http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 07:07:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] The Unfinished Swan  (Read 602 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2012, 05:40:06 PM »

First look of the PS3 exclusive up:

ndie developer unveils The Unfinished Swan, an interesting and original new game for the PSN that feels like nothing before it.

There is nothing in any direction. No color, no sound, no sense of perspective or depth. It is a blank canvas of white, with no up or down, no clues on where to go, and no hint at what you should be doing.

And so begins The Unfinished Swan, one of the most promising digital downloadable games due out this year.

Following in the footsteps of titles like Journey and Limbo, The Unfinished Swan has created something unique in gaming. The mechanics arenít exactly like anything else out there. Comparisons to other games can always be made, but for the most part, The Unfinished Swan is unique in its gameplay.

Following the death of his mother, young Monroe is bound for the orphanage. His mother was an artist of sorts, at least in spirit, and she started over 300 paintings but completed none. Given the choice to keep just one, Monroe elects to hold on to his motherís favorite painting, an unfinished swan. When the swan comes to life and disappears into an incredible and unbelievable world, the boy follows.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/first-look-at-the-intriguing-and-original-ps3-exclusive-the-unfinished-swan/

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 03:30:27 AM »

new trailer.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 03:00:01 PM »

That looks... interesting.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 04:03:24 AM »

Played this at PAX and it was pretty neat.  Not sure how much of a real game it is, but it was fun to explore.  Could have maybe just been the limited area I explored didn't have much in the way of game mechanics.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 08:14:52 PM »

Looks like Iím the only one who gave this one a shot.  A few thoughts.

In short:  The Unfinished Swan is an absolutely wonderful game that everyone should play.

In long:  Iíve said this before, but I find that there are certain games that are so unique, so fresh, and so interesting that they serve as ďrechargersĒ for my increasingly cynical gaming heart.  Thereís so much cookie-cutter crap out there that we forget that games can be truly creative and stimulating.  Unfinished Swan is such a game.

After a brief story setup involving a young boy who is recently orphaned and finds some of his late motherís unfinished paintings, the game drops you to a completely white screen and a target reticule.  No instructions, no HUD, nada.  The trigger buttons throw paint balls and X jumps, those are the extent of the controls.  By throwing paint and watching how it splatters, you are able to discern details about the room youíre in.  Pretty soon, youíre moving through a beautifully realized world of light and shadow, created only through your use of the one tool at your disposal.  As the game progresses, it becomes more and more complex, with the ability to throw water balls that grow vines, a hose that shoots a steady stream of balls over a great distance, balls that trigger doors and bridges, and other obstacles.  Youíll see the odd splash of color that indicates you may want to go, but otherwise you figure it all out on your own.  The puzzles arenít terribly challenging, but are always interesting and fun to figure out.

Artistically, the game is incredible.  The use of black/white contrast through the splattering of paint may sounds boring, but ends up stunningly beautiful in practice.  The world gains more detail the further you go, but is still breathtaking despite its simplicity.  The blocky feel is reminiscent of Katamari Damacy, but on a very minimalist level.  Youíll occasionally come across floating letters which, when hit with a paint or water ball, open up short but beautifully written story segments.   There are plenty of hidden objects such as toys or balloons, the latter of which serves as currency to buy various abilities.  None of these are required to finish the game, but provide some unique and useful skills.

The biggest complaint for Unfinished Swan will likely be the length.  It can be beaten in only a couple hours (it took me around 3), and unless youíre hell bent on finding all the collectables, there isnít a ton of replay value.  That said, I have absolutely no regrets dropping $15 for the experience.  Itís a wonderful example of how supremely creative developers can use this medium in new and fun ways to tell a wonderful, feel-good story.  Itís a great game for kids (my 3-year-old loved watching me play), and is one that brought a smile to my face the entire time I was playing.  If you enjoy unique, artistic, almost childlike fun, then be sure to give this one a look.  Itís an A+ in my book, and a very strong contender for my personal GOTY.

ďMy next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 11:57:17 PM »

I'm surprised I didn't post in here.  I also gave it a go and also love it. 

I don't know that everyone would love it, but it certainly tickles my artistic side.

I am a collectible nut, so the game has already taken me more than 3 hours, and I'm only on Chapter 3, IIRC.  Definitely enjoying it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 05:04:21 AM »

Three additional quick observations:

1.  Meant to mention it in my original post, but if you enjoyed games like Journey and Limbo, this one would be right up your alley.  In fact, there's a hilarious nod to Journey in one of the later levels (hint:  look through the telescope at the top of a tower).

2.  The music deserves a special mention, as it is absolutely wonderful.

3.  I watched the credits and found out the King was voiced by
Spoiler for Hiden:
Terry Gilliam
.  Figures he'd be involved in something this unique and creative.  smile
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 05:07:58 AM by Gratch » Logged

ďMy next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: