http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 09:02:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] The Last Of Us  (Read 17617 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: December 27, 2013, 06:38:28 AM »

For the sneaking segments, just remember that your AI teammates are ignored by enemies, that includes sight and sounds.

ND did kind of a bad job indicating that, so a lot of people end up triggering the enemies themselves, and blame it on the AI, and never get any feedback that shows them how not to, unless they read the tutorial prompts, but who reads those?

Runners can see your flashlight last I checked (there seems to be some contention on this, but they can't hear you so long as you crouch.

Clickers cannot see anything, but can hear you even when crouch walking, unless you're going slowly.

And don't step on noisy objects, or knock over bottles.

Bottles make extra noise when using them for distractions.

Bricks can be used as a 3 hit kill melee weapon that can kill clickers.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 27, 2013, 07:34:49 AM »

Yeah, I never got past the very first time you have to sneak, from humans.

A new one
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 27, 2013, 01:55:09 PM »

I had to step away from the game when I got to the section where you drop down a level on your own ("we'll just wait right here for you to kill everything") where I died many clicker deaths, seemingly no matter what I did. Need to get back to it.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 27, 2013, 02:36:47 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 26, 2013, 08:02:21 PM

I've already vocalized my distaste for this game, but seeing it receive so many GOTY awards is making me feel remorseful and want to go back and give it a second try. Hopefully one day we'll get a "definitive" version of it on the PS4 so I might have that opportunity (already gave my PS3 away to my brother).

Weren't your complaints graphical or something?

It's easily a game of the generation candidate.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 27, 2013, 03:37:22 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on December 27, 2013, 01:55:09 PM

I had to step away from the game when I got to the section where you drop down a level on your own ("we'll just wait right here for you to kill everything") where I died many clicker deaths, seemingly no matter what I did. Need to get back to it.
Yes that was an extremely difficult section. I tried sneaking and taking them out but I was always seen and mobbed. I ended up just running through and then getting myself elevated and in a corner and killing them all.
I am a third of the way through now and while my jaw is not literally on the floor it is literally dropped open practically the whole time I am playing it. I must look like a damned fool while I'm playing but I can't help myself. My favorite trick is using a bottle to get about 3 clickers to gather together and then using a single molotov on all of them.
Some of the sneaking parts are tough but I'm not bothered because it's so easy to restart an encounter and when the sneaking does work it gives you such an awesome sense of satisfaction!
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 27, 2013, 07:10:21 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 27, 2013, 02:36:47 PM

I've already vocalized my distaste for this game, but seeing it receive so many GOTY awards is making me feel remorseful and want to go back and give it a second try. Hopefully one day we'll get a "definitive" version of it on the PS4 so I might have that opportunity (already gave my PS3 away to my brother).

I did have an issue with the framerate in a specific section of the game, but mostly I disliked the combat and most of the gameplay mechanics.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: December 27, 2013, 07:48:29 PM »

I struggled with that section too. Only after I had finished it did the game deem me worthy of receiving the tutorial hint that clickers are blind. Had I known that, the section would have been considerably easier. Without knowing that, alerting the clicker meant certain, unavoidable death, when you can actually avoid it by getting a little distance from it then moving at a slow crawl or even stopping. This requires you to deal with the other guys in the area first, but that's a much smaller problem.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 28, 2013, 02:37:32 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 27, 2013, 07:10:21 PM

I did have an issue with the framerate in a specific section of the game, but mostly I disliked the combat and most of the gameplay mechanics.

So more or less you disliked just about everything? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that maybe it's not worth trying to get another copy of the game.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 28, 2013, 02:43:52 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 27, 2013, 07:48:29 PM

I struggled with that section too. Only after I had finished it did the game deem me worthy of receiving the tutorial hint that clickers are blind. Had I known that, the section would have been considerably easier. Without knowing that, alerting the clicker meant certain, unavoidable death, when you can actually avoid it by getting a little distance from it then moving at a slow crawl or even stopping. This requires you to deal with the other guys in the area first, but that's a much smaller problem.

Thanks TiLT & Canuck, I'll keep that advice in mind when next I drop back into the game.  thumbsup

-craig

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 28, 2013, 07:08:08 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on December 28, 2013, 02:37:32 PM

So more or less you disliked just about everything? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that maybe it's not worth trying to get another copy of the game.

No, I enjoyed the narrative, characters, and dialogue, like most of you.

Sean Lama
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 31, 2013, 10:09:45 PM »

I had some GS credit, so I grabbed a used copy of this today.  I've heard over and over again that the things I would like (i.e. superb story and characters) more than make up for the this I wouldn't like (i.e. survival horror'ish gameplay, fucking zombies), so I'm going to give it a legit try and see how it goes. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 31, 2013, 10:56:17 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 31, 2013, 10:09:45 PM

I had some GS credit, so I grabbed a used copy of this today.  I've heard over and over again that the things I would like (i.e. superb story and characters) more than make up for the this I wouldn't like (i.e. survival horror'ish gameplay, fucking zombies), so I'm going to give it a legit try and see how it goes. 

I think you'll enjoy the game a lot more if you set the difficulty to easy right off the bat.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 31, 2013, 11:01:49 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 31, 2013, 10:56:17 PM

I think you'll enjoy the game a lot more if you set the difficulty to easy right off the bat.

For sure...that's standard practice for me with any game these days. 

Tried firing it up, and it looks like the disc is bad.  I get the logo in the corner, but the game itself won't load.  And, of course, the only other Gamestop with a used copy is about 30 minutes away.  Guess I won't be playing tonight. frown

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 31, 2013, 11:47:07 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 31, 2013, 11:01:49 PM

Tried firing it up, and it looks like the disc is bad.  I get the logo in the corner, but the game itself won't load.  And, of course, the only other Gamestop with a used copy is about 30 minutes away.  Guess I won't be playing tonight. frown

FWIW it takes a shit load of time to load the game every time you start.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 31, 2013, 11:53:29 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 31, 2013, 11:47:07 PM

Quote from: Gratch on December 31, 2013, 11:01:49 PM

FWIW it takes a shit load of time to load the game every time you start.

Not an uncommon problem with the game, you can find plenty of people looking for help since the game was released. This was interesting advice I found that people insisted worked for them:

The following is an actual workaround, so don't laugh.

Do this: Eject the game disc. Grab it with one hand. With your other hand tilt your PS3 up (around 45º) lifting it from the front. Insert the game disc and wait a couple of seconds until it reads, then you can put it down.

Worked for me 100% of the times.

-craig

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: January 01, 2014, 01:46:55 AM »

I'm looking forward to playing this when it comes to the ps4.  From the ND tweet last week it seems like that might happen.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 01, 2014, 02:36:30 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on January 01, 2014, 01:46:55 AM

I'm looking forward to playing this when it comes to the ps4.  From the ND tweet last week it seems like that might happen.

What tweet was that?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 01, 2014, 05:50:51 AM »

Got it to work, thanks for the heads-up that it takes a while to load.

2.5 hours in, and I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it.  The excellent story, writing, and VO work makes a huge difference.  Problem is, I'm absolutely terrible at combat.  Limited ammo + a complete lack of aiming skills = trouble.  smile  I'm a bit frustrated, as I think I've hit the part MonkeyFinger referenced:

There's about half a dozen clickers and runners.  Trying to sneak by them is impossible, and I keep getting mobbed no matter what I do.  Not sure exactly what I'm supposed to do to get past this...might have to consult an FAQ.  My only other minor gripe is the lack of any sort of a directional indicator.  I got turned around a couple times and couldn't figure out which direction I was supposed to head to progress.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: January 01, 2014, 10:18:33 AM »

Gratch:

Spoiler for Hiden:
are you in a office building, or underground?

I'd like to give tips for the segment, but not sure which you're at.

If you're in a building. There's only 1 clicker, the key is to not trigger it and take out all the runners. Remember to keep your flashlight off for runners since they can still see. Use the Listen Mode to get enemy locations, although know that it won't show the clicker since it isn't moving.

You will have to kill all of them, you can't sneak by them.

A brick melee kill, I think, is considered silent, but if that fails, use bottles and such to direct enemies around.

If you get spotted, don't try to stand and fight. Run, do the quick turn (EVERYONE forgets about the quick turn) shoot one down, then run away some more.

Quote from: leo8877 on January 01, 2014, 02:36:30 AM

Quote from: Roguetad on January 01, 2014, 01:46:55 AM

What tweet was that?

Not a tweet, but a message on the playstation blog where someone asked them directly about a PS4 port.

See here:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/12/26/the-last-of-us-music-video-and-looking-ahead-to-2014/#comment-934633

It's not a confirmation of a PS4 port, instead it just showed that they aren't against it. Also that they are portly their PS3 engine over to the PS4. Although that's not the entire engine, it is a significant chunk of the old engine, thus meaning it will still same time when making a port.

The reality is, a PS4 port of TLoU and the Uncharted games isn't a question of If, but When. Much like the HD remakes of PS2 games that were all profitable, a Full HD and full solid 30/60 FPS versions of PS3 games will make their money back, even with all the difficulties of porting a PS3 game over. Another benefit is that it allows people who have jumped from 360s over to PS4 to experience the past titles, just in time for their PS4 sequels.

It also helps that Sony's ICE team, their main technology, engine, and development tools/API department is actually handled by Naughty Dog, or an offshoot in the same building. It's no coincidence that ND has the best tech in PS3 games considering their group made most of the tools devs used by devs when working on the PS3, and now the PS4.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 10:33:47 AM by Turtle » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 01, 2014, 05:19:15 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 01, 2014, 10:18:33 AM

Gratch:

Spoiler for Hiden:
are you in a office building, or underground?

I'd like to give tips for the segment, but not sure which you're at.

If you're in a building. There's only 1 clicker, the key is to not trigger it and take out all the runners. Remember to keep your flashlight off for runners since they can still see. Use the Listen Mode to get enemy locations, although know that it won't show the clicker since it isn't moving.

You will have to kill all of them, you can't sneak by them.

A brick melee kill, I think, is considered silent, but if that fails, use bottles and such to direct enemies around.

If you get spotted, don't try to stand and fight. Run, do the quick turn (EVERYONE forgets about the quick turn) shoot one down, then run away some more.

It was the office building, and thanks for the tips.  smile

Got a little further in after posting last night, and came away with a couple additional observations:

1.  Is it just me, or is the AI detection completely random?  Case in point:  I was crouched behind a desk watching two clickers patrol an area, trying to figure out their pattern so I could sneak by.  They passed by my spot once, twice, three times...then on the fourth pass - without me moving at all - one of them suddenly noticed me and charged.  Game over.  Have had something similar happen multiple times.  I suppose you could say that ups the tension, but I just find it annoying.  

2.   It really breaks the immersion to see my character sneaking around and being very stealthy...while my two partners are climbing over, around, and through the prowling baddies.  I totally get why the devs made your companions undetectable, but it just looks completely ridiculous.

3.  Would it kill them to throw in a mid-mission save point?  I spend 20 minutes getting through an area teeming with baddies, and get surprised by one last dude on the way out who takes me down because I'm out of shivs.     icon_evil  Again, I'm sure some people love the fact that this ups the tension, but playing through the same area over and over and over again isn't really my idea of fun.

Still enjoying the game, but can certainly see some of the cracks starting to show.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 02, 2014, 03:48:49 PM »

Gratch, I had trouble with that office sequence too, if you're at the place I'm thinking about.  I think the segment is a bit of a spike in the difficulty curve, and after you pass that you should be back to reasonable challenges for a while. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 02, 2014, 03:57:44 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 01, 2014, 05:19:15 PM

2.   It really breaks the immersion to see my character sneaking around and being very stealthy...while my two partners are climbing over, around, and through the prowling baddies.  I totally get why the devs made your companions undetectable, but it just looks completely ridiculous.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 02, 2014, 05:44:43 PM »

Imagine if your partners were detectable...  Imagine the frustration of stupid AI and pathfinding.  This was the compromise.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 02, 2014, 09:53:55 PM »

Quote from: naednek on January 02, 2014, 05:44:43 PM

Imagine if your partners were detectable...  Imagine the frustration of stupid AI and pathfinding.  This was the compromise.

But they didn't have to make the partners so cloddhoppingly loud and run-aroundy.  It is nerve shattering to the extreme at first and then realism-shattering once you get used to their stomping not having any impact at all on the world around them.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: January 02, 2014, 10:53:48 PM »

It's also a technical compromise. They didn't have the memory budget to add extra AI, more animations, and pathing to scenes already heavily populated by enemies.

I suppose they could have drastically lowered AI volume on footsteps while in sneak mode though.

Last gen was a generation of consoles with very strange compromises, I still smile when seeing Mass Effect and Shepard pointing guns at everyone he talks to since they didn't have the memory to put in an animation where he lowers his gun.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 03, 2014, 02:55:40 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 28, 2013, 07:08:08 PM

Combat did get repetitive, but it's worth playing through. I'd take one of the other's recommendations and play through on easy.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 03, 2014, 05:47:43 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 03, 2014, 02:55:40 PM

Quote from: Ridah on December 28, 2013, 07:08:08 PM

Combat did get repetitive, but it's worth playing through. I'd take one of the other's recommendations and play through on easy.

Good advice. Now to convince my brother to let me borrow the PS3 I gave him  Tongue

Sean Lama
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 06, 2014, 08:55:05 PM »

Put in another hour or so and decided that this game just isn't for me.  While the story and characters are well done (although not nearly as engaging as I'd heard), the actual gameplay ended up being far more frustrating than fun.  Add in a post-apocalyptic/zombie setting that I didn't find interesting at all, and it really never clicked.

It's a pretty remarkable technical achievement and I can absolutely see why others would love it though.  Glad I gave it a look.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 06, 2014, 08:58:31 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 06, 2014, 08:55:05 PM

Put in another hour or so and decided that this game just isn't for me.  While the story and characters are well done (although not nearly as engaging as I'd heard), the actual gameplay ended up being far more frustrating than fun.  Add in a post-apocalyptic/zombie setting that I didn't find interesting at all, and it really never clicked.

It's a pretty remarkable technical achievement and I can absolutely see why others would love it though.  Glad I gave it a look.

Out of curiosity, what part of the story did you get to?
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 06, 2014, 09:24:50 PM »

I played through it recently as well. I can see the grandness of the game and what it did well but it never really got it's hooks in me very deep. I did complete it but for a game that seems to emphasize stealth so much I felt like I got forced into direct combat way too much.

I really like ND as a developer but I would have rather just had a great Uncharted game.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: January 06, 2014, 09:28:02 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 06, 2014, 08:58:31 PM

Out of curiosity, what part of the story did you get to?

I got to the Capitol building.   Wasn't feeling any particular pull to keep playing, so I traded it back before my 7 days were up (used copy at GS).

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 06, 2014, 09:52:23 PM »

I'm having this problem myself.  It's like the fact that the story and characters are so nicely done is just making me hate the combat.  I'm at the university and I just can't seem to get myself to play much.  Anytime combat comes up, I just want to turn the game off.  I was thinking about why a game like this causes me issues, but I had no such issue with Bioshock Infinite, which also had great characters and story and also had enemy arenas just like this.  I think the difference is that with Bioshock, since the combat isn't as realistic in that you can run and gun and you have the abilities as well, it made the combat more enjoyable.  With Last of Us, you have to hunker down behind cover and struggle with limited supply of ammo against enemies that can potentially take you down quickly and it just becomes a chore that I really want to get through to get to the cool part, which is the story.  But it's hard to get to the next cool story thing when there's combat in the way.  I keep telling myself to just put it on Easy and run through the combat, but the non-quitter in me seems to forbid me from doing that.  So, I'm at this weird standstill where I can't bring myself to finish the game and I can't make myself do the thing that will most likely make me finish it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: January 06, 2014, 10:06:14 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 06, 2014, 09:52:23 PM

With Last of Us, you have to hunker down behind cover

I think that might be the cause of your issues with the game right there. The Last of Us doesn't want you to hunker down behind cover to slowly take down the enemies. It will actively punish you for doing so. The game expects you to keep moving, preferably out of sight and/or behind cover. It wants you to aggressively punish the enemy for trying to outsmart you. If you stay still, your enemies will take advantage of your known position by both flanking and rushing you. They don't play fair, and neither should you. Keep moving, place traps wherever the enemy thinks you are, and don't be afraid to disengage quietly from combat to return to stealth. It's a very rich combat system, but it won't feel that way if you play it like most other shooters, including Uncharted.

Of course, none of this is true against the "zombies". It's the humans you shouldn't underestimate. They know how to deal with someone staying in one place.  
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:08:10 PM by TiLT » Logged
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 06, 2014, 10:09:42 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 06, 2014, 10:06:14 PM

Quote from: The Grue on January 06, 2014, 09:52:23 PM

With Last of Us, you have to hunker down behind cover

I think that might be the cause of your issues with the game right there. The Last of Us doesn't want you to hunker down behind cover to slowly take down the enemies. It will actively punish you for doing so. The game expects you to keep moving, preferably out of sight and/or behind cover. It wants you to aggressively punish the enemy for trying to outsmart you. If you stay still, your enemies will take advantage of your known position by both flanking and rushing you. They don't play fair, and neither should you. Keep moving, place traps wherever the enemy thinks you are, and don't be afraid to disengage quietly from combat to return to stealth. It's a very rich combat system, but it won't feel that way if you play it like most other shooters, including Uncharted.

Of course, none of this is true against the "zombies". It's the humans you shouldn't underestimate. They know how to deal with someone staying in one place.  

I was being a little simplistic with my description, but yes I am moving from one place of cover to another.  It's not making the combat fun. frown  Stealth is another issue of the game in that I never feel truly comfortable that I am sneaking up on a person.

I'm not dying or anything, so it isn't even that it's frustrating me because I am not making it through the combat.  It really is just that I don't enjoy those sections when they happen.  Just to tell you the latest part in spoilers:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I got to the University and found out the Fireflies had moved on.  Then, you hear some people start yelling which means it's combat time.  I just shut the game off because I didn't want to deal with it
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:15:18 PM by The Grue » Logged

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: January 06, 2014, 10:18:15 PM »

For what it's worth, it's relatively easy to stealth that entire section. Shouting doesn't mean you've been spotted in this case.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: January 07, 2014, 01:49:26 AM »

How much are you guys making use of crafting, items, bottles/bricks, and melee?

The thing that made the game for me was the mixing of combat, bounding between shooting, melee, item use, and environment use.

I'd have to say that, after the Capitol Building, things open up a lot more as you get more weapons and parts for weapon upgrades, or craftable items start filling out.

Other things, like being able to quick throw objects to hit people are sometimes missed. You don't need to aim with thrown objects if you're within a certain range, a target circle will show up when you have a thrown item equipped and you can just hit the throw button. This is great for pinch situations where you need to quickly chuck something at an enemy that is about to kill you, which leads up to a 1 hit melee kill.

I still stand by my previous statements that the problems with the default shooting really trip up people when jumping into ND games. You may think I'm belittling your opinions and arguments, but I'm actually agreeing there's a serious problem.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:51:55 AM by Turtle » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: January 07, 2014, 06:27:30 PM »

PS4 owners take note, this will be one of the streaming games available on Playstation Now sometime after its summer launch.  I wonder if this puts a stake in the PS4 native version but I really hope it doesn't.  They could throw quite a bit more at the AI and graphics if they do this right.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 07, 2014, 06:44:54 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 07, 2014, 06:27:30 PM

PS4 owners take note, this will be one of the streaming games available on Playstation Now sometime after its summer launch.  I wonder if this puts a stake in the PS4 native version but I really hope it doesn't.  They could throw quite a bit more at the AI and graphics if they do this right.

After hearing about ps now I'd say there's little chance of a native version. Too bad!  Hope I'm wrong.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 09, 2014, 05:21:00 PM »

Managed to beat the game last night.  Got really frustrated during the last combat sequence as I just kept dying over and over.  Times when I thought I should have gotten a stealth kill, I didn't and head shots with the assault rifle weren't resulting in quick kills.  Luckily toward the end, I had enough flamethrower ammo to just kind of end it all.  Enjoyed the ending, but my overall impression of this GOTY (for many) is it's not my GOTY for sure, but I enjoyed the characters and story.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 13, 2014, 06:00:01 PM »

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/13/your-first-look-at-the-last-of-us-single-player-dlc
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: