http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 01:58:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [ps3] littlebigplanet (& lbp/psp) impressions...  (Read 24924 times)
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 12, 2008, 06:55:35 PM »

What's a fridge magnet search popit?  Is this when you've clicked on the console where you can choose story or cool levels?  Is it once you get into the cool levels?  Is it before you even click on the console and you just click to pull up your popit?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 12, 2008, 07:15:58 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 12, 2008, 06:55:35 PM

What's a fridge magnet search popit?  Is this when you've clicked on the console where you can choose story or cool levels?  Is it once you get into the cool levels?  Is it before you even click on the console and you just click to pull up your popit?

It's in the pod computer, under Cool Levels, under Search.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 12, 2008, 07:22:48 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 12, 2008, 07:15:58 PM

Crazy, I have looked there...must have missed it somehow.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 12, 2008, 08:26:53 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 12, 2008, 07:22:48 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 12, 2008, 07:15:58 PM

Crazy, I have looked there...must have missed it somehow.

It really is easy to miss.

Hey, as far as those grab and pull-out stairs go, can someone at least point me to a level that has a good example?

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: November 12, 2008, 09:13:52 PM »

There's a few in those Snake Temple themed levels.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 13, 2008, 02:20:21 PM »

Thanks, T!

However, I didn't find any in Snake Temple (they had the kind that pop up after using a two-way switch).  Anyone see any in another level (story or user-generated)?  I'm looking for the stairs where you grab a chunk of foam, walk backwards, and turn a wall into stairs.  I've seen them a few times, but now I can't find one.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 10:56:42 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: November 14, 2008, 12:43:06 AM »

If you can't find an example tonight, I'll make you one and send it to you.  They're pretty easy to make.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make one of those walking elephant things on my own.

Anyone know some good methods for positioning pistols at perfect 90 degree angles?  I have parts of my levels that involve using a piston to control timings of switches, but the game isn't saving it correctly so they end up hitting the sides of the chamber they're in and breaking.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 14, 2008, 04:41:12 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 14, 2008, 12:43:06 AM

If you can't find an example tonight, I'll make you one and send it to you.  They're pretty easy to make.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make one of those walking elephant things on my own.

Anyone know some good methods for positioning pistols at perfect 90 degree angles?  I have parts of my levels that involve using a piston to control timings of switches, but the game isn't saving it correctly so they end up hitting the sides of the chamber they're in and breaking.

I actually found the example right where you said it'd be.  There's an earlier level called the Serpent Temple (I think it's the one right before opening the Snake Temple series of levels), that's why I was confused.

I've made the stairs, but I cannot get them to slide when pulled.  Am I missing something really obvious?

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: November 14, 2008, 09:48:45 AM »

Keep in mind that all materials have friction, so if you've made the stairs out of a high friction object and it's resting on another they'll be hard to move.

Also check and make sure that you didn't accidentally glue it together, to the ground, or make it one piece.

My little cousins all love the Serpent Temple series of levels, they're one of the more amazing series of levels out there.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 14, 2008, 01:34:03 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 14, 2008, 09:48:45 AM

Keep in mind that all materials have friction, so if you've made the stairs out of a high friction object and it's resting on another they'll be hard to move.

Also check and make sure that you didn't accidentally glue it together, to the ground, or make it one piece.

My little cousins all love the Serpent Temple series of levels, they're one of the more amazing series of levels out there.

They're definitely not glued together, I've tested that they can be separated.  I've tried cardboard, foam, wood, and floaty material.  I even built a platform out of wood to put under them, thinking it was sticking to the material that the default floor is made out of.  I feel like this should be easy, but it's becoming a royal PITA.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 14, 2008, 10:23:46 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 14, 2008, 01:34:03 PM

They're definitely not glued together, I've tested that they can be separated.  I've tried cardboard, foam, wood, and floaty material.  I even built a platform out of wood to put under them, thinking it was sticking to the material that the default floor is made out of.  I feel like this should be easy, but it's becoming a royal PITA.
Are you sure that the top section is not weighing down on the rest and is rather attached to the background or something similar?

It's too bad we can't take screenshots to try to help each other.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 15, 2008, 01:34:02 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on November 14, 2008, 10:23:46 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 14, 2008, 01:34:03 PM

Are you sure that the top section is not weighing down on the rest and is rather attached to the background or something similar?

I do think it's a weight issue, somehow, but none of the parts is attached or connected to any of the others.  I'm using the lightest stuff possible, though.  Maybe it is friction.  I honestly don't know.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 15, 2008, 03:43:33 AM »

Ever heard of a camera? Tongue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 15, 2008, 05:50:29 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 15, 2008, 03:43:33 AM

Ever heard of a camera? Tongue

Aren't those for taking funny pictures of cats so they can haz capshuns?

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: November 15, 2008, 12:35:20 PM »

Love the new downloadable Motorstorm costume for $1.99.  Cute as hell with that dirt bike helmet and chest protector.  Funny stuff.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 15, 2008, 12:38:21 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on November 15, 2008, 12:35:20 PM

Love the new downloadable Motorstorm costume for $1.99.  Cute as hell with that dirt bike helmet and chest protector.  Funny stuff.

they are milking your wallet, man.. .;-)

A new one
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 23, 2008, 09:06:34 PM »

Honest to God, I'm still trying to work on these motherf'ing stairs.  I have tried nine different ways from Sunday to get it to work.  It seems like it's so basic, yet it just doesn't work.  It's basically a series of rectangles with the bottoms cut out and a little nub in the top that fits into the cut-out section of the piece above it.  Cardboard seems to be the lightest material, and it requires a sponge on the front of the bottom stair.  I've even tried hiding a chunk of the pink floaty foam at the back of each section to make it lighter, but that doesn't work, either.  Am I supposed to be using pistons or something?  These f'ers don't move AT ALL.  I've had directly on the floor and I've built platforms for them to slide on - wood, glass, more cardboard - no go.  I've made triply sure that nothing is attached to anything.

If anyone finds a tutorial anywhere to show me what I'm missing, I'd love to see it.  I've spent hours on this one damn thing.  Grrrrrr-rrrrr.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 23, 2008, 11:33:11 PM »

Bullwinkle, here's what I figured out.

The stairs are just the cardboard boxes, as we described above.

However, they seem to be attached to a rail type of system in the background where each stair is mounted on a material that runs very evenly between two rails of ice, meaning they will move very swiftly when touched. Check out the Dancer's Temple to see what I mean. You can pull the stairs out and see the two or three "rails" behind the stairs when you pull them out.

I think that should work for you. If not, I can try my best to work it out and send you a copy of the object and/or level.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: November 23, 2008, 11:39:51 PM »

Oh yeah, I forgot that the back of the stairs have to stay level, with physics they'd just fall without any support.

Oh and I think you can copy developer levels into your moon so you can pick apart their levels.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 24, 2008, 01:38:45 PM »

Thanks, guys.  I figured there had to be something going on in the background. 

I didn't know you could copy levels to the moon.  If I can just copy a set of stairs and tweak from there, that would save a lot of hassle.  Is that possible?

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: November 25, 2008, 01:26:00 AM »

Hm... well, you could copy the developer level with stairs to your moon, then go into edit mode and use the Capture Object to capture both the stairs and its support structure, then take that into an empty level plop it down and edit it from there.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 25, 2008, 04:29:07 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 25, 2008, 01:26:00 AM

Hm... well, you could copy the developer level with stairs to your moon, then go into edit mode and use the Capture Object to capture both the stairs and its support structure, then take that into an empty level plop it down and edit it from there.

I do know about capturing, I'm just wondering if there aren't restrictions against using developer bits wholesale in your levels.

Edit to Add:  Okay, I've looked around.  I can't figure out how to get developer levels onto my moon.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 08:20:17 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 11, 2008, 02:43:29 PM »

Well, I've spent weeks on these damn stairs.  I'd hate to think of the time spent trying to put it together.  Finally, I just gave up and, using some dissolve material and a button, I now have them drop in from above.  It actually worked out really well.  Of course, as soon as I'd finished and moved onto the next part, I found the exact kind of stairs I was looking for in, sitting there available as an item in the poppit.  I laughed until the tears were all gone.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: December 11, 2008, 02:52:18 PM »

Oh you poor thing.  Didn't I say there was a set of those stairs as a prize?

Now make your level so I can play it!  Tongue

Oh and, are you using the Grids?  When making anything that requires very exact fits and movements from parts, such as the supports for those stairs, use the grids.  I was having a ton of problems getting this piston, box, and magnetic switch setup working consistently since the I couldn't get the pistol aligned at a perfect 90 degrees, it would always end up off slightly and the friction and impact would eventually destroy the whole thing.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 11, 2008, 03:05:12 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 11, 2008, 02:52:18 PM

Oh you poor thing.  Didn't I say there was a set of those stairs as a prize?

Now make your level so I can play it!  Tongue

Oh and, are you using the Grids?  When making anything that requires very exact fits and movements from parts, such as the supports for those stairs, use the grids.  I was having a ton of problems getting this piston, box, and magnetic switch setup working consistently since the I couldn't get the pistol aligned at a perfect 90 degrees, it would always end up off slightly and the friction and impact would eventually destroy the whole thing.

I am using grids.  Usually they work great and are very helpful.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 17, 2008, 01:36:54 PM »

My first ever level is up.  Now in (somewhat) private beta.  Or, really, (entirely) public beta.

There are still some things to tweak, but it's playable.

Also, my first comment was "Hilarious," but that may have been from someone here.  Since late last night 5 people have played and called it "Fun," "Funky," "Hilarious," "Satisfying," "Short," and the ever-popular "Single Path."

EDIT: In the time it took to write that sentence, 5 more people have played it.  That's kind of cool.

EDIT AGAIN:  I realize I should have given the name of the thing.  It is called "Generic Level!"  Right now, it is labeled as "Generic Level! BETA"
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 04:49:48 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 19, 2008, 04:09:28 PM »

time to reboot lbp, i'm thinking:

images/info on mgs costume/level packs here (available next week smile )...

edit: now with (absolutely amazing!) trailer...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 04:38:47 PM by semiconscious » Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 19, 2008, 04:42:29 PM »

That video is awesome.  Very cool that we get some more new levels.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 19, 2008, 05:29:14 PM »

I think my wife may have bought me this game for Christmas.  paranoid

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 19, 2008, 05:32:55 PM »

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: December 19, 2008, 05:46:57 PM »

They detailed the whole thing on another post.  6 levels, 5 costumes, new gadgets like the laser pointer, plasma ball hazard, and, of course, the Paintinator.  The paintinator also has its own switch gadget so you can trigger things when shot with paint.  I don't think it does anything to other sackboys, besides cover them in paint, but I'm sure there'll be fun versus levels involving shooting targets to drop people into hazards.

I'm hoping they do a creature back that gives designers more control over creatures, not just the simple stuff we have now.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 05:50:03 PM by Turtle » Logged
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 19, 2008, 05:55:32 PM »

i <3 lbp smile ...

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 19, 2008, 06:40:35 PM »

Wait, so it actually includes levels? Now that's interesting.  I may have to pick that up for $6.  I'd like the Laughing Octopus costume, but I don't think I can justify $2 for it.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 19, 2008, 06:56:33 PM »

My question with these mini expansion packs would be can you still play levels that were created with the new objects if you don't own the pack?

If not it could be annoying trying to figure out which levels could be played and which could not.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 19, 2008, 06:58:43 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 19, 2008, 06:56:33 PM

My question with these mini expansion packs would be can you still play levels that were created with the new objects if you don't own the pack?

Yes. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 19, 2008, 07:01:09 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 19, 2008, 06:58:43 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on December 19, 2008, 06:56:33 PM

Yes. 

Cool.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: December 19, 2008, 07:36:25 PM »

Paintballs everywhere!  Let the foam run red with the paint of sackboys!

Er, sorry, just looking forward to what designers come up with.

Also, they just released, or will release soon patch 1.7 which, among other things, updates the level searching allowing you to search for levels by higher star count or most hearted, etc...  Oh yeah, it also adds a LittleBigStore within LBP.

edit:  Looks like they are separate.  So it's a bunch of outfits for $2, $6 for the pack of outfits plus Raiden (which can't be bought separately), then there's the $6 level pack with the really meaty content that's worth getting.  However, I think those outfits will be the first pack I buy of them.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 07:47:13 PM by Turtle » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: December 19, 2008, 08:01:34 PM »

ok, that's pretty damn cool.  i missed out on amazon's sale last week, but i will be keeping my eyes open for a sale.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 20, 2008, 05:29:04 AM »

LBP's new, improved search engine is up!

maccwerk
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 20, 2008, 04:36:09 PM »

Any word on whether the new patch addresses the 1080i scaling issue?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: