http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 01:50:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [ps3] littlebigplanet (& lbp/psp) impressions...  (Read 24900 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 20, 2008, 05:10:30 PM »

Quote from: maccwerk on December 20, 2008, 04:36:09 PM

Any word on whether the new patch addresses the 1080i scaling issue?

I didn't see anything on that.  It did add a LBP Store to the menus, though, letting you buy stuff without going to the PSN Store.

Isn't the 1080i thing an issue with the PS3 overall?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
maccwerk
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 20, 2008, 05:35:51 PM »

It is, but Sony left it up to the software developers to implement 1080i scaling, without mandating it. Most games work fine and there have been several games that have been patched to include it...unfortunately LBP is not one of them...yet...I heard that MM was "looking into it", and I'm hopeful that they'll patch it soon, as it's a crime to have this game downscale to 480p, given the eyecandy of the levels. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: December 20, 2008, 05:50:50 PM »

New info on the Paintinator (aka Paint of the Patriots Tongue).  It works much like the jetpack, in that, when you touch it, it becomes attached to you and alters how the Sackboy controls.  You can no longer grab while you have the paintinator, probably because the R1 grab button is now the shoot button.  I assume you shake your controller to get rid of it.

Hopefully, they add more things that work like that.  I'd love to see jump boots or something so designers can make levels with higher platforms.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 06:01:50 PM by Turtle » Logged
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 20, 2008, 06:37:10 PM »

Yeah, I was scared that this MGS dealio would be like their festive pack - but they are going all out.

Include their recent restructuring of how you search for levels (which went from horrible to omgawesome), and the better multiplayer lag (unplayable for weeks after release, just now stabilizing), and MM is doing a great job of keeping LBP relevant and interesting.

Shame it isn't as much of a commercial success as it is critically, but whatever.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: December 20, 2008, 06:50:02 PM »

It's too early to say it's not a commercial success, it sold very well on release and will probably continue to sell well for a long time.  A lot of things in this industry are release day oriented, but many of Sony games are long term games.

With DLC packs like this that add functionality for everyone, not just people who buy the pack, and new levels coming out all the time, the game will always be fresh.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 20, 2008, 08:35:46 PM »

Finally got around to beating all the levels that came with the game.  The Indian-themed stuff was probably my favorite in the game.  I have been putting off trying to create my own stuff, but I think I will take a shot at it soon.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 20, 2008, 08:57:34 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 20, 2008, 08:35:46 PM

Finally got around to beating all the levels that came with the game.  The Indian-themed stuff was probably my favorite in the game.  I have been putting off trying to create my own stuff, but I think I will take a shot at it soon.

I've tried to get through one of the last Collector levels at least a dozen times. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
The one with the wheel of doom.  Ugh.

I will say that creation, for as big as a pain in the ass as it is, is very satisfying when it comes together.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: December 20, 2008, 11:34:36 PM »

I hate that wheel as a player.  I love it as a creator.  I think I'll try to make one that's much easier to play.

Perhaps I can make it so you can control the spin of the wheel using a series of proximity switches.  I'm not sure how to handle multiple players though.

I do know I'm going to use the Paintinator in my steampunk levels, there'll probably be a segment where you have to shoot down clockwork flying machines before they destroy your airship.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 11:39:57 PM by Turtle » Logged
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 20, 2008, 11:41:05 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 20, 2008, 08:57:34 PM

I've tried to get through one of the last Collector levels at least a dozen times. 
Spoiler for Hiden:

I will say that creation, for as big as a pain in the ass as it is, is very satisfying when it comes together.

You'll hate me, but I didn't have that much trouble with it.  I think I made it through the level the first time I tried.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 21, 2008, 12:40:44 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 20, 2008, 11:41:05 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

You'll hate me, but I didn't have that much trouble with it.  I think I made it through the level the first time I tried.

I hate you.

Although I figured out one of the tricks which is, on the final section, instead of barely-controllable running and jumping, you more or less stay in place and jump.  It clicked when I started doing that.  Still didn't get it in one, but I see completion on the horizon.

I will say that level highlights a lot of the control frustrations I have with the game.  The conveyor belt is harder than it should be because it is not a smooth change to go from one direction to the other, for example.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 12:42:20 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 21, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »

It's funny because there are earlier levels I had much more trouble with.  Also, the final level I had to attempt a couple of times.  I ended up getting my son in the game and he and I finished it.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 21, 2008, 07:32:33 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

I envy you!  That part took me forever - the thought of acing it scares me.

TheMissingLink on PSN
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 21, 2008, 08:23:18 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on December 21, 2008, 07:32:33 PM

I envy you!  That part took me forever - the thought of acing it scares me.

Well, I didn't ace it.  I just didn't have to start the level over.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: December 23, 2008, 03:36:07 AM »

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/12/22/watch-sackboy-snake-face-off-against-metal-gear-rex/

New video shows the SackSnake vs REX fight.  There's also a funny in-joke where SackSnake destroys a machine that pumps out trophy whoring levels into LBP.

I'm loving the sound the paintinator makes when it fires.  The paint switch is also seen larger scale, looks like it has a health meter that goes down as you hit it with paint.

Right now I'm working on a Kids Construction Set, basically a series of simple objects that even kids can use to assemble a playable level.  The problem with objects you get in the campaign is that they're pretty specialized, meant more to teach you how to create them, rather than to provide something like a lego set.  With this, the idea is you use them as building blocks, then change the materials as needed.  So far I've got a simple springboard, a conveyor belt, and elevator.  I'm not sure yet how to standardize the platforms.  I'm thinking either just 2-3 heights that are based on how high and far sackboy can jump, with anything extra being just objects stacked on each other.  I could use ideas for more basic building blocks for the set.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 03:47:13 AM by Turtle » Logged
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 23, 2008, 05:05:27 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 23, 2008, 03:36:07 AM

media molecule's ultimate christmas present smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 23, 2008, 06:14:33 PM »

Honestly?  The absolutely LOVE and creativity that is going into the MGS pack for LBP is amazing...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: December 23, 2008, 11:11:13 PM »

The MGS pack is out!  Downloading now!

Also, for anyone having consistent lag issues with LBP, are you using a wireless or wired connection?

There's been some testing that the wireless adapter in the PS3 is very, very slow, not sure why.  It could just be the early models, or all of them.  I was using a wireless connection and got nothing but laggy games.  I just plugged my PS3 in via cat 5 cable and the first game I got into was lag free, but that could be just a one off thing.  I'll test this more to make sure it's not just a one time deal.  Sadly, looks like I might need a new router and more cables.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 11:14:18 PM by Turtle » Logged
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 23, 2008, 11:49:03 PM »

just did my first run thru chapter 3. very whacked, very funny smile . paintinator takes some getting used to, but i was doing just fine by the time i finished. don't want to go further til i find more goodies...

so fucking cool! smile ...

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 11:51:26 PM by semiconscious » Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 24, 2008, 12:02:22 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

Good going

That section had me close to tears for awhile
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 24, 2008, 12:18:18 AM »

i'll only add - special props to the screaming mantis outfit smile ...

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 24, 2008, 02:20:29 AM »

I'm definitely picking up the level pack.  I'm less convinced about the costumes.  I like them, but I don't know how I feel about paying $6 for four new costumes.  Feels like I'm buying horse armor again.  Though the Mantis costume is sweet.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: December 24, 2008, 02:27:29 AM »

Been playing around with the new objects.  The paintinator can be set to have limited ammo, and you can see how much you have left via the bar on the gun.  It'll refill every time you touch a new paint station, and each station can have its own set amount of paint.  Pretty cool.  I like the new plasma ball and missile hazards too.

I'm not sure how they handled the spotlight trigger, I'll have to play around with that.

The level pack is absolutely worth it.  The costumes... maybe.  I'd buy the pack at $4, but I don't think it'd go for $6, it's a small amount, but the costumes just don't add anything to gameplay, and I don't see those pieces really joining up with other stuff.

Oh, and I've been using a SackVader costume using the astronaut costume painted black along with the roman cape, also painted black.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 02:29:43 AM by Turtle » Logged
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 24, 2008, 03:11:43 AM »

as i've already mentioned, i have no problem supporting media molecule with a few bucks here'n'there - not expecting everyone to do the same, but i can (not that i'm loaded or anything), & feel it's for a good cause (ie, adopt a small developer)...

of course, i also grabbed the disgaea 3 stuff smile ...

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 26, 2008, 03:08:26 PM »

Santa Claus was nice enough to put this in my stocking.

My wife and I played through about 10 of the story levels co-op last night.  Despite my general aversion to platformers we had alot of fun with it.  I think the game will get steady play for a while in short bursts.  I doubt I will mess with the creation tools, but once we finish the premade levels I'll probably try out some DLC. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 05:06:59 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
depward

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 26, 2008, 04:24:24 PM »

Played through all of the MGS levels yesterday (while trying out the costume pack; the screaming mantis one is awesome).  Man, the premise is absolutely hilarious - shut down the machine that's pumping out trophy whoring levels.

The Paintinator weapon is well done - works exactly as advertised.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: December 26, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »

Quote from: depward on December 26, 2008, 04:24:24 PM

Man, the premise is absolutely hilarious - shut down the machine that's pumping out trophy whoring levels.

Yes, I laughed my ass off.  My son just stared at me and I had to explain it to him.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 27, 2008, 01:49:06 AM »

I just got this for Christmas.    What a completely brilliant game.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: December 27, 2008, 02:30:25 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 27, 2008, 01:49:06 AM

I just got this for Christmas.    What a completely brilliant game.

I would probably grab this if there wasn't so much that requires coop with someone.  I would never get those parts completed and hate having to. 

Other than that, and the fact it is never on sale, I would grab it I think.  Like what I see in it. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 27, 2008, 03:25:08 PM »

Amazon has had it for $40 several times in the past few weeks.  Also, the co-op parts are entirely optional.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 27, 2008, 05:16:16 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on December 27, 2008, 03:25:08 PM

Amazon has had it for $40 several times in the past few weeks.  Also, the co-op parts are entirely optional.

Optional if you don't mind not collecting everything.  And there are some that require 4 players!  That bummed me out.

On an unrelated note, has anyone tried my level?

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 27, 2008, 05:17:06 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 27, 2008, 05:16:16 PM

Optional if you don't mind not collecting everything.  And there are some that require 4 players!  That bummed me out.

You could always play online with people to get those extras.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 27, 2008, 05:27:16 PM »

On an unrelated note, has anyone tried my level?

I have some time today.  I'll make sure to search and play your level  icon_biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 27, 2008, 05:37:15 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 27, 2008, 05:17:06 PM

You could always play online with people to get those extras.

You know, I keep forgetting that.  Shows that I really think of LBP (and platformers in general) as single player affairs.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: December 27, 2008, 05:45:41 PM »

I played your level.  The genericness consumed my soul.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 27, 2008, 06:01:10 PM »

I haven't read back in the thread -- are there some must-have user created levels I need to search for in-game?    Maybe I should look back in the thread.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 27, 2008, 06:13:54 PM »

The MGS levels are absolutely brilliant!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: December 27, 2008, 07:01:32 PM »

You can check out the LBP news in-game for some level recommendations.  We actually don't have a big list of must plays.  However, I've been going through and hearting levels that are pretty good, same for others.

Also, you can check other sites like neogaf, they have pretty good lists of levels.

Right now I've been working on acing each level and collecting everything.  I actually aced the last level of LBP which got me a really, really cool costume.  Acing the Jalapeno explosives based levels were a pain, especially the Serpent Temple since there's the boss fight at the end.

I'll start checking the levels more often and make sure to heart only the good stuff.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 07:04:54 PM by Turtle » Logged
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: December 27, 2008, 10:12:59 PM »

If it's been $40 I have missed it each time.  Every time I go on to look for it I can never find it on sale.   It will some day.  $29.99 is my magic amount for this game.  That would be heavenly.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 27, 2008, 10:34:29 PM »

This game is worth more than $60 in my opinion.   It's sheer brilliance.

Btw -- there is an ocean level and one based on Dead Space that are awesome.

Btw2 --  my gamertag for the PS3 is msduncan.     Please add me and we'll hook up in LBP and also be able to see each others' hearted levels.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 27, 2008, 10:38:28 PM »

Yeah, the Dead Space one is in-freakin-credible for recreating Dead Space.  It's pretty amazing.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: