http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 07:41:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] Sony's Online Plan... Revealed!  (Read 1565 times)
Mattc0m
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« on: September 12, 2006, 05:49:24 PM »

http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=6974

In an unexpected move, Sony will be using Xfire as their online platform in the upcoming Playstation 3. Xfire has been a leader in the PC market, and their experience and popularity will be a boost to Sony's online strategy for the PS3. Though details are still vague at the moment, speculation is running rampant, as Xfire incorporates a lot of the features as Xbox Live does, and offers a few unique features as well. Also, being a PC program, this could also compete with Microsoft's "Live Anywhere" service.     

1up has the Full Story
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3153547

Pretty interesting, if I do say so myself! I use Xfire quite a bit, and never thought I'd be seeing it in the PS3. Maybe their online service won't bomb like I was previously lead to believe.  :icon_eek:

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 05:52:45 PM »

I never installed Xfire onto my PC, but if Sony can still make it free than I say more power to them. As always the proof is in the pudding

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 05:59:50 PM »

Excellent.  Xfire is pretty nice as it can show me what people are playing.  I hope I can keep using my original Xfire name on the PS3.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 06:09:52 PM »

Xfire is great for friends lists, but it's not much more than a glorified IM.  It's only a piece of the puzzle if Sony really intends to compete with Live.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 06:10:57 PM »

The fail is just accumulating exponentially at this point.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 06:25:16 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on September 12, 2006, 06:10:57 PM

The fail is just accumulating exponentially at this point.

Heh.

I asked a friend of mine who programs for a console game developer if he thinks the PS3 is setting up to be as big a debacle for Sony as we're all saying it will be on the boards.

His answer was a simple yes.

He's also commented in the past that the people working on PS3 games at his studio absolutely hate programming for the console.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 06:26:07 PM »

Quote from: Laner on September 12, 2006, 06:09:52 PM

Xfire is great for friends lists, but it's not much more than a glorified IM.  It's only a piece of the puzzle if Sony really intends to compete with Live.

I agree. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 06:56:43 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on September 12, 2006, 06:26:07 PM

Quote from: Laner on September 12, 2006, 06:09:52 PM

I agree. 

I seriously doubt that they will simply make a PS3 port of the PC software.  I'm guessing they will use the current Xfire as a base and add features to it for the PS3.  It's a heck of a lot better than going with Gamespy.

With all the crap Sony's f'ing up this fall - this seems like a good move for them so I'll give them one point in the Positive category.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 07:12:20 PM »

i downloaded xfire once for COD ,and all i got were bugs crybaby

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 07:21:18 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 12, 2006, 07:12:20 PM

Agreed, I used xfire for about a week and had nothing but problems with it.  Not that that is an indication of what the PS3 implementation will be like, but then who knows.  Until the system actually comes out and has a few million people online at a time for us to really see the abilities it is too soon to pass judgement.  That said, I don't have very high hopes for it.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 07:28:09 PM »

Hmm, by them saying that they signed a deal and testing is underway I really hope that's old internal news.  If they're supposed to launch in 2 months and they're still figuring out their online services... :icon_confused:  I will certainly be waiting a long time before I consider picking up a PS3.
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 07:47:39 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on September 12, 2006, 07:28:09 PM

I will certainly be waiting a long time before I consider picking up a PS3.

I agree!  This is the first console that I have not wanted day 1.  I will definately be waiting to see reviews.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 04:35:07 AM »

You might want to check the 1UP story again.

UPDATE II: Sony Computer Entertainment America responded to the below report with the following statement: "We can confirm that Sonly Online Entertainment is in talks with Viacom and Xfire for a single, specific PS3 game. However, there are no announcements at this time regarding any discussions between SCEA, Viacom and Xfire."

It is odd that there are no announcements regarding discussions between the three companies, especially since Viacom essentially announced that Xfire was creating a version of its software for use in the PS3 in its Q2 financial report.

UPDATE: Sony Online Entertainment's Chris Kramer spoke with 1UP regarding the incorporation of Xfire into Sony's online plans for the PS3 and the integration with Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom. Kramer is responding to the Viacom Q2 earnings report transcript which read, "Importantly, Xfire just signed a deal with Sony to create a version of their platform for the new PS3, which will now enable Xfire to extend its reach further into the huge console gaming market."

On behalf of Sony Online Entertainment, Kramer attempts to clarify the earnings report's statement: "SOE has been in talks with Xfire about potentially including some of their technology in Untold Legends Dark Kingdom, our PlayStation 3 launch title. This proposed deal is completely separate and independent from the PlayStation Network Platform, and is something that SOE was examining specifically for Dark Kingdom. More information on Xfire and Dark Kingdom will be coming soon."

"We're in talks with those guys [Xfire] about implementing the technology, but cannot discuss how we'd be implementing the technology."

Mike Cassidy, CEO of Xfire spoke with 1UP to clarify the company's position on our report and the Viacom Q2 statements: "Xfire is not part of the PlayStation Network Platform. We are in discussions with Sony Online Entertainment, but I cannot comment any further."
So it sounds like it might only be with one specific game.  It doesn't mean that other games won't follow, but Xfire isn't the PS3 answer to Xbox Live.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 04:39:58 AM »

Quote from: Zimix on September 12, 2006, 07:47:39 PM

Quote from: Jancelot on September 12, 2006, 07:28:09 PM

I will certainly be waiting a long time before I consider picking up a PS3.

I agree!  This is the first console that I have not wanted day 1.  I will definately be waiting to see reviews.

I waited a year to pick up a PS2.  Bouncer, Fantavision, Kessen, and most other titles just didn't make me want to justify the cash. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 04:47:28 AM »

Seconding the if it's free that's a plus.. up until now they've been saying it was up to the developers to do their own online thing and basic online gaming would be free.. guess we'll just have to wait and see.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006, 05:05:30 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on September 13, 2006, 04:47:28 AM

Seconding the if it's free that's a plus.. up until now they've been saying it was up to the developers to do their own online thing and basic online gaming would be free.. guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I have no problem paying for a quality product.  I'd rather have the features, security, and functionality of Live and pay for it than have some cobbled together mess. I'm not saying the PS3's online service will be that, but I'm saying that it isn't a huge advantage - moreso when you spend 700+ dollars to get that 'free' service in the first place.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 02:10:19 PM »

Quote from: Graham on September 13, 2006, 04:35:07 AM

So it sounds like it might only be with one specific game.  It doesn't mean that other games won't follow, but Xfire isn't the PS3 answer to Xbox Live.

That is really interesting... what use is Xfire in one specific game? Curious.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2006, 02:16:35 PM »

I'm inclined to think that their online network isn't ready to go and this is a crutch for them.  Developers need time to code for and test on specific network specs.  Besides, I would be surprised if they launched with a fully featured network.  MS had a good amount of time to iron out the foundation for Live with the original X-Box before launching the 360's version.  Then again, they might just push it out the door and work out the issues after launch.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2006, 02:18:56 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on September 13, 2006, 02:16:35 PM

MS had a good amount of time to iron out the foundation for Live with the original X-Box before launching the 360's version. 

Plus, Live didn't ship until a year after Xbox had been on the market.  Still, I'm not sure that Sony can really afford that kind of delay in implementing their network. 
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2006, 02:51:39 PM »

Quote from: Mattc0m on September 13, 2006, 02:10:19 PM

Quote from: Graham on September 13, 2006, 04:35:07 AM

That is really interesting... what use is Xfire in one specific game? Curious.

I was thinking the same thing.  Isn't Xfire's usefullness that it tells you what other games your friends are playing sort of like Life Awareness? 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2006, 02:53:25 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on September 12, 2006, 07:21:18 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 12, 2006, 07:12:20 PM

Agreed, I used xfire for about a week and had nothing but problems with it.  Not that that is an indication of what the PS3 implementation will be like, but then who knows.  Until the system actually comes out and has a few million people online at a time for us to really see the abilities it is too soon to pass judgement.  That said, I don't have very high hopes for it.

a few million? you mean only 500k. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2006, 02:55:40 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 13, 2006, 02:18:56 PM

Quote from: Jancelot on September 13, 2006, 02:16:35 PM

MS had a good amount of time to iron out the foundation for Live with the original X-Box before launching the 360's version. 

Plus, Live didn't ship until a year after Xbox had been on the market.  Still, I'm not sure that Sony can really afford that kind of delay in implementing their network. 

Live on Xbox1 wasn't integrated right from the get-go, which is why the 360 service stands head-and-shoulders above it. If Sony is building this peacemeal or planning addons later, they may find that their limitation is due to what they shipped out the door on day 1.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2006, 03:05:46 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 13, 2006, 02:55:40 PM

Live on Xbox1 wasn't integrated right from the get-go, which is why the 360 service stands head-and-shoulders above it. If Sony is building this peacemeal or planning addons later, they may find that their limitation is due to what they shipped out the door on day 1.

Actually, this is something I've never understood- why couldn't a lot of of the 360 Live functionality have been used to work on the original Xbox?  What was to stop them from shipping a Live disc that installs to the HDD and offers the same functions?  Considering the front end and abilities of XBMC, I'm not sure what's so unique about the 360 hardware that would prohibit almost the same functionality with Xbox 1. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2006, 06:11:52 PM »

I think it has less to do with hardware, and more to do with the entire infrastructure. Even though the 360 has it's X logo button, when you go into a BC game it disconnects you and reconnects you via the net code ingame.

Maybe Kathode could answer this better. XBMC is a hacked app and as such is unconcerned  about compromising the security of the console (whereas the Live service is protected at the console level, IIRC). MS wouldn't just drop XBOX1 XP OS on a DVD and distribute it to the masses; reverse engineering would likely be a concern.

In short, I don't know. I *DO* know that I am quite capable of grasping at straws and taking shots in the dark though. biggrin

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2006, 06:16:14 PM »

I used Xfire for a few months then uninstalled it, I really didn't find too much use for it.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2006, 06:23:19 PM »

Well there's the obvious reason of only having those enticing features on the newest console that they want you to buy.  I guess they could've transferred them over, but with all of the new hardware it probably would've required more work than just a Dashboard update, no?  I would think it would be considerably more difficult than a font patch.   :slywink:
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2006, 06:30:27 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on September 13, 2006, 06:23:19 PM

Well there's the obvious reason of only having those enticing features on the newest console that they want you to buy.  I guess they could've transferred them over, but with all of the new hardware it probably would've required more work than just a Dashboard update, no?  I would think it would be considerably more difficult than a font patch.   :slywink:

Well, sure that's obvious.  From a business standpoint I understand exactly why they reserved such functionality for the 360.  I'm just wondering if it really wasn't technically feasible without being designed in lockstep with the hardware and if Sony and Nintendo not having their online infrastructure in place on Day One compromises their ability on a technical level to patch it in at a later date.  Purge's points about OS security sound pretty on point though. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: