http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 03:27:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] Resistance Fall of Man  (Read 3083 times)
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2008, 06:00:47 PM »

I just picked up Resistance today, used, and there was no game manual included. So I have a few questions:

* How do you heal?

* Is there a cover system?

* anything else I should know?

* Is there a PDF manual out in the wild anywhere?

The first thing I noticed was how great the sound was in the game. I just saw a video on PS.com where the Insomniac guys said they put great emphasis into the audio quality, and it definitely shows.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 06:17:15 PM »

Once you complete the first level, you'll be able to heal using the little yellow tubes laying around. Each tube heals you for a quarter of your health.

You'll also regen health (ala Halo), but only up to the nearest 'quarter health' marker.

No cover system.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 06:19:58 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on September 13, 2008, 06:00:47 PM

I just picked up Resistance today, used, and there was no game manual included. So I have a few questions:

* How do you heal?

* Is there a cover system?

* anything else I should know?

* Is there a PDF manual out in the wild anywhere?

The first thing I noticed was how great the sound was in the game. I just saw a video on PS.com where the Insomniac guys said they put great emphasis into the audio quality, and it definitely shows.

You heal by hiding.  However, you can only heal to the top of whatever section your health bar is in.  It's broken up into 1/4 sections.  Once you go past one of those sections, you can only auto-regen to the top of that section.  To fill empty sections, you need to pick up the glowing yellow vials on the ground.

You can go into cover by holding the left trigger (L2 = crouch) or just slipping behind a wall.

The main trick is to keep the health system in mind.  Pop out and into cover frequently, or you will drain everything and it becomes much harder to survive.  Also, don't wait to use health.  If you're down a section and you see a vial, use it.  No sense in holding off.  It's different than most other shooters and requires a slight brain shift, but it's slightly more strategic and interesting.

Also, the weapons get interesting and there are definitely right ones for a given job or based on what ammo is handy.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 06:43:49 PM »

Thanks a ton for the info, guys. Now off I go, back at it!
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 07:06:27 PM »

Ok, I guess I don't understand the health system. Here's the deal so far: I'm the first section, where you first go into a house, and up to the 2nd story.

My health bar:

Full: ======]======]======]======]
me:  ======]===

I'm alone, and "hiding" (not under fire) and nothing's happening, it's not auto-healing up to the end of the 2nd section.

madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 07:54:47 PM »

Early game spoiler warning:

Spoiler for Hiden:
After you get infected with the Chimeran virus, you'll be able to regenerate health and use the little yellow vials.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 08:50:31 PM »

Quote from: madpeon on September 13, 2008, 07:54:47 PM

Early game spoiler warning:

Spoiler for Hiden:
After you get infected with the Chimeran virus, you'll be able to regenerate health and use the little yellow vials.

Thanks madpeon, that's what i needed to know.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 10:46:58 PM »

GameSpot has one of their Game Guides for RFoM here: http://www.gamespot.com/features/6161932/p-2.html

IGN has one as well: http://guides.ign.com/guides/748483/

Plus, from what I remember, there's plenty of 'in game' documentation available.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 12:43:16 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on September 13, 2008, 10:46:58 PM

Plus, from what I remember, there's plenty of 'in game' documentation available.

Ahh, I hadn't seen the in-game stuff. It's under "Documents" I think. That helps. Thanks for the links as well. Great game so far!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 03:25:44 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on September 14, 2008, 12:43:16 PM

Ahh, I hadn't seen the in-game stuff. It's under "Documents" I think. That helps. Thanks for the links as well. Great game so far!

iirc, some if it is simple stuff like weapons you get, but the good stuff is actual folders you find...kind of hidden around levels.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 04:45:53 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 14, 2008, 03:25:44 PM

Quote from: Jeff Jones on September 14, 2008, 12:43:16 PM

iirc, some if it is simple stuff like weapons you get, but the good stuff is actual folders you find...kind of hidden around levels.

Right, there's "Intelligence" hidden around the various levels you need to find.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
howie549
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 06:36:41 PM »

I've been playing through this game too. I am really enjoying it. Great design and the level of challenge is perfect. It's been hard at times, but never ridiculous.

Really looking forward to the sequel now.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 10:09:31 PM »

Quote from: howie549 on September 14, 2008, 06:36:41 PM

I've been playing through this game too. I am really enjoying it. Great design and the level of challenge is perfect. It's been hard at times, but never ridiculous.

Really looking forward to the sequel now.

Yep, playing RFOM 1 has put Resistance 2 on my to-buy list as well. This is going to be one hell of a fall gaming season!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 10:31:19 PM »

I'm seriously waiting for R2's 8 player co-op mode.  I've seen some leaked beta videos of how crazy the co-op is.  With 5+ players up to 8 there's a lot of chimera running around and so much gunfire, even in an online co-op game, so the battles are really intense.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 04:32:29 PM »

I rented this last night and thus far it has me hook line and sinker.

At first I was meh.  Then the story sort of started to take shape. I'm dying to figure out who this Nathan Hale guy is and why he's still walking around. 

Also, as I've adapted the the PS3 controller, I'm finding the weapons to be quite enjoyable.

Can't wait to play it some more tonight.  So far it's excellent!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 04:41:38 PM »

I'm playing through this for my second time right now with the 360 in the shop.  Great game and great story, especially for a launch title.  I can't wait to see what they'll be able to do with R2.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 05:07:56 PM »

Yeah, it's slow to get going but the weapons are fun to use.  I don't like the narrative style of the storytelling, so it's good to see they fixed that in R2.

When you finish it, stay after the credits, there's a scene that leads directly into Resistance 2.

Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 06:14:42 PM »

Funny, I just finished this game this week.  I found the starting to be absolutely horrid.  Really, setting you up with no way to heal, and an assault rifle that has an insane amount of 'spread' at distance (and a firefight right out of the gate that hammers home how iffy your assault rifle is at distance) is just a terrible way to get people into your game.  I switched to easy difficulty and just blew through the game.  I kinda felt it was good, but not groundbreaking. (For comparison, I've been replaying my way through HL2 + episodes right now).  Most of the game has a 'been there, done that' feel.  Some of the weapons are kinda cool, though, but i don't understand why you only get some of them once you've beaten the game once.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 08:28:20 PM »

I think the Carbine gets more accurate if you zoom in.  One thing they did that was odd for the time was that all weapons are 100% accurate regardless of how you were moving, much like older games like Quake or Doom.  That's been changed in R2 though.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 10:57:31 PM »

It's my understanding that rumble support was added after release, however, I'm getting no rumbling on my ds3. Tips?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 11:26:06 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 08, 2008, 10:57:31 PM

It's my understanding that rumble support was added after release, however, I'm getting no rumbling on my ds3. Tips?

Yeah, this confused me too.  You need to download the multiplayer patches (somewhere through the multiplayer interface IIRC).  Rumble support is included in there. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 02:05:24 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 08, 2008, 11:26:06 PM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 08, 2008, 10:57:31 PM

Yeah, this confused me too.  You need to download the multiplayer patches (somewhere through the multiplayer interface IIRC).  Rumble support is included in there. 

Thank you sir.

I'm a little less than half way through the game and I am absolutely loving it.  It's a perfect blend of action and story with neat and interesting weapons spread out appropriately so that you get to use them all for a while before getting a new one.

Also, the boys who make COD4/5 could take a lesson here on how to do large scale battles and squad ai.  The boys at insomniac have done a wonderful job.  Large scale battles are always what seems missing in FPS games and this one has them in abundance.  It's great so far.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 03:18:33 AM »

I hope for R2 if there's an update it auto downloads.  I got shafted on half the game with no rumble the same way.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008, 04:39:01 AM »

Just finished Resistance tonight.  Really great.  Man, the difficulty ramps up like crazy on the last few sections.  My biggest complaint is that you get the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Bullseye Mark II
right at the start of the last segment, but you also don't see
Spoiler for Hiden:
the standard bad guys any more -
so
Spoiler for Hiden:
the improved weapon doesn't feel improved at all. It actually feels worse.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to R2 now.  I just hope there's more WWII stuff.  That's one of the main things that made the game different than a lot of shooters.  By the end, a lot of that was getting lost.  I've seen a lot of pics of Hale in an alien setting.  I'll be bummed if there's nothing or very little on WWII earth.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 01:28:25 AM »

Finished the game tonight and agree with Bullwinkle about the end stages.

In a game that's pretty atypical I'm glad the game didn't end with the

Spoiler for Hiden:
typical major boss battle. I thought blowing up the spire was a great climax.  Can't wait for R2.  2 WEEKS!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 01:33:16 AM »

Bring on R2 for sure!!!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2008, 02:43:00 AM »

The Resistance 2 ARG just started up again.  They're doing dead drops of little SRPA bags filled with goodies.  The ARG first started with events that happened before R1, showing just how Hale got his immunity, and now it looks to have caught up to R2.

Remember that picture Hale was holding in the intro to R1?  It has a lot more significance now.

You can also get a good idea of things that happened before R1 and what's happening after with the ARG.  Check these sites:
http://www.projectabraham.com/
http://www.americafirstamericaonly.com/
http://terminal-srpa.net/
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2008, 03:21:34 AM »

ARG?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2008, 03:27:21 AM »

Alternate Reality Game, something like that game, "Missing" but this one is for markeing purposes.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2008, 07:06:31 PM »

I also just finished this off last night. Agreed on the final encounter, I like the way it was handled. If it wasn't for all the quality games coming out now, I'd probably run through this again. R2 will probably be out before I get a chance to come back to it, but hopefully some day.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2008, 10:02:52 PM »

You are all pumped now for R2, wait til you read IGN's review.  9.5 they give it and say things like, "But eclipsing this is the sheer scale and scope of the game, which is nothing short of epic. In every single level, there is at least one moment that will make your jaw drop..."

I cannot friggin wait til next week.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2008, 11:03:11 PM »

Yeah, that IGN review pissed me off.  I knew the game would be good, but come on, does every friggin game that comes out at the end of the year half to be so damn good?!

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2008, 11:07:46 PM »

And to make it worse some already have it.  Walmart has for sale in several places, and some have seen Gears and Resistance both for sale at some Best Buys.  Matters not to me as I am waiting for my preorder at CC for the $10 gift card.  With the new releases I have picked up there already in the past couple of weeks I now have $30 I can use on a game.  I can wait to get a new release at 1/2 price.  Still got Prince of Persia, Mirror's Edge, World at War, Left 4 Dead, and on and on and on.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2008, 02:09:53 AM »

i will be going for the gamefly route, but i doubt i will luck out with it this late in the game.  oh well.  i have a friggin' nightmare of a backlog right now, and that's just the current stuff  eek

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2008, 03:35:52 AM »

Now I just need to decide whether to get the regular edition or the CE with cool little Chimeran figure.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2008, 06:34:12 AM »

so, I picked this up for free over the weekend, and I was amazed that someone finally got the controls right- as in YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE THEM TO WHATEVER LAYOUT YOU WANT!  and I don't mean just different set-ups; you can create your own  thumbsup  seriously, more devs need to let you have your own way with the control set-up, especially since you can actually save the settings thanks to HD's and memory cards.

oh, as for the game, alot better than the demo led me to believe.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2008, 06:47:46 AM »

I also finished this myself a couple days ago. Fun game. Nice mix of WWII-ish and alien atmospheres. Don't have much cash now to pick up R2 but I'm sure I will eventually.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2008, 07:31:22 AM »

Wait for R2 to drop in price by quite a bit.  While I do like the changes they made to some core elements of the gameplay, I don't think they adjusted their level and enemy design to match it, thus the SP campaign can be just plain frustrating in parts, and others will see it as just rubbish depending on how much you like the changes.

The multiplayer in R2, however, is great.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: