http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 10:32:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] Motorstorm Review - IGN  (Read 2122 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2007, 03:54:04 AM »

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/768/768820p1.html

smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 03:59:37 AM »

that seemed pretty reasonable and more in line with expectations. Great game for current PS3 owners, don't see it moving systems though.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 04:04:15 AM »

Yeah, I agree that 8.9 is a good score for this game. The lack of tracks really prevents it from being a 9 or above. I really hope they have tracks available for download over PSN. I beleive they said they would.

It is a very fun game though, the crashes are incredible and the graphics overall are really amazing. If you have a PS3, I would grab it. No question. smile

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 04:22:29 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 01, 2007, 04:04:15 AM

If you have a PS3, I would grab it. No question. smile

Well I guess so since you have it!  Tongue

This is the only PS3 title that actually makes me wish I had one. The graphics are quite drool inducing.

On a racing related note, is Rockstar planning a new Midnight Club for either PS3 or 360? Man I love MC3 and an HD one would rock.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 06:06:14 AM »

They sure dont make killer apps like they used to.   icon_twisted
(just poking fun)

Game looks great and I will surely pick it up when it takes a price drop.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 06:21:35 AM »

yeah it got around 88% in magazines here in england...so,i guess its a good game anyway,but people are/were proberbly expecting at least a 90% game for it being PS3 and a much talked about game

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 12:52:01 PM »

Yeah, now that seems like a decent review and a pretty fair score-that was actually what I was expecting. I would definitely buy this game, but with GRAW2 on the same day I am probably going to try to wait to see if I can get it 10 bucks off a week or two later.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 01:05:26 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 01, 2007, 04:04:15 AM

Yeah, I agree that 8.9 is a good score for this game. The lack of tracks really prevents it from being a 9 or above. I really hope they have tracks available for download over PSN. I beleive they said they would.

It is a very fun game though, the crashes are incredible and the graphics overall are really amazing. If you have a PS3, I would grab it. No question. smile

That doesn't sound like you're describing a killer app.   icon_wink

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 04:33:29 PM »

Looks like I'll be getting this one as well.

gellar
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 09:47:01 PM »

IN!

Nice to see some good stuff starting to hit.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 12:06:49 AM »

I agree that this game looks and plays awesome.  I have had alot of fun each time I tried it out at the kiosks.  I wouldn't buy the system for it, but it is a nice game.  If I had the system already, yes, I would grab it.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 06:49:00 AM »

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/motorstorm/review.html

Spoiler for Hiden:
killer app

But seriously, to be honest, no matter how good a racing engine you create, if you don't put modes in there, if there's no real meat to the game, I think a 7.9 is a deserving score.

TheMissingLink on PSN
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 07:25:16 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on March 06, 2007, 06:49:00 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
killer app

But seriously, to be honest, no matter how good a racing engine you create, if you don't put modes in there, if there's no real meat to the game, I think a 7.9 is a deserving score.

wow,thats pretty scary....cos the ps3 comes out here soon and that would prolly be the game i got if i did actually buy the console

do the network thing not do any demos?....demos for me(mainly 360) are getting pretty important now...any demos out there and i try them,maybe there will be a agme that i like that i would nt of thought i would like

but anyway,7.9 is more or less stay away for me

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 09:50:24 AM »

There aren't any separate challenges, elimination races, one-on-one duels or anything of that sort. There isn't even a quick race option, so if you want to play a single race on a specific course with a certain field of vehicles, you need to dig through the tickets in the career mode to find a race that suits your mood.

That alone would prevent me from buying this.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 12:03:14 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
killer app

OMGZ play the full game before /hater mode plz kthnx? Yahoo review:   4.5/5-oh snap?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 12:43:17 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 06, 2007, 07:25:16 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
killer app

wow,thats pretty scary....cos the ps3 comes out here soon and that would prolly be the game i got if i did actually buy the console

do the network thing not do any demos?....demos for me(mainly 360) are getting pretty important now...any demos out there and i try them,maybe there will be a agme that i like that i would nt of thought i would like

but anyway,7.9 is more or less stay away for me

Yeah, cause one 7.9 > all the other 8's, 9's and 10's this game has recieved.   Roll Eyes

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 01:13:59 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 06, 2007, 12:43:17 PM

Yeah, cause one 7.9 > all the other 8's, 9's and 10's this game has recieved.   Roll Eyes

To be fair, the game has an 85% on Gamerankings after 14 reviews, so it wasn't the only 7.9. Anyway IMHO Gamespot is much more reuputable than IGN.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 01:21:50 PM »

Quote from: Lee on March 06, 2007, 01:13:59 PM

To be fair, the game has an 85% on Gamerankings after 14 reviews, so it wasn't the only 7.9. Anyway IMHO Gamespot is much more reuputable than IGN.

Well to be fair, an average of 85% is signifcantly higher than 1 7.9...so by that logic there were also plenty of 9.0s-as if any meta-breakdown of the review scores actually matters in the long run smile Either way, I think its clear what we are getting in terms of single-player deficiency (lack of game options, more shallow campaign), and what we are getting to make up for it (fun and exciting multiplayer, awesome crashes, track modeling, race dynamics).
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2007, 01:23:03 PM »

Quote from: Lee on March 06, 2007, 01:13:59 PM

There are 3 Reviews that are 7.9 or lower....versus 15 that are 8.0 or higher.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/928393.asp

Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007, 01:25:27 PM »

I know gamespot typically score games lower than everywhere else, but 7.9 is kinda shocking

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2007, 01:29:10 PM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on March 06, 2007, 01:25:27 PM

I know gamespot typically score games lower than everywhere else, but 7.9 is kinda shocking

Yeah they gave Crackdown something like a 7.9 too, under rated I think. I really think you need to read Gamespots reviews to get a true feel for whether the game is for you and not go off the rating too much.

I will be buying Motorstorm as soon as I get a PS3. They have a few in stock around town here, and everytime I see one, I have to remind myself to wait. smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2007, 01:35:54 PM »

Quote from: Lee on March 06, 2007, 01:29:10 PM

Yeah they gave Crackdown something like a 7.9 too, under rated I think. I really think you need to read Gamespots reviews to get a true feel for whether the game is for you and not go off the rating too much.

I will be buying Motorstorm as soon as I get a PS3. They have a few in stock around town here, and everytime I see one, I have to remind myself to wait. smile

Sir, sell your PS2, get the 20gig version and be happy (unless you desperately need wireless out of the box) great deal, havent regretted it for one second even though the game selection is light.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2007, 02:12:42 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 06, 2007, 01:35:54 PM

Quote from: Lee on March 06, 2007, 01:29:10 PM

Sir, sell your PS2, get the 20gig version and be happy (unless you desperately need wireless out of the box) great deal, havent regretted it for one second even though the game selection is light.
I couldnt find a place that sold the 20 gig, so I had to get the 60

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2007, 02:15:52 PM »

Not having a PS3, I don't care much about Motorstorm one way or the other.  However, since Kasavin left Gamespot they've become just another review site to me and I don't put any additional stock in their opinions over any other site.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2007, 04:26:24 PM »

Kasavin exemplified everything that was wrong with with gaming criticism. His checklist-style approach to reviews drove me crazy. "This was good, but this was bad. This feature would've been good, if this other feature hadn't been bad." He had no sense of style or imagination whatsoever, and his reviews reflect it. He's a robot, not a reviewer.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2007, 04:50:40 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on March 06, 2007, 04:26:24 PM

Kasavin exemplified everything that was wrong with with gaming criticism. His checklist-style approach to reviews drove me crazy. "This was good, but this was bad. This feature would've been good, if this other feature hadn't been bad." He had no sense of style or imagination whatsoever, and his reviews reflect it. He's a robot, not a reviewer.

I agree with most of your point if not the vitriol.  I think something happened around the 2001-2002 timeframe to change his approach.  If you go back and read a lot of his reviews from the time period he was much more enthusiastic about games and I thought it came through in his reviews.  A lot of that personality disappeared shortly after that.  However, even though I didn't always agree with his conclusions, he always came across to me as willing to give everything a fair shake and he was the rare reviewer who seemed genuinely knowledgeable on all genres and his criticisms were usually fair with a few exceptions (Yakuza comes to mind as a recent exception).   

I can't really stand listening to it much anymore, but I used to listen to Gamespot's podcast regularly and I always liked it when Greg was on because he was usually levelheaded and knowledgeable.  Listening to the rest of the group, I found it astounding how ignorant they can be with regard to the field they work in as "professionals". 
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2007, 04:52:27 PM »

Getting closer... Hetz.. Keep teasing the nipple.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2007, 04:59:03 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 06, 2007, 12:03:14 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
killer app

OMGZ play the full game before /hater mode plz kthnx? Yahoo review:   4.5/5-oh snap?
"A shallow package with only one (not very good) single-player mode; no offline multiplayer"?  Yikes.  At least it has online... and if it's implemented as well as Burnout Revenge there will be many hours of enjoyment to be had.

"That there are only eight tracks in the game heightens the repetitive nature of the racing."  What!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 08:58:11 PM by depward » Logged

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2007, 05:09:45 PM »

Still on the fence after reading some of the 8.5+ reviews along with the sub 8 ones.  The lack of single player depth hurts along with vehicle's in the same class having no differences among themselves, one motorcycle is the same as the next.  I'm sure in the full game there is an option to turn off the music, I prefer my racing done using motor sounds only, heavy metal is distracting and not to my taste anyways.  After playing the demo I have to say lack of rumble features is pretty big, this game seems made for it (I hope Sony can get this issue worked out sometime soon).  I'll kid myself and say I'm going to wait a bit on this title,  I hope it lives up to its hype once it hits the stores.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2007, 06:01:49 PM »

Quote from: depward on March 06, 2007, 04:59:03 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
killer app

"A shallow package with only one (not very good) single-player mode; no offline multiplayer"?  Yikes.  At least it has online... and if it's implemented as well as Burnout Revenge there will be many hours of enjoyment to be had.

"That there are only eight tracks in the game heightens the repetitive nature of the racing."  What!

Plus Calvin - you shouldn't be the one talking about hating something you've never played.  KTHXBYE

Um first of all, quote some positives with the negatives noob. second of all, how many times do I have to tell you or TML that I have played a goddamn Nintendo Wii and I dont like it. I HAVE PLAYED IT.

Anyways, I'm done. If you don't own a PS3 or just want to bash the PS3 or Motorstorm, this thread probably isn't the right one.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2007, 06:12:56 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 06, 2007, 06:01:49 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
killer app

Plus Calvin - you shouldn't be the one talking about hating something you've never played.  KTHXBYE

Um first of all, quote some positives with the negatives noob. second of all, how many times do I have to tell you or TML that I have played a goddamn Nintendo Wii and I dont like it. I HAVE PLAYED IT.

Anyways, I'm done. If you don't own a PS3 or just want to bash the PS3 or Motorstorm, this thread probably isn't the right one.
Stupid PS3 fanboy  Roll Eyes.... icon_lol IM SO GONNA BEAT YOU IN MOTORSTORM. Have you tried controlling it with the sixaxis? its a little hard

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2007, 06:18:51 PM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on March 06, 2007, 06:12:56 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
killer app

Stupid PS3 fanboy  Roll Eyes.... icon_lol IM SO GONNA BEAT YOU IN MOTORSTORM. Have you tried controlling it with the sixaxis? its a little hard

No, I have not tried that actually-not sure I have any desire too-let me know what you think about it.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2007, 06:22:16 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 06, 2007, 06:18:51 PM

Quote from: Louis Cypher on March 06, 2007, 06:12:56 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
killer app

No, I have not tried that actually-not sure I have any desire too-let me know what you think about it.
I tried it a little bit yesterday, and it was tough to get just right. After like 5 mins, it got the "hang" of it. Its touchy, and found myself going the wrong way a lot. Stick with the sticks

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2007, 11:08:30 PM »

I'm not hating, I'm just saying, it takes more than bare-bones game-modes to sell me on a racing game.  No matter how good the racing engine. 

TheMissingLink on PSN
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2007, 11:45:32 PM »

I think the gamespot review seems very fair given the dearth of actual content. They basically dinged Excite Truck (even harder) for the same reason. I love Excite Truck, and I am sure I would REALLY love Motorstorm, but they are both deserving of being dinged for their shallowness.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: