http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 05:03:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] Hot Shots Golf 5  (Read 3145 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2007, 04:16:35 AM »

Pretty impressive!

« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 04:19:38 AM by Hetz » Logged

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 05:09:49 AM »

Maybe I'm just not impressed with graphics these days, but that doesn't look all that spectacular to me.

gellar
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 05:16:31 AM »

It looks fine but that's not the point.  The Hot Shots series has always been about stylized, anime-ish graphics.  Giving the game ultra-detail just makes it kinda weird.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 05:17:34 AM »

Quote from: warning on February 23, 2007, 05:16:31 AM

It looks fine but that's not the point.  The Hot Shots series has always been about stylized, anime-ish graphics.  Giving the game ultra-detail just makes it kinda weird.

Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm going to buy and love the game (most likely).  I loved the PSP version.

gellar
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 06:04:13 AM »

If by "impressive" you mean "meh" then you're dead on.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 06:16:20 AM »

The backgrounds look solid.

The characters get a distinct "meh".

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 07:25:31 AM »

Those realistic backgrounds with the realistically shaded anime characters makes me think of those people who dress up in those freaky full body anime doll suits.

Seriously, there's a point at which the full on big head small mouth look no longer works.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 09:38:38 AM »

I hope they'll do a PS3 version of Hot Shots Tennis after HSG5, as it doesn't look like the PS2 version is going to get a US release  icon_cry

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 10:29:23 AM »

how come its called hotshots in america?...for me thats a charlie sheen film

its called everybody's golf here in the UK

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 10:43:06 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 23, 2007, 10:29:23 AM

how come its called hotshots in america?...for me thats a charlie sheen film

its called everybody's golf here in the UK

For me, it's a gay bar in Monroe, LA.  What a great name for a gay bar.  I don't know that Hot Shots is any better or worse than Everybody's Golf.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 12:23:52 PM »

I think technically this looks very nice, but the anime over the top theme has about run its course with me.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 12:33:30 PM »

Tough crowd...
Looks great to me.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 01:01:29 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on February 23, 2007, 12:33:30 PM

Tough crowd...
Looks great to me.

Heh, same here.  icon_smile

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 01:03:21 PM »

Yeah looks good dude, dont get me wrong, I am buying it-release date info?
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 01:04:22 PM »

I think the realistic courses look great, I am not a fan of the characters. I am also not a big fan of putting realistic looking anime characters into a very realistic game world. It doesn't look right. Here specifically it really does look like the people who dress up in full doll suits playing golf. Just because you can do ultra-realistic it doesn't mean you should.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 01:05:55 PM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 03:26:19 PM »

yeah, if you're going to do anime style characters you might as well go akll the way with the backgrounds too.  Personally play Wii Golf has spoiled me so I can't see getting any golf game on any other console (or did they make it so you could use the SixAxis the same way?)

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 03:30:03 PM »

Quote from: gellar on February 23, 2007, 05:09:49 AM

Maybe I'm just not impressed with graphics these days, but that doesn't look all that spectacular to me.

gellar

Same with me. It doesn't look any better than some of the Tiger Woods 2007 stills, and TW doesn't have the bug eyed characters. Never could get into the Hot Shots Golf games, it's just a sport I want to play with pros, not enormous eyed cartoon characters.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 03:35:25 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on February 23, 2007, 01:01:29 PM

Quote from: Misguided on February 23, 2007, 12:33:30 PM

Tough crowd...
Looks great to me.

Heh, same here.  icon_smile

Hetz, Solitaire on the PS3 would look "great" to you.  slywink

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 03:36:16 PM »

Quote from: jblank on February 23, 2007, 03:30:03 PM

gellar

Same with me. It doesn't look any better than some of the Tiger Woods 2007 stills, and TW doesn't have the bug eyed characters. Never could get into the Hot Shots Golf games, it's just a sport I want to play with pros, not enormous eyed cartoon characters.

See, I'm exactly the opposite.  I could never got into the games with the pros, and enjoyed playing a ultra-simple golf game with goofy anime characters.

HS5 would be a day one purchase for me...if I was able to afford a PS3.  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 03:38:26 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 23, 2007, 03:36:16 PM

gellar

See, I'm exactly the opposite.  I could never got into the games with the pros, and enjoyed playing a ultra-simple golf game with goofy anime characters.

Different strokes I guess, but to me, Golf is one of those games where familiarity adds to the experiences. Being able to compete in Tournaments against Tiger Woods, or Jack Nicklaus back the earlier games, added something to it, as does the ability to play on real courses. I hate anime with a burning passion, so to me, that "style" in Hot Shots Golf, is a distraction.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 03:48:51 PM »

Quote from: jblank on February 23, 2007, 03:38:26 PM

gellar

Different strokes I guess, but to me, Golf is one of those games where familiarity adds to the experiences. Being able to compete in Tournaments against Tiger Woods, or Jack Nicklaus back the earlier games, added something to it, as does the ability to play on real courses. I hate anime with a burning passion, so to me, that "style" in Hot Shots Golf, is a distraction.

Very true.  I have no connection with pro golfers, so playing against pros on realistic courses means squat to me.  In fact, the more realistic the golf game, the less I tend to like it.  The more exploding golf balls and sentient sand traps the better!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 03:50:32 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 23, 2007, 03:26:19 PM

yeah, if you're going to do anime style characters you might as well go akll the way with the backgrounds too.  Personally play Wii Golf has spoiled me so I can't see getting any golf game on any other console (or did they make it so you could use the SixAxis the same way?)
I'm sorry dude, but as fun as some of those Wii Sports games are (and yes, I have played several), there is absolutely NO comparison to the way Wii golf plays compared to a complex simulation like TW.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 03:54:43 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 23, 2007, 03:48:51 PM

Very true.  I have no connection with pro golfers, so playing against pros on realistic courses means squat to me.  In fact, the more realistic the golf game, the less I tend to like it.  The more exploding golf balls and sentient sand traps the better!

The Hot Shots series has this strange addictive quality for me.  I end up playing them obsessively.  I don't think it has anything to do with the art style.  It's pretty neutral for me.  But the game, the levelling up, the collecting aspects of it all combine to make an addictive game for me.

But sentient sand traps?  I think I've missed those.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2007, 04:15:42 PM »

Quote from: warning on February 23, 2007, 03:54:43 PM

But sentient sand traps?  I think I've missed those.

In retrospect, those were probably a Mario Golf game, not Hot Shots.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 04:16:58 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 23, 2007, 03:50:32 PM

I'm sorry dude, but as fun as some of those Wii Sports games are (and yes, I have played several), there is absolutely NO comparison to the way Wii golf plays compared to a complex simulation like TW.

I would have to agree. Wii Golf is a diversion at best, something you pick up and putt around with for a few minutes.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2007, 04:28:53 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 23, 2007, 03:50:32 PM

I tried TW and it was OK, but I've had more fun with Wii Golf.  I'm not a big sports game player (I've only bought ESPN NFL25K and some NFL 2003 game on the XBox (both of which only got about a weeks playtime) so I can happliy give up the complex simulation portion for the fun factor.  Would Wii Golf be as entertaining for me without the WiiMote controls?  probably not.  Will that make me only try sports games on the Wii?  probably not (I've been thinking of trying a baseball game, but that discussion would be for another thread).

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2007, 05:09:57 PM »

gellar

This seems to be a theme with all your sports games - do you like sports for sports, or for the famous people in the sports?

Regarding the original post - backgrounds and courses look great, but the characters look like clay-mation.  Meh for me too, although I love me my Hot Shots Fore!.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2007, 06:13:31 PM »

gellar

Same here. I'm not into pro golf at all, which is why I like the Hot Shot Golf series. I think this game is going to be a big hit. The others are very popular, so I don't see why this won't be another big seller for the PS3.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2007, 06:22:29 PM »

I like the claymation-y look of the characters here, and think it is a nice evolution of the series graphically that shows off what a next-gen system can do. The shots here are from a very "normal" looking course, probably the first or second in the game. I'll be interested to see what some of the more fantastical ones look like.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2007, 06:38:06 PM »

It looks great to me.  Then again why would it not look great?  I expect all PS3/360 sports games to look amazing.  Looking great is the minimum expectaion for games on the PS3/360 now.  The real question is what the games will bring to the table beyond the great graphics.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2007, 07:01:34 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on February 23, 2007, 05:09:57 PM

gellar

This seems to be a theme with all your sports games - do you like sports for sports, or for the famous people in the sports?

Regarding the original post - backgrounds and courses look great, but the characters look like clay-mation.  Meh for me too, although I love me my Hot Shots Fore!.

Well, for the most part, the sports games that portray the sport the best, are the ones set in the "pro" or "college" settings. Are you somehow claiming that Hot Shots Golf is a sim-like game? I have no theme other that I prefer simulation, or as close to simulation as possible, sports games, just like the majority of sports gamers out there. That is why sites like Operation Sports exist, to give simulation gamers a chance to congregate and discuss sim game stuff.  Thats why Mario Hoops doesn't appeal to me, but College Hoops 2K7 does. It's why I don't like Blitz, but enjoy NCAA Football and good versions of Madden. It's not about the people as much as it is what makes the game the most realistic, and most of the time, its the games that do have real athletes.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 07:04:04 PM by jblank » Logged

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2007, 07:02:45 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on February 23, 2007, 06:13:31 PM

gellar

Same here. I'm not into pro golf at all, which is why I like the Hot Shot Golf series. I think this game is going to be a big hit. The others are very popular, so I don't see why this won't be another big seller for the PS3.

I don't think anyone with half a brain would say it won't sell. I certainly think its gonna be a hit, but for a lot of people, its "style" is a bit of a turn off, which is why I have never cared much for the series.

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2007, 07:34:20 PM »

For years I avoided anime console golf and stuck with Mean 18 (best course designer EVER!), Links 386, Tiger Woods 2004, etc. But then I got hooked on Hot Shots for the PSP (the only PSP game I ever truly loved) and, more recently, Super Swing Golf for the Wii.

I still prefer realistic golf games, but ever since I discovered how deep and fun the Hot Shots gameplay can be (and how goofily addictive it is to play dress-up with your characters) I get excited about all different types of golf games now.

These PS3 Hot Shots characters do look a little weird but otherwise the game looks awesome and it's a definite drool-worthy title for me. But it'll be hard to go back to gamepad controls after I've had so much fun swinging the Wii remote with Super Swing Golf. (Which I still regularly play two or three times a week. It's not quite great but I still love it.)

Speaking of Super Swing Golf, I was at Gamestop a few days ago to pick up Supreme Commander and they told me I still hadn't picked up SSG for the Wii that I'd preordered and paid in full. I told him that was a mistake and that I picked it up the day it came out. He paused and said, "Well, do you want to move the money on to some other preorder?" Again I said I'd received the game I paid for, but if that was somehow easier for him and his system, then hell yeah. So I moved that money over to a Mass Effect preorder and now I like Super Swing Golf even more than I already did because I got it for free.  icon_cool

It occurs to me that if the Tiger Woods series on the PC hadn't brought nothing but suck for the last 3 years, maybe I wouldn't have had to stray over into console golf. I'm eagerly awaiting that series getting a next-gen overhaul. The Wii control will be interesting to check out. I really hope they do it well.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 07:41:39 PM by rrmorton » Logged
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2008, 10:48:36 PM »

So epic bump, but this is hilarious.  Apparently they're adding Kratos as a downloadable character --

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/08/20/kratos-to-swing-the-clubs-of-chaos-in-hot-shots-golf/
depward

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2008, 11:31:49 PM »

HSG: OoB is really an underrated game.  It's as addicting as the other HSG games... with pretty fun online too.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2008, 01:00:17 AM »

Hell yeah!  It's going to be weird hearing his VA actor talk about golf biggrin

I hope they CAMP IT UP big time!

Still working my way through this sucker - fire up the single-player every once in awhile.  It's always fun playing with dep and Calvin online.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2008, 02:50:11 PM »

I hope that Kratos unleashes Hell on the dude who keeps saying, "Hit it over there, pal."

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2008, 03:11:28 PM »

Had the best round of 18 on the European course last night using Kratos  biggrin

So, they updated some stuff online along with the new character - being able to see the best scores of people when in the same lobby as yourself, taking snapshots after rounds are over and quite a few more things that I forget what they were...

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2008, 03:44:07 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on August 22, 2008, 03:11:28 PM

Had the best round of 18 on the European course last night using Kratos  biggrin

So, they updated some stuff online along with the new character - being able to see the best scores of people when in the same lobby as yourself, taking snapshots after rounds are over and quite a few more things that I forget what they were...

I'm going to start another playthrough VERY SOON so I can re-unlock the courses so we can play online together again..

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2008, 12:07:22 AM »

Kratos is awesome.  One of the best golf characters ever....

The way he swings his Chain Driver......

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: