http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 06:37:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [ps3] heavenly sword impressions  (Read 2022 times)
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2007, 11:25:35 PM »

played thru the first (semi-tutorial) chapter. gotta work on kai's marksmanship a bit...

very pretty, very theatrical (andy serkis really does enjoy himself), & just about what i was anticipating - a solid, immersive action/adventure. works for me, on that level, a lot better than gow, mainly because there's something actually going on, character-wise, other than lots of grunting. too early to say how the gameplay compares (cool enough so far)...

the bad news is, unlike lair, hs is not remote play -friendly (damn!)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 11:32:42 PM »

Hey, when you are doen with it, say Tomorrow or by Sunday, I'll pay you fair market price smile

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 11:51:22 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on September 13, 2007, 11:32:42 PM

Hey, when you are doen with it, say Tomorrow or by Sunday, I'll pay you fair market price smile

Tomorrow?  I just hope he doesn't report back tonight telling us about the ending and spoil it for us.  I did pick it up at Blockbuster.  To my surprise they had 3 for rent and all were in.  I figured with so few games out for the PS3 that finding it for rent would be very hard for a few weeks.  At any rate, can't wait to fire it up and see the spendour.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 11:59:03 PM »

actually, the game begins at the end (but, thanks to persona 3, that's as much of it as i'll be seeing of it for a little while)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 12:45:19 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on September 13, 2007, 11:25:35 PM

played thru the first (semi-tutorial) chapter. gotta work on kai's marksmanship a bit...

very pretty, very theatrical (andy serkis really does enjoy himself), & just about what i was anticipating - a solid, immersive action/adventure. works for me, on that level, a lot better than gow, mainly because there's something actually going on, character-wise, other than lots of grunting. too early to say how the gameplay compares (cool enough so far)...

'gow' as in God of War or Gears of War?

it kind of sounds like you're talking about Gears (with the 'grunting' comment), but I really don't see why you would compare HS to a totally different type of game...Gears is just a straight out shooter.  God of War would be a much more appropriate comparison, given that it is the exact same type/genre of game as HS
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 01:08:02 AM »

When you get to the final battle(s), let me know if you need help.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 01:13:11 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on September 14, 2007, 12:45:19 AM

it kind of sounds like you're talking about Gears (with the 'grunting' comment), but I really don't see why you would compare HS to a totally different type of game...Gears is just a straight out shooter.  God of War would be a much more appropriate comparison, given that it is the exact same type/genre of game as HS

Prett sure he's talking about God of War.  IIRC he has been critical of the franchise because he can't really engage with Kratos as a character. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 03:02:09 AM »

Heavenly Sword has to have the best CGI cutscenes ever in a game, at least, that's the impression I got when I saw trailers for it at the movie theater. The chick looks so realistic, even better than that Beowulf animated movie it seemed. I remember thinking when I saw the trailer for HS and Beowulf before the movie "wow, game CGI looks better than movie CGI now!".

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 03:23:34 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 14, 2007, 03:02:09 AM

Heavenly Sword has to have the best CGI cutscenes ever in a game, at least, that's the impression I got when I saw trailers for it at the movie theater. The chick looks so realistic, even better than that Beowulf animated movie it seemed. I remember thinking when I saw the trailer for HS and Beowulf before the movie "wow, game CGI looks better than movie CGI now!".

Pretty sure it isn't CGI (at leat not in the conventional pre-rendered sense).  I think Heavenly Sword uses in-engine realtime cutscenes.  The demo certainly did. 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 03:32:05 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 14, 2007, 01:13:11 AM

Quote from: KePoW on September 14, 2007, 12:45:19 AM

Prett sure he's talking about God of War.  IIRC he has been critical of the franchise because he can't really engage with Kratos as a character. 

correct (grunt!) - what, there's lots of grunting in gears, also?!... too weird...

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 11:55:10 AM »

Well, played about 3 hours so far and I really like it.  The story, setting, acting, and ofcourse, graphics are superb.  Definitely worthy of a playthrough for that if no other reason.  The combat is satisfying in the way it looks for sure, but not so much in the FEEL of it.  I much prefer God of War in that department.  The ONLY problem with HS is the ever-so slight hesitation from the time you give a strike command and when it is carried out.  In GoW I could tell Kratos to strike four guys surrounding me front, back, side, side without feeling the slightest hesitation from the time I give the command and when he reacts.  Whereas, Nariko seems to be slower in responding.   That slower reaction time kind of spoils the effect that I am really in complete control.  I don't know.  It's hard to explain really.  Good but not great in that department.

I like it, and am really enjoying the characters, especially that little half-retard kid.  Love her.  And surprising to me, I am finding the sixaxis sections among the funnest.  Maybe that is because the other combat is primarily visually satisfying but not so kinetically enjoyable. 

Bottom line, I am glad I rented it because I can't really see me playing this more than 2-3 times before I am ready to move on completely.  Which still says the game is good, but heck, I can easily beat it in this rent and as the urge hits me rent it again a few times and only be out about $24 to be able to play it a minimum of 3 times.  And if the gameplay times everyone is reporting are true, then I can beat it maybe 2 times each rental.  When it hits the $29.99 bin I might grab it.  Will see how I feel about it by then.  Ofcourse, I say that but with Halo 3, Assasins Creed, and Call of Duty 4 coming I may never look back.

Good game though. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 01:47:10 PM by mikeg » Logged

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 12:17:50 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 14, 2007, 03:23:34 AM

Quote from: Ridah on September 14, 2007, 03:02:09 AM

Pretty sure it isn't CGI (at leat not in the conventional pre-rendered sense).  I think Heavenly Sword uses in-engine realtime cutscenes.  The demo certainly did. 

That is correct - these are in-engine cutscenes.  Impressive eh?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 03:50:05 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on September 14, 2007, 11:55:10 AM

Well, played about 3 hours so far and I really like it.  The story, setting, acting, and ofcourse, graphics are superb.  Definitely worthy of a playthrough for that if no other reason.  The combat is satisfying in the way it looks for sure, but not so much in the FEEL of it.  I much prefer God of War in that department.  The ONLY problem with HS is the ever-so slight hesitation from the time you give a strike command and when it is carried out.  In GoW I could tell Kratos to strike four guys surrounding me front, back, side, side without feeling the slightest hesitation from the time I give the command and when he reacts.  Whereas, Nariko seems to be slower in responding.   That slower reaction time kind of spoils the effect that I am really in complete control.  I don't know.  It's hard to explain really.  Good but not great in that department.

I think you explained it perfectly, because that's exactly how I felt in the demo

the responsiveness of the controls in HS is just not as fast and smooth as the Holy Trinity of action-adventure games:  DMC3/Ninja Gaiden/God of Wars.  which is pretty annoying

having said that, I actually found the base design of the combat mechanics to be pretty good, which is better than I expected to be honest.  I thought the game was just going to be all flash in that department.  but there is some true depth to the combat.  it's just too bad the responsiveness is a bit lacking (which I'm guessing is somewhat tied to the relatively low framerate)
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 07:02:02 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on September 14, 2007, 11:55:10 AM

The ONLY problem with HS is the ever-so slight hesitation from the time you give a strike command and when it is carried out.  In GoW I could tell Kratos to strike four guys surrounding me front, back, side, side without feeling the slightest hesitation from the time I give the command and when he reacts.  Whereas, Nariko seems to be slower in responding.   That slower reaction time kind of spoils the effect that I am really in complete control. 
Maybe it's because she's a girl.   icon_wink

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 10:08:55 PM »

I'm fine with it, it gives the character a sense of inertia and weight.

Those are things that aren't represented in games all that often, and to me it's fine to include them.  It makes the combat more tactical and instead of thinking of it as a glitch you have to think of it as part of the combat system as a matter of timing.  Meanwhile, in GoW and DMC the characters essentially hav no inertia or weigh, or very little, making them a bit cartoonish and over the top, but that's the kind of games they are so that's a good thing.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 10:42:37 PM »

I will say this though for what the game has to offer is it beyond a shadow of a doubt the best game for that system to date.  Now, I haven't played Lair, but I have tried out most of the others and this beats em hands down.  I actually love it.    Have played about 5 hours and I am on chapter 4.  Not sure how much is left, but it is a blast so far. 

Highly highly recommend PS3 owners give it a go.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 07:15:15 AM »

Yep.  Wow.  I can tell this'll be a short game.  But wow, what a ride while you play.

I thought the Kai sections would be tedious, but they somehow work.  She's such a great crazy character.

I do recommend turning off the motion controls for the Aftertouch shooting, it allows you to use the standard analog stick for it.  After having trouble during a rather heartbreaking shooting scene, I switched to analog stick and was acing almost all my shots.

The game plays great, looks great, and the story and acting is great.  The only downside is the length on this one.  Here's the hoping they make some add-on content and a trilogy.

I'm also on chapter 4.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 12:21:01 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 17, 2007, 07:15:15 AM

Yep.  Wow.  I can tell this'll be a short game.  But wow, what a ride while you play.

I thought the Kai sections would be tedious, but they somehow work.  She's such a great crazy character.

I do recommend turning off the motion controls for the Aftertouch shooting, it allows you to use the standard analog stick for it.  After having trouble during a rather heartbreaking shooting scene, I switched to analog stick and was acing almost all my shots.

The game plays great, looks great, and the story and acting is great.  The only downside is the length on this one.  Here's the hoping they make some add-on content and a trilogy.

I'm also on chapter 4.

I personally enjoyed (and looked forward to) Kai's Aftertouch stuff.  Once I got the hang of it, I was putting arrows in heads like it was nothing. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 05:39:45 PM »

Took it back to the rent store today.  Done with it.  I finished all but the last boss battle. Just couldn't beat him.  The difficulty just leaped for me at that point.  Other than that, I really liked it. 

Favorite character is Kai.  Favorite game parts was the Kai parts.  Awesome game character.

Can't wait for number 2.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2007, 06:53:26 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on September 17, 2007, 05:39:45 PM

Took it back to the rent store today.  Done with it.  I finished all but the last boss battle. Just couldn't beat him.  The difficulty just leaped for me at that point.  Other than that, I really liked it.

You forgot to ask Ron how to beat him. I promise you you'll throw your controller once you find out just how stupidly easy (and how it goes against EVERYTHING you've learned in videogames EVER) it is.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 07:00:36 PM »

Favorite character is Kai.  Favorite game parts was the Kai parts.  Awesome game character.

Can't wait for number 2.

You need to re-rent it.  I'll help you beat the last boss.  The ending is pretty cool. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 07:33:16 PM »

So how long did it take some of you guys to beat it?  Any replay value in it?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2007, 07:43:23 PM »

I think the reason so many people have trouble at the end battle is you can get through the entire game up to that point without properly blocking / countering an attack.

I got to that battle and realized I'd been hacking and slashing and dodging my way when I could have been elegantly blocking.

That's why I'm stoked to replay it, and I can't wait to try it in hell mode.

I personally think this game was worth every penny, and has excellent replay value. I miss the games you could play through in a couple of days, but still wanted to play again. I don't have time for 40-80 hour epics so many seem to crave.

I think I played for about 12 hours before beating it the first time, but I wasn't in a hurry. Rather than hacking and slashing to get to the end I replayed quite a few levels I thought I barely scraped by on.

Hell mode will probably take me a really long time.

I like that the base story is fairly short, but if you want to dig in and really master the game you can, and can go back to any level you enjoyed and try for perfection.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2007, 10:41:59 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 17, 2007, 07:00:36 PM

Can't wait for number 2.

You need to re-rent it.  I'll help you beat the last boss.  The ending is pretty cool. smile

Shoot me a note and tell me how cuz I just might.  I would like to see the end cutscene. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2007, 11:07:24 PM »

Hey Ron, I'm pretty much done with this game as well. Can ya give me some help/pointers on beating the last boss? Thanks  icon_wink

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2007, 11:25:56 PM »

Quote from: somoflange on September 17, 2007, 07:43:23 PM

I like that the base story is fairly short, but if you want to dig in and really master the game you can, and can go back to any level you enjoyed and try for perfection.

Unfortunately, I have never been interested in 'mastering' a game.   I wish I could do that and actually enjoy it.  I have a nephew who can play any game 200 hours and enjoy ever moment like the first.  I envy him.  I just can't do it.  Once I know what is coming, unless there is a chance the game play itself (whether fighting, puzzles, whatever) will pan out TOTALLY different each time, I just can't maintain interest. 

I think it comes down to there being way too many other games to play in conjunction with the fact that I get less than 10 hours a week to play games.  So, I have to be selective and make the most of it to experience as much as possible. 

On length, I have no accurate idea how long I spent playing through it, but it was much more than 6 hours as some tout.  I would say, for me, it was 10 or so.  Not bad for a hack n slash in my book.  Surprisingly just right actually. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2007, 12:20:37 AM »

To beat the final boss:

Spoiler for Hiden:
It is anti-Zelda last boss - simply run around, rolling out of the way if he laughs when he flies up, and then allow him to toss the blue or orange balls of energy at you.  Rather than deflecting them (like every other game) you let them HIT YOU and THEN hit the button (Triangle iirc) to deflect it back at him.  Blue is normal stance, orange is power stance.  Should go down pretty quickly. 

NOW, when you manage to score 4 solid hits he'll fall down.  Don't run in - you'll likely get 2 crappy hits on him, then he'll hit you with an unblockable red attack.  Just stick to the hit/deflect nonsense and he'll die soon enough.  Kill him a few more times and enjoy more awesome cinema.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2007, 01:17:20 AM »

On meleeing the final boss
Spoiler for Hiden:
Actually, I've been getting better at going melee with him.  I actually got into a rather long segment of fighting where I countered him 3 times in a row, although with bosses you just stop their attack chain and push him back a bit, it did allow my to hurt him bad.  I found that using two swipes with the power stand and the speed stance finisher to interrupt his unblockable attack works well.  Just so you know, when you switch between stances in the middle of a combo, there's one move that she does that finishes out the combo

Finished the game, great story.  I hope they continue it.

The ranged stance square button attacks provides more 360 degree protection, whereas the triangle tends to focus it farther forward.  This helped with crowds a bit, but I still I had a lot of trouble dealing with the crowds in this game.  But, like Andre the giant said in Princess Bride, you have to use different tactics when fighting a crowd instead of one person.

I think once this game drops in price a bit, I'll buy it just to support the developers.  It's like a good movie that you know you won't watch too often, but it's great to have in your collection.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2007, 03:15:06 PM »

Picked it up and played it a bit last night - it's just an enjoyable game.  Not life-changing or anything (or exactly groundbreaking, aside from perhaps the extremely detailed cutscene work), but just plain fun.  I'm a bit disappointed by the framerate: it's not exactly horrific, but it certainly doesn't run at its optimal performance with more than 5 baddies on screen.

But fun.  I know going in I want to just play it through and sell it / trade it away.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
depward

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2007, 07:25:53 AM »

Completed it tonight - very fun game.  Short, but enjoyable all the while.  Kai's missions were surprisingly fun...

Looking forward to a Heavenly Sword 2...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2008, 12:25:43 AM »

finally playing this (finished chapter 2 / kai's bridge mission), & it may be a notch below uncharted & r&cf, but no more than that. definitely gonna take me more than 6 hours to finish, & i'm with somoflange as far as finding it really easy to go back to sections & try different things...

maybe not the revelation it was supposed to be, but a very solid, beautiful, & challenging game (really wish the soundtrack was available)...

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2008, 12:52:13 AM »

I love so much about this game, and thus after beating it on a rental went and bought it.  Kai especially.  My favorite game character for the entire 2007 year.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2008, 02:35:11 AM »

kai is truly great, &, like some other people, i've had as much (or more) fun with her sections as with nariko's (once you get the sixaxis control down, it works very nicely for twing twang)...

biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2008, 03:02:25 AM »

Best rental ever... Tongue
Not too sure it's worth $60.00 but it was worth every penny for rental.
Can't wait for sequel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: