http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 09:16:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] The Last Of Us  (Read 11782 times)
PR_GMR
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2011, 10:26:55 PM »

So details are beginning to leak on the new PS3 exclusive. It'll be called 'The Last Of Us'. And here's an intriguing teaster image. The game will be officially unveiled at tomorrow night's Spike TV Video Game Awards.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 10:32:03 PM »

Let me guess, another zombie game?  Yawn.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 10:52:59 PM »

Is it US or us? Its hard to tell from the newspaper clip.

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 11:09:41 PM »

This is apparently the 'PS3 exclusive you wont believe' that some are saying is being developed by Naughty Dog because people found a reference to the game in Uncharted 3(well,a 'grabbing at straws' reference),in a newspaper headline in the game talking about a deadly fungus..and the 31st October 2012 circled on a calender ...even though its circled as a Monday,and not a Wednesday like it will be next year Roll Eyes

if its as Gratch says yet another Zombie game or even another Apocalypse game then they are right.....i don't believe it

from the Teaser Trailer
"Lying on the couch, watching Sunday football, That greasy smell of a downtown hotdog, 4th of July family Barbecues, the sound of a plane flying overhead, Just one peaceful night, a clean conscience, all gone."

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 11:09:57 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on December 09, 2011, 10:52:59 PM

Is it US or us? Its hard to tell from the newspaper clip.

Don't they usually put US as U.S.?

Quote from: Gratch on December 09, 2011, 10:32:03 PM

Let me guess, another zombie game?  Yawn.

This.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 11:28:07 PM »

Except it looks like it's from Naughty Dog.  

The same newspaper with a different headline hinting at the virus (or whatever) appears in a bar in Uncharted 3.

EDIT:  Linky
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 11:31:06 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 11:39:55 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 09, 2011, 11:28:07 PM

Except it looks like it's from Naughty Dog. 

Preordering.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 03:24:35 AM »

trailer looks great,reminded me a little of the Dead Island Trailer

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 05:39:35 AM »

Unfortunately, after Uncharted 3, I'm not convinced I'll be buying this one.  I want to believe there can be a good, serious zombie game, but I'm not convinced ND are the ones to do it.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 06:20:15 AM »

A game in one of my least favorite genres from one of my favorite developers  confused

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 08:09:31 AM »

It's Naughty Dog, how can it not be awesome? I can see how some people might be worn out on zombies but I've yet to play any of the big name zombie games so I'm still good.  The first half of the video looked like it might have been a video game adaptation of The Road.  I'm all for post-apocalyptic stuff.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 12:53:23 PM »

Looks good. Kind of reminds me of Walking Dead.

There was a comment along the lines of ..

Another zombie game? Boring..

A zombie game from Naughty Dog? IN!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 04:06:59 PM »

Characterizations look interesting as always.

However, shooting small groups of humans has been a bit of a pain in 2 out of 3 Uncharted games.  Shooting large groups of running zombiesis a little daunting.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 05:57:32 PM »

especially as these seem to be more along the lines of the rage "zombies" from 28 days later and not walking dead type.  in that case, I hope the bit in the trailer where she finds a single bullet is a sign of how they want to take the game.  more survival than just a re-skin of uncharted 3's city sections, aka lots of bullets and lots of bad guys to shoot.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 12:21:58 AM »

We'll have to see, but honestly, haven't you guys all wanted a more characterful and serious toned zombie game? So far, very few of those around that aren't also burdened by weird Japanese culture quirks.

Considering it's Naughty Dog, I'm glad to see them branching out from Uncharted so quickly after Uncharted 3.

I'm interested in seeing if they'll make it linear like Uncharted 3, or open up the zones more?

I doubt you'll be firing off hundreds or thousands of bullets like Uncharted, that's just not how they're presenting it.

Also, if you note that U3 got some serious upgrades to its melee fighting system, with a few more upgrades, that could be a very big part of TLOU.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 12:25:36 AM by Turtle » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 12:27:37 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 12, 2011, 12:21:58 AM

Considering it's Naughty Dog, I'm glad to see them branching out from Uncharted so quickly after Uncharted 3.

Because of this it makes me think the B team is making it there.  There's no way they were able to spend much time on it with U3 just having been released and this game being released next year.  That also could explain why there's no gameplay shown. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 02:22:11 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 12, 2011, 12:27:37 AM

Because of this it makes me think the B team is making it there.  There's no way they were able to spend much time on it with U3 just having been released and this game being released next year.  That also could explain why there's no gameplay shown. 

They have a second full team now and Last of US is being headed up by Uncharted 2's game director and UC2's lead designer (neither of which worked on UC3).  Sounds like it's already been in development for almost two years. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 02:33:37 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 12, 2011, 02:22:11 AM

They have a second full team now and Last of US is being headed up by Uncharted 2's game director and UC2's lead designer (neither of which worked on UC3).  Sounds like it's already been in development for almost two years.

Ah did not know. That's good news!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 04:46:32 AM »

The lead designer of the overlooked and underrated Enslaved game is also one of the designers on The Last of Us.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 06:13:32 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on December 12, 2011, 04:46:32 AM

The lead designer of the overlooked and underrated Enslaved game is also one of the designers on The Last of Us.

that explains the setting and why i was so reminded of enslaved during the trailer. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 06:29:42 AM »

i too saw the similarities.  Hopefully this game doesn't make me sick like enslaved did.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 07:14:21 AM »

Seriously. It is naughty dog...I don't see this sucking...
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 11:56:34 AM »

Man, I am so glad we're warm blooded mammals with more active metabolisms and immune systems. It's one of the reasons why we're a bit more resilient to these kinds of infections.

The scenario in this game is one of my nightmares honestly. What scarier is we're seeing significant infection rates from bacterial parasites like Toxoplamsa Gondii, one that does its thing through rats and cats, affecting the behavior of rats significantly (it essentially makes them feel the emotion of love towards the smell of cat urine, instead of fear), and cats in distinct ways as well (male cats become withdrawn and don't clean themselves, female cats become more promiscuous). No telling what it could start doing to us given another few thousand years of evolution.

Because we're the dominant species on the planet, horrific diseases, parasites, fungi, and whatnot will inevitably evolve to affect us through sheer amount of contact and available hosts.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 12:17:04 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 12, 2011, 11:56:34 AM

No telling what it could start doing to us given another few thousand years of evolution.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 01:58:30 PM »

I'm glad Naughty Dog is doing it. Hopefully it doesn't end up like Dead Island where massive trailer hype led to a much less impressive final product.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 07:04:24 PM »

Not Nolan North:

but in happier news, the game's lead voice actors are Troy Baker, who is also voicing the lead character in next year's BioShock Infinite, and Ashley Johnson, who has not had any major gaming roles but did voice work for Ben 10 and Teen Titans cartoons.

Also some info about the game:

http://kotaku.com/5867274/everything-we-know-about-the-last-of-us
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 07:07:50 PM »

Yeah, when I listened to it louder the second time it didn't really sound like him anymore.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 07:09:19 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 12, 2011, 02:33:37 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 12, 2011, 02:22:11 AM

Ah did not know. That's good news!

So the two main project leaders of UC2 are behind this one? That's great! I watched the trailer late last night and thought it had lots of potential. This one's now on my radar for 2012.  thumbsup
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2011, 07:10:38 PM »

Oh wait, Ashley Johnson was the little daughter on Growing Pains. And as many have pointed out, the character looks an awful lot like Juno.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2011, 11:29:47 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 12, 2011, 11:56:34 AM

Man, I am so glad we're warm blooded mammals with more active metabolisms and immune systems. It's one of the reasons why we're a bit more resilient to these kinds of infections.

The scenario in this game is one of my nightmares honestly. What scarier is we're seeing significant infection rates from bacterial parasites like Toxoplamsa Gondii, one that does its thing through rats and cats, affecting the behavior of rats significantly (it essentially makes them feel the emotion of love towards the smell of cat urine, instead of fear), and cats in distinct ways as well (male cats become withdrawn and don't clean themselves, female cats become more promiscuous). No telling what it could start doing to us given another few thousand years of evolution.

Because we're the dominant species on the planet, horrific diseases, parasites, fungi, and whatnot will inevitably evolve to affect us through sheer amount of contact and available hosts.

Toxoplasma is nothing....

http://www.livescience.com/14064-zombie-ant-fungus-parasite.html

morlac00 on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2011, 04:59:25 AM »

Yeah, but toxiplasma is one of the parasites with confirmed mind altering effects that can infect human brains. There are confirmed cases of toxiplasma infections in humans, quite a few in fact.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2011, 10:47:55 PM »

Eurogamer article on The Last of Us

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-13-naughty-dog-wants-to-change-the-f-ing-industry-with-the-last-of-us

So what is The Last of Us about? "This is going to sound corny, and it might not appeal to gamers, but I would say it's a love story," said Druckmann. "It's not a romantic love story, it's a love story about a father-daughter-like relationship.

Game director Bruce Straley, who held the same role on Uncharted 2, added: "It's not just a zombie game. It's going to be a completely amazing experience that no player has experienced for this genre, the characters, the development, everything."
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 10:49:39 PM by leo8877 » Logged
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 03:16:17 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 13, 2011, 10:47:55 PM

Eurogamer article on The Last of Us

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-13-naughty-dog-wants-to-change-the-f-ing-industry-with-the-last-of-us

So what is The Last of Us about? "This is going to sound corny, and it might not appeal to gamers, but I would say it's a love story," said Druckmann. "It's not a romantic love story, it's a love story about a father-daughter-like relationship.

Game director Bruce Straley, who held the same role on Uncharted 2, added: "It's not just a zombie game. It's going to be a completely amazing experience that no player has experienced for this genre, the characters, the development, everything."

That sounds fascinating. If Naughty Dog does for the zombie game genre what they did for the action-adventure game genre with the 'Uncharted' games, this game will be impressive. Their emphasis on cinematic storytelling will put this game several notches above the rest.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 09:29:56 PM »

Quote from: spigot on December 12, 2011, 01:58:30 PM

I'm glad Naughty Dog is doing it. Hopefully it ends up like Dead Island where massive trailer hype led to an almost equally impressive game.

FTFY

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2011, 01:08:19 AM »

Some neat concept art pics in this article

http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2011/12/14/the-last-of-us-concept-art-shows-potential-gameplay/#
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2012, 07:10:37 AM »

There's a new cutscene video available here.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2012, 01:46:33 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on May 16, 2012, 07:10:37 AM

There's a new cutscene video available here.

Looks good!
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2012, 03:56:12 AM »

I have to say, this is looking good so far.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2012, 07:06:39 PM »

I'm really excited for this game!

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2012, 03:24:16 AM »

The E3 demo at the Sony Press Conference was brutal, but fantastic.

What got me the most, though, was recognizing the bridge in the background.  It takes place in Pittsburgh!!  I'll be crushing skulls in the ol' hometown.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: