http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 06:27:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] Game recommendations needed!  (Read 2236 times)
Jag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2008, 01:27:09 PM »

I went back a bunch of pages, but haven't seen any recent PS3 recommendations. I took the plunge yesterday and now i'm looking for some games.

I'm not looking for in depth RPG type games. I still play WoW for that. I'm looking for some fun, easy games to play with my older son (7yr old), maybe even on the cheap or used.

My must haves:
The Show (bought it)
Rock Band
EA Hockey 08
Some kind of racing game.

Any recommendations?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 02:20:05 PM by Jag » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 01:33:29 PM »

Pixeljunk Monsters
Lego Star Wars or Indiana Jones
Burnout
Everybody's Golf perhaps?
Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 02:17:40 PM »

The only must-have titles for the ps3 imo are:
Ratchet & Clank TOD
Uncharted Drakes Fortune

Both should be playable by a 7 year old - well I don't know any 7 year olds, so don't take my word for it smile
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 02:29:22 PM »

Hit the demos on the Playstation store, there are a lot of good demos that might save you some money and keep you busy for a while

I think Ratchet & Clank & Lego Star Wars are great recommendations for playing with a kid.

Pain is also extremely fun and funny. I'll let you decide if it's appropriate, but what 7 year old doesn't like "ouch you hit my nuts" jokes?

As far as bargain bin games that are worth a shot:
Full auto 2 (15-20 bucks)
Stuntman Ingnition (20 bucks)
Motorstorm (20 bucks)
Skate (I've seen it used for 30)

All have demos and are worth looking at.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 02:30:44 PM »

The fact that it took until the third post for someone to mention Uncharted is just disgusting!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 02:32:03 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 02, 2008, 02:30:44 PM

The fact that it took until the third post for someone to mention Uncharted is just disgusting!

Hey it would've been my #1 recommendation if it hadn't been for the "play with 7-year-old" caveat.  My nominations were all games that could be played together.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 02:57:54 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 02, 2008, 02:32:03 PM

Quote from: Canuck on June 02, 2008, 02:30:44 PM

Hey it would've been my #1 recommendation if it hadn't been for the "play with 7-year-old" caveat.  My nominations were all games that could be played together.

I don't have to play ALL of them with the kid, just some slywink

I've heard very good things about Uncharted, but it looks like a cross between Tomb Raider and Far Cry.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 03:06:24 PM »

Quote from: Jag on June 02, 2008, 02:57:54 PM

I've heard very good things about Uncharted, but it looks like a cross between Tomb Raider and Far Cry.

Then try the demo, definitely.  Uncharted nails that cinematic feel so many other games have attempted, and it's one of the best games out there on any system, not just on the PS3.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 03:11:52 PM »

Uncharted is the best video game ever made.

Pixeljunk Monsters is awesome.  Easy to play, but hard to master.

Ratchet and Clank was very enjoyable as well.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 03:19:48 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 02, 2008, 03:06:24 PM

Quote from: Jag on June 02, 2008, 02:57:54 PM

Then try the demo, definitely.  Uncharted nails that cinematic feel so many other games have attempted, and it's one of the best games out there on any system, not just on the PS3.

I agree. Uncharted is a cross of Tomb Raider, Indiana Jones and Prince of Persia, with outstanding cinematics that you actually want to watch, not just skip through. It's as close as I can remember coming to 'playing a movie'. Great game!

I'll second Motorstorm since you mentioned wanting a racing game. It's pretty simple to get into and a good bit of fun (and should be bargain priced, check half.com)

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 05:38:39 PM »

Hot Shots Golf! It's like a cartoon, though it's so hard toward the end it might make you both cry.

PSN ID: EduardoX
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 05:43:09 PM »

DiRT - Racing Game

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 05:43:57 PM »

This thread is making me want to take my ps3 out of the box.  icon_eek
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 07:34:45 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 02, 2008, 05:43:57 PM

This thread is making me want to take my ps3 out of the box.  icon_eek

I actually never planned on opening the box. But then I saw I could pull the tape off without leaving a mark. So I figured I could just pull the whole thing out to look at it. Once I saw the glossy black goodness, I decided I would just see how it looked in my A/V unit. Everything after that is hazy....
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 07:41:53 PM »

you can't go wrong with Motorstorm. I love that game and I usually don't like racing games.

Uncharted like the others have said is REALLY good.

For the youngster I would definitely get Ratchet and Clank.

If you are into baseball games at all then you owe it to yourself to get MLB the Show 08.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
PointerOO
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 09:53:30 PM »

Burnout Paradise, the sense of speed is nearly as awesome as the crashes!
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 12:16:59 AM »

Uncharted!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 02:18:42 AM »

Super Stardust HD depending on how your kid handles action games.

I second Uncharted and Motorstorm.  Look for Motostorm 2 which will have split screen.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 05:42:08 PM »

OK, I'm going to try and revive this thread a bit and mold it to my purpose.

I've had a 360 since release day and Saturday I got a PS3. I also have Uncharted, what else do I need?

Looking through the recommendations in this thread I downloaded the demo for The Show. Based on the demo it looks like just another baseball game to me. What makes this one so popular, something outside fo the gameplay in the demo, the looks?

I think I need to check out the Pixeljunk Monsters demo. I don't really know what tower defense is, but I think I should figure it out.

I'm going to see if someone wants to unload GT5 Prologue cheap. $40 is too much. Similarly I'll look for Motorstorm cheap.

I've seen two golf games mentioned, Hot Shots and Everyboady's. Anyone care to comment on why I should choose one over the other?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 05:48:27 PM by coopasonic » Logged

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 05:47:38 PM »

there's this game called metal gear solid 4 you might enjoy smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 05:49:11 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on June 16, 2008, 05:47:38 PM

Jag might, there's little chance I would. I tried one of them on the xbox and was not impressed. Played less than an hour before giving up.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 05:54:18 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on June 16, 2008, 05:49:11 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on June 16, 2008, 05:47:38 PM

Jag might, there's little chance I would. I tried one of them on the xbox and was not impressed. Played less than an hour before giving up.

Dude...that's the length of one cut scene. slywink

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 05:54:37 PM »

Metal Gear Solid 4 is leagues better than the previous 3. The gameplay mechanics have been refined and truely make the game MUCH better. I would compare it to the old Metal Gears meeting Resident Evil 4 in terms of play control. So if it was the control and gameplay mechanics that turned you away before you may want to look at part 4.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 05:56:52 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 16, 2008, 05:54:37 PM

Metal Gear Solid 4 is leagues better than the previous 3. The gameplay mechanics have been refined and truely make the game MUCH better. I would compare it to the old Metal Gears meeting Resident Evil 4 in terms of play control. So if it was the control and gameplay mechanics that turned you away before you may want to look at part 4.

See, now you got me thinking. Mostly it was the cutscenes, but I started out in the middle of some ship in the ocean and had to stealth my way somewhere, I don't really remember where, but the camera was killing me, the controls were killing me, the whole experience was just killing me. I loved the Metal gear games on the NES, but I've never gotten into the Solid side of things.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2008, 06:02:31 PM »

Agreed that MGS4 is definitely a refinement of the previous three.  The biggest improvement for me has been that they've brought the combat controls in line with modern games, with an over-the-shoulder perspective, and easy to use iron sights or third person crosshair.  Also, the camera is now the same fully controllable 3rd person cam from MGS3:Subsistence (I can't imagine playing through that game with the original camera).

I was in a similar position with my new PS3 a week ago.  My pickups:

-Uncharted (still early in, but awesome)
-Ratchet and Clank (haven't tried it yet)
-MGS4 (early, but awesome)
-Eye of Judgement (haven't gotten it in yet, and probably just a novelty)

I also played a few hours of Heavenly Sword, which looks to be a pretty, stylish, and serviceable but unoriginal beat-em-up.  Pixeljunk looks nice, but it's basically just tower defense, which I can get for free on the PC.  Everyday Shooter is awesome, but I have that on the PC already.  Echochrome I might get, but haven't decided for sure yet.

Other than those, I'll probably rent Resistance, but I don't see many other games I'm actually interested in.  Good thing it plays Blurays!

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 07:47:22 PM »

I was really on the fence about MG4, but i'm not convinced about playing FPS on Consoles. It's also why I didn't wait the extra week to pick up the MG4 pack like I planned.

I currently have:

The Show
Rock Band
Uncharted

Those get enough play for now, on top of the demos like Grid, i have more than enough console play. In Sept I plan on picking up NHL 09. I may get Ratchet and Clank if I see it on special.

Right now i'm trying to figure out how to play media on my PS3, it can see my home network through Windows Media player, but i cant seem to get it to play videos, pictures or music!  tear
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 07:52:08 PM »

Right now i'm trying to figure out how to play media on my PS3, it can see my home network through Windows Media player, but i cant seem to get it to play videos, pictures or music!

You have to tell Media Player to share with the network. I forget how to set it up exactly. But there should be a spot within the media players allowing for sharing of media.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 08:06:41 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 16, 2008, 07:52:08 PM

Right now i'm trying to figure out how to play media on my PS3, it can see my home network through Windows Media player, but i cant seem to get it to play videos, pictures or music!

You have to tell Media Player to share with the network. I forget how to set it up exactly. But there should be a spot within the media players allowing for sharing of media.

I'm on Vista, when I tried to connect it said it couldn't, so I went to my PC and there was a prompt on the desktop asking if I should let the PS3 have access, I clicked Yes and that was it. All good after that.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 08:07:32 PM »

Quote from: Jag on June 16, 2008, 07:47:22 PM

I was really on the fence about MG4, but i'm not convinced about playing FPS on Consoles. It's also why I didn't wait the extra week to pick up the MG4 pack like I planned.

Metal Gear isn't a FPS.  If you can handle Uncharted you can handle Metal Gear (though I'm not sure I could recommend it to someone who hasn't played previous entries in the series. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 08:24:22 PM »

If you like racing games I'd recommend Burnout Paradise.  It is one of the few multi-platform games that was developed with the PS3 as the lead platform.  I have found the PS3 version to be much prettier than the 360 version.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 08:25:56 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2008, 09:21:52 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 16, 2008, 07:52:08 PM

I'm already shared and it plays snippets of video from my Digital Camera. But for everything else it either says 'no media found', 'unsupported media type'.

I'm trying to play music, .avi, mp3 and .jpgs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: