http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 08:27:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] Lair available to purchase...today?  (Read 7450 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2007, 09:05:19 PM »

This video gives me hope:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxPKXfRRNAY

I will spend time with it (finally) today biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2007, 09:07:16 PM »

They won't nerf the remote play feature.  The PSP actually has a large install base, so adding more interoperability between the PSP and PS3 could add more sales.

They're experimenting with connectivity where you use the PSP screen and controls for a different kind of gameplay in the same games.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2007, 09:43:49 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 03, 2007, 09:07:16 PM

They won't nerf the remote play feature.  The PSP actually has a large install base, so adding more interoperability between the PSP and PS3 could add more sales.

sounds like they didn't plan on letting the cat out of the bag so early, or maybe at all.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2007, 09:56:57 PM »

The above video link tries to point out that the controls really aren't that bad. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxPKXfRRNAY)

For those that haven't played, or for those wondering how to properly play, check it out.  It's a video someone has made where the camera is both on his controller and the TV screen showing exactly how the motion controls translate into on screen actions.  For people having problems with this game, this could actually show them how to play and get the most enjoyment out of the game.

Seems to me the controls work just fine in that video, and the gameplay looks quite fun.  In fact, that's how I played it at Comic-Con, slow controlled movements.

One thing to remember is that reviewers have no interest in learning anything new in terms of controls.  They just want to play through the game as quickly as possible.

For instance, my problem where I couldn't spot distant targets in the comic-con demonstration is fixed here with the Rage Vision mode shown in this video, which I didn't know about.  But that mode allows you to pinpoint distant enemies.

I think the main problem with these reviewers is that some are too accustomed to action games with nothing but instant response to their controls, just like other Shooter games.  So they'll get all antsy when the controls here handle more like steering a large beast rather than some nimble space fighter.  Trust me, watch the video.

So the problem may be that the game simply doesn't train the player enough to steer the game like you were actually steering a large lumbering dragon via reigns and rope.  And with such a realistic looking creature, they can't make it too maneuverable or else it just looks silly, as in spastically shaking all over the place kind of silly.

This is why I thought there was an agenda with how low the reviews scores have been for this big name PS3 exclusive, could this have been more PS3 bashing?  Or perhaps if there's no agenda then there's simply something wrong with the way reviewers do things?  There are crappier games out there with more control issues that have gotten 60%-70% scores, and yet Lair, which when I played I really enjoyed after learning the controls gets 50% and lower?  Something smells fishy here.

At the same time, this game, with a new control scheme that you, god forbid, actually have to learn.  Try to think, how many good, original games out there that you had to learn the controls for to get maximum enjoyment out of?

I still agree that the game should have given you the choice to choose an analog stick control mode.  But to me, the game seems more like a Action Fantasy Dragon Rider Simulation than the dragon just being an allegory for some futuristic vehicle like in Panzer Dragoon.  I have a suspicion that some casual gamers who aren't accustomed to hyper sensitive controls and inertia-less characters, who then learn the controls via flight training will have a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 10:12:15 PM by Turtle » Logged
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2007, 10:00:54 PM »

Turtle, definitely, and I'm glad I saw the video before I finally pop it into the PS3 today.  I'll be jumping in knowing how to play.

TheMissingLink on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2007, 10:29:15 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 03, 2007, 09:56:57 PM

At the same time, this game, with a new control scheme that you, god forbid, actually have to learn. 

we're gamers.  we don't want to learn!

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2007, 10:40:41 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on September 03, 2007, 10:00:54 PM

Turtle, definitely, and I'm glad I saw the video before I finally pop it into the PS3 today.  I'll be jumping in knowing how to play.

Read Penny Arcade's impressions, and change your mind  icon_wink
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2007, 11:36:56 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 03, 2007, 09:56:57 PM

I have a suspicion that some casual gamers who aren't accustomed to hyper sensitive controls and inertia-less characters, who then learn the controls via flight training will have a lot of fun.

that's me you're talkin' 'bout... & that is pretty much why i don't have a problem with lair's controls - they're just part of the game for me, much like the gameplay in sotc was just part of the game. &, while i can understand someone not being interested in bothering to learn how to play a game with somewhat different gameplay (or, if you're a reviewer, being pissed off because you have to play the game anyway), i'm not so sure that that in itself makes the game crap, eh?...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2007, 02:29:58 AM »

So I've played 4 stages...

I like it so far.  The only time I had a real control issue was in the last stage, but I was freaking out, and herking and jerking.  Once I calmed down, I got back to it okay.  I think it controls just fine.

We'll see how it holds up, but eh, I don't get all the hate...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2007, 02:42:57 AM »

Yep, and just so that you guys don't think I'm talking out my ass, I have played the game through several missions, and even then it was a non-final build.  I seriously don't get all the hate.  This game, is at worst, a 65-79 range to me.  I'd rank it in the 75-low 80s to from my playtime with the game.

Hell, I don't trust penny arcade simple because those guys are, very much, the kind of people that wouldn't learn the controls and then get all pissy about it.  They've got a vested interest in being as snarky and "Edgy" about games, not to mention these guys are definitely long time gamers.  This isn't a bash against their character, it just simple is what they represent themselves to be online.

Yeah, sure, so let them patch in some analog stick controls.  In fact I do think it was a bad decision not to include them.

But at the same time, we'd probably get the same control complaints because the dragon will still have inertia in its movement.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2007, 02:52:53 AM »

Well Turtle if you took the time to read the Penny Arcade comments you'd actually see that Tycho levels his main complaints at the game's construction itself. It'd bad enough that you have to be "trained" on how to control the game, but the game is boring enough to begin with.

Controls aren't the only problem in Lair, though, so altering the controls wouldn't represent a complete solution. You're using those controls to accomplish frustrating, unimaginative, sometimes enigmatic tasks.  People will forgive a good game its indulgences if they feel they're being met halfway, and one never gets that impression here.  You may find yourself in disbelief an hour into it, the Electronics Boutique receipt crumpled in your fist, trying to correlate Lair's non-stop torrent of anguish and your missing sixty bucks.

I would never ask you to take my word over your own experience, though, and you'll certainly find those online who will bolster you in your choice to purchase. There are some who derive a kind of perverse superiority from their mastery of the game's ambiguous mechanics.  For my part, I don't give a good Goddamn if someone has trained themselves to eat shit and like it. The game is not challenging, it's difficult to play, and it's taken many years but I'm ready to begin making this distinction.

I think I agree with Tycho is that you shouldn't have to "get it". It should just come naturally in terms of controls. See "PN 03" from last generation, it too had fans who "got it" but that doesn't mean it wasn't a fairly boring game with unintuitive controls, and lackluster gameplay.

So no I don't think reviewers are bashing the game or the system, quite the opposite, I think they are giving stark and honest opinions on the quality of the title. Go read the reviews and not the scores and you'll see that controls are only the beginning.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2007, 03:31:29 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 04, 2007, 02:42:57 AM

Yeah, sure, so let them patch in some analog stick controls.  In fact I do think it was a bad decision not to include them.

But at the same time, we'd probably get the same control complaints because the dragon will still have inertia in its movement.

I think the problem is coming from that with using Sixaxis controls, you honestly don't know if you've turned the controller as far as the game will 'let' you. If you used the analog stick, you'd know instantly if you're turning as fast as the game allows.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2007, 04:13:53 AM »

There are some who derive a kind of perverse superiority from their mastery of the game's ambiguous mechanics.  For my part, I don't give a good Goddamn if someone has trained themselves to eat shit and like it. But the game is not challenging, it's difficult to play, and it's taken many years but I'm ready to begin making this distinction.

what's weird is, lair wasn't the only dragon game i got last week - i also got monster hunter freedom 2. & damn if there aren't a few people who feel the exact same way about that series smile ...

take a chill pill, pa...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2007, 11:36:04 AM »

I wonder if Lair could turn out to be like Gothic.
People complained bitterly about how awful the controls were in Gothic,
but I absolutely loved them. There was nothing wrong with the controls,
the real problem was a lack of documentation.

Interestingly, we've sold most of our copies and none have come back,
unlike, say Two Worlds.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2007, 01:08:53 PM »

i was reading this gamefaqs thread last night, & damn if it didn't turn out to be right - today's ps3 update basically makes the sixaxis controls noticeably more responsive (just ran a practice course to check). strange, but true...

makes me wonder about the real reason for the month delay after the game went gold... & just how bad the review copies that went out were...

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2007, 01:19:45 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on September 04, 2007, 01:08:53 PM

makes me wonder about the real reason for the month delay after the game went gold... & just how bad the review copies that went out were...

That's interesting considering that if the game held to it's planned release date it would be coming out today right when the update hit.  Kind of weird that Sony approved lifting of the street date early without trying to push through the update early too. 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2007, 02:36:21 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 04, 2007, 01:19:45 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on September 04, 2007, 01:08:53 PM

That's interesting considering that if the game held to it's planned release date it would be coming out today right when the update hit.  Kind of weird that Sony approved lifting of the street date early without trying to push through the update early too. 

i've read that today is the release date, & that gamestop/eb got an exclusive on early release?...

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2007, 05:18:12 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on September 04, 2007, 02:36:21 PM

i've read that today is the release date, & that gamestop/eb got an exclusive on early release?...

From what I heard from my Gamestop is that some other chain broke the date, and since there wasn't a 'hold until' notice on it (and they're gotten in their copies early), they were allowed to sell it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2007, 07:17:57 PM »

Well, I'm on level 9 and I really like the game. I'm not going to lie and say there haven't been a few times I couldn't get the dragon going where I wanted (the fast turnaround is really hard to pull off). But in general, the game deserves a score in the 70's or low 80's.

It's not a giant turd burger. I've had some real fun playing it.

One thing I think is happening is it plays EXACTLY like one of the Factor 5 star wars games, and shares the same flaws. you can't just zip through from beginning to end without replaying some levels. You NEED to reaplay those early levels until you get silver or gold or you WILL get stuck a few levels in.

Who here loved rogue leader? I really liked it, but the same gameplay flaws are there. Sometimes the mission objective isn't clear, and the sheer amount of shit going on makes it hard to tell where your target should be.

I know when I play rogue leader if I don't make a silver or better on a level when I beat it, odds are I need to play that level again a few times before advancing to the next.

Lair is the same way, if you barely scrape by passing a level, you aren't going to make it through the next one.

Also, for some unknown reason you don't unlock the training missions until several missions in. I'm wondering if there are people reviewing it who haven't done the training?

At any rate, I agree that it's weird to need training before you can play a game, but I personally have had just as many control issues trying to fly planes with joysticks. it would take me hours to get the controls down well enough to fly with any accuracy, and it's no different with the motion controls.

So I liked it. And I'm playing it. And I will replay it until I get gold on most of the levels.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 07:24:40 PM by somoflange » Logged

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2007, 08:00:14 PM »

Quote from: somoflange on September 04, 2007, 07:17:57 PM

Also, for some unknown reason you don't unlock the training missions until several missions in. I'm wondering if there are people reviewing it who haven't done the training?

i unlocked'm all after the first mission - each one you do unlocks another (12 in all)...

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2007, 08:12:10 PM »

Yikes I just read the review at IGN for this.  I don't have a PS3, but I was wowed by the kiosk demo I saw in CC.  Too bad it's not regarded as well as the Rogue games.  Those were really fun and enjoyable, IMO.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2007, 11:02:54 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nchD7t5Doos&NR=1

Check out this stunning, high quality, but most of all, professional review of Lair for a complete grasp of what this game has to offer.  I found it rather enjoyable once the reviewer starts playing and trying to review at the same time. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 11:06:02 PM by mikeg » Logged

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2007, 11:30:11 PM »

That's the link of the day.

"SON OF A BITCH!"

"The controls are... DAMMIT!"

I've got to send this guy a copy of my product for youtube review.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2007, 12:48:08 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on September 04, 2007, 11:30:11 PM

That's the link of the day.

"SON OF A BITCH!"

"The controls are... DAMMIT!"

I've got to send this guy a copy of my product for youtube review.

we need more rerviews like that!!!  that's how every GT review should be from now on!  nod

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2007, 01:06:18 AM »

Well, he does a pretty bang up job reviewing Gears of War, too.  smile

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2007, 01:18:08 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 04, 2007, 08:12:10 PM

Yikes I just read the review at IGN for this.  I don't have a PS3, but I was wowed by the kiosk demo I saw in CC.  Too bad it's not regarded as well as the Rogue games.  Those were really fun and enjoyable, IMO.

I think the Rogue games got a +2 for use of the license.  Outside of the controls it sounds like Lair is a carbon copy of them so if you can get past the control scheme there is a good chance you would really like it.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2007, 01:31:11 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 05, 2007, 01:06:18 AM

Well, he does a pretty bang up job reviewing Gears of War, too.  smile

Wow, that could be ME doing that review and it'd be pretty much the same.

Except I am more profane.

gellar
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2007, 03:29:00 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on September 04, 2007, 11:02:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nchD7t5Doos&NR=1

Check out this stunning, high quality, but most of all, professional review of Lair for a complete grasp of what this game has to offer.  I found it rather enjoyable once the reviewer starts playing and trying to review at the same time. 

for someone who hates the sixaxis, he's pretty damn good with it...

very cool smile ...

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2007, 03:45:30 AM »

Quote from: Turtle
This is why I thought there was an agenda with how low the reviews scores have been for this big name PS3 exclusive, could this have been more PS3 bashing?

I think you've got it backwards: all of the PS3 bashing to date has just been leading up to this opportunity to finally bash their real target: Lair.  It's well known that the liberal videogame media has a long-standing bias against Factor 5's games, and they've been willing to savagely attack Sony's entire console in their rabid quest to bring them down.

-Autistic Angel
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2007, 08:07:50 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on September 05, 2007, 03:45:30 AM

This is why I thought there was an agenda with how low the reviews scores have been for this big name PS3 exclusive, could this have been more PS3 bashing?

I think you've got it backwards: all of the PS3 bashing to date has just been leading up to this opportunity to finally bash their real target: Lair.  It's well known that the liberal videogame media has a long-standing bias against Factor 5's games, and they've been willing to savagely attack Sony's entire console in their rabid quest to bring them down.

-Autistic Angel

Friggin' commies.  Tongue

Sandwiches do fix everything.
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2007, 03:31:37 PM »

So speaking of control issues. Has anyone figured out a way to reliably do a 180 turn?

It's honestly the ONLY control I hate. I think a portion of the problem lies with their absolutely dreadful depiction of the controls. WTF does "pitch up" mean?

I have found moving straight up seems to work better than straight up and towards me a bit. Even then I am still only successful maybe 3 out of 5 times.

I've mastered the downward dash, but the 180 seems like it should have been handled with a button. It seems to be a common complaint.

Anyone have any advice on reliably handling this move?

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2007, 03:50:55 PM »

I kinda scoop forward, and I've found it works pretty well.

There was one time in particular I was like "Oh, come on!" when I kept speed dashing instead Tongue

TheMissingLink on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2007, 04:23:15 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 05, 2007, 08:07:50 AM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on September 05, 2007, 03:45:30 AM

-Autistic Angel

Friggin' commies.  Tongue

just wait until he goes off over Halo 3 getting perfect scores  Tongue

Because I can,
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2007, 05:25:06 PM »

just wait until he goes off over Halo 3 getting perfect scores

As bad of a game reviewer as that guy is, I actually find myself agreeing with a lot of his basic comments about Lair, Gears, and Halo.

I will say this, his reviews are at least entertaining.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2007, 06:38:24 PM »

Quote from: somoflange on September 05, 2007, 03:31:37 PM

It's honestly the ONLY control I hate. I think a portion of the problem lies with their absolutely dreadful depiction of the controls. WTF does "pitch up" mean?

Is there a "Pitch Slap" move? If there is, I'm Purdy Much Sold on this game. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2007, 10:00:58 PM »

yeah. I can't say I haven't considered "pitching across the room" instead.

I went home at lunch though, and scooping forward does work. Thanks! I was able to do it pretty smoothly on the first shot time after time.

I'm now thinking the documentation of the controls is the biggest flaw. how about some videos of people doing it in the extras section?

I have had the same problem with the folklore demo when wrestling with some of the bigger bosses. I just don't know how I'm supposed to get the rhythm down to smack the bosses down.  I think the wii has it right because in general the game stops and shows an animation of the gesture i nthe training levels. a quick flash in the upper right while you're playing does not cut it.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2007, 03:46:00 PM »

OMG!  Lair has Hot Coffee!

go the the cheat menu and type in 686F7420636F66666565

the code is case sensitive.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2007, 05:13:02 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 06, 2007, 03:46:00 PM

Care to tell us what this does exactly for those who don't have it?

Actually, I found out exactly what it does: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24535.html  eek icon_lol
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 05:21:16 AM by Destructor » Logged

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2007, 05:35:17 AM »

Word is that this was a joke to the ESRB reviewer who got a list of all media in the thing, to which he had to watch.  They cleverly snuck in this video, named it hot coffee for the ESRB reviewer to find.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2007, 05:52:56 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 07, 2007, 05:13:02 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 06, 2007, 03:46:00 PM

Care to tell us what this does exactly for those who don't have it?

Actually, I found out exactly what it does: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24535.html  eek icon_lol

dude!  NSFW! NSFW!!!!!!  icon_lol

Because I can,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: