http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 12:59:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] The Last Of Us  (Read 21367 times)
MonkeyFinger
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2013, 01:16:55 PM »

Anyone play the early demo that the latest GoW games gave access to? I signed on late last night and had a message that it was available and then had to sit through four updates to GoW to get to the menu. After that saw the demo was 132MB and thought WTF? As you've probably guessed that was the demo downloader, launching that started the download of the real demo which counted down the download percent complete to the hundreds of a percent (really?) and told me it would take "10 minutes". It was a long enough 10 minutes that I didn't have time left to actually play the darn thing.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2013, 02:25:20 PM »

Kotaku weighs in:

Yet despite the foundation of overfamiliar zombie junk, the answer to that question is, “Yes, absolutely!” The Last of Us is a rousingly well-made, emotionally grueling work of pop entertainment, and a noteworthy synthesis of game design and character-driven storytelling. It is even, in the end, genuinely surprising.

Fuck me. I wanna play this.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2013, 02:27:26 PM »

I expected all of that, since downloading anything on my PS3 is an epic affair, so I got the ball rolling and went and had lunch.

I played it.  It looks great, but like any game where character is key, it doesn't give enough to capture that.

Exploring was fine, but I really didn't like the combat that much, but I think you're meant to avoid it mostly, so we'll see.

I dropped into the final area too early (meant to explore up above a bit more) and was frustrated I couldn't go back.  The were a bunch of the nasties running around, and I got bitch-smacked several times in a row, growing more and more frustrated.  I finally figured out the stealth-kill path I was meant to take and made it through.  However, some of the bad guy movement seems to be random, so I'm not convinced I wasn't just lucky getting through that last time.

Overall, the demo did not excite me for the game.  However, I fully expect story and character to elevate it in a way that the demo just can't convey, so I'm still waiting on impressions and reviews.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2013, 02:27:51 PM »

Our review is live: http://gamingtrend.com/game_reviews/the-last-of-us/

smile

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2013, 02:35:58 PM »

What? I demand a 101 for this game!

EDIT: Pretty much every major pub has checked in with a 10/10 or 5/5 (even Eurog8mer), then of course Polygon goes with a 7.5/10. (Gamespot gave it 8/10).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 02:41:37 PM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2013, 02:59:35 PM »

Wow, a full ~15 hours, that's not common these days. That's a lot of story to tell.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2013, 04:53:09 PM »

5/5 at Giantbomb.  Was going to cancel my pre-order, but..I guess I won't.
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2013, 05:15:18 PM »

nbcnews gave it 10 / 10. Guess I'm gonna have to dust the ole PS3 off... My RL bro went out and bought a PS3 just for this lol.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2013, 06:06:51 PM »

Polygon 7.5

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2013, 11:07:26 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on June 05, 2013, 06:06:51 PM

Polygon 7.5

This particular review is a major exception to the otherwise gushing reviews.   I mean gushing.   
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2013, 11:44:21 PM »

Getting hung up on review scores amuses me since they have been inflated to the point of meaninglessness.  By all rights a 5 should be average and anything higher than that should be worth a look but few critics use that scale.  Polygon seems to be one of the few reviewers to actually use the whole spectrum.  On their own scale, “Sevens are good games that may even have some great parts”. 

I suppose it mimics real life though; if you ask someone to rate their attractiveness they will say, “I think I’m about average, you know, a 7 or an 8”.  icon_lol
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2013, 12:01:43 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 05, 2013, 11:07:26 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on June 05, 2013, 06:06:51 PM

Polygon 7.5

This particular review is a major exception to the otherwise gushing reviews.   I mean gushing.   

This paragraph from the polygon review is what makes me think I might end up siding with them, as this annoyed the crap out of me in the Uncharted games and unfortunate to hear that it's still a thing they do

More notable problems with The Last of Us manifest as it leans more on the traditional trappings of third-person shooters — fights against waves of enemies or arenas full of waist-high cover where your only recourse is to kill everyone in your way. These sequences sit at odds with the rest of the game. Joel can't take much damage from enemies, which isn't such a big deal when you're sneaking past them without incident. But at increasingly frequent points in the narrative, I had to buckle down and deal with the messy gunplay and repeated checkpoint restarts.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2013, 08:40:18 PM »

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=575205

Edit and WARNING: Apparently there are spoilers in the thread...I was just linking to show the review round up in the first post.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 08:43:00 PM by ATB » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2013, 05:22:11 AM »

Wait, this releases on June 14th, a Friday, instead of the usual Tuesday? I guess they wanted to avoid it getting lost at E3, or their developers being away to support it.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2013, 07:09:20 AM »

Quote from: davidrobots on June 05, 2013, 02:27:51 PM

Thanks for the review!

Would it be fair to say, that this is the same kind of game as Uncharted and Tomb Raider? As in great story, lots of action, but very scripted all the way through?

A new one
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2013, 03:11:09 PM »

I am giving my whole Friday night to this since my wife will be out of town.  Cannot wait and I hope it lives up to the hype!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2013, 02:53:27 PM »

Just found this in my mailbox two days ahead of the official release. smile
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2013, 03:50:17 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 12, 2013, 02:53:27 PM

I thought I hated you before.... slywink.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2013, 06:16:54 PM »

any sales going on besides the lame amazon one?
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2013, 07:47:12 PM »

where did you order from?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2013, 04:00:39 AM »

Got my preorder paid off today at GameStop! Game looks incredible.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2013, 04:05:46 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on June 12, 2013, 07:47:12 PM

He buys all his games from Snarfenlaagen.  They specialize in pickled fish and electronics.  Or is it fish and pickled electronics?    icon_razz

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2013, 04:33:59 AM »

I order my games from a large Norwegian entertainment store that only delivers in Norway. Sorry. Tongue They tend to send out games 2 days in advance of their release to make sure everyone gets them in time (mail typically takes 1-3 days to get delivered in Norway, depending on where you live). Since I live in one of the major cities (not according to US scale it isn't), mail arrives in 1 day. This time they sent the game 3 days in advance. Voila! smile

I haven't actually played it that much yet. Got in about 1 1/2 hours. The way this thing is structured, I'm getting the impression that the game is quite long. The game looks very good, apart from the typical washed-out textures from this console generation.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2013, 04:38:44 AM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on June 13, 2013, 04:05:46 AM

He buys all his games from Snarfenlaagen.  They specialize in pickled fish and electronics.  Or is it fish and pickled electronics?    icon_razz

Ever since the Børkemürker came out, the Snarfenlaagen's just aren't in demand!
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2013, 08:07:36 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 10, 2013, 07:09:20 AM

Thanks for the review!

Would it be fair to say, that this is the same kind of game as Uncharted and Tomb Raider? As in great story, lots of action, but very scripted all the way through?

Well, after seeing Tom's review at Qt3 and reading about the game a few other places, I can tell this is just a carrousel ride and the game itself features very little of what I want. Its a linear shooter with a great story and annoying gamebits. I'd be a lot more interested in gameplay, as in how State of Decay does things, than this. I'm out!

A new one
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2013, 11:31:13 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 13, 2013, 08:07:36 AM

Quote from: Razgon on June 10, 2013, 07:09:20 AM

Thanks for the review!

Well, after seeing Tom's review at Qt3 and reading about the game a few other places, I can tell this is just a carrousel ride and the game itself features very little of what I want. Its a linear shooter with a great story and annoying gamebits. I'd be a lot more interested in gameplay, as in how State of Decay does things, than this. I'm out!

Yeah but you have games like State of Decay for that. There is room for games like these as well, you say it as if it should be something else instead when it shouldn't. Sure its not for you but I dont want them to stop making games like these for those of us that do want them.

I am looking forward to it, sometime i find a nice linear games asier to play and enjoy especially after playing the more open world style games.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2013, 11:40:19 AM »

You need punctuation dammit! I can't read like that ;-)

I really look forward to hearing what you think about it though, but, probably like in the UK games are rather expensive here, around 100 dollars for one new console game, and I'd rather spend my money on a game I know I'll love, than what I've slowly come to realize, isn't for me. And I *think* I wrote this to you somewhere else as well, but I have nothing against the game, its just not what I want. I'd rather play a game where I make the story (Like you say, State of Decay), than play a game where I see someone elses story.

Its the same reason, well one of the major reasons, I really didn't like Tomb Raider.

A new one
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2013, 12:38:30 PM »

Does Tom Chick like anything?  He's like the Mikey of games.

Edit: Not that this is a barometer, but there is not one negative review on metacritic.  Seems like Tommy just likes lavishing himself in contrarian robes.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2013, 01:05:23 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 13, 2013, 12:38:30 PM

Edit: Not that this is a barometer, but there is not one negative review on metacritic.  Seems like Tommy just likes lavishing himself in contrarian robes.

He likes State of Decay, the wonderful Xbox exclusive game :-) (And plenty others as well)

31 5 star reviews at Qt3 so yeah, he likes stuff.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:30:09 PM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2013, 01:25:26 PM »

Tom Chick is a contrarian shill that no one should take seriously, even when he's supporting something you like. Seriously, I read reviews of stuff I like that I know is horrible and still love, yet he touted it as the second coming. The guy knows that being contrarian in the gaming press will get him a crapload of hits based on gamer controversy, so I refuse to look at anything he makes.

That said, I agree with Reemul, there are many different kinds of games, and many ways to cover a subject. There's the wonderful adventure games like Walking Dead, open world like State of Decay or Day Z.

What The Last of Us is, is a character based game, one that emphasizes story, traditional gameplay, but with a heavy dose of gravitas in the way it handles that traditional gameplay. Read the positive reviews from sources you actually trust.

I can't knock anyone for not being interested in the game because it's a bit more traditional experience, but one negative review from a poor writer usually means that game transcends its traditional roots somehow.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2013, 01:28:33 PM »

A new one
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2013, 01:43:44 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 13, 2013, 04:38:44 AM

Quote from: Hrothgar on June 13, 2013, 04:05:46 AM

Ever since the Børkemürker came out, the Snarfenlaagen's just aren't in demand!

It will be enough fish.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2013, 01:46:31 PM »

One thing that helps me, when it comes to wondering whether or not to let a reviewer influence my buying decisions, is to ask myself whether said reviewer and I agree on which games are good. And if so, how many times do we agree vs. disagree? If I find that I agree with a reviewer on a majority of his reviews then I know that my tastes align with him and therefore I should give his reviews more weight.

Because ultimately, besides providing entertainment value, a review is used to determine where I should spend my money. And if the reviewer and I don't agree on most games then he is a poor reference for me to use when deciding what games to buy.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2013, 02:31:51 PM »

Quote from: raydude on June 13, 2013, 01:46:31 PM

One thing that helps me, when it comes to wondering whether or not to let a reviewer influence my buying decisions, is to ask myself whether said reviewer and I agree on which games are good. And if so, how many times do we agree vs. disagree? If I find that I agree with a reviewer on a majority of his reviews then I know that my tastes align with him and therefore I should give his reviews more weight.

Because ultimately, besides providing entertainment value, a review is used to determine where I should spend my money. And if the reviewer and I don't agree on most games then he is a poor reference for me to use when deciding what games to buy.

Yep. Good rule of thumb. I see eye to eye on most of the reviews by Jeff Gerstmann and crew at GB which is why I enjoy that site so much.

That said, I don't know that I've ever used a review to make a buying decision because I usually know what I'm going to like and buy sight unseen.  True, I'll get a general gist of what the press is saying to make sure a turd wasn't snuck into the box, but by and large...
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2013, 03:31:42 PM »

Edit: Not that this is a barometer, but there is not one negative review on metacritic.  Seems like Tommy just likes lavishing himself in contrarian robes.
Is Polygon not on Metacritic, they gave it a 7.5
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2013, 03:53:06 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 13, 2013, 03:31:42 PM

Is Polygon not on Metacritic, they gave it a 7.5
Metacritic removed all the negative reviews for the game. Or rather, all the mediocre reviews, none were really negative.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2013, 04:21:05 PM »

Why did they do that? Is that normal practice?

A new one
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2013, 04:26:40 PM »

Not sure.  There was some bad press going around after it happened.  I believe there were 3-4 reviews in the 70’s range.  It may have been a direct publisher action.  Some game companies basically say, “You can review our game in advance as long as you don’t give it a rating below X”.  Those reviewers may have broken that agreement.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:28:36 PM by Lordnine » Logged
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2013, 04:30:50 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on June 13, 2013, 04:26:40 PM

Not sure.  There was some bad press going around after it happened.  I believe there were 3-4 reviews in the 70’s range.  It may have been a direct publisher action.  Some game companies basically say, “You can review our game in advance as long as you don’t give it a rating below X”.  Those reviewers may have broken that agreement.

Well that is total BS then.

Still, that doesn't impact the score too much. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2013, 04:53:14 PM »

Metacritic has a method where you can pay to have such reviews shunted off the main page for a while.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: