http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 10:26:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] Price... INCREASE?  (Read 3544 times)
CrayolaSmoker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« on: January 27, 2007, 01:45:59 PM »

I realize that the Canadian dollar is only worth slightly more than the paper it's printed on  icon_wink, but I can't see how raising the price $40 is a smart move at this particular time.

Or ever really. When was the last time a console's price went up during it's lifecycle?

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 01:51:52 PM »

yesterdays papers here in the uk,announced that we are paying an extra £122 than the US...the price in the US for our pound would be £303...we have to pay £425...so yeah..an increase for us as well.....we usually pay an extra 17.5% anyway because of tax...so,anyway...£303 would be a good price for us(360 premium is £280)...i would get one then

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 02:21:06 PM »

That is absolutely insane.  Mental note Sony, if on fire, do not try to douse with gasoline. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 03:11:36 PM »

Good move eh!

700 + 14% tax here in Ontario = 798

You're talking almost 1k to walk out of the store with a 60gb version with a 2nd controller and game.

That's priceless.

****edited for that whopping 1% GST tax drop recently*****
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 03:40:27 PM by tripwire » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 03:19:29 PM »

15% + sales tax rates?  eek  and people complain about the 6.75% we have here.  Does that mean you guys pay less income taxes (or whatever the equivalent of those would be up there/over the pond)?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 27, 2007, 03:19:29 PM

15% + sales tax rates?  eek  and people complain about the 6.75% we have here.  Does that mean you guys pay less income taxes (or whatever the equivalent of those would be up there/over the pond)?

Well, they have other benefits like socialized medicine and such that are probably payed for by taxes like that.   

Sandwiches do fix everything.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 03:26:47 PM »

right now, $600 us = $707 canadian, so, at $699 canadian, the additional vat is really what makes the difference. not sure what to think about the british price...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 03:35:22 PM »

It's actually 14% now (i forgot about the 1% GST drop just recently) yipeeeee

As for income taxes, let's just say that there's no let up, especially for the middle/upper middle class earners.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 03:51:35 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 27, 2007, 02:21:06 PM

That is absolutely insane.  Mental note Sony, if on fire, do not try to douse with gasoline. 

icon_lol

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 06:07:03 PM »

No price 'increase' in the U.S. that I have seen, but if it did happen Americans, on the whole, would be pissed.  It would be just one more reason to skip the system for a few years or get one of the others.  Only die-hard addicted gamers would still even consider getting one.  Either way, Sony would be dumbass crazy to do it. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 06:14:22 PM »

I visited so many sites at work last night I can't find the one I was looking for - but it said the price increase was due to the "weak" Canadian dollar and the new equivalent was actually on part with the US$ pricing..

Canadian online stores for Best Buy and Future Shop are currently listing the 60GB PS3's price as C$699.99 ($593), up from its original sale price of C$659.99 ($560).

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 08:43:41 PM »

My statement of the obvious for today is that I don't think this is a good idea.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 02:09:40 PM »

doesnt feel like it,LOL...i pay single mans tax,as i live on my own(obviously)..thats £68 a month...and then of course the normal tax off my wages (fire,ambulance,police etc).....new 360 games cost from £39.99-£49.99,so you decide if it is a lot or not

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 09:45:55 PM »

I was at Target this morning and they had PS3's there (60g) for $599.  Also went to Best Buy and they had 6 of them for the same price.  No one even looking at them.  I don't think we are long from these being extremely easy to find.   

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 09:53:06 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on January 28, 2007, 09:45:55 PM

I was at Target this morning and they had PS3's there (60g) for $599.  Also went to Best Buy and they had 6 of them for the same price.  No one even looking at them.  I don't think we are long from these being extremely easy to find.   

Yeah, but the one a lot of people want (myself included) is the 20gig version, which Sony is making very hard to find.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 09:57:36 PM »

why would people want the smaller HD version?  Cuz it's cheaper?  Is that it or am I missing something else between the two?

I am Xboxalot on Live.
unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 10:32:27 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on January 27, 2007, 06:07:03 PM

No price 'increase' in the U.S. that I have seen, but if it did happen Americans, on the whole, would be pissed.  It would be just one more reason to skip the system for a few years or get one of the others.  Only die-hard addicted gamers would still even consider getting one.  Either way, Sony would be dumbass crazy to do it. 

I know the USD just hit an all-time low versus the Euro, so we can probably assume it's also very weak compared to the Yen.  So if we go by their "relative value" excuse, shouldn't the PS3 be priced lower in the US?  And if the USD continues to decline (a very real prospect), does that mean Sony is assured to lower the price in the USA?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 11:00:21 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on January 28, 2007, 09:57:36 PM

why would people want the smaller HD version?  Cuz it's cheaper?  Is that it or am I missing something else between the two?

This is purely anecdotal, but for me personally and many of my friends, the 20gig is the no brainer if, and only if, you don't care about wireless out of the box. I personally could care less, as the router is in my game/tv room. So strike that, then the 20 gig. Right now, its kinda like the 360 HDD-unless you are downloading copious amounts of stuff, its more than sufficient for your games-add to that the fact that you can easily buy a stock HDD (probably a 120 gig for like 40 bucks) and get double the size for less-and for me its pretty much a no-brainer.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2007, 11:32:36 PM »

I would definitely get the 20 gig version.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 06:32:25 AM »

Any Canadians out there know if Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft dropped the price of consoles as the Canadian dollar climbed against the USD, without it being paired with an American price drop?

Somehow I doubt if the price change goes both ways.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2007, 06:59:05 AM »

Quote from: Dafones on January 29, 2007, 06:32:25 AM

Any Canadians out there know if Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft dropped the price of consoles as the Canadian dollar climbed against the USD, without it being paired with an American price drop?

I think it would be relative to the Japanese Yen, but I agree with your sentiment.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2007, 07:21:07 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 28, 2007, 11:00:21 PM

This is purely anecdotal, but for me personally and many of my friends, the 20gig is the no brainer if, and only if, you don't care about wireless out of the box. I personally could care less, as the router is in my game/tv room. So strike that, then the 20 gig. Right now, its kinda like the 360 HDD-unless you are downloading copious amounts of stuff, its more than sufficient for your games-add to that the fact that you can easily buy a stock HDD (probably a 120 gig for like 40 bucks) and get double the size for less-and for me its pretty much a no-brainer.

Yep... like I've said in the past: if you don't need the built in wireless, you'd be stupid NOT to get the 20 gig version.

gellar
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2007, 08:07:39 AM »

Quote from: gellar on January 29, 2007, 07:21:07 AM

Yep... like I've said in the past: if you don't need the built in wireless, you'd be stupid NOT to get the 20 gig version.

gellar

oddly enough it seems that no EB/Gamestop B & M is carrying the 20 gig version in stock.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2007, 08:32:17 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 29, 2007, 08:07:39 AM

Quote from: gellar on January 29, 2007, 07:21:07 AM

gellar

oddly enough it seems that no EB/Gamestop B & M is carrying the 20 gig version in stock.

As I said-super hard to find because Sony is either restricting the numbers they are sending out artificially or they just cant make enough-I know I read a while back that the unit still costs Sony so much that the 100$ drop the system actually hurts their bottom line-likely why its that cheap. If I ever get another contract before Feb. 14 and can find one, I will trade in my PS2 in a heartbeat for a 20gig PS3 at 400$.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 02:34:13 PM »

Quote from: Dafones on January 29, 2007, 06:32:25 AM

I know that as our dollar value climbed (a bit) and the US dollar dropped that GAMES were priced cheaper. Our stupid government has been (for years) lowering the interest rates to keep our dollar value down as the higher-ups were/are buddy-buddy with exporters rather than mfgrs.

You don't see the 360's jumping in cost; this is a telltale sign that Sony is truly hurting. Announcing price hikes for minor fluctuation in currency is a big sign of weakness. We're talking 5 cents on the dollar over the past year and a half; we used to be at 68c/1USD (pre-911) ... we were up to ~90c/1USD, and are now hovering at 85c/USD.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2007, 03:41:05 PM »

i think,if i did get one,it would be the 60gig one....one of the main problems with the 360 is the feeble 20gig(13gig)hard drive...and didnt they say some games would(or could)be downloaded onto the hard drive to make the game run faster/smoother?...im thinking a game like oblivion could benefit here so there is no loading/stuttering while walking across the land

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2007, 03:43:12 PM »

You don't see the 360's jumping in cost; this is a telltale sign that Sony is truly hurting. Announcing price hikes for minor fluctuation in currency is a big sign of weakness. We're talking 5 cents on the dollar over the past year and a half; we used to be at 68c/1USD (pre-911) ... we were up to ~90c/1USD, and are now hovering at 85c/USD.

Sony released a press release stating they did not increase the price in Canada. It was purely a decision on the part of the retailer (in this case Best Buy/Futureshop).
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 07:34:25 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on January 30, 2007, 03:43:12 PM

Sony released a press release stating they did not increase the price in Canada. It was purely a decision on the part of the retailer (in this case Best Buy/Futureshop).

Other retailers are starting to jump on board, including The Source and Microplay.

This increase smells funky, especially considering that prices on just about all electronics available have decreased considerably the past few months here, and that MS and Nintendo haven't increased any prices.

Why would BB and FS decide to sell for more when they know that anyone who buys at the old prices can walk into their store and get a price match -10%?

Weird indeed.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2007, 07:49:41 PM »

Quote from: tripwire on January 30, 2007, 07:34:25 PM

Other retailers are starting to jump on board, including The Source and Microplay.

This increase smells funky, especially considering that prices on just about all electronics available have decreased considerably the past few months here, and that MS and Nintendo haven't increased any prices.

Why would BB and FS decide to sell for more when they know that anyone who buys at the old prices can walk into their store and get a price match -10%?

Weird indeed.

If you don't believe me: http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25337080&sid=6164872

"Although the suggested retail price (SRP) of the PlayStation 3 in Canada has not changed, some Canadian retailers have chosen to increase their retail price as a result of the weaker Canadian dollar. This increase is solely at the discretion of the retailer, as Sony Computer Entertainment Canada has not issued a price increase."--An SCEC representative.
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2007, 08:00:09 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on January 30, 2007, 07:49:41 PM

Quote from: tripwire on January 30, 2007, 07:34:25 PM

Weird indeed.

If you don't believe me: http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25337080&sid=6164872

"Although the suggested retail price (SRP) of the PlayStation 3 in Canada has not changed, some Canadian retailers have chosen to increase their retail price as a result of the weaker Canadian dollar. This increase is solely at the discretion of the retailer, as Sony Computer Entertainment Canada has not issued a price increase."--An SCEC representative.

Of course i believe you, and i also saw those reports issued by Sony shortly after the hike.

I was trying to point out that the whole thing is quite weird to say the least.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2007, 08:16:40 PM »

That would be the work of spin-doctors. Look at the wording; the MSRP hasn't been raised, but that doesn't mean that Sony isn't hurting the retailers due to this.... they either sell it to canadian retailers at US prices and charge conversion (but SONY has a canadian component; I'm thinking this would be considered illegal as the product would then be considered an import and subject to different legislated import taxes etc).

My first suspicion is that they didn't raise the MSRP; just the SKU purchase price from their canadian dist. channels. Then Sony appears clean and lets the retailers deal with the backlash and just blame it on the canadian government so no one's at fault.  icon_twisted

As was pointed out above, since those companies do price-matching, I can bring in a flyer from Superstore/Costco/etc and get a price match and actually get it CHEAPER.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2007, 08:36:43 PM »

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=1003456
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2007, 08:51:42 PM »

And that says what? They aren't paying any 3rd party distro's or the front-cost of retail stores (I think we may have one Sony Store here; we used to have 4)... so they can tow the line and not up their cost on their e-store.

Besides, it would look  retard for the MFGR to sell their own product at a higher rate than the MSRP.  Tongue

I betcha the shipping went up 40bux on that SKU though slywink

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2007, 09:16:37 PM »

More likely, it could be something as simple as Best Buy purchases PS3s from Sony in US dollars and distributes them to Canada themselves. There are a lot simpler explanations than Sony conspiring to hide a price increase through carefully worded statements.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 03:35:43 PM by Andrew Mallon » Logged
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2007, 06:27:36 AM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on January 30, 2007, 08:36:43 PM

Futureshop begs to differ.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2007, 06:43:56 AM »

Quote from: Purge on January 30, 2007, 08:51:42 PM

And that says what? They aren't paying any 3rd party distro's or the front-cost of retail stores (I think we may have one Sony Store here; we used to have 4)... so they can tow the line and not up their cost on their e-store.

Besides, it would look  retard for the MFGR to sell their own product at a higher rate than the MSRP.  Tongue

I betcha the shipping went up 40bux on that SKU though slywink

I think that saying Sony is the mastermind behind this is all about too tinfoil hat for me.

They certainly aren't doing anything to discourage the behavior, but there is exactly zero indicators that they are the cause of it.  There is clearly evidence to the contrary.

gellar
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2007, 03:35:21 PM »

Quote from: Dafones on January 31, 2007, 06:27:36 AM

Exactly. You'd think if it was an across the board price increase Sony would've raised their price at their store. This is something Best Buy/Futureshop is doing and a few retailers are following suit.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 03:37:18 PM by Andrew Mallon » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2007, 10:21:28 PM »

I'd be interested to know the product markup over cost... IIRC there is maybe 15bux made on a 360.

The PS3's sold in Canada need to have french packaging, therefore it means that they aren't actually receiving these consoles via US channels... so it's horseshit either way.

BestBuy (who owns FS) or Sony... it doesn't really matter which one.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2007, 10:25:33 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 01, 2007, 10:21:28 PM

The PS3's sold in Canada need to have french packaging

Err... wha?

gellar
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2007, 10:29:01 PM »

Quote from: gellar on February 01, 2007, 10:25:33 PM

Quote from: Purge on February 01, 2007, 10:21:28 PM

The PS3's sold in Canada need to have french packaging

Err... wha?

gellar

Quebec.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter_of_the_French_Language

"One of the specifics of Bill 101 is insistence of French instructions for all products. During the 1990s Pokémon craze, the then PQ-led government pushed for the publication of French-translated Pokémon cards, lest Wizards of the Coast and the various stores selling the cards be fined. A line of French cards was produced, but did not gain as much value among collectors as the original English and Japanese versions. [2]

As of 2003, all video games sold in Quebec must include French instructions. Stores holding unused games with English-only instructions will be fined for each individual offending copy and see their merchandise seized."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: