http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 02:32:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [ps3] demon's souls impressions  (Read 32464 times)
Eightball
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: July 29, 2010, 03:37:48 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 29, 2010, 11:09:36 AM

Quote from: Jag on July 28, 2010, 01:30:22 PM

Quote from: TiLT on July 27, 2010, 09:28:28 PM

So, I've been playing this game a bit lately. My class is Temple Knight, and I'm playing him more or less by the book. That means wearing full armor and shield, and using melee weapons almost exclusively. No magic, and at soul level 37 I still only have my basic Heal miracle.

That is really impressive. Glad you are enjoying it.

I'm curious, is my play style really so rare as to be that impressive? I mean, I get the impression that the game encourages me to play the way I do, and it works really well.

It's more difficult, for sure.  I couldn't imagine not using a bow at least some of the time, as it makes your life a lot easier (and bow, not crossbow...huge difference).  Or at least some magic...like antimagic field.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: July 29, 2010, 06:30:10 PM »

So bows are much better than crossbows? One thing I like about my heavy crossbow is that I can wield it with a shield, though that's of limited use anyway since I have to stay still for a few seconds after a one-handed shot to reload. I just found a decent looking bow in 4-1, so I might consider swapping for that one if that is a good idea.

I've now killed the Dragon God (2-3) and Adjudicator (4-1). Things are progressing reasonably well. I tried heading into 1-3 as well, but that got a bit tough. Am I supposed to wait with that level until later in the game? I heard that you run into 3 Red-Eye Knights at once in that level, which sounds frightening.

Any suggestions for a good one-handed weapon that should be available to me at this point? I'm using the Crescent Falchion +1 from 4-1 right now, but since I'm not focusing on Magic, its damage output is starting to lag behind.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 29, 2010, 07:01:19 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 29, 2010, 06:30:10 PM

So bows are much better than crossbows?

you can aim/snipe (as in, go into first-person) with bows. &, just on that basis alone, they're much better...

I've now killed the Dragon God (2-3) and Adjudicator (4-1). Things are progressing reasonably well. I tried heading into 1-3 as well, but that got a bit tough. Am I supposed to wait with that level until later in the game? I heard that you run into 3 Red-Eye Knights at once in that level, which sounds frightening.

i think most people wait, but, if you're very cautious (& use a bow), it's doable earlier...

Any suggestions for a good one-handed weapon that should be available to me at this point? I'm using the Crescent Falchion +1 from 4-1 right now, but since I'm not focusing on Magic, its damage output is starting to lag behind.

never went with a character build like yours, so i'm not sure. i do know that, if your character's beefy enough, 2-handing a meat cleaver might be interesting smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 30, 2010, 03:02:18 AM »

Well, the winged spear is always a good choice, as you can attack while guarding.  

However, my primary melee weapon on my guy (who was more melee focused, but used bow/magic as well) was a long sword (then Knight Sword).  I enchanted it to Quality, so it would emphasize both STR and DEX (at a C level).  The straight swords have both a swipe attack, and a lunge, both of which can be useful (allows you to attack and damage both slashing and piercing vulnerable enemies).

And, of course, you can always whip out the Meat Cleaver 2 handed.  It's a totally ridiculous weapon.  You will need to learn to dodge, however...
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: July 30, 2010, 08:15:26 AM »

Yeah, the Meat Cleaver just doesn't work with my character, but the longsword is a decent suggestion. I'm considering going Blessed instead of stuff like Quality though, since my Faith is pretty high and the Magic damage is great for almost any enemy.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 30, 2010, 03:44:13 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 30, 2010, 08:15:26 AM

Yeah, the Meat Cleaver just doesn't work with my character, but the longsword is a decent suggestion. I'm considering going Blessed instead of stuff like Quality though, since my Faith is pretty high and the Magic damage is great for almost any enemy.

If you have high faith, then Blessed weapons make sense.  You can snag a blessed mace in 5-1.  However, a really good weapon to look at acquiring is Istarelle; a blessed spear with poison/plague resistance, and excellent stat adds for a faith melee build.  Very, very useful.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: July 30, 2010, 03:57:29 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on July 30, 2010, 03:44:13 PM

If you have high faith, then Blessed weapons make sense.  You can snag a blessed mace in 5-1.  However, a really good weapon to look at acquiring is Istarelle; a blessed spear with poison/plague resistance, and excellent stat adds for a faith melee build.  Very, very useful.

Too bad I'd need pure white tendency in world 5 to get it. I don't think that's going to happen.

The Large Sword of Moonlight looks like a decent alternative and is available through normal means in 5-2 with a bit of effort. I might try to go for that one.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 30, 2010, 06:41:33 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 30, 2010, 03:57:29 PM

Quote from: Eightball on July 30, 2010, 03:44:13 PM

Too bad I'd need pure white tendency in world 5 to get it. I don't think that's going to happen.

The Large Sword of Moonlight looks like a decent alternative and is available through normal means in 5-2 with a bit of effort. I might try to go for that one.

That works, too, but I think it may really be a 2 handed weapon.  You'd have the same issue as you would with the Meat Cleaver; ridiculously slow attack speed using it 1 handed, though at least it doesn't weigh as much.

Another option I was messing around with was a +5 Blessed Mirdan Hammer.  Though it looks like a polearm, you can wield it with 1 hand easily...and it has a real nice reach to it.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 18, 2010, 06:20:49 PM »

Server support extended to the game's second anniversary.

Oh, and on the topic of a pure white world tendency shift:

In addition to their continued commitment to the game's unmatched online functionality, Atlus also revealed plans for a Pure White World Tendency event. Starting on December 20th and running until just into 2011, the event will allow newcomers their best chance to ease into the treacherous, brutally addicting world of Boletaria while also offering hardcore gamers access to the many secrets and otherwise inaccessible paths unlocked by the tendency shift.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: December 18, 2010, 06:32:12 PM »

Does anyone know if this also applies to the European servers? I can't recall seeing any such server events here.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: September 23, 2011, 02:42:50 AM »

How does server support into 2012 grab you guys?  Pure White and Black World Tendency events coming too.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 23, 2011, 05:03:27 PM »

i have no clue what this awesomeness is that tilt and eightball are talking about, but does anyone know if all the half nonsensical options theyre mentioning (enchanting, using a particular weapon 1 or two handed, blessed, melee, str, dex specced characters, different weapon attack modes and options etc etc etc) will be carried over to dark souls?

likewise with whatever the hell a "Pure White and Black World Tendency event" is?  i missed out on demon souls but im chomping at the bit for dark and i hope it includes a lot of what youre talking about as even not understanding a lick of it, it sounds great!
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 23, 2011, 11:36:24 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on September 23, 2011, 05:03:27 PM

i have no clue what this awesomeness is that tilt and eightball are talking about, but does anyone know if all the half nonsensical options theyre mentioning (enchanting, using a particular weapon 1 or two handed, blessed, melee, str, dex specced characters, different weapon attack modes and options etc etc etc) will be carried over to dark souls?

likewise with whatever the hell a "Pure White and Black World Tendency event" is?  i missed out on demon souls but im chomping at the bit for dark and i hope it includes a lot of what youre talking about as even not understanding a lick of it, it sounds great!
I believe all of that is coming over to Dark Souls -- they even say they've expanded the crafting/enchanting -- but I don't think they're keeping world tendency, at least as it existed in Demon's Souls.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 13, 2012, 10:09:10 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on September 23, 2011, 02:42:50 AM

How does server support into 2012 grab you guys?  Pure White and Black World Tendency events coming too.

May 31st to be exact.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 25, 2012, 06:55:06 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 13, 2012, 10:09:10 PM

Quote from: Zarkon on September 23, 2011, 02:42:50 AM

May 31st to be exact.

stay of execution granted.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: May 25, 2012, 09:52:43 PM »

Glad to hear it. Online is such an integral part of that game and it would be a shame to take it away when it's still so popular.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: