http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 08:34:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] Virtua Fighter 5 Impressions  (Read 3455 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2007, 09:12:58 PM »

Got it in the mail today from Play Asia. I love this no region protection thing for the PS3! smile

The game in Asia is the same exact game as the USA version. It defaults to either English or Japanese depending on what your system language is set to. Very nice. They have both versions on the Blu-Ray disc. I believe that Resistance did the same thing.

Anyway, it installs game data to the HDD. It takes about a minute or so to install. After that initial install, the load times are pretty much non-existent. I started playing quest mode and the customization options in this game are just insane. There are tons of costumes and whatnot for each character to unlock/buy. So far, I love the new fighter El Blaze, the lucha libre wrestler. He has a ton of really cool looking moves.

The game supports 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p and it looks gorgeous. It has now replaced DOA 4 as the best looking fighter. I'll get some pics up later today.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 09:18:14 PM »

Damn you.  I'm waiting for the US release... which is the same day as the F1 release.  It will be the greatest day for my PS3 as of yet.

gellar
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 11:37:47 PM »

As much as I'd love to import this, I know that it'll be just a bit cheaper (US tax verses overseas shipping costs) if I wait a week and a half. That, and I have too many other games to play right now.

Can't wait for the impressions though.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 12:44:36 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 07, 2007, 11:37:47 PM

As much as I'd love to import this, I know that it'll be just a bit cheaper (US tax verses overseas shipping costs) if I wait a week and a half. That, and I have too many other games to play right now.

Can't wait for the impressions though.
I can't wait for the 360 version.

But Hetz, HOW DOES IT PLAY? How? Are the controls the same as VF4? The AI? TELL US!

PSN ID: EduardoX
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 12:53:14 AM »

I need to read up somewhere on what gameplay modes are being included.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 01:00:04 AM »

Pics:

As for the AI etc...I've only played 10 matches so far....but it feels really good. Each of the Ai opponents that you play in the various arcades in quest mode really feels different from each other. I can also tell that it is going to take a long time to get all the items and unlockables. This game has a ton of content. The Asian version of VF5 also comes with VF: 10th Anniversary which is VF4 with VF1 graphics. I believe that was included on VF4: Evolution in the USA.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 01:02:43 AM by Hetz » Logged

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 01:19:08 AM »

Looks great Hetz. Thanks for the pix.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 01:20:18 AM »

I gotta go with DOA4 for crispier graphics, and better anti-aliasing. (and hotter chicks)

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 01:21:11 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on February 08, 2007, 01:00:04 AM

The Asian version of VF5 also comes with VF: 10th Anniversary which is VF4 with VF1 graphics. I believe that was included on VF4: Evolution in the USA.

I believe it was. Or at least I remember some really horrible looking VF1 quality game with the VF4 characters in my VF4: Evo edition.

And Kobra - I'll take a far better fighting engine and AI that actually plays instead of cheats than pretty graphics any day of the week.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 01:35:21 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 08, 2007, 01:21:11 AM

And Kobra - I'll take a far better fighting engine and AI that actually plays instead of cheats than pretty graphics any day of the week.

Absolutely.  Also of note is that the images Kobra posted are direct captures, while I believe Hetz' shots are pictures of his TV from a digital camera.  Not exactly apples to apples there.

gellar
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 01:37:50 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on February 08, 2007, 01:20:18 AM

I gotta go with DOA4 for crispier graphics, and better anti-aliasing. (and hotter chicks)

Hmm....lets see. Direct frame grabs of DOA4 vs pictures taken via a digital camera off a TV. Yep! That is a fair comparison.  slywink

Anyway, to each his own, I guess. DOA 4 does look very, very good. The details and texture work on VF5 is better though, I believe.

(Doh! Gellar beat me to it!)   icon_smile

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 02:15:59 AM »

Is there any sort of online play?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
HGhost
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 02:49:58 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on February 08, 2007, 02:15:59 AM

No there is no online, since the developers said it wouldn't fit with the series.

Sorry though, no more impressions from me. I was greeted with this fine posting when I tried to access the site:

Sorry Hetz, you are banned from using this forum!
Need to keep the personal crap out of the forum

Nice. It would have been nice to know what I was banned for, since Ron said I did nothing wrong in that jblank meltdown thread today. Anyway, it's been nice knowing all of you. Sorry it had to end on such a sour note. I'll still be around the usual haunts and other places on the net. I'm sure I'll see most of you around.

I know that this post will probabily be covered up and glossed over, since the mods/admins never want any discussion about this kind of stuff. Anyway I will be fading off into the graveyard of Gt along with L.E. even though I never, EVER, and I want to make that clear, swore at anyone here or made it personal. I stuck to talk about the systems never making a profane tirade against anyone like we witnessed today. Yet, I was banned. Good call!

-Hetz

P.S. At least you all still have Kobra and jblank! So, it's not all bad, right? smile

P. P. S. Remember me when the PS3 ends up on top!!!!
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 02:54:33 AM »

No.

The developers claim that lag would ruin the experience.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 03:11:17 AM »

Quote from: Bob on February 08, 2007, 02:54:33 AM

No.

Yeah I mean I can understand that decision... but it sucks.

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 03:13:25 AM »

Quote from: HGhost on February 08, 2007, 02:49:58 AM

No there is no online, since the developers said it wouldn't fit with the series.

Sorry though, no more impressions from me. I was greeted with this fine posting when I tried to access the site:

Sorry Hetz, you are banned from using this forum!
Need to keep the personal crap out of the forum

Nice. It would have been nice to know what I was banned for, since Ron said I did nothing wrong in that jblank meltdown thread today. Anyway, it's been nice knowing all of you. Sorry it had to end on such a sour note. I'll still be around the usual haunts and other places on the net. I'm sure I'll see most of you around.

I know that this post will probabily be covered up and glossed over, since the mods/admins never want any discussion about this kind of stuff. Anyway I will be fading off into the graveyard of Gt along with L.E. even though I never, EVER, and I want to make that clear, swore at anyone here or made it personal. I stuck to talk about the systems never making a profane tirade against anyone like we witnessed today. Yet, I was banned. Good call!

-Hetz

P.S. At least you all still have Kobra and jblank! So, it's not all bad, right? smile

P. P. S. Remember me when the PS3 ends up on top!!!!

Hetz I am sure at most its a one week dude-don't feel like you need to go forever if that much-and jblank got a one week today too for his actions-you aren't necessarily being singled out even though I have no idea why this happened. Try to figure it out before you get too pissed at the forum frown
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 03:17:23 AM »

Not to cause you further problems, Hetz, but creating multiple forum accounts is not allowed according to the code of conduct so you may want to get rid of that one.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 03:21:58 AM »

Quote from: gellar on February 08, 2007, 03:11:17 AM

Quote from: Bob on February 08, 2007, 02:54:33 AM

No.

Yeah I mean I can understand that decision... but it sucks.

gellar
I suck so bad at fighting games that I am fine with this. At least the AI is predictable enough to beat.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 03:29:42 AM »

You have an email explaining it.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 03:52:19 AM »

No online play means no purchase for me.  Playing fighting games against the AI gets boring really fast in my opinion.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007, 04:07:34 AM »

Quote from: warning on February 08, 2007, 03:29:42 AM

Warning, not to piss you off but just because I am honestly curious-can we know why? Or are we keeping these things out of general chat so it doesn't spawn arguments. I am just honestly curious.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007, 04:24:35 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 08, 2007, 04:07:34 AM

Quote from: warning on February 08, 2007, 03:29:42 AM

Warning, not to piss you off but just because I am honestly curious-can we know why? Or are we keeping these things out of general chat so it doesn't spawn arguments. I am just honestly curious.

Not to be Mr. Evasive but we really don't want to discuss in public the specific circumstances of someone's ban (or temp-ban in Hetz's & jblank's case).  If they want to share what happened with you or someone else (privately - making an "I got temp-banned!" post is tacky) they're welcome to.  This is a private matter between Ron, the mods and the people directly involved.

I can tell you it involved repeated issues with not following the CoC and, as always, repeated warnings both public and private are given before anyone is banned (either temporarily or permanently).  Much like an iceberg, the general forum member sees a small part of what is there.  Most of it is handled privately as the goal is not to embarrass someone but "encourage" them to change their behavior.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 05:14:00 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 08, 2007, 03:52:19 AM

No online play means no purchase for me.  Playing fighting games against the AI gets boring really fast in my opinion.

However, this is some of the absolute best AI (as in it doesn't cheat, plays like a human, and is always a challenge without being a cheap-ass) EVER in a fighting game. And the Quest mode (whatever it's exactly called) pits you against AI 'designed' around real-life players. It makes for some very entertaining battles.

And online play is outright impossible with the VF series, as all the moves are designed to be seen and reacted upon the frame (yes, 1/30 to 1/60th of a second) it happens, and that's impossible with any sort of lag.

EvilHomer3k
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 03:10:45 PM »

I want online play.  I've been looking at buying a 360 just because DOA offers online play.  Why can DOA have online play but Tekken and VF can't?  Put it in and let ME be the judge of it "ruining the experience."

PSN ID: evilhomer3k
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 03:13:45 PM »

Quote from: EvilHomer3k on February 08, 2007, 03:10:45 PM

I want online play.  I've been looking at buying a 360 just because DOA offers online play.  Why can DOA have online play but Tekken and VF can't?  Put it in and let ME be the judge of it "ruining the experience."

I'm not exactly a fighting game expert but everything I've heard about is that the mechanics are far more precise in VF4 (don't know about Tekken) to survive *any* latency or lag through online play.  As Destructor said above, you are making reactions literally on the timing of one frame of animation.  If they went to the trouble of coding it (which requires a lot of extra time and resources), they would likely just have everyone bitching about broken it was. 
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2007, 02:14:21 AM »

Someone that I hypothetically know hypothetically has the American release of Virtua Fighter 5.  While he hasn't hypothetically opened the box, he hypothetically plans on spending a lot of time with it this weekend.  Hypothetically.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007, 05:17:41 AM »

We'll have to get some hypothetical impressions after the weekend!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 06:17:08 AM »

i was reading up on VF5 for 360 today in magazine,the shots all look good,prolly the same,but the 360 gets it 6 months after ps3...they reckon there will be online play....unless they just mean leaderboards and achievements....anyway,i will prolly get the 360 version,wont be 'til next year that i get the ps3

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007, 02:14:41 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on February 09, 2007, 05:17:41 AM

We'll have to get some hypothetical impressions after the weekend!

Screw your hypothetical impressions after the weekend, I want them now! biggrin

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 09, 2007, 06:17:08 AM

they reckon there will be online play....unless they just mean leaderboards and achievements....

There will be no online play. Trust me.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2007, 03:22:51 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 08, 2007, 03:13:45 PM

If they went to the trouble of coding it (which requires a lot of extra time and resources), they would likely just have everyone bitching about broken it was. 

Instead they'll just have everyone bitching that there is no online play.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2007, 03:34:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 09, 2007, 03:22:51 PM

If they went to the trouble of coding it (which requires a lot of extra time and resources), they would likely just have everyone bitching about broken it was. 

Same Level of bitching with no additional time and money spent on implementation= WIN FOR SEGA!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2007, 03:43:47 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 09, 2007, 03:34:47 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on February 09, 2007, 03:22:51 PM

Same Level of bitching with no additional time and money spent on implementation= WIN FOR SEGA!

touche'

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2007, 07:29:14 PM »

wont buy it if it has no online play...as already said,the games last for about a weekend without it,these kind of games are shallow enough as it is

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2007, 07:32:36 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 09, 2007, 07:29:14 PM

wont buy it if it has no online play...as already said,the games last for about a weekend without it,these kind of games are shallow enough as it is

Have you played Virtual Fighter before (VF4 specifically)?  I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to it as shallow. 
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2007, 08:20:26 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 09, 2007, 07:32:36 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 09, 2007, 07:29:14 PM

Have you played Virtual Fighter before (VF4 specifically)?  I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to it as shallow. 
Yeah, I've played with 3 out of the 10 or 11 characters, and I hardly know how to use them. I spent at least 20 hours just with the drunken boxing fellow in VF4Evo, and I still don't know probably 70% of his moves.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2007, 08:30:55 PM »

guess its for the die hard fans then

i guess i did word what i meant wrong,i meant shallow for me,as i get bored too fast with these type of games...SF2,SC2,tekken,etc,and the game is hardly any strain on the developers(dozen rooms,for a dozen characters),surely online play would be easy enough

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2007, 09:09:48 PM »

I'm not exactly a fighting game expert but everything I've heard about is that the mechanics are far more precise in VF4 (don't know about Tekken) to survive *any* latency or lag through online play.  As Destructor said above, you are making reactions literally on the timing of one frame of animation.  If they went to the trouble of coding it (which requires a lot of extra time and resources), they would likely just have everyone bitching about broken it was. 

How many frames does someone stay in your sights in Unreal Tournament? 

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2007, 09:33:58 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on February 09, 2007, 09:09:48 PM

How many frames does someone stay in your sights in Unreal Tournament? 

A lot more than compared to VF.

gellar
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2007, 09:21:42 AM »

Ah, but actually they aren't.  A lot of FPS games actually rely on some movement prediction models, which means you're usually not shooting at where the player is, but where the computer thinks he'll be.  This is lessened somewhat by broadband these days.

the hiding of lag, etc...  The FPS was one of the first big games to go real-time online play.  Much of the online network code has been developed and researched for FPS games.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2007, 08:58:06 AM »

here is a commercial for the game

http://kotaku.com/gaming/virtua-fighter-5/clip-virtua-fighter-5-commercial-235576.php

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: