http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 04:22:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] Where are the PS2 memory slots?  (Read 2165 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2007, 04:14:30 AM »

So, here's a question that must have an easy answer - where are the PS2 memory slots on the $600 PS3? And if there aren't any (I sure don't see them), how do I move my PS2 saves to the PS3?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 04:16:44 AM »

There aren't any.  You have to buy an adapter (which I don't think is out yet) for about $20 or $30 to transfer the saves to your HDD.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 04:19:28 AM »

Quote from: Zarkon on January 14, 2007, 04:16:44 AM

There aren't any.  You have to buy an adapter (which I don't think is out yet) for about $20 or $30 to transfer the saves to your HDD.

Gotta love Sonys business model..  BUY BUY BUY!  Want salt on those fries?  BUY BUY BUY!

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 04:26:01 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on January 14, 2007, 04:19:28 AM

Gotta love Sonys business model..  BUY BUY BUY!  Want salt on those fries?  BUY BUY BUY!

WTF?  Sony's business model?  Welcome to EVERYONE's business model.  It's a $15 adapter (and it is available now).  Meanwhile MS offers no official method for transferring saves (though a third party has stepped in for that I believe).  And Sony actually lets you use any off the shelf 2.5" SATA HDD in the PS3 instead of sticking with only offiical licensed HDDs at an extreme markup. 

Yeah, all of the console companies make a killing off of the accessories market and that ain't gonna change.  But singling out Sony in this instance is ridiculous. 
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 04:29:16 AM »

retard

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 04:32:02 AM »

I wonder if the adapter comes in an easy to open and re-seal package.  I could see alot of returns if it is.  Heck, I'd only have to use it once.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 04:33:24 AM »

God forbid a company actually try to, you know... sell shit.

gellar
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 04:35:06 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 14, 2007, 04:32:02 AM

I wonder if the adapter comes in an easy to open and re-seal package.  I could see alot of returns if it is.  Heck, I'd only have to use it once.

There's a thought.  icon_biggrin

But as already stated - at least Sony offers a way to transfer older generation saves. While I think you can transfer saves manually (involving being able to access both HDs via your PC of the Xbox's), there's no simple solution like the PS3 offers.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 06:36:53 AM »

Doesn't that same adapter allow you to use PS2 controllers for PS2 games?  I think someone said it's what allows you to use Guitar Hero 1 guitars with the PS3.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 07:00:38 AM »

and yet again nintendos wii has no problems.....none with backwards compatible games,and no problems sticking gamecube card slots onto the machine.......MS and sony could of done it as well...we all know this...microsft took a half assed look at BC though,while sony,as said just wants to make a dollar

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 07:05:18 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 14, 2007, 07:00:38 AM

and yet again nintendos wii has no problems.....none with backwards compatible games,and no problems sticking gamecube card slots onto the machine.......MS and sony could of done it as well...we all know this...microsft took a half assed look at BC though,while sony,as said just wants to make a dollar

Again, I disagree.  With the Wii you *have* to use a memory card for Gamecube games.  There is no option to save to the internal memory or SD card.  However, the PS3 lets you save PS2 saves right to the HDD.  You only need the mem card adapter if you want to transfer existing saves- not make new ones.  So you have a cheap one time purchase.  If Sony really wanted to make a dollar they could have included the mem card slot *and* mandated that PS2 saves had to be made to a mem card and not HDD, just like Sony did with PS1 saves on PS2. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 08:57:52 AM »

well if you have the gamecube games,the gamecube controller...but you dont have the card...WHY NOT???...they are 3.99 at GAME..which is the same price as 3 bottles of 2 ltr coke(PS2 cards still cost 15).......and at least the games work..when BC on microsoft is stuttery at best(and noisey)....and PS3 as we have seen on here makes the games look even worse

EDIT;sorry i forgot...is it possible to play gamecube games on the Wii...with the VC controller...do you have to have the gamecube controller?...because thats a good point for microsoft and sony<<there you go Kevin... a praise for sony,lol...you dont have to use another controller for them...even the VC controller you have to buy seperately..so i guess ....well,to be fair..i guess they all have their plus sides
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 09:53:13 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 12:29:16 PM »

I've got an adapter Tim.  If you need one I'll ship it to ya to borrow.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 02:41:27 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 14, 2007, 12:29:16 PM

Well, I don't have a PS3 yet (although debating on the $100 off via the EB deal), but if I need one I'll let you know.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 02:46:27 PM »

I was just thinking how neat it would be for us all to share one adapter for the whole website. The only caveat is that each person would need to add something to the box for the next person. Doesn't have to be anything valuable and could be something like candy...

I was thinking about that $100 deal until I remembered I don't have a second official controller AND I need to keep my memory card to transfer stuff over.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 05:16:46 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on January 14, 2007, 02:46:27 PM

I was just thinking how neat it would be for us all to share one adapter for the whole website. The only caveat is that each person would need to add something to the box for the next person. Doesn't have to be anything valuable and could be something like candy...

I was thinking about that $100 deal until I remembered I don't have a second official controller AND I need to keep my memory card to transfer stuff over.

I'm down for that.  I've got the adapter - as long as it makes it back to me I'm good with this. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 06:00:10 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 14, 2007, 07:00:38 AM

The reason that the Wii is able to have such perfect backwards compatibility is because it basically has all of the same hardware on the inside as the GameCube, albeit at higher clockspeeds.  The PS3 and XBox 360 have drastically different core CPU, GPU and memory than their predecessors. 

For the 360, Microsoft would have had to re-license the original XBox chips from nVidia and Intel if they wanted to put that in the 360 and that would have added a further financial burden on a system that was already released at a higher price than consumers were comfortable with.  They decided to go with a software emulation method instead, which allows for higher supported resolutions and anti-aliasing but has been harder to implement for many games and has been far from perfect. 

In Sony's case, they own the rights to the previous hardware so, perhaps learning from Microsoft's problems, they have put PS2 chips inside each PS3 until they can get software emulation up to speed and cut out the extra cost per unit (if that ever becomes possible).  Backwards compatibility was also perhaps a larger priority for them because they have a much larger audience to please worldwide and two previous generations of games that those people want to play. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 06:17:09 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 14, 2007, 06:00:10 PM

The reason that the Wii is able to have such perfect backwards compatibility is because it basically has all of the same hardware on the inside as the GameCube, albeit at higher clockspeeds.  The PS3 and XBox 360 have drastically different core CPU, GPU and memory than their predecessors. 

You kind of contradict yourself here since, as you note later, Sony does indeed have all of the PS2/PS1 hardware in the PS3 so BC really should be every bit as good as Cube/Wii BC.  There is really no excuse for Sony's BC screwup. 
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2007, 06:30:41 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 14, 2007, 06:17:09 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 14, 2007, 06:00:10 PM

You kind of contradict yourself here since, as you note later, Sony does indeed have all of the PS2/PS1 hardware in the PS3 so BC really should be every bit as good as Cube/Wii BC.  There is really no excuse for Sony's BC screwup. 

I was just addressing the fact that metallicorphan said "microsft took a half assed look at BC though,while sony,as said just wants to make a dollar".  

My point is that the whole of the Wii is basically an overclocked Gamecube with additional memory, while Sony had to actually put in a secondary chipset to support their older games.  The Wii doesn't even have an internal hard drive to which saved games could be transferred, so it makes sense to have them just inserted when needed. 

I'm sure Sony is already taking a bath on the inclusion of the PS2 chipsets in the PS3 and I don't think charging an additional $15 is going to kill anybody who wants to transfer over their save games.  It was probably also a solution to their two-platform approach where the cheaper PS3 takes out the extras like memory card support and wifi. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2007, 06:32:57 PM »

Seriously. The only problem I'm having with the PS3, is the scaler issue.

1. I'd love to watch a Blu-Ray using my LCD's native 720p. Luckily, it has an excellent scaler, so 1080i is not a problem, but still, switching between that for movies, and 720 for games gets a bit... irksome.

2. PS2 games that don't support progressive look like poop.

I just hope they're able to fix these at some point.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 06:54:29 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 14, 2007, 06:30:41 PM

The Wii doesn't even have an internal hard drive to which saved games could be transferred, so it makes sense to have them just inserted when needed. 

Not completely true.  It doesn't have an internal hard drive but it does have 512 MB of internal memory.  Indeed this is where Wii game saves and Virtual Console games and their saves go right now.  While you can transfer data to and from the SD slot, you can't actually use the SD card in the way that you would a memory card on other platforms.  I'm not sure how hard of an engineering feat it would have been to create "virtual" Cube memory cards on that internal drive, and it's just a minor annoyance, but the internal memory *is* there to make it happen. 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »

The ONLY issue with PS3 backwards compatibility is that it's trying (and not doing a very good job at) turning a 480i (effectively 720x480) resolution game into AT LEAST a 720p (1280x720) resolution game... and that's very hard.  Couple that with the fact that many 480i ps2 games were actually rendered at a lower resolution than 480i (the PS2's job was to scale them up) and you have a level of fuckery.  That being said, they aren't a whole hell of a lot worse on an HDTV than a PS2 is.  I'd like them to fix it, but I've learned to live with it.

The Wii has an inherent advantage in that it runs the exact same resolution as the Gamecube: shitty.

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 08:53:43 PM »

Quote from: gellar on January 14, 2007, 08:06:00 PM

The Wii has an inherent advantage in that it runs the exact same resolution as the Gamecube: shitty.

gellar

That was funny.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2007, 10:16:51 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 14, 2007, 08:53:43 PM

Quote from: gellar on January 14, 2007, 08:06:00 PM

gellar

That was funny.

+1

That made me laugh out loud.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2007, 10:51:33 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 14, 2007, 04:26:01 AM

And Sony actually lets you use any off the shelf 2.5" SATA HDD in the PS3 instead of sticking with only offiical licensed HDDs at an extreme markup. 

At what point does a console become a proprietary PC?  It seems to be moving more and more in that direction.

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
http://one.revver.com/watch/261625
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2007, 11:19:39 PM »

Quote from: Space Herpes on January 14, 2007, 10:51:33 PM

And Sony actually lets you use any off the shelf 2.5" SATA HDD in the PS3 instead of sticking with only offiical licensed HDDs at an extreme markup. 

At what point does a console become a proprietary PC?  It seems to be moving more and more in that direction.

While I'm nervous that consoles are becoming too much like PCs (patches, bugs, framerate varies depending on resolution), I'm pretty happy with this part.  Accessory upgrades are pretty much as old as consoles themselves and that's really all this is except we don't have to pay the huge premium that we normally do for the officially licensed stuff. 
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2007, 11:41:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 14, 2007, 04:32:02 AM

Just buy it at one of the stores with a lifetime return policy in that thread under Off Topic.  icon_lol

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 12:46:53 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 14, 2007, 11:19:39 PM

While I'm nervous that consoles are becoming too much like PCs (patches, bugs, framerate varies depending on resolution), I'm pretty happy with this part.  Accessory upgrades are pretty much as old as consoles themselves and that's really all this is except we don't have to pay the huge premium that we normally do for the officially licensed stuff. 

That is nice, kind of like a PC.  Wonder when we'll get a Playstation box and you can get the PS5 Graphics card.  Purchase your own variety of cell processor and ram.  Soon, there will be third party PS cases and, after a anti-trust lawsuit, there will be third party competing graphics cards.

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 01:08:05 AM »

Quote from: Space Herpes on January 15, 2007, 12:46:53 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 14, 2007, 11:19:39 PM

That is nice, kind of like a PC.  Wonder when we'll get a Playstation box and you can get the PS5 Graphics card.  Purchase your own variety of cell processor and ram.  Soon, there will be third party PS cases and, after a anti-trust lawsuit, there will be third party competing graphics cards.

In the case of 360 sans HDD vs HDD then, yes, the difference is like the PC- your experience with the game will change depending on whether you have the HDD or not.

In the case of replaceable HDDs, as long as the HDD itself is a given whether it's 20 Gigs or 200 Gigs, then it's closer to the memory card- used for storage and a larger HDD shouldn't have an actual effect on the gameplay experience.  So replaceable HDD= good IMO because the game experience stays constant.

I will say, however, I am very nervous that Sony is allowing some games to be installed to the HDD.  Way too close to the PC experience there. FWIW, I do use HD Loader to do this very thing on the PS2 but in that case since it isn't officially supported devs aren't using it as a crutch.  With the PS3 I worry that devs will basically give us games with godawful loadtimes, shrug their shoulders and say "we recommend installing to the HDD". 
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 03:58:18 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 15, 2007, 01:08:05 AM

In the case of 360 sans HDD vs HDD then, yes, the difference is like the PC- your experience with the game will change depending on whether you have the HDD or not.

In the case of replaceable HDDs, as long as the HDD itself is a given whether it's 20 Gigs or 200 Gigs, then it's closer to the memory card- used for storage and a larger HDD shouldn't have an actual effect on the gameplay experience.  So replaceable HDD= good IMO because the game experience stays constant.

I will say, however, I am very nervous that Sony is allowing some games to be installed to the HDD.  Way too close to the PC experience there. FWIW, I do use HD Loader to do this very thing on the PS2 but in that case since it isn't officially supported devs aren't using it as a crutch.  With the PS3 I worry that devs will basically give us games with godawful loadtimes, shrug their shoulders and say "we recommend installing to the HDD". 

I did not know that.  In some ways, I think it is a good thing (though I hope it isn't abused).  The shear size of some games might make it easier on the Developer if they can use some of the HDD. 

I do think patching games is very bad direction for consoles to go.  I mean, developers blame the infinite PC hardware configuration for their woes.  What is the excuse on a console?  Adding new stuff is one thing (read: nice bonus).  I might even find rebalancing a little forgivable.  Bugs?  No.  I don't want any major bugs on a console game.

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
only1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2007, 10:41:24 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on January 14, 2007, 02:46:27 PM

I'm willing to bet there's people alreadydoing that somewhere out there...

You only need the mem card adapter if you want to transfer existing saves- not make new ones.  So you have a cheap one time purchase.

the only problem with that is it's a one-time purchase for a one-time use accesory.  No other accesory, that I can think of, has that same disadvantage. 

It's been a while since I stepped into a Blockbuster so I don't know if they've started renting PS3 games yet, but a rental place could make a KILLING on renting these things out.  $4 for a couple days rental to transfer all your saves???  GameStop should look into it as that's pretty much their entire consumer base that could find the rental useful.

"Beer- the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes little problems."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2007, 12:37:22 PM »

Quote from: only1 on January 18, 2007, 10:41:24 AM

It's been a while since I stepped into a Blockbuster so I don't know if they've started renting PS3 games yet, but a rental place could make a KILLING on renting these things out.  $4 for a couple days rental to transfer all your saves???  GameStop should look into it as that's pretty much their entire consumer base that could find the rental useful.

But why rent for $4 when you can sell the entire device for $15? Doesn't make much sense to me from a business point of view. Well...short of the profit thing anyway.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: