http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 01:10:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] The Last Of Us  (Read 11948 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: June 14, 2013, 01:15:01 PM »

I've only been playing this for a few hours so far. Judging by the rate at which I'm given "XP", I'd say the game is pretty damn long. It's also extremely hard. One of the first times I encountered the "zombie" type of enemies, I had to restart that section about 10 times before I finally got it. This is on normal difficulty. In hindsight there were some things I could have done differently to make it easier for myself, but the game only educates you about these things afterwards. This isn't a straightforward shooter, particularly when you consider the lack of ammo. I've fired off maybe 15 shots so far, and I've got 10 left. Ammo is scarce!
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 14, 2013, 01:22:36 PM »

Game arriving today.  icon_cool

Out of curiosity, how long after their "zombie apocalypse" does this take place?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: June 14, 2013, 01:25:55 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on June 14, 2013, 01:22:36 PM

Out of curiosity, how long after their "zombie apocalypse" does this take place?

That would actually be a spoiler (believe it or not). If you absolutely must know, click the spoiler below, but be aware that this might ruin parts of the opening sequence for you.

Spoiler for Hiden:
20 years.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2013, 05:27:19 PM »

Load times are insane in this game, btw. Expect to spend about 5 minutes from the moment you start the game until you've loaded your saved game. On the other hand, once you're in the game there are no load screens, not even when restarting checkpoints. The entire game (with any story-based exceptions) is one large, continuous world.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2013, 06:36:31 PM »

It has been a long time since i've gamed on the ps3. Can you install it to the HD or do you just play from disc?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2013, 07:12:02 PM »

Play it from the disc. It steam installs to the HD and uses it as cache as you play. That's how all Naughty Dog games have worked.

Unfortunately, that also means that when you have to load a later segment, everything needs to be loaded all at once.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 14, 2013, 07:38:21 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 14, 2013, 01:15:01 PM

This isn't a straightforward shooter, particularly when you consider the lack of ammo. I've fired off maybe 15 shots so far, and I've got 10 left. Ammo is scarce!
I don't think this was ever meant to be a straight forward shooter.. so that fits..
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2013, 12:21:29 AM »

Iíve gotta say, this is one of the first console games in a long time to hold my interest. 

Iím a little surprised by the reports that itís a long game though.  The in game percentage tracker says Iím at 15% after only about an hour.  That seems to imply only about 7 hours. 
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2013, 02:40:12 AM »

So far, this is an incredible game.    I'm hanging it up for the evening though.    Yeah I'm a big chicken when in the house totally alone at night playing zombie games.   I'll play again tomorrow when the sun is up.    ninja
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2013, 02:56:05 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on June 15, 2013, 12:21:29 AM

Iíve gotta say, this is one of the first console games in a long time to hold my interest. 

Iím a little surprised by the reports that itís a long game though.  The in game percentage tracker says Iím at 15% after only about an hour.  That seems to imply only about 7 hours. 

Listened to a podcast where a dedicated gamer said it tool him 17 hours, more than the usual 15. I suspect later encounters take longer to get through.

I'm playing on hard and so far, none of the usual difficulty spikes. I have died quite a few times, but this is one of the few games where hard feels hard without being arbitrarily unfair. Having watched some let's plays concurrently with the parts I've gone through, you definitely get a lot less loot from scavenging. Enemies are also much tougher in a good way. There is absolutely no way to shoot your way through any of the encounters. You just don't have the ammo.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2013, 02:59:04 AM »

I'm finding that even on normal difficulty, using your firearm is a last resort.    This is very realistic.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2013, 05:06:21 AM »

holy shit what an intro.

And playing in pitch dark using surround sound headphones is not the greatest idea I've had
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2013, 07:59:30 AM »

Quote from: naednek on June 15, 2013, 05:06:21 AM

holy shit what an intro.

And playing in pitch dark using surround sound headphones is not the greatest idea I've had

Cross  post of what happened in my first 5 minutes of play time.

Well I had a 30 minute gap before the kids got in from football club and had a bit of a thingy while playing Last of Us.

I shut the curtains and started the game, got 5 minutes in and then something happened, my pc is against the patio doors and there came a massive bang on the door scaring the crap outta me just as something similar was happening in game. Bloody eldest had sneaked round the back and was banging on the door to scare me, little did he know how much it would. Palpatations for about 5 minutes. Hope i don't get nightmares

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2013, 08:18:42 AM »

Playing on Hard is still a good decision so far, I'm a good long ways into the game. You'll have to repeat some parts over, but it reloads instantly and feels fair.

Resources are absolutely scarce, it forces you to use every trick in the book.

Because of that, I've had the most intense and creative fights ever.

Grabbed a guy, only to have his two friends turn around, and I only had one shot. Plugged one guy in the chest and my gun clicked empty. I shived the guy I was holding hostage and saw his friend charging me and I didn't have the health for a proper fight, so I quickly selected and throw my brick at his face and knocked him out with a single punch. However, his friend had recovered and gotten behind me, and grabbed me from behind, only to have Ellie brick the guy before my health ran out, allowing me to turn around and punch his lights out.

The entire game is made for there to be moments like these.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2013, 12:49:40 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 14, 2013, 01:25:55 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on June 14, 2013, 01:22:36 PM

That would actually be a spoiler (believe it or not). If you absolutely must know, click the spoiler below, but be aware that this might ruin parts of the opening sequence for you.

Spoiler for Hiden:
20 years.

Thanks. Just came back to this thread in the morning after having played for about an hour last night so I'd already seen the answer to my question. Yes, that answer was a little unexpected. And damn but that was quite the heart-wrenching intro.  icon_cry

-craig

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 15, 2013, 01:16:06 PM »

I played for about 90 minutes last night and I selected the hard difficulty.

So far I'm enjoying it but am a little put off that it is SO combat focused. Hopefully, that's just to streamline explaining the controls.  Thus far, great writing, great atmosphere. 

I have three small nits:

1. I like to explore.  I'm missing out on some dialogue as the person i'm walking with continues on while I look in every nook. Not a big deal
2. Character models. Pretty sure I've already run into the same black guy 3 times
3.  So far the distract and ambush mechanics are too simple. Throw a bottle and you're almost guaranteed a stealth kill.  Should only work once or twice. Not on every guy in the encounter

H2H fighting feels appropriately brutal for sure.

I like the limited ammo.

So far the controls are a little convoluted, but that's just because I'm not used to the PS3 controller. WHICH ONE IS L3?! slywink

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2013, 02:18:21 PM »

Well hell... I bought the version of the game that came with the 'Art Of' book and the comic and it turns out the art book has a major character spoiler in the comments in the first few pages. Not going to even spoiler it here, want to see how far into the game they reveal that information to the player.  icon_confused

-craig

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2013, 02:22:57 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 15, 2013, 01:16:06 PM

So far the controls are a little convoluted, but that's just because I'm not used to the PS3 controller. WHICH ONE IS L3?! slywink

Press down on the left stick
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 15, 2013, 02:33:25 PM »

Quote from: naednek on June 15, 2013, 02:22:57 PM

Quote from: ATB on June 15, 2013, 01:16:06 PM

Press down on the left stick

No, I figured it out. My point was the 360 controller is muscle memory at this point. PS3 controller not so much slywink.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 15, 2013, 02:38:22 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on June 15, 2013, 02:18:21 PM

Well hell... I bought the version of the game that came with the 'Art Of' book and the comic and it turns out the art book has a major character spoiler in the comments in the first few pages. Not going to even spoiler it here, want to see how far into the game they reveal that information to the player.  icon_confused
I will!
Spoiler for Hiden:
Ellie is your father!
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 15, 2013, 02:42:44 PM »

I went straight into MP, which is something I just don't normally do.. In fact, I generally don't do MP on consoles... I played a few rounds and had some fun... Only killed 2 people in about 45 minutes.. Lot's of deaths... I will probably play some more, just got to get use to the controller...(Why didn't anyone ever think to find a while to play these games in a keyboard/mouse like way?)
Only played a few minutes of SP and will probably restart it anyway (never even left the starting area, just wanted to check it out).. Plan on playing it with my wife so she can follow the story and see if she gets into games like this.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 15, 2013, 03:45:42 PM »

Stupid tapatalk that does not hide spoilers :-(

A new one
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 15, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »

This game is amazing.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 15, 2013, 08:10:28 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on June 15, 2013, 02:38:22 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on June 15, 2013, 02:18:21 PM

I will!
Spoiler for Hiden:
Ellie is your father!

Sorry, close but no cigar.  icon_wink

-craig

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 15, 2013, 08:29:34 PM »

This is saying a LOT:

So far I've cared about every character I've met.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 15, 2013, 09:51:10 PM »

I don't even like zombie themes and I'm enjoying this (I didn't even know there were zombies in the game before I started playing, media blackout).  Luckily the story isn't typical zombie movie, it's more like a Children of Men mixed with some Cormac McCarthy.

The coincidences with the interaction of the 2 main characters in this game and Bioshock Infinite is pretty funny.  I LOL'd the first time I heard "have some ammo" during a fight.  The voice acting is superb.  Gunplay and stealth elements is kind of sub par at best.  That part continues to be Naught Dog's weak link.  Hopefully they can take some lessons from games like Tomb Raider for the next Uncharted.

I'm about 6 hours in and it says 40% complete.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2013, 04:36:56 AM »

icon_razz

Quote from: skystride on June 15, 2013, 09:51:10 PM

The coincidences with the interaction of the 2 main characters in this game and Bioshock Infinite is pretty funny.  I LOL'd the first time I heard "have some ammo" during a fight.  The voice acting is superb.  Gunplay and stealth elements is kind of sub par at best.  That part continues to be Naught Dog's weak link.  Hopefully they can take some lessons from games like Tomb Raider for the next Uncharted.

The same actor does both male leads, too.

I feel like his accent is all over the place in this one. 

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: June 16, 2013, 07:53:58 PM »

I'm having very mixed feelings about the game, I've played about 4 hours.  I like the setting, story, and the characters but the actual game is just not clicking.  I'm playing on hard  so maybe that has something to do with it.  The shooting mechanics are okay, not great, I find it very hard to even hit the enemies much less get head shots maybe I may need to tune the sensitivity.  The AI partners are sometimes a mess.  In situations where you are going stealthy the game does make it so that, most of the time, it's you who the enemies have to see before they are alerted.  I've had many times where I was sneaking around and then looked behind me and one of my AI partners ran into the infected and pushed them out of the way to get beside me and the enemies weren't alerted.  In one section I'm told to be quiet but it doesn't stop the AI from shooting a shotgun alerting all nearby enemies. It's these little things that are frustrating and taking me out of the game.  Also there is a ton of cursing in the game and mostly by the "teenager".

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2013, 08:16:44 PM »

Quote from: shon on June 16, 2013, 07:53:58 PM

The shooting mechanics are okay, not great, I find it very hard to even hit the enemies much less get head shots

That's the entire point! The Last of Us has a far more realistic approach to gunfighting than just about any other game out there. Aiming leaves you dangerously exposed, is barely effective (at least until you upgrade your sway), and can be unpredictable. Trying to shoot something that is trying to eat your face off is incredibly stupid most of the time. It's the way it should be in more games. If these things bother you, you're probably trying to play this game like you play other games. You can't do that. Your pistol should be seen as a last-ditch emergency response for when better solutions aren't available. Getting a head shot in this game should be a moment of triumph, not something you expect to be able to pull off with any regularity. Consider yourself lucky if you hit in the first place.

The AI partners are sometimes a mess.  In situations where you are going stealthy the game does make it so that, most of the time, it's you who the enemies have to see before they are alerted.  I've had many times where I was sneaking around and then looked behind me and one of my AI partners ran into the infected and pushed them out of the way to get beside me and the enemies weren't alerted. 

That's a necessary evil so that your carefully planned stealth isn't ruined by the AI, which will never be good enough to do these things as well as the average player anyway.

In one section I'm told to be quiet but it doesn't stop the AI from shooting a shotgun alerting all nearby enemies.

I can pretty much guarantee that it didn't happen that way. You were most likely spotted, or a scripted sequence started where the enemies automatically see you. At that point the AI will start shooting. They will never shoot if you are hidden. Hell, they'll even stop shooting if you go back to hiding in the middle of combat. Listen to the whooshing sound. It means that someone can see you. If you can't get out of sight immediately, your cover will be blown. Depending on the lighting, your position, and the enemy, you might not even get a change to get out of sight before the alarm is raised.

Also there is a ton of cursing in the game and mostly by the "teenager".

It's a mature game set in a near lawless world. What did you expect? The Last of Us doesn't pull any punches.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2013, 08:26:39 PM »

Nah, I don't think that the shooting mechanics are deliberately made bad. In this case, I think it's a real technical limitation. Naughty Dog have put so much into the world and setting, that they've had to sacrifice some of the snappiness to the controls that most shooters have. This has allowed them to create a world and character with detail and nuance that no game can match, but the shooting aspect suffers. I think I'm fine with that trade off, for now, but I don't want to see it continue for the PS4 era games when Naughty Dog gets around to that.

As above, the messy teammate AI, and it's immunity to most things like detection by AI enemies is a necessary evil. Again, this is pushing up against the hardware and practical limitations. It's near impossible to make a good stealthy AI that can do that, and follow the player around.

And, as per Tilt's response, the only time the AI shoots is when you were spotted, period. They know instantly when you were spotted, so it may seem like they shoot early.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2013, 09:37:09 PM »

Now that Iím a bit further in the game some of the sheen has worn off for me.  I loved the first hour of the game but once it threw me into a Clicker heavy area I became very annoyed.  In a game like this I want to explore and collect everything but I feel that the game punishes you for that with the fact that you can be killed instantly, thus making you have to re-collect everything since it saves only at the start of an area.  Combine this with a stealth focus and itís just too tedious for me to play like that.

My enjoyment went back up though once I discovered that you really donít have to be that careful.  Now I save all my equipment for Molotovs, nail bombs, carry a good melee weapon and take Clickers head on.  It helps that my game apparently bugged out in my favor and I got the shiv self defense upgrade for free.  I had been saving all my pills (havenít spent any yet) and once I picked up an upgraded shiv recipe I found that I now had the ability.  Convenience!

Also, at least on normal, if you hit a Clicker with a bottle and you can do a one shot kill on them with a melee weapon if you hurry.  Strangely, other Clickers donít seem to hear the bottle break.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 09:39:05 PM by Lordnine » Logged
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2013, 10:30:12 PM »

I have learned through this magnificent game that I would be totally dead during an end of the world apocalypse.    There is no way in HELL I would set foot into a darkened building, sewer, etc.    Ever.    Period.

I would likely die of exposure or starvation.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2013, 11:39:03 PM »

I find that turning Snap Aiming on (or whatever they call it) helps, but the mechanics for the gunplay aren't very good.  And it's not done to make the game "more realistic" - the limited ammo does a fine job of that on its own.  The controls only serve to make it frustrating.

I'm playing in full-on stealth mode wherever I can and conserving ammo like crazy.  There are still moments where gun fights are unavoidable and made super frustrating by the controls.  There's a scripted sequence in particular I'm thinking of where you can't move and are made to shoot at approaching enemies.  The regular zombies were frustrating but fine since a QTE would lead to a better lined up shot, but then the clickers charged and if you don't shoot them, you die.  The sloppy controls were readily apparent here.  I was only able to get through that sequence by turning on the Snap Aiming, and even then some of it was luck. 

I know the AI isn't spotted by the enemy, but they can still cause you to enter an accidental fight.  There have been a number of times when the team has been in stealth mode, creeping along, eyes on a zombie who hasn't spotted me yet, and then I something came tearing up behind me, and I spun around and backed up to avoid it, only to see Bill was the one running at me in his heavy boots.  Of course, by then I've already backed into the zombie.  The AI "stealth" mode in this is ridiculous.

Doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the game, but good lord, Naughty Dog needs to get their combat in order.  They make these spectacular stories, but this one issue keeps making their games more frustrating than they need to be.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: June 17, 2013, 05:45:20 AM »

The combat is about as good as it needs to be for now. I agree it definitely needs improvement, but knowing the current hardware limitations, we're literally the point where they had to sacrifice AI processor cycles and memory for their routines, along things like smoothness just to make sure all those unique textures are loading properly when you turn in place.

I do think that aspects like how fast you can actually shoot are deliberately toned down. You'll notice that without upgrades, your shotgun takes forever to fire again after a shot. That is one aspect that was definitely done deliberately, but the other stuff, like input lag and such, that's a sure fire sign of an engine and hardware pushed to its limits, which is sad.

This is why I was all for next gen consoles, regardless of which one. With the default spec of a gaming console or PC raised a reasonable amount, and with graphic fidelity rapidly hitting the point of diminishing returns, it's a better deal to put that extra hardware behind more gameplay.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 17, 2013, 06:15:37 AM »

First 15 minutes of this game were pretty good and rather fun - Or rather, best opening I've seen in a game until now. Then the actual gameplay started, and it all went rapidly downhill from there.

As others have noted, the combat is horrible - And please dont start about its just us not understanding the game or playing it correctly. Its not very well implemented, and frankly, is somewhat boring. So far the brick is the ultimate weapon and bottles means instant stealth is my experience. I think that Turtle is right though, in that its engine limitations. The details and the environment are very nicely done and probably some of the most interesting I've seen.

The game feels more like a Hollywood set though, than a real world for some reason - Perhaps its the uncanny valley effect? We are getting closer to real life so that one notices how unreal it looks?

All in all, I don't have much fun with the game but thats probably more me than the game. I don't understand all the 100's and 95's though - The game has a lot of issues, but the more I think about it, the more its probably because how good it looks, meaning errors are looking more out of place.

I cannt help though but sneak in a little advertising that State of Decay features gameplay that I like a LOT more, but of course a lot uglier, and it just got an update ;-)

Anyways - I'm sure if you liked the Uncharted games, this will be right up your alley!

A new one
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: June 17, 2013, 09:07:55 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 17, 2013, 06:15:37 AM

First 15 minutes of this game were pretty good and rather fun - Or rather, best opening I've seen in a game until now. Then the actual gameplay started, and it all went rapidly downhill from there.

As others have noted, the combat is horrible - And please dont start about its just us not understanding the game or playing it correctly. Its not very well implemented, and frankly, is somewhat boring. So far the brick is the ultimate weapon and bottles means instant stealth is my experience. I think that Turtle is right though, in that its engine limitations. The details and the environment are very nicely done and probably some of the most interesting I've seen.

The game feels more like a Hollywood set though, than a real world for some reason - Perhaps its the uncanny valley effect? We are getting closer to real life so that one notices how unreal it looks?

All in all, I don't have much fun with the game but thats probably more me than the game. I don't understand all the 100's and 95's though - The game has a lot of issues, but the more I think about it, the more its probably because how good it looks, meaning errors are looking more out of place.

I cannt help though but sneak in a little advertising that State of Decay features gameplay that I like a LOT more, but of course a lot uglier, and it just got an update ;-)

Anyways - I'm sure if you liked the Uncharted games, this will be right up your alley!

I have to say you are starting to sound like a broken record. You went on before the game was out about the issues, Tom reviewed it and you said you were never buying it because of all of the above. Then you went out and bought it anyways and continue to complain about the same things you complained about before buying it and after buying it knowing exactly what it was like  crybaby

I hate romantic comedies, wont watch then and if i did i wouldnt bother bitching that its a romantic comedy when i watched it having said i never would watch it. You are your own worse enemy, it was perfectly clear what the game was like and still you go on about it.  saywhat

Tongue

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 17, 2013, 09:11:56 AM »

And you are sounding like a broken record as well with the room for both things, and so what ? This is about me trying out the game, and commenting on my experiences? Why are you so mad about me or others not liking the game? Go for the ball, not the man. Its getting ugly.

Actually, if you read what I wrote, its nothing like my initial complaints before I got the game, but hey, whatever floats your boat, I guess.

edit: I also did not write anything about the game here, if you'll notice. I don't write as if I expect people to read my posts on both forums either.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:18:01 AM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: June 17, 2013, 09:21:47 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 17, 2013, 09:11:56 AM

And you are sounding like a broken record as well with the room for both things, and so what ? This is about me trying out the game, and commenting on my experiences? Why are you so mad about me or others not liking the game? Go for the ball, not the man. Its getting ugly.

Actually, if you read what I wrote, its nothing like my initial complaints before I got the game, but hey, whatever floats your boat, I guess.

edit: I also did not write anything about the game here, if you'll notice. I don't write as if I expect people to read my posts on both forums either.

Not really, you stated you would not be buying this game,  said thanks to Tom for his review and you agreed with it, and yet you still bought it and its exactly as it was said to be and you dont like it. Which generally is fine, but you already said you werent buying because of the issues with fighting etc etc and still bought it. IMO you lose the bitching card because you knew it all ahead of buying it.

I mean did you think your copy was going to be magically different, maybe you were getting the State of Decay version of The Last of Us, lol

No really i am just winding you up, and you deserve it for buying it you muppet, you knew you wouldn't like it but couldn't help yourself icon_lol

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2013, 09:21:55 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 16, 2013, 11:39:03 PM

I find that turning Snap Aiming on (or whatever they call it) helps, but the mechanics for the gunplay aren't very good.  And it's not done to make the game "more realistic" - the limited ammo does a fine job of that on its own.  The controls only serve to make it frustrating.

I'm an Uncharted veteran. I've played through all those games (including the Vita game) on Hard, and both the first two on Crushing difficulty. I can pull off headshots reliably in those games. Early on in The Last of Us I could barely hit anything, and only now, after an upgrade to my aiming skill and more practice, am I starting to hit, but even that isn't reliable. Your aiming reticle sways and takes some time to focus, and this appears to me to be deliberate. They already have very good shooting controls in the Uncharted games. The only reason they wouldn't keep things as slick and precise as those is because they don't want to. You're not supposed to be some shooting champion in The Last of Us. You're not supposed to mow down hordes of enemies from behind safe cover. It's not that kind of game.

I understand that this might not be to everyone's taste, but don't mistake it for a bug or flawed game mechanics. It's a controversial design decision, one that I personally like. It makes me feel vulnerable, which is exactly the kind of feeling you should get from this kind of game. It's also realistic. Gunfire is far from accurate, and even an experienced shooter would struggle to hit a moving target, even if up close.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 17, 2013, 09:34:34 AM »

Quote from: Reemul on June 17, 2013, 09:21:47 AM

Quote from: Razgon on June 17, 2013, 09:11:56 AM

Not really, you stated you would not be buying this game,  said thanks to Tom for his review and you agreed with it, and yet you still bought it and its exactly as it was said to be and you dont like it. Which generally is fine, but you already said you werent buying because of the issues with fighting etc etc and still bought it. IMO you lose the bitching card because you knew it all ahead of buying it.

I mean did you think your copy was going to be magically different, maybe you were getting the State of Decay version of The Last of Us, lol

No really i am just winding you up, and you deserve it for buying it you muppet, you knew you wouldn't like it but couldn't help yourself icon_lol

I think you are reading what you want to read, and not what I actually write, for some reason.

1) My initial concerns, which I detailed here: Linear Shooter with an emphasis on story.
2) My actual concerns after playing the game - Gameplay isn't very well realized (Although Tilt disagree), uncanny valley effects in how good some things look, and how bad others looks. I do end the post on a positive note, that if you like Uncharted you'll probably like this.

These two are not identical, but two different opinions where one is based on reviews/hearsay , the other on actual experiences thus making a transition from believing something to be, into knowing how something is.

Now, if the forum police thinks that only one of the two kinds of posts should be here, then so be it, but I find my views just as valid as everyone elses in this respect.

This is as clear as I am able to convey it in Queens English.

A new one
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: