http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 04:21:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] Rumbling controller confirmed  (Read 1296 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: September 19, 2007, 06:03:55 PM »

So, I guess this 'last gen' technology is finally coming to the PS3:

Big shocker at today's Electronic Arts pre Tokyo Game Show press event. While playing a demo of Burnout Paradise, we felt something that we never thought we'd feel from a PS3 controller -- shake!

That's right, Burnout Paradise is the first rumble-equipped PS3 game we've ever played. Which made us think at the time, if the game is making the controller shake, the controller must be a new version of the Sixaxis!

In fact, the controller we were using to play the demo looked exactly like a standard Sixaxis, except that it had a sticker on the bottom that said "RUMBLE." It also felt notably heavier than the standard Sixaxis.

About time. Glad I never bought a second controller for my PS3. I just hope it works with PS2 games properly.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 09:45:33 PM »

One less barrier to me getting a PS3.  Now just need more games and a lower price.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 11:59:58 PM »

About time, now we have to waste more money for stuff Sony forgot the first time.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 12:44:43 AM »

It's been confirmed that firmware 2.0 will re-enable force feedback in older games.

One thing though, I was hoping for them to use the touchsense tech, but it doesn't look like they are.  However, the final dual shock 3 design hasn't been shown yet, so there's still hope for a more advanced kind of rumble, something to justify the prior omission of it.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 01:28:09 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 20, 2007, 12:44:43 AM

something to justify the prior omission of it.

You mean the whole 'we're suing/being sued by the guys who own the patent and we couldn't use it for the PS3' reasoning?

And on a (funny?) sidenote - doesn't Microsoft own part of the company that holds the patent to rumble tech?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 01:49:18 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 20, 2007, 01:28:09 AM

And on a (funny?) sidenote - doesn't Microsoft own part of the company that holds the patent to rumble tech?

Yep- it was part of their deal to get out of the same lawsuit Sony got slapped with. 
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 03:04:55 AM »

The stupid part is there is a region delay.  Japan to get it in November and U.S. and Europe to get it in Spring 2008.  I have wanted a second controller for my PS3 for a long time, but I refuse to buy one knowing that rumble was coming.  Now I have to wait until Spring.  Why?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 04:02:25 AM »

Yeah, it makes no sense.  However I'm almost certain that Japanese controllers will work here so I'm just going to import as soon as they are available. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 04:21:10 PM »

i was really hoping they would redesign the triggers on the sixaxis,as there is nothing stopping your finger from slipping off the trigger...i have already reallocated my fire button to R1 on fall of man...with the 360 controller,there is a slight slant to the triggers,so your fingers can sit there comfortably...but not on the sixaxis,or from the picture,not with the dual shock 3 icon_frown

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 06:16:15 PM »

Part of me hopes that was just a prototype shown, and that they'll actually have a better redesigned controller with the touchsense technology to give them a leg up over the 360.

But I know it's not true.

I've got most of my FPS games on the Killzone control config.  R1 is now the shoot button simply because I don't need pressure sensitivity on a binary trigger.  The trigger is then my secondary fire, leaving the left shoulder buttons for more functions.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 06:20:15 PM »

I was hoping they would offset the analog sticks, which they are now about 5 years behind on, and fix the awful mounting of the rear trigger. Man, if there is any one thing about my PS3 I actively dislike, its the peice of shit Sixaxis.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 07:03:26 PM »

The thing is, we all know they did experiment with different controller designs via developer comments, and the fact that the force unleashed webside had a prototype offset controller design on it.

So, that does give me some hope that they've got something planned, but seeing how this dual shock 3 is being shown rather plainly, it's not much hope.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 07:10:20 PM »

i'll just be glad to have a controller with some weight to it.  the current one feels cheaply light.  i would love to be able to use the 360 controller with it instead.  anyone know if the ms pc wireless controller adapter could be made to work with the ps3?  that would be much better i think.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 08:16:34 AM »

Just a small update, it seems that the previous statement that it's the same rumble isn't quite true according to developers posting about working with it.

Although there's no confirmation on whether it's a fully localized rumble, with both front and back rumble as well as left and right, the devs are saying how the implementation of it is so much better than dual shock 2.  Once again, not sure about the hardware, but developers have better control, and they can use it for much more subtle rumbles, to subwoofer level rumbles.

So, we'll have to wait and see.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 10:09:19 AM »

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 01:44:42 PM »

Tebunker - beat me to it. biggrin

Wolves
Gaming Trend Reader

DAMMIT!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 06:09:08 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 20, 2007, 04:21:10 PM

i was really hoping they would redesign the triggers on the sixaxis,as there is nothing stopping your finger from slipping off the trigger...i have already reallocated my fire button to R1 on fall of man...with the 360 controller,there is a slight slant to the triggers,so your fingers can sit there comfortably...but not on the sixaxis,or from the picture,not with the dual shock 3 icon_frown

Hmmm.....we can always hope that Madcatz comes out with a third party controller that's alot more comfortable than the one that comes with the system. Afterall, they did it with X-Box 1 and I ended up buying 3 of those controllers from them...which were also $10-$15 cheaper than the MS ones.

Madcatz is still around, right?

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 06:44:52 PM »

Bravo Penny Arcade.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2007, 10:04:38 PM »

Madcatz is still around, right?

They must be. They send me a email ad every couple weeks.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 12:30:18 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 24, 2007, 01:44:42 PM

Tebunker - beat me to it. biggrin

me too.  he thought like me before I could think like me.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: