http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 03:05:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] Ninja Gaiden Sigma - Why No Buzz?  (Read 2425 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2007, 05:16:09 PM »

I'm must wondering why there's no buzz around Ninja Gaiden Sigma here since it's quickly rising to the top of the charts at gamerankings.com. I don't even have a PS3 and I'm pumped about it. The game sounds like a significantly enhanced version of the XBox game and the gameplay sounds excellent. At least gamespot, IGN and Gamespy think so, as they've all awarded it an AAA score. Gamespy even gave it 5/5 stars!
I know I'll eventually own a PS3 and this is one game I'm looking forward to playing when that day comes.  slywink thumbsup
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 05:24:59 PM »

got my copy via surprise early delivery yesterday, & haven't gotten much further than what was in the demo (in the process of moving right now). will eventually share some ng noob -type impressions...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 05:30:44 PM »

Quote from: kronovan
I know I'll eventually own a PS3 and this is one game I'm looking forward to playing when that day comes.

If Sigma were an all-new Ninja Gaiden game, I would have purchased a PS3 in order to play it the moment it was released.  I'll definitely pick up this enhanced remake once there are enough other games to get me excited about buying the system, but since I already own this game twice over on the X-Box, it isn't enough all by itself.

Perhaps after Heavenly Sword, Lair and Ratchet & Clank Future are on the shelves....

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 05:31:14 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 04, 2007, 05:16:09 PM

I'm must wondering why there's no buzz around Ninja Gaiden Sigma here since it's quickly rising to the top of the charts at gamerankings.com.

because people get wowwed, rank it, and then it gets so hard the game kills them  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 05:39:12 PM »

Yep pretty much been summed up already.  I've played and beaten the game on the Xbox, so seeing as there isn't a whole lot new in Sigma I'm not too interested. 

For those who haven't played the game before, it great!

Pikachu, I Blame you!
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 05:43:40 PM »

I want it.  I just don't want to get angry during my 5 day weekend.

gellar
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 07:20:39 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 04, 2007, 05:43:40 PM

Now THAT had me laughing out loud. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 07:37:25 PM »

no buzz-because the original nanja gaiden(well the xbox 1 version anyway)spanked my ass so bad,i am truely ashamed

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 09:38:11 PM »

Too hard for moi.  Tried and gave up at least 6 times.  I'm done with it forever.  Looks nice and fun to watch someone with skills play it though.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 09:42:24 PM »

I think it'd be getting more forum attention if it weren't the third release of the same game (albeit with an outstanding facelift) in, what... five years? Four?

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 11:01:00 PM »

okay - a good ways into chapter 3, but had to take a break:

Spoiler for Hiden:
my right hand was cramping up during that timed free-for-all room in the aft section of the dirigible smile

bring a book for the install (don't know how much it helps, but the game runs very smoothly, to the point where the controls are almost too responsive). already wearing my ninja dog wrist ribbon (hey, pink is the new black), & am slowly trying to refine my very unsophisticated combat style. camera problems pretty acceptable, & similar to dmc, to the extent that there's often no right place for it to be, basically. the bigger pain in the ass is the 'examine/use' button being the same as one of the attack buttons...

very pretty/slick, interesting gameworld, & definitely frantic fun so far...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 12:15:13 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on July 04, 2007, 11:01:00 PM

the bigger pain in the ass is the 'examine/use' button being the same as one of the attack buttons...

that was one of my biggest issues with the xbox version...can get really frustrating to almost have a room cleared out after a long fight then accidentally trigger the door and have to do it all over again.  once you get beyond that, and the overall difficulty, it really is a great game...easily my favorite from the original xbox icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 12:21:35 AM »

Just to let you guys know, this version has an Easy mode where if you die a few times near the beginning it'll offer you a chance to drop to the easy difficulty.

Stupid, stupid design, though.  I hate these developers that don't offer difficulty settings from the start.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 12:52:25 AM »

Quote from: gellar on July 04, 2007, 05:43:40 PM

gellar

Really liked the demo on PSN, going to rent it for sure.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 01:45:42 AM »

After getting my ass handed to me in the original Xbox release (never made it past the sixth or seventh level) I'm committed to get through the game this time out.  So I'm definitely IN, I just don't know when I'll decide to play it. 
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 03:52:57 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 05, 2007, 12:21:35 AM

Just to let you guys know, this version has an Easy mode where if you die a few times near the beginning it'll offer you a chance to drop to the easy difficulty.
What do you mean "if"?

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 06:49:05 AM »

Okay, when you die a few times in the beginning, it'll give you the choice.

I just don't understand the stupid logic of not giving people that choice early on.  Some of these developers that try too hard to be "elite" or trying too hard to tell players how they should play a game.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 10:48:18 AM »

Tried it on my buddies PS3 last night... the game is fun for sure; I'm just not crazy about the colours/brightness... it seems too... viva pinata? I dunno. I just remember NG to be a darker, more deep and rich ... this is too... vibrant. ( I know, it sounds wierd) That's really my only complaint. It was fast, furious and fun. It makes me want to finish NG:B on my 360... and play NG2. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 04:18:58 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 05, 2007, 06:49:05 AM

I just don't understand the stupid logic of not giving people that choice early on.  Some of these developers that try too hard to be "elite" or trying too hard to tell players how they should play a game.

Totally agree-and the pink armband to brand you? I mean seriously-homophobic much? How silly and cliched (hey, I have no problem wearing pink-but the intention is to call you a sissy, and its lame).
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 05:00:39 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on July 05, 2007, 04:18:58 PM

Totally agree-and the pink armband to brand you? I mean seriously-homophobic much? How silly and cliched (hey, I have no problem wearing pink-but the intention is to call you a sissy, and its lame).

THAT HAPPENS?  THAT'S AWESOME.

I'm buying this shit today, now.

gellar
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 05:33:38 PM »

In once I get a 1080p tv for my media room and a PS3.  So in about 3 months. Tongue
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 05:35:05 PM »

I don't own a PS3, but I'm not sure I'd buy this game anyway. I got near the end of the original, but the game was totally stressing me out I was just playing it out of spite. I will beat you, you stupid piece of #%$& game! I never beat it, but my life is much happier now.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2007, 07:48:58 PM »

you failure.

-team ninja

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2007, 11:11:42 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 05, 2007, 05:00:39 PM

Quote from: Calvin on July 05, 2007, 04:18:58 PM

THAT HAPPENS?  THAT'S AWESOME.

I'm buying this shit today, now.

gellar

that's the 'Ninja Dog' mode that first showed up in Ninja Gaiden Black for the xbox.  if you die three times within a single level, you are given the option to switch to Ninja Dog mode where there are fewer enemies and the ones you do face do less damage.  in addition to the decreased difficulty, you're also given a few special items along the way to make the game easier...equippable items from Ayane, as well as a free potions and stuff from Murasma's shop.  the downside is that your character wears a pink ribbon on his wrist through the whole game because Ninja Dog is for wimps  icon_twisted

i had a tough time with NGB in the first couple levels, but never died enough to get the Ninja Dog option.  i was determined not to take the easier way out and just stuck with it on 'normal' difficulty.  while the game is incredibly difficult, you will get better if you stick with it for a few levels.  once you learn a couple of the better combos and realize that it really is a game of deliberate actions and not random button pressing, everything will start to click and you'll become a total badass.  it never becomes easy by any means, but the frustration fades away to reveal a truly great game underneath.  whether you own an original xbox, 360, or PS3, Ninja Gaiden is a game that noone should miss icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2007, 12:48:14 AM »

I don't think it's a matter of sticking with it.

I think it's a clear matter of developer laziness and elitism that they can't bother to properly train players how to play the game.  If you decide to make a game difficult just because you can, you've got an obligation to make sure the tutorials cover more than just basics and really help the player get into the game.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2007, 04:02:06 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 06, 2007, 12:48:14 AM

I think it's a clear matter of developer laziness and elitism that they can't bother to properly train players how to play the game.  If you decide to make a game difficult just because you can, you've got an obligation to make sure the tutorials cover more than just basics and really help the player get into the game.

I never had sympathy for this line of thinking from people back when NG first came out, and I still don't

guys, pay attention to something disarm said because it is ABSOLUTELY 100% CORRECT.  NG is *not* a game like the God of Wars where you can kick ass by just randomly mashing the same one or two buttons over and over.  and that really isn't a personal slam against the GoWs cause I love them almost as much as anyone else.  they're better than 99% of other games out there right now...just not quite as good as NG and DMC3

anyway, back to disarm's point...in NG you have to observe and *specifically react* to what enemies do, that's all.  it's just that gamers these days are numbed down and used to randomly mashing buttons to get through games with hardly any problems.  I completely understand too, if you get used to doing something so casually for a while, your true skills will atrophy

NG really is not a hard game as long as you're paying attention and get out of 'mash buttons' mode (well at least at default and ninja dog difficulties it's not, the hardest difficulty is f'in tough).  it takes some practice, no doubt...but all good things in life do
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2007, 05:44:44 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on July 06, 2007, 04:02:06 AM

Quote from: Turtle on July 06, 2007, 12:48:14 AM

I never had sympathy for this line of thinking from people back when NG first came out, and I still don't

guys, pay attention to something disarm said because it is ABSOLUTELY 100% CORRECT.  NG is *not* a game like the God of Wars where you can kick ass by just randomly mashing the same one or two buttons over and over.  and that really isn't a personal slam against the GoWs cause I love them almost as much as anyone else.  they're better than 99% of other games out there right now...just not quite as good as NG and DMC3

anyway, back to disarm's point...in NG you have to observe and *specifically react* to what enemies do, that's all.  it's just that gamers these days are numbed down and used to randomly mashing buttons to get through games with hardly any problems.  I completely understand too, if you get used to doing something so casually for a while, your true skills will atrophy

NG really is not a hard game as long as you're paying attention and get out of 'mash buttons' mode (well at least at default and ninja dog difficulties it's not, the hardest difficulty is f'in tough).  it takes some practice, no doubt...but all good things in life do

well said KePoW...that's pretty much exactly the point i was trying to make.  doing well at NG is a matter of figuring out how to use your powerful character to their full potential...something you should be able to learn on your own and not have spoonfed to you.  take the time to learn the combos (which the game does list for you), observe the patterns of your enemies, and figure out which attacks work best against different opponents.  once you come up with a technique for playing the game instead of just mashing the attack button and jumping all over the place, everything will start to fall into place and it's a hell of a lot of fun.  NG may seem like your typical mindless hack & slash action game on the surface, but in reality it's a complex game that rewards those who learn the fighting system.  put in a little effort, don't give up too quickly, and you'll discover a fantastic game underneath the initial frustration.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2007, 10:10:42 AM »

I hated the camera enough in the Ninja Gaiden demo that I never bothered to even try the full game or the Black re-release.  I have no sympathy for the shitty camera systems that are present in some action games, often Japanese ones. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2007, 12:06:49 PM »

Ninja Dog was available in the original version IIRC.
(I've never played black, and I seem to remember the Horseman boss in level 2 unlocking it for me while I was still in Dynasty Warriors hack mode).

The game actually gives you a sense of accomplishment. I don't rag on devs for giving an experience that can do that. Hell, most of the older games are way harder than current games. Look at Bionic Commando or Castlevania.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 12:08:46 PM by Purge » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2007, 12:51:33 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on July 06, 2007, 04:02:06 AM

I don't really think that's what he was saying.  I think it was that Ninja Gaiden does a piss poor job training you how to play the game and it's true- disarm even admitted as much in his post.  The first several levels are brutal, frustratingly difficult because of it.  It's great that if you persevere you'll eventually learn how to play it but the fact that it isn't a button masher doesn't excuse them from providing a proper difficulty ramp and tutorial.

Quote from: Purge on July 06, 2007, 12:06:49 PM

Ninja Dog was available in the original version IIRC.

I"m almost 100% positive it was added in the Black release. 
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2007, 01:43:23 PM »

I can be easily frustrated by games that are extremely difficult.  It's one of a few reasons why I've never been able to get into the Devil May Cry series.

I don't remember feeling especially frustrated by Ninja Gaiden.  When I died, I didn't feel that it was because the game was unfair or the section was punitively hard, but because I had gotten sloppy and needed to do a better job.  The enemies are fast and powerful, but your character is always faster and even more powerful, and I always found that switching up tactics was a good way to learn how to deal with extremely difficult parts of the game.

The roll-jump-roll combination is critical -- it isn't hard to do, and it keeps you in constant motion so you can reposition yourself in battle without getting hit.  Remember that you'll jump straight towards the nearest enemy if you press "Jump" and "Light Attack" simultaneously, enabling you to properly execute moves like the Izuna Throw and thin out the number of enemies you have around you at all times.  I also recommend spending most of your money on permanent upgrades to your weapons, particularly the Dragon Sword, as opposed to one-time use items like the Second Life.

-Autistic Angel
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2007, 05:29:23 PM »

KG, you were right.

From Gamefaqs NGB entry
Hard Complete the game on Ninja Dog or Normal difficulty, or have a save file on your hard drive where you completed the original Ninja Gaiden on Xbox.
Master Ninja Complete the game on Very Hard.
Ninja Dog Die three times consecutively in Chapter 1., then accept the choices given to you.
Very Hard Complete the game on Hard difficulty, or have a save file with the clear data of the Hurricane Pack 1

No such entry exists for NG. It must have been another game. EDIT - Crimson Sea or GUNVALKRIE. It was one of those two. I remember seeing in the Black features and thinking it was a feature well stolen for the non-gamer.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2007, 05:34:34 PM »

The sad thing is that I'm not even sure I'm going to have to intentionally die three times on hard in the first Chapter- I expect it will happen anyway. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2007, 05:46:20 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 06, 2007, 05:34:34 PM

The sad thing is that I'm not even sure I'm going to have to intentionally die three times on hard in the first Chapter- I expect it will happen anyway. 

I played most of the demo on PS3 and didn't die once-which shocked the hell out of me, because I tried the Xbox version and sucked so hard it was scary.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2007, 06:26:10 PM »

ninja dog suits me just fine, thanks ninja2 (replace blue w/ pink)...

am improving as i go along (not using ninpo very much, if at all). finished rachel's first mission - kinda small (the mission, i mean), & included:

Spoiler for Hiden:
another one of those button-hand cramping timed free-for-alls - ow!

didn't like the rachel section of the demo, but ended up controlling her better than i've done ryu up til now - go figure...

if the dmc series still gets the nod from me over ng:s, it's only because of personal preferences, story/character -wise. other than that, as ryu's attacks become more intuitive to me, i'm finding ng:s to be every bit as clever & well put together - am definitely having a lot more fun than i thought i would...

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2007, 06:54:30 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on July 06, 2007, 06:26:10 PM

if the dmc series still gets the nod from me over ng:s, it's only because of personal preferences, story/character -wise

hey that's ok, I still give a slight edge to DMC3 over NG, as far as being the best action-adventure game of these types, ever since DMC1 came out

it goes:

DMC3 > NGs > GoWs >>>>> everything else
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2007, 07:03:07 PM »

I hope I can find this to rent tihs weekend, I really really want to try it!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2007, 03:16:10 PM »

Played a lot of this over the weekend.

Started out on Ninja Dog and it made for a much more accessible experience than I had with the original on Normal difficulty.  It gives you enough leeway to learn effective combos and tactics without punishing you too harshly for mistakes.  Made it to Chapter 10 on that mode and by that point it was honestly feeling too easy.

So I restarted the game on Normal and, with the skills acquired in playing on Easy, found the experience much smoother and less frustrating than I had two years ago.  I've made it to the first Rachel Chapter (5) on this difficulty without much issue (rated Master Ninja on every level so far).  So I think I'll try and stick with this mode but I'm kind of dreading some of the boss fights- they really suck in this game. 

The Rachel levels (I played two of them on Easy) are pretty crappy.  Honestly I don't care to learn a new moveset for a character getting a small portion of the playtime.  Thankfully they are really short but I would prefer to be able to skip them. 

So the news is overall really good- I'm enjoying the game much, much more than I ever have before.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2007, 03:21:01 AM »

I'm usually not great at hard games (like Hitman, I just gave up) but I am LOVING this game. Maybe it's that I've been playing fighting games for the last 3 weeks straight, but this all seems to click, and I'm past where I got when I rented Black for teh 360, and I haven't died too much. Maybe I just have more patience now.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2007, 03:59:55 PM »

I'm at the final boss now and I think this games combat and difficulty is one of the most rewarding systems to come around in a long time. The game rewards you for becoming a good player and getting better at the game.

My suggestion to anyone who wants to play this but has doubts about the difficulty I would recommend playing through lvl 7 (which I believe is the first fight with Alma) if you don't have the combat down by then, you probably won't get it.

Also, once you have the game down you should be able to get through the lvls without using health potions or by using very few of them.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: