http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 08:54:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [ps3] littlebigplanet (& lbp/psp) impressions...  (Read 24902 times)
Starshifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2008, 02:13:29 PM »

I really have to get myself going with my PS3 other than watching Blu Ray movies.  I have Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank and Eye of Judgement sitting there unplayed since I bought them.  Well, played a little Ratchet.  Now I'm interested in this title.  I just can't get myself going with the PS3.  Part of the issue is that the XMB (aka Dashboard?) is confusing as hell.  But, more importantly here's the solution:  I think I need more people on my friends list.  It motivates me when I see what games other people are playing.  I only have Depward on my list.  That's one half of the SDF here at GT ( Tongue  icon_wink)

All you PS3'ers please send friend requests to Starshifter so I can get moving with my PS3!  Underlined for emphasis.  thumbsup

I love platformers and this one looks to be a lot of fun.  I can't wait to join in with you guys.  Does LBP support trophies?

Thanks.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2008, 02:19:33 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on October 27, 2008, 02:13:29 PM

All you PS3'ers please send friend requests to Starshifter so I can get moving with my PS3!  Underlined for emphasis.  thumbsup
 Does LBP support trophies?

Thanks.

I will add you later.  As for trophies, yes it has them.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2008, 02:19:37 PM »

Thanks, Grue!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2008, 02:20:54 PM »

Me adding you won't help, as you'll just see me watching Blu-ray movies all the time too.  Though I suppose I'll be playing LBP (though it wouldn't surprise me if Fallout on the 360 sucked up most of my time for a while).

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2008, 03:34:49 PM »

word is the servers are up smile ...

edit: confirmed!...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 03:36:54 PM by semiconscious » Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2008, 05:20:18 PM »

Yep, they're up.

As a note to creators, if you're trying to make a playable level, start out by turning on the grid an working on just the grid with simple shapes to block out your level.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2008, 05:27:34 PM »

Yep, they are up.  Gamestop code still not working.  Might require waiting until the store is up Thursday.

I took the advantage of trying immediately after the servers were up to get some trophies like being one of the first to play a level.  I also used some of the trophy levels that get you trophies quick.  Many people's incredible heights ones don't work (maybe they changed the required height), but I finally found a level that got me high enough to work.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2008, 06:21:03 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 27, 2008, 05:27:34 PM

I also used some of the trophy levels that get you trophies quick.

hehheh... same smile . also played some old beta favorites: shadow of the colossus v2, god of war (very slick), & the short ico demo. having also just had a taste of the 4th world, i'm thinking a number of the community levels will be a bit more kid/noob-friendly than the ones in the game, which only get nastier as you go along (huge props to anyone who manages to 100% lbp smile )...

seriously addicted - i'm pretty much forcing myself to stop playing. no way this can't be my choice for goty. all praise to media molecule...

edit: gaf community list of best beta levels:

Great Overall Level (rated A for amazing)
A boy and his cube by yogh_wayne
All Quiet on the LittleBigPlanet by winnie91
Aztec 21 (W.I.P) V.2 by Mik2121
Death and all his friends - GAF by Danielsan88
DinoLand by Celozia
GAF - Epic Sledge Mania! v.90 by deepbrown
GAF Hype Train beta 0.1 by tarinus
Hollow Bastion by DavisTheDarkest
Jetpack Over The Moon by TurboMan
Jurassic Playground by MurderDeathKill7
LittleBigDonkeyKong by Dragnet
LittleBIG Ninja Warrior by Burning_Out
LittleBig Sky Pirates! v. 2.0 by slickant
LittleGAFAdventure by roxya
Little Big Colossus .v2 by Danielsan88
Little Big UNCHARTED by HeadWind
No Surprises by HappyBivouac
Operation Sackeater by Syroc
Ruins by doctorbashir
Tower Ride by BleedPSN
Welcome to Pleasantville by DoctorBo42
World of Colour! by geosautus
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 06:34:58 PM by semiconscious » Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2008, 07:20:48 PM »

I haven't messed with the online part yet to see how downloading and playing levels actually works, but I think it'd be cool if they did a "shuffle" mode where the game would just drop you in a random, highly-rated user created level while downloading the next one in the background. Anything they can do to make you spend less time browsing and downloading and more time playing would be a welcome addition in my planet.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2008, 07:24:26 PM »

I do believe there's a quick-play option I need to test what it does though.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2008, 07:44:20 PM »

Official Playstation blog says that codes for God of War stuff should be working tonight (as well as the Heavenly Sword one for those who preordered wherever that one was available).

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2008, 07:51:03 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on October 27, 2008, 07:20:48 PM

I haven't messed with the online part yet to see how downloading and playing levels actually works, but I think it'd be cool if they did a "shuffle" mode where the game would just drop you in a random, highly-rated user created level while downloading the next one in the background. Anything they can do to make you spend less time browsing and downloading and more time playing would be a welcome addition in my planet.

the community levels load in 15-20 seconds (or less) on average...

JodoKast
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2008, 07:56:41 PM »

I haven't followed LBP at all, so I apologize if this is a stupid question.  Does anyone know if there have been many levels built specifically for the younger audience?  I have a 5 yr old and I can see this being fun if people made levels that only used the jump button or something with different kiddie type themes.

Gamertag : NJ Devilfish
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2008, 08:06:25 PM »

Quote from: JodoKast on October 27, 2008, 07:56:41 PM

I haven't followed LBP at all, so I apologize if this is a stupid question.  Does anyone know if there have been many levels built specifically for the younger audience?  I have a 5 yr old and I can see this being fun if people made levels that only used the jump button or something with different kiddie type themes.

afa specifically, i'm not sure, but i know from experience that there're a number of pretty simplistic community levels. maybe you should write media molecule & suggest this? - it's actually a great idea, & would be a nice addition to the game, to have a 'zone' or something for kid-oriented community levels...

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2008, 08:08:31 PM »

By the way, for those who don't know and were complaining about the rating system of levels, they added a ranking system of 1-5 stars you can rate a level.  The one thing I don't like, though, is that if you play the same level twice, it makes you rate it again.  Once you give it a star rating, you can then assign the word to it, but you also have an option to skip that part.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2008, 08:13:28 PM »

codes are live - just downloaded kratos & nariko smile ...

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2008, 08:16:40 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on October 27, 2008, 08:13:28 PM

How did you get both?

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2008, 08:30:10 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 27, 2008, 08:16:40 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on October 27, 2008, 08:13:28 PM

How did you get both?

long story short, when i bought the guide a few days ago at gamestop, the friendly clerk just gave me a kratos one 'because you're a good customer' smile ...

Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2008, 08:50:16 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 27, 2008, 08:08:31 PM

By the way, for those who don't know and were complaining about the rating system of levels, they added a ranking system of 1-5 stars you can rate a level.  The one thing I don't like, though, is that if you play the same level twice, it makes you rate it again.  Once you give it a star rating, you can then assign the word to it, but you also have an option to skip that part.

I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious here, but how do I see what rating a level has? I don't see it on any of the level information pages icon_confused

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2008, 10:08:32 PM »

Quote from: Elenkis on October 27, 2008, 08:50:16 PM

Quote from: The Grue on October 27, 2008, 08:08:31 PM

I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious here, but how do I see what rating a level has? I don't see it on any of the level information pages icon_confused

I was about to post that the level rating system is great news.  I do hope the ratings are available when looking for a level, though (and that you can search for ratings or maybe rating/word combos).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2008, 12:41:25 AM »

Good God is everything to do with online slooooooooow....

Very disappointing, but typical of this system.

I wish someone at Sony would let me pay them $50 a year so I could get something that works!!!!
 icon_mad

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2008, 01:01:49 AM »

Yeah, the online stuff freezes up my PS3 for like 30 seconds at a time. If I join a level, it'll be about 3-6 minutes of freezing.
What's going on?

I got #6 on the skateboard race! I was impressed with myself. I'm sure my record will stand for 6, maybe 7 minutes!

PSN ID: EduardoX
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2008, 01:05:15 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on October 28, 2008, 01:01:49 AM

Yeah, the online stuff freezes up my PS3 for like 30 seconds at a time. If I join a level, it'll be about 3-6 minutes of freezing.
What's going on?

I got #6 on the skateboard race! I was impressed with myself. I'm sure my record will stand for 6, maybe 7 minutes!

it comes and goes.   When it first went live, everything was pretty smooth.  I played later and it started doing that.  In fact, it wasn't even showing any levels out there.  It got better again, though.  Haven't played in a couple of hours, though.  I am sure they will get it all smoothed out.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2008, 01:18:20 AM »

have 100%ed the first 3 worlds:

Spoiler for Hiden:
with aceing the skulldozer being about the hardest part...

Quote from: The Grue on October 28, 2008, 01:05:15 AM

Quote from: Eduardo X on October 28, 2008, 01:01:49 AM

What's going on?

it comes and goes.   When it first went live, everything was pretty smooth.  I played later and it started doing that.  In fact, it wasn't even showing any levels out there.  It got better again, though.  Haven't played in a couple of hours, though.  I am sure they will get it all smoothed out.

yeah, this's how the beta was at times. if it's messing with your in-game level playing, try logging off psn...

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2008, 02:36:18 AM »

I skipped Fallout 3 for the night (at least for now...) and played a good amount of LBP.
I mostly played around making a level, and I'm not that excited that I have to go through so many tutorials to make anything. Luckily, the tutorials are as fun as the game.

This will probably be one of my most played games if my interest keeps as high as it is now, and if the community levels stay as good as the ones I've played so far. I found one that was a really well built basketball game with jetpacks and a working score board. That was REALLY cool. It reminds me of all the modes people made with Worms and its sequels.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2008, 04:40:42 AM »

Picked this up today but every time I start it there's "an error connecting to the PlayStation network" or some such. What's up with that? Friend of mine has had the game since Saturday and has yet to be able to connect online.  mad

Edited to add: I see from the official forum that there are problems.

Server Status

The LittleBigPlanet servers have been experiencing significant problems throughout the past 24 hours affecting the online game experience. We are working round the clock on the solution to the current issues and we expect the service to improve briefly for the next few hours, after which we will be disabling the servers to enact changes.

Offline Play and Create will still function properly during any disruption. Please accept our apologies for any frustration this may cause for the time being. As soon as we have further information on this matter we will update you accordingly.

And...

To confirm, the issue is with the servers and the game. More precisely the way the game interacts with the servers, however that's just splitting hairs. Solving the problems will take a little while to do, and the resolution of this issue may happen incrementally rather than going from the current state (when the servers aren't down) to everything operating smoothly, but we've identified the problems and solutions are being worked on.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 05:15:41 AM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2008, 08:45:22 AM »

Im freaking loving this game aside from not being able to get online with it, like many. Im sure soon enough it should be up and running good. In the mean time, lots of story stuff and create stuff to do! And the wife loves it!
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2008, 01:51:22 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on October 29, 2008, 08:45:22 AM

Im freaking loving this game aside from not being able to get online with it, like many. Im sure soon enough it should be up and running good. In the mean time, lots of story stuff and create stuff to do! And the wife loves it!

i'm surprised how far my wife gotten into the game (just started the fifth world), & how well she controls her sackgirl. still trying to collect everything, but i've given up on aceing the levels at this point: waaay too hard! smile ...

hope the server problems get cleared up soon...

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2008, 03:01:21 PM »

Amazon's finally decided to ship me my copy, so I should have it on Friday.  If it wasn't for the $10 gift card they were giving me, I'd have picked it up at Best Buy already.  At least there's Fallout.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2008, 12:22:10 PM »

It seems there's a new patch out and it also seemed to have address the server issues.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2008, 01:29:12 PM »

Thanks for all the friend invites!  I added all of you.  I think I have about 8 friends on my PS3 list now.  I'll be getting LBP very soon as soon as my $25 gift code arrives from Amazon.

XM Channel 76
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2008, 01:30:20 PM »

It seems there's a new patch out and it also seemed to have address the server issues.

Hooray!!!

icon_neutral

Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2008, 01:54:39 PM »

I played through the first world last night. Love the physics and even the floaty controls. I imagine this game is a hoot multiplayer, so I'll friend some of you up.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2008, 02:20:43 PM »

I picked it up on Devil's recommendation.

I don't even know how to work the friends list.  I'm not even sure what my ps3 name is.

It's becoming quite obvious I bought the system to play one game (The Show).  It's about time I broaden my horizons with the ps3 I think.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2008, 02:38:31 PM »

Yeah - I'm not too sure on the friends list either. You guys should just add me.

Chances are, whatever you want to do online won't work anyway, but we can give it a shot!

(Yes I'm still bitter about everything that has anything to do with getting online with a PS3 sucks)

Frogstar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2008, 03:09:58 PM »

I was skeptical about this game.  I'm not a big platformer fan -- the last one I got into was the third Mario for the SNES. 

Having said that, I am enjoying Little Big Planet immensely.  Especially playing with my son (9 years-old) and daughter (7).  The goofy levels and realistic physics make for some funny deaths.  Also, as maddening as it is to me, I enjoy watching my son laugh hysterically while he tries to stick the huge peacock feather to my sackboy while I'm trying to complete a level.

Here's my question -- does Sony intend to keep adding new levels with unlockable stickers, costumes, props, etc.?  Finding all the goodies is, by-far, the most enjoyable part of the game for me.  I hope there's more stuff to get down the road.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2008, 03:25:06 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 30, 2008, 02:38:31 PM

Yeah - I'm not too sure on the friends list either. You guys should just add me.

Chances are, whatever you want to do online won't work anyway, but we can give it a shot!

(Yes I'm still bitter about everything that has anything to do with getting online with a PS3 sucks)

Devil - sent you a friends invite last night.  Slived?  Wow, that's original.  icon_razz  I should have went with Retfihsrats.  Lockdown should have gone with Nwodkcol.  icon_wink

XM Channel 76
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2008, 03:53:44 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 30, 2008, 02:20:43 PM

I picked it up on Devil's recommendation.

I don't even know how to work the friends list.  I'm not even sure what my ps3 name is.

It's becoming quite obvious I bought the system to play one game (The Show).  It's about time I broaden my horizons with the ps3 I think.

agreed smile ...

if there's anything that's caught me by surprise about lbp, it's the difficulty level - from right around the 4th world on, the game starts becoming pretty damn challenging (for me, anyway), &, combined with the limited number of lives, co-op with a noob starts to involve uber-hand-holding (as in, eventually, for some sections, controlling both sackboys yourself) just in order to clear the level, never mind score the goodies (just finished the first level of the sixth world)...

still as impressed with the game as ever, & personally enjoying the challenge - i'm just kinda surprised mm chose to go the route they did (& think jodokast is really on to something, re: kiddie levels - lbp would really benefit by having a special (tagged?) area of the community levels dedicated to 'doable' levels, for younger players / noobs to muck around in - they're there, but you pretty much have to track'm down yourself right now)...

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2008, 04:03:07 PM »

My copy is sitting in a UPS warehouse ~20 miles away, and won't be delivered until tomorrow, because Amazon decided that preorders made well in advance should totally be sent out after preorders made a week ago.   disgust

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2008, 04:13:31 PM »

Devil - sent you a friends invite last night.  Slived?

Yep - Devil and Devils were taken.

I'll check tonight!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: