http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 04:16:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] Motor Storm trailer  (Read 1375 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2005, 04:02:33 PM »

This deserves its own thread, honestly, just watch it:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=5841&type=mov
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 04:15:56 PM »

WOW.  :shock:
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 04:31:41 PM »

Seems like some impressive CGI work, very little if any of that looked like actual gameplay.... that aside the premise that is shown looks pretty cool.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 08:02:25 PM »

Then again, if you consider other videos of actual gameplay for other 360 games, what they showed could very well be actual gameplay.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 08:19:59 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Seems like some impressive CGI work, very little if any of that looked like actual gameplay.... that aside the premise that is shown looks pretty cool.

pretty much my thoughts...nothing there to indicate actual gameplay.  i'm not saying it isn't possible, but i'll always take these early videos with a grain of salt.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 09:53:22 PM »

I watched that trailer like six times.

It's awesome.

Yes, it was pre-rendered. But if the game looks close to that, and I think it could, I will be completely and totally sold on a PS3. That looks like way too much fun for me to skip out on.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 05:21:26 AM »

I'd be willing to believe that the behind-the-wheel portions of the video accurately reflect the quality of the gameplay.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 05:46:45 AM »

Firstly... QuickTime! FINALLY!

Secondly... If, and only IF this is gameplay footage... I just fucking shat my pants.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 06:21:45 AM »

Thin_j where did you get your info that it was prerendered?  I'm not doubting you, but I'd like some confirmation before my hopes are brutally beat down.  Tongue

I mean, I saw the Ghost Recon 3 in game footage and it was nearly on par with this video.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 07:58:17 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Thin_j where did you get your info that it was prerendered?  I'm not doubting you, but I'd like some confirmation before my hopes are brutally beat down.  Tongue

I mean, I saw the Ghost Recon 3 in game footage and it was nearly on par with this video.

The prerendered news bite was (I think) on gamespot.

I'll try to dig it up for you.

*edit*
Couldn't find the gamespot bit, but I did find an equivalent article on Voodoo Extreme.

Here's a quote:

In addition to the Sony demos being shown by Phil Harrison, the Epic and EA presentations were the only third party portions actually running on the PS3 in real-time. But most of those movies, which I probably watched 3 or 4 during rehearsals for the event, look very achievable and some were probably rendered on the actual box but in non-real-time. When a system is year away, heck even with a system is 6 months away, it is reasonable to expect the power of the dev kits would still only be a fraction of the power of the final system.

I know we'll certainly be able to achieve much more on the final box than we were able to show in our demo after working with the early dev kit for only ~2 months. As Tim mentioned our demo only really showed off the power of RSX and then still we're talk about an RSX that's nowhere near as fast as the final one will be. When we get home from E3 we'll also start diving seriously into the power of the cell processor. This is a very powerful system!

Sony's cell demos were extremely cool and inspiring but are totally achievable, and over time even surpassable, by third developers like us because, as Tim Sweeney said, the development environment is made up of parts we're already intimately familiar with: OpenGL, NVIDIA graphics, Linux, and PowerPC. Think about Epic's experience, for example. We rock on NVIDIA hardware. We have been doing OpenGL since Unreal1. We regularly ship our games on Linux and we've won several Macintosh Game of the Year awards including a special World-Wide Design Award directly from Apple for UT2004. We're going to be able to kick serious ass on PS3, and so are a lot of our licensees and other 3rd party developers, in a way that wasn't remotely possible on past consoles.

I should add that we're in a similar position for XBOX360. It's also made up of parts we're intimately familiar with.

My point is that developers are going to be able to get SO MUCH MORE power out of these consoles than they ever could in the past and so much closer to the raw power of the components.

The next generation is just going to be AMAZING!!! Next gen games will be a huge leap forward over current gen.

Can you tell I'm excited?

And the link:
VE3D Article

Note that Rein does believe those results in the videos are at least semi-possible on the box, and he retains an extremely positive attitude about the hardware.

Like I said, I'm hoping we see that visual quality out of all the next-gen systems. I'd love nothing more.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 08:02:11 PM »

Right here (Gamespot)

If today's trailer is any indication whatsoever of what Evolution is shooting for in the finished game, we can assume that each of the vehicles in Motor Storm will feature realistically modeled interiors and that during the course of a typical race they'll get caked in super-realistic dirt and leave super-super-realistic debris all over the course. The first time Evolution Studios ever showed a WRC demo behind closed doors in London, we were told that the game would be so detailed that leaves on the track would behave according to accurately simulated wind currents caused by passing cars. That never really happened on the PlayStation 2, but maybe it will on the PlayStation 3.

In other words the developer has a history of saying things will look better than they end up.

And Gamespot also announced (via their Live video coverage...which is really annoying because Ryan MacDonald likes to keep saying, "dude!" "That's awesome!" and "sweet!") that the director at Guerilla said that Killzone 2's video that was shown is what they hope Killzone 2 will look and play not...not that it actually is that at this time.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 08:08:09 PM »

Yeah I remember reading that the Killzone stuff was all CG movies and not actual game renderings of any kind. Pretty disappointing.

I still maintain my optimism about the overall visual quality though, and would love to see a game like Motorstorm come out with visuals on par or close to that video.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 08:13:51 PM »

Does it really matter? If you cant tell if its pre rendered or from in game whats the real problem then?  Cool

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2005, 12:57:45 AM »

I really really really hope games that are that realistic with THAT much action on screen at once are achievable soon, but I am suspect.  

I don't believe one second of that was actual gameplay.  Just my opinion.  Hope I am wonderfully and happily proven wrong some day.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: