http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 11:58:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] Sony points the gun at its own head yet again?  (Read 1304 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2006, 07:58:56 PM »

I heard rumors of this before a few months ago, but it looks like news is making the rounds again.

Sony is becoming more and more like the Star Wars kid everyday...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 08:04:12 PM »

I'm not suprised.  Why should the console manufacturers allow a major second hand market if PC game makers don't have to?

That said, it will be an advantage to Microsoft if it happens.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 08:23:41 PM »

I still think this is basic FUD....

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 08:35:01 PM »

Wow Sony just seems to be working hard to alienate their customer base.  I wonder if they've been replaced by pod people?
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 08:41:57 PM »

if this is true I will not get a PS3, and if they use some electronic registration thing to make it so you cant use your games on other PS3's like I heard in the past then I will never touch a PS3 and they can settle into 3rd place in the next gen. Sony is trying very hard to completely screw this generation up.

If I buy a game it is mine, screw this I just bought a license crap.

If this is true then finger  Sony
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 09:18:12 PM »

Sony's not the only company who wants this, they all do, Nintendo tried to get a bill passed in Japan that outlawed reselling of games. Sony may just be the only company ballsy enough right now to do it.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 09:37:36 PM »

I won't buy a PS3 if Sony does this. Not at any point during the console's life.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 09:49:16 PM »

I'll believe this when Sony announces it as a 'feature'.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 10:05:37 PM »

Suicide.

I don't like the way EB/Gamestop tries to force pre-owned (holy markup, Batman!) titles on you, but I like the choice.  Especially looking for older games like Freedom Fighters.

Like Tebunker said, this would be a boon to the bottom line of both publishers and license holders.  No way I could swallow this along with $60 games.  If games were all $20 I'd probably be okay with it, but there's just too much overhyped crap out there these days.

All that said, I can't imagine this happening.  It's insanity.  EB/Gamestop would be screwed.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 10:26:16 PM »

I wonder how much the of EB/Gamestop's bottom line comes from pre played sales. I bet it's a large chunk.  I wonder what the impacts of this will be from that perspective.

If this goes into effect, this is a huge downer and if I should some day own a PS3 I will have to be helluva careful about any game I buy if I'm gonna own it forever.

However, Sony hasn't been shy about their over the top IP protection schemes.  Let's see if this backfires.  I bet jonny consumer won't care, however, now you have alienated both ends of the gaming spectrum:

Casual gamers with the price
Hobbyists with this copy protection.

I wonder who their audience is....?
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 10:28:44 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
I wonder who their audience is....?

I think it is people who don't play games and just want a cheap Blu-Ray player.

It isn't just Gamestop that will be screwed by this. Blockbuster, Gamefly, Hollywood video, they'd be screwed.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 10:29:14 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Suicide.

I don't like the way EB/Gamestop tries to force pre-owned (holy markup, Batman!) titles on you, but I like the choice.  Especially looking for older games like Freedom Fighters.

All that said, I can't imagine this happening.  It's insanity.  EB/Gamestop would be screwed.

Yes they would and that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. I went into EB the other day and they had a new copy of Black for $40. Right down the same wall they had a used copy for sale for only $35. Uh, no.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 10:49:36 PM »

Isn't Best Buy trying to get into the pre-owned market as well?
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2006, 10:51:50 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
I wonder how much the of EB/Gamestop's bottom line comes from pre played sales. I bet it's a large chunk.  I wonder what the impacts of this will be from that perspective.

They'd be pretty much finished, at least as we know them now.  To be honest even if Sony doesn't go this rumored route I suspect GameStop/EB is going to have to reinvent themselves anyway.  As gaming gets bigger the publishers don't have to rely on the specialty retailers as much and can focus on supporting new only retailers.  Why do you think the 360 shortage happened the way it did?  Why did MS shift major product to other retailers when there were thousands of guaranteed customers waiting at GameStop & EB?  The answer is because the major publishers have already decided it's time to do something about the lucrative used market.

I'm suprised at some of the hatred towards Sony.  This kind of thing has been true in PC gaming for some time and anyone can tell you all it does is make it a little less convenient to get rid of your used games.  It also promotes independents and small chains because they are the ones who can sell used software without much, if any, problem.

- American Dad
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2006, 10:54:58 PM »

Quote from: "godhugh"
Isn't Best Buy trying to get into the pre-owned market as well?

They tested it in some markets but it hasn't been rolled out.  Either they discovered it's not as valuable as they hoped or they've been convinced by the major publishers that not to go that route.  I don't think it's coincidental that Best Buy ended up as MS' "preferred retail partner" on the 360 despite representing only 15% of the US market.

- American Dad
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006, 11:04:01 PM »

I'm with Scott: this rumor surfaced last year with no credible backing, and Games radar provides no retail chains names with this rumor.  I'll believe it when I see it.  Not that I don't think Sony is above doing this (rootkits, anyone?), it just seems like a policy decision like this wouldn't be made a week after E3.

If this *IS* true, however, I'm done.  You'll notice, I never said I wasn't going to buy a PS3, just that I couldn't afford $600.  If they kill used games?  Yep.  I'm done buying.   No F*#$$& way.  And I will spit on any of you who do buy a PS3 if this is true.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006, 11:30:34 PM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"
I'm with Scott: this rumor surfaced last year with no credible backing, and Games radar provides no retail chains names with this rumor.  I'll believe it when I see it.  Not that I don't think Sony is above doing this (rootkits, anyone?), it just seems like a policy decision like this wouldn't be made a week after E3.

If this *IS* true, however, I'm done.  You'll notice, I never said I wasn't going to buy a PS3, just that I couldn't afford $600.  If they kill used games?  Yep.  I'm done buying.   No F*#$$& way.  And I will spit on any of you who do buy a PS3 if this is true.

I too will spit.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2006, 11:48:26 PM »

Quote from: "Eduardo X"

I too will spit.

I will neither spit nor swallow.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2006, 11:57:55 PM »

This would also pretty much cancel out the possibility of renting any PS3 games. No way in hell Sony would do something like that. If they do, screw them.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2006, 12:05:59 AM »

Quote from: "Eduardo X"

I too will spit.

I'll just kick you and call it a day.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2006, 01:01:16 AM »

Bill Harris might be right.  Sony could very well be #3 this generation.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2006, 01:01:20 AM »

I've become an advocate of the elimination of used games. Developers and publishers deserve the money for their work and effort. Besides, even new games eventually drop to very reasonable prices.

Either eliminate them, or have EB/Gamestop pay a fee to the various publishers for selling used games. My friend recently traded in the PSP title Kingdom of Heaven at Gamestop. He received $8 in credit. The next day it was on the shelf for $30. I won't shed a tear if EB is forced to give a percentage of that profit to the creators and publishers of the games.

Bill Harris might be right. Sony could very well be #3 this generation.  

There is absolutely no chance that Sony will end up #3 in this generation. (Well, perhaps if all of their manufacturing plants spontaneously combust)
Sony will remain king. They haven't forgotten that outside developers are the key to success. They also have a very strong internal development arsenal, one that outclasses MS at almost every turn.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2006, 03:41:42 AM »

my personal belief is that the publishers themselves should create certified used games. You trade your game back into the publisher for future credit on their titles or for credit with an affiliated retailer and that publisher checks out the game, makes sure it has a decent case and manual and puts their stamp on it and resells it to the retailer who can knowingly sell you a good, working copy of a used game where you can feel comfortable buying it. That way publishers, can give the developers a little kickback on the resell market.

Sony will remain king. They haven't forgotten that outside developers are the key to success. They also have a very strong internal development arsenal, one that outclasses MS at almost every turn.

And No One thought Nintendo would fall as hard as they have after the NES, Gameboy and SNES successes. When your king it's inevitable that you'll be knocked off your throne.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2006, 06:11:44 AM »

According to this, Sony Europe has said that the rumor is false.

I would like to clarify that this is false speculation and that PlayStation 3 software will not be copy protected to a single machine but will be playable on any PlayStation 3 console.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2006, 06:24:51 AM »

This keeps coming up because it is POSSIBLE to do on the chip level - it is a similar thing to the tracking that was POSSIBLE on the Pentium 4.  It was never used on the P4 and I doubt that it'll be used here.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2006, 09:29:04 AM »

maybe they will make more money with people not being able to buy pre-owned......but they will also lose the customers who wont take the chance on a game they dont know,if they know they cant sell it afterwards

just think if you buy that average game now.....its for life!!...many people will be having second thoughts about it and just buy the titles that they know ...eg.metal gears...final fantasies(ok...so thats just me)

but third party games.....well lets ask
you own a playstation 3 and a 360...a game comes out for both...at the same price(guessing)...which would you buy it for?

ps3-be preparred to be disapointed..and if so have to throw it in a drawer never to look upon it again

360-be preparred to be disapointed...and if so part exchange it towards a title you may enjoy

i wonder what nintendos take on all this will be...they could jump sony on this if they were wise...me thinks

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: