http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 07:03:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [ps3] littlebigplanet (& lbp/psp) impressions...  (Read 24957 times)
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2008, 03:06:52 PM »

made it thru 2 levels of the second land, & it's all i hoped it'd be:

having played the beta, & gone over each level so far numerous times in order to get everything, i'm finding sackboy pretty easy to control at this point - he's floaty, but it suits the overall ambiance of the gameworld, & you do get a feel for it after a while. the levels are more challenging than i thought they'd be, but only if you're trying to score all the goodies...

co-op is just awesome, & the game really shines when playing with someone else (this's as cool a 'date game' as any i've ever played - definitely has something going for it that wii bowling/tennis don't really approximate), & the respawn points make the game pretty forgiving, letting less experienced players screw up without feeling bad about it...

i'm finding this to be the ultimate 'fourth wall' game. because of the presence of the creator aspect, i find myself looking at the levels in a way i wouldn't ordinarily - i'm not just admiring them, i'm picking them apart, & appreciating the construction from the viewpoint of understanding how 'make-able' they are. it's definitely weird (&, imo, uniquely enjoyable) to be both in the game (via sackboy, who, because of the customization, is a surprisingly powerful avatar), & outside the game at the same time...

if shadow of the colossus was, among other things, a meditation on boss battles, lbp is a meditation on (& tribute to) 2-d platformers (&, to an extent, gaming itself). it's not perfect (what game really is?), but it takes gaming somewhere it's never gone, & does it in a charming enough way that just about anyone can have some fun with it. it's not a game you try to beat - it's a game about getting there being all the fun smile ...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 04:45:21 AM by semiconscious » Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 03:18:24 PM »

Wow, very cool impressions, semi. Thanks!

Ruining language with my terrible words.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »

info on media molecules' new littlebigworkshop...

edit: &, for those of us that still believe in reviews, lbp's a 95 on gamerankings & metacritic...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 04:18:32 PM by semiconscious » Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 08:42:28 PM »

&, yes, there will be some new user-created levels available as soon as the servers are up smile (monday?)...

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 10:36:02 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on October 25, 2008, 03:06:52 PM

(this's as cool a 'date game' as any i've ever played - definitely has something going for it that wii bowling/tennis don't really approximate),

After the game is over you can ask her if she wants to meet the 'real' sackboy...
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 01:04:23 AM »

just finished the first level of the third world (very cool!), still going slowly, & trying to get everything - tho aceing these levels is getting pretty damn challenging already, for me, anyway - & wanted to mention again how forgiving the game is if you're playing with less experienced gamers: as long as one of you is good enough to get to the next respawn point, everyone's covered. that said, lbp gets pretty damn nasty pretty fast smile ...

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 12:57:09 PM »

Only 6 posts in a thread on one of the most anticipated games of the year.  Wow.  I would expect hundred withing 24 hours of release.   Man, just too many games at once I think. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 01:10:17 PM »

So would I. However, it hasn't been officially released yet. icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 01:44:07 PM »

Right.  Mine and most people's copies won't be available until Tuesday.  Hell, the servers for the online elements aren't even on.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 01:56:15 PM »

Oh, my bad.  I saw people posting a few impressions and was wondering what the deal was.  God, if it is next week when Fallout 3 comes out and then the next week with Resistance and Gears-LBP is gonna get buried.  Little sackboy will have some hoops to jump through to be seen in that chaos me thinks.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 02:04:12 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on October 26, 2008, 01:56:15 PM

God, if it is next week when Fallout 3 comes out and then the next week with Resistance and Gears-LBP is gonna get buried.  Little sackboy will have some hoops to jump through to be seen in that chaos me thinks.

Yup. Why I absolutely and totally HATE this time of year - every publisher on the planet demands that their games launch during this three month timespan and no other time of the year (like say summer, when all the kids are out of school).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 02:55:22 PM »

Oh, my bad.  I saw people posting a few impressions and was wondering what the deal was.  God, if it is next week when Fallout 3 comes out and then the next week with Resistance and Gears-LBP is gonna get buried.  Little sackboy will have some hoops to jump through to be seen in that chaos me thinks.

fear not. when the shooting dies down... & the smoke clears... sackboy will be there for you smile ...

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 02:56:14 PM »

Yeah, having it launch alongside Fallout is going to be bad.  Of course, the original release date was against Fable 2, but at least that was a 360 exclusive.  

I'm actually passing on Resistance 2 for a while because of everything else.  That week I'll be picking up Gears 2 because there's some people from work I'll be playing co-op with.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 03:28:00 PM »

I got to the 3rd world yesterday.  As much as I thought the first world was cool, I loved the 2nd and 3rd worlds even more, especially the 3rd one (so far).  I tried using my Gamestop code to get my God of War costumes, but it didn't work  Maybe on Tuesday when the game is officially out?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 03:34:35 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 26, 2008, 03:28:00 PM

I got to the 3rd world yesterday.  As much as I thought the first world was cool, I loved the 2nd and 3rd worlds even more, especially the 3rd one (so far).  I tried using my Gamestop code to get my God of War costumes, but it didn't work  Maybe on Tuesday when the game is officially out?

When you say 'world' are you talking about levels?  A new level?  Or is a world made up of multiple levels? 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 03:36:00 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on October 26, 2008, 03:34:35 PM

Quote from: The Grue on October 26, 2008, 03:28:00 PM

When you say 'world' are you talking about levels?  A new level?  Or is a world made up of multiple levels? 

I am using the term world to denote a section of the planet that has its own theme and multiple levels.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 05:54:10 PM »

I just left Gamestop and the sales guy was handing out LBP to preorder folks.  Was it slated for today?  I did not have one preordered so I didn't get one, but was just curious.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2008, 05:57:08 PM »

I got mine from Gamestop yesterday.  Not sure how they justified giving them out before Tuesday, but I got my call from Ashley on Friday night telling me to get it yesterday and so I did.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 06:22:43 PM »

There is no more street date for LBP.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 06:54:35 PM »

I sincerely doubt LBP is going to get lost because of those titles as it is appealing to a far different demographic.  It will get lost to hardcore gamers, however.

I strongly feel that sackboy is going to become the new face of the PS3 and LBP is going to sell Sony some systems.  I plan to buy one next month, in fact, due to this game and the fact I need a bluray player.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 07:06:07 PM »

Yeah I got my pre-order from Gamestop yesterday. The whole family is hooked already.

My wife is the type of person who has to collect every single bolt / weapon / etc in Ratchet & Clank - so I think this game is going to be like crack for her. She's already becoming obsessed w/ finding and placing the stickers in all the various places in the games.

Although we're encountering some social issues w/ the co-op play. Maybe other people know the answers:

1. So it seems that any points that are gathered are shared between both players. But it looks like collectible objects (i.e. stickers, decorations, etc) are specific to the person that picks them up. (hard for us to tell because I had gotten a lot further in single player - but that belief has caused some "mini-fights" between us as to who should be allowed to pick up objects.

2. In the videos I saw before-hand, there's supposedly a way you can hit/slap each other. The manual mentions using the right stick but no other details. I've tried everything i can think of and still can't seem to make it work. Was it removed from the final game?  
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2008, 07:10:17 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on October 26, 2008, 07:06:07 PM

But it looks like collectible objects (i.e. stickers, decorations, etc) are specific to the person that picks them up. (hard for us to tell because I had gotten a lot further in single player - but that belief has caused some "mini-fights" between us as to who should be allowed to pick up objects.

I can confirm this as well.  I wish they would have made them go to everyone because my son and my wife were rushing around getting stickers I already had and were fighting over them.  I would accidentally pick some I had up, as well, which wasn't helping.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 07:11:27 PM »

From the official Playstation Blog:

Looks like a lucky few LittleBigPlanet fans have started to receive their copies over the weekend. We wanted to provide a quick update for the those eager to get online. Whether you want to start playing with your friends, sharing your creations online or getting your mitts on the pre-order goodies… hold tight.

Looks like our production line churned out new copies quicker than our original schedule, and a few of our retailers did what they could to take care of the fans who pre-ordered ASAP. If you’re one of those, take advantage of the headstart by unlocking all the goodies on the disc and start PLAYing and CREATEing and check back here or on the LittleBigPlanet News Site (really, really) soon for updates on the server and pre-order redemption status.

Exciting times ahead…

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2008, 07:19:51 PM »

I'm kinda glad.  I've been having trouble getting the firing mechanism for my Victorian steampunk airship to work.  It worked flawlessly the first time I created it, but every time I save it and reload it goes all wonky.

I've switched to working on the steam tank and infantry.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2008, 07:54:50 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 26, 2008, 07:10:17 PM

Quote from: DarkEL on October 26, 2008, 07:06:07 PM

But it looks like collectible objects (i.e. stickers, decorations, etc) are specific to the person that picks them up. (hard for us to tell because I had gotten a lot further in single player - but that belief has caused some "mini-fights" between us as to who should be allowed to pick up objects.

I can confirm this as well.  I wish they would have made them go to everyone because my son and my wife were rushing around getting stickers I already had and were fighting over them.  I would accidentally pick some I had up, as well, which wasn't helping.

when my wife & i do a level together that neither of us's done before, we both get whatever goodies either of us finds. when i've already gone thru a level, & i then replay it with my wife, everything re-appears, but she still gets everything either of us finds. i'd always understood that the competitive part of the game had to do with the 'point' balls, but everyone playing got the goodies found. i've gone back in on my wife's account to ace levels for her, & she absolutely does have stuff that i got when we played together - it's not there in the level anymore...

that's been my experience so far, unless that's changed? - i just patched the game this morning, & we haven't played together since...

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2008, 08:26:31 PM »

I was playing prepatch and it did not share the goodies out.  My son only had the goodies he picked up and my wife only had the ones she picked up.  If I already had them before and I got them again, they were wasted.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2008, 10:45:30 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 26, 2008, 08:26:31 PM

I was playing prepatch and it did not share the goodies out.  My son only had the goodies he picked up and my wife only had the ones she picked up.  If I already had them before and I got them again, they were wasted.

too weird - is it because there's more than 2 people, maybe? i'll give you a specific example of how it's worked with me (which won't be a spoiler for you):

Spoiler for Hiden:
near the start of the first level of the wedding world, there's a drop into an area with a bounce skull, & 5 springy swings way up top, & there're some goodies in a blackened area to the left that you have to swing to get to. with both of us playing the level for the first time, i swung over & got'm...

when i went back solo, under my wife's account, she had those goodies - i never had to re-do it (they showed as point balls), & she's now 100% complete for the level without ever personally getting'm...

seriously, i have no idea why we're having such completely different experiences this way...

okay, just asked on gaf (where the lbp thread's a bit busier than this one smile ), & word is, they're shared (or supposed to be, anyway)...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 10:50:44 PM by semiconscious » Logged

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2008, 11:08:50 PM »

Well, then I have no clue how it is that my wife and son didn't share the stickers  and outfits they got.  It happened, though, because we were all disappointed.  For instance, my wife had the zebra head and my son had the tail.

Now, when I checked it was in level...maybe it only shares once you finish the whole level?

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2008, 11:15:42 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 26, 2008, 11:08:50 PM

Now, when I checked it was in level...maybe it only shares once you finish the whole level?

ahh! - now that sounds possible. easy way to find out, eh?...

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2008, 11:58:01 PM »

Another possibility is that you have to be a certain distance from it to share?

For example, the bubbles change color depending on who is closer.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2008, 01:21:00 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 26, 2008, 11:58:01 PM

Another possibility is that you have to be a certain distance from it to share?

For example, the bubbles change color depending on who is closer.

no, that's got nothing to do with it (from my experience, anyway) - if someone gets it, no matter where, it's everyone's (once you've finished the level, anyway)...

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2008, 01:36:57 AM »

Well, that's sensible.  It gives people a reason to work together to grab those hard to find items.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2008, 03:30:19 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 27, 2008, 01:36:57 AM

Well, that's sensible.  It gives people a reason to work together to grab those hard to find items.

like i said, the way i understood things, the competitive aspect of the game's limited to the points - having people actually fight over the goodies would definitely put a damper on something that's just supposed to be (& is) a wacky, silly good time (&, yeah, it'd require people doing the little co-op sections to do them twice, which'd make no sense at all)...

so,... when do we get to check out your airship? smile ...

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2008, 05:45:51 AM »

There's a problem where the whole airship falls apart if I use it in Play mode, but in the create mode it's solid.

I've narrowed it down to the way I was anchoring it to the ground with dissolve material so it wouldn't float until someone grabbed one of the controls.  However, it doesn't bode well for when the ship in in flight.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2008, 05:47:06 AM »

I picked this up yesterday which marked a momentous occasion... the first time in my life I've ever been glad to have preordered from Gamestop.  icon_eek icon_lol

The gameplay is good but not quite great, yet I've found myself glued to it all weekend. The short little levels are like popcorn that you want to just keep chomping. The controls are mostly tight and responsive but occasionally they feel a little off, mostly due to the plane switching which can be confusing or frustrating.

I haven't tried co-op yet but my 5 year-old daughter had fun watching me play and my wife even paused to appreciate it which she rarely does with video games. The game is bursting with enough charm and style to win over just about anyone. Great narration and opening video and killer soundtrack. My Patch by Jim Noir and Atlas by Battles have been among the highlights so far.

It's true what semiconscious says about the meta experience of appreciating how the level was built while you play. A big part of the fun of working through the game is seeing just how much they (you) can pull off with this robust construction kit. It's definitely a cool creativity platform and I'm interested to see how it develops. I still haven't tried the editor but I'm enjoying collecting stuff to use when I finally dive in. It's been nice to have a headstart to focus on the single player game before the servers go live.

The levels get more and more fun and impressive as you go, starting especially with the Metropolis and Ninja worlds. It's also more fun once the challenge gets kicked up a notch. There's some really clever, wacked out stuff in there. I think people will be surprised to see that the editor can do a lot more than just standard 2D platforming.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 05:54:39 AM by rrmorton » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2008, 06:03:19 AM »

I'm at the last level.  Holy heck, the last 3 levels are hard, filled to the brim with electricity hazards that kill you in one hit.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 07:30:16 AM »

So does anyone know if the voice com works well or not? I am so looking forward to this. Online should be fun!
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2008, 01:24:52 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on October 27, 2008, 05:47:06 AM

The gameplay is good but not quite great, yet I've found myself glued to it all weekend.

agreed - it's pretty fundamental (which, for co-op & noob sake, is a good thing). for me, it's the gorgeousness/cleverness of the environments, the character customization, & the scavenger hunt aspect that elevate lbp's pre-built levels into the realm of seriously addictive gaming...

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2008, 01:39:11 PM »

I have what may be stupid co-op question and multiple player questions:

2) How do you set up a second profile if, let's say, you want to have 2 different profiles competing for high scores?

1) To play co-op do you just fire up the second controller and go?

Haven't tried these yet, just wanted to know if there's any pre-setup involved.

Thanks!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2008, 01:58:23 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 27, 2008, 01:39:11 PM

I have what may be stupid co-op question and multiple player questions:

2) How do you set up a second profile if, let's say, you want to have 2 different profiles competing for high scores?

1) To play co-op do you just fire up the second controller and go?

Haven't tried these yet, just wanted to know if there's any pre-setup involved.

Thanks!

2) You need to do this in the XMB.  It's the far left option  and if you scroll up, there should be an option to create a Profile.  In other words, you are creating Playstation profiles, not LBP ones.

1)  Yep, just turn on a controller and it will come up asking to pick a profile to assign to it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: