in the front bedroom with the PSP while my PS3 is in the back bedroom

the only problem i have,as said,is that i usually always turn off the machine from the back...and then it doesnt work..but i suppose thats expected...oh and also,there is sometimes a slight pause when watching the videos...but nothing major

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2007, 09:43:32 PM »

Yeah, watched some Office on my PSP today...worked slick.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2007, 10:12:55 AM »

If there is a DVD in the PS3 can I watch that on my PSP?  I hooked the PSP up to the PS3 for the first time today.  It was quite cool.  It's pretty awesome how it's possible to say, find out while your at work that there's a great new demo at the PSN store, fire up your PSP and use it to remotely turn on your PS3 and then get your PS3 to download the demo so it will be all ready and waiting for you when you get home.  Heck you might even be able to remotely install the demo although I didn't test that out.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2007, 08:37:49 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 16, 2007, 10:12:55 AM

If there is a DVD in the PS3 can I watch that on my PSP?  I hooked the PSP up to the PS3 for the first time today.  It was quite cool.  It's pretty awesome how it's possible to say, find out while your at work that there's a great new demo at the PSN store, fire up your PSP and use it to remotely turn on your PS3 and then get your PS3 to download the demo so it will be all ready and waiting for you when you get home.  Heck you might even be able to remotely install the demo although I didn't test that out.

have they got a hacked psp firmware compatible with this?  i'd love to have the extra functionality between the pair, but i want to keep the homebrew and snes emulation.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2007, 03:36:20 AM »

Quote from: Caine on November 16, 2007, 08:37:49 PM

Quote from: Canuck on November 16, 2007, 10:12:55 AM

have they got a hacked psp firmware compatible with this?  i'd love to have the extra functionality between the pair, but i want to keep the homebrew and snes emulation.

While there isn't a hacked 3.72 (yet), there is a plug-in for 3.71 M33-3 that enables the features above. You have PM.

Plus, to keep yourself more than entertained with 3.71, they just updated MAME for the PSP with support for over 1200 games. biggrin
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 03:38:02 AM by Destructor » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: