http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 04:24:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] Doing well in the UK...  (Read 2647 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2007, 10:42:29 AM »

sorry for the double post

i just read this,has todays date on it so i guessed it wasn't old news,and i dont know if they took this into consideration when making the 'fastest first day selling console statement'

http://www.brandrepublic.com/login/News/646182/

Sony PS3 hit by £10m in cancellations
by Gareth Jones Marketing 27-Mar-07, 08:30

LONDON - The long-awaited UK launch of Sony's PlayStation 3 (PS3) games console has been marred by the cancellation of more than £10m worth of orders from retailers and consumers.

Retail industry sources claim the electronics giant has had as many as 20,000 pre-orders of the £425 console cancelled in the run-up to its delayed launch last Friday.
There have been none of the stock shortages typical of earlier console launches and the majority of the cancelled pre-orders are believed to have come from speculators hoping to sell the units on eBay for a profit.

Virgin Megastores claims to have ordered significantly more PS3 consoles than rival Nintendo Wiis or Xbox 360s, both of which sold out within 48 hours of hitting the shops before Christmas. However, it has sold only two-thirds of the several thousand PS3s available in its UK stores.
In an attempt to generate buzz around the launch, Sony offered a free Bravia TV worth £2000 to the first 125 gamers to purchase a console.
'The launch of the Play-Station 3 has been a victim of its own success,' said Stephen Lynne, senior promotions and partnerships manager at Virgin Megastores. 'There are so many available that consumers know they can get one when-ever they want.'
Sony is understood to have made 220,000 consoles available in the UK and retailers are yet to report the supply problems that have hit the launch of rivals. However, analysts are warning against interpreting the absence of a stock shortage as a negative sign.
Production problems forced Sony to confine the console's launch to North America and Japan last November. Its European roll-out was delayed by four months, which meant it missed the key festive sales period. Many speculate that Sony will cut the price later this year to boost take-up.
'This time next week we could be saying that the PlayStation 3 has been the most successful console launch ever,' said Nick Parker, an analyst at Screen Digest. 'Take-up was always going to be slower than that of its rivals because of its higher price tag.'
The PlayStation 2 won the last round of the console wars, selling more than 115m units globally. However, the PS3 is trailing in third in this latest battle. It has reportedly sold 1.5m units worldwide, compared with 5m Wiis and more than 10m Xbox 360s.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2007, 08:12:03 PM »

I like what I see coming up in the future, and I am not talking about R&C, FF-whatever and Metal Gear I think I've played this same game 3 times before. I am talking about games like LBP and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. I think stuff like that will make PS3 more compelling, not series re-treads.

Agreed, I could give a damn about the next FF and MGS, I'm looking forward to the original upcoming releases which I've been growing more excited for.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2007, 08:21:46 PM »

Uncharted looks very good. The preview of it in Game Informer was great.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2007, 11:50:36 AM »

The BBC is reporting that over 600,000 PS3's were sold at launch across Europe.

thumbsup

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2007, 12:21:06 PM »

question:

does final fantasy 7 play on the ps3?....its just that it isnt on this list,does that mean,NO it doesn't?

http://faq.eu.playstation.com/bc/bcGames.htm?generation=PS1

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2007, 12:29:35 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 28, 2007, 12:21:06 PM

question:

does final fantasy 7 play on the ps3?....its just that it isnt on this list,does that mean,NO it doesn't?

It plays perfectly on the USA PS3 (I tested it when I first got the console). I'm not sure though about the PAL version.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2007, 12:39:43 PM »

question:

Correct - the FAQ at that link reads "If your game is not listed here, emulation is not yet supported on PLAYSTATION®3. Please check back when future PS3 system software updates are released. We reserve the right to modify the Status of any game or remove it from the list."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2007, 02:31:08 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on March 28, 2007, 12:39:43 PM

question:

Correct - the FAQ at that link reads "If your game is not listed here, emulation is not yet supported on PLAYSTATION®3. Please check back when future PS3 system software updates are released. We reserve the right to modify the Status of any game or remove it from the list."

You know, for April Fools they should remove every game from that list except for 'Barbie Adventure'.  Imagine the hilarity that would ensue! icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2007, 08:26:59 PM »

this news, and the european figures in general, made front page in the ft today
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2007, 08:44:46 PM »

thumbsup

Good! Maybe this is the thing that will start to turn the tide of negativity that has been against Sony.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: