http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 05:50:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [ps3] demon's souls impressions  (Read 32269 times)
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 18, 2009, 04:14:45 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on June 18, 2009, 03:35:02 PM

The worst of it all: I still haven't beaten 1-2. I guess I'm taking my sweet time.

started pretty much the same (& beat 2-1 first)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 18, 2009, 07:35:26 PM »

My copy arrived today.
I expect to die many times tonight.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 18, 2009, 07:50:17 PM »

Quote from: stimpy on June 18, 2009, 07:35:26 PM

My copy arrived today.
I expect to die many times tonight.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Thanks again to Semiconscious and Dante Rising's STD.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 18, 2009, 08:35:07 PM »

gotta admit - i'm kinda looking forward to the shit hitting the fan when western reviewers/gamers finally get to check this out in the fall smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 06, 2009, 12:17:54 AM »

Atlus has announced preorder goodies (an art book), a limited edition ($69.99 and includes a 150 page strategy guide) and the release date (October 6, same as Alpha Protocol).

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 06, 2009, 01:43:55 AM »

i can't not get this...

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 06, 2009, 02:16:09 AM »

It shall be mine...

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: July 06, 2009, 03:49:15 AM »

Anybody know if it's a direct port/translation (or just the Chinese version) or will it be 'dumbed down' in any way, shape, or form?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 06, 2009, 10:38:16 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 06, 2009, 03:49:15 AM

Anybody know if it's a direct port/translation (or just the Chinese version) or will it be 'dumbed down' in any way, shape, or form?

Atlus doesn't dumb stuff down.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 06, 2009, 01:20:48 PM »

Has any Japanese game ever been dumbed down for NA audiences?  I'm not talking about censorship.  I've heard of PC games being dumbed down for consoles, but region to region of the same console sounds like a bit of stretch.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: July 06, 2009, 01:34:37 PM »

Deluxe version with pre-order art book looks like a nice package for only an extra 10 bucks.

I"ll probably end up double dipping on this since I spent so many hours with the original. Maybe they'll squeeze some additional content in (or at least clean up the english translation a bit).
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #331 on: July 06, 2009, 02:20:46 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on July 06, 2009, 01:20:48 PM

Has any Japanese game ever been dumbed down for NA audiences?  I'm not talking about censorship.  I've heard of PC games being dumbed down for consoles, but region to region of the same console sounds like a bit of stretch.

Most definitely. The question though is if it has happened anytime recently. I don't know it has, which is why I asked. I know that Atlus has a history of releasing extremely niche games, and this really is due to the difficulty. But it seems that everybody here so loved the game...

Most definitely in for the CE. And I've actually been playing the Chinese release as it is (a friend of mine let me borrow his copy).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 06, 2009, 04:44:57 PM »

Oh, hell yeah, now I'm definitely buying this.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 06, 2009, 05:47:48 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 06, 2009, 02:20:46 PM

I know that Atlus has a history of releasing extremely niche games, and this really is due to the difficulty. But it seems that everybody here so loved the game...

The people here who loved the game were people who were willing to import the game from Asia just to play it.  That group is biased towards liking it far more than the average game buyer.

I will predict that this game sells less than 100,000 copies in the US after release.  I don't say that because I personally dislike the game.  But becuase of the type of game it is, and the relatively small install base of the PS3.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 05:49:35 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 17, 2009, 07:12:23 PM »

for anyone still on the fence (hey, we're only weeks away), a very good article from gamasutra...

You find the game rewards every ounce of effort, time and energy you invest in it, and you realize you've found something scarier than most commercial horror games, more exciting than the big action releases and boasting a more absorbing world than most RPGs could dream of...

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 17, 2009, 07:18:11 PM »

LALALALALA!!! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!! icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 17, 2009, 07:20:57 PM »

I'm so torn on getting the sweet US version.  I have the Chinese version, so really the game itself should be virtually identical, but the rest of the goodies are awesome.  Unfortunately, I doubt I'll be able to sell my current version now.  Oh well...

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 17, 2009, 07:22:32 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on September 17, 2009, 07:12:23 PM

for anyone still on the fence (hey, we're only weeks away), a very good article from gamasutra...

You find the game rewards every ounce of effort, time and energy you invest in it, and you realize you've found something scarier than most commercial horror games, more exciting than the big action releases and boasting a more absorbing world than most RPGs could dream of...

I was going to post that article. Definite love affair with the game. I am very rarely in on day 1, but I am for DS.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: September 17, 2009, 09:56:53 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on September 17, 2009, 07:12:23 PM

And it's SO true, too. DS is like nothing else currently out there. You'll learn to FEAR your opponents, as they can and will kick your ass all the way back to tuesday. And don't get me started on worrying about fellow players looking to take your soul as well...

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 18, 2009, 02:19:55 AM »

I finally looked up some gameplay videos on youtube, and I'm about 95% certain I'll be getting this, just not sure when.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 16, 2010, 02:12:18 PM »

looks like the Deoms are finally coming to Europe.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 26, 2010, 06:56:06 PM »

Yeah, I just got this... A limited edition of some sorts, with the soundtrack and a strategy guide, appearently made from the Demons Soul Wiki with a walkthrough of 1-1..just started, and as the walkthrough recommend a Royal female, thats what I'm doing right now...

I have no idea what I'm doing, but it seems to be working for me so far...

I read somewhere that someone went back to the nexus before the boss-fight...how does one do that, and why is it a good idea? And anything else I should now...

Hold me, I'm scared... :-D

A new one
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 26, 2010, 07:17:37 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 26, 2010, 06:56:06 PM

I'm scared... :-D

in boletaria, being scared's mandatory smile ...

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 27, 2010, 09:26:36 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 26, 2010, 06:56:06 PM

Yeah, I just got this... A limited edition of some sorts, with the soundtrack and a strategy guide, appearently made from the Demons Soul Wiki with a walkthrough of 1-1..just started, and as the walkthrough recommend a Royal female, thats what I'm doing right now...

I have no idea what I'm doing, but it seems to be working for me so far...

I read somewhere that someone went back to the nexus before the boss-fight...how does one do that, and why is it a good idea? And anything else I should now...

Hold me, I'm scared... :-D

i assume they say that because on your first play through you pretty much want to play in soul form. in soul form you can't be invaded by another player and when you die it wont push the world tendency to black.

royals are easier to start with because of the ring that regens your MP. however, and this could just be me, i found them extremely lacking later on. that's not to say you can't finish the game. I just found some situations they are very poor up. mainly up close combat. on the flip side you can pump points in to whatever you want and mold your character to tailor your needs.

after darksiders i'm thinking of heading into this again with a temple knight.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 27, 2010, 07:23:38 PM »

Damnit! My strategy guide said it would be a good idea to die, after killing the first boss, to avoid getting people into your world...so, I went up to a high place, and dived, and died...now, what I didnt think about, was that all my stuff, my souls and so on, and the demons soul I got, well...that was gone, simply because I could not find my body...

sigh..

so, here's me, starting all over...ARRGGH

A new one
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: June 27, 2010, 07:47:13 PM »

don't start over. the souls you got at the start are nothing.

what you want to do is after you kill a boss die in the citadel or whatever it's called. just climb the stairs and jump off. plus this doesn't affect world tendency.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 27, 2010, 07:48:26 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on June 27, 2010, 07:47:13 PM

don't start over. the souls you got at the start are nothing.

what you want to do is after you kill a boss die in the citadel or whatever it's called. just climb the stairs and jump off. plus this doesn't affect world tendency.

what about the stuff one has? I mean the demon soul thingie? Doesnt that vanish?

A new one
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 27, 2010, 07:52:03 PM »

you mean from killing a boss? Did you use it? IIRC the first boss one really isn't used for anything that good. Those you never lose when you die, if that was your question.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 27, 2010, 09:41:07 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on June 27, 2010, 07:52:03 PM

you mean from killing a boss? Did you use it? IIRC the first boss one really isn't used for anything that good. Those you never lose when you die, if that was your question.

aye, that was my question - Thanks Jersoc :-) Didnt use it, just didnt see them anywhere, but that was my own fault.

I actually redid the whole level, quite fast as well...shows that skill is rather important here... My strategy guide wants me to head into 4-1 now! ugh...and some talk about silver and black skeletons and the fact that I'll probably die, but I will get a scimitar of uberness, eh, or Crescent Falchion +1 by doing it :-) Wish me luck!

oh, and just farmed the Red Knight for 3000 points all in all - very nice! I'm enjoying this game very much right now...

A new one
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 27, 2010, 10:48:35 PM »

good luck with those skeletons for just starting out, heh.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #350 on: June 28, 2010, 04:22:52 AM »

Sounds like that strategy guide is trying to make the game unfun for you. I think I won't be following its advice when I eventually get the game.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 28, 2010, 05:59:19 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 28, 2010, 04:22:52 AM

Sounds like that strategy guide is trying to make the game unfun for you. I think I won't be following its advice when I eventually get the game.

Both yes and no - I am thinking of restarting after the strategy guide is done, since I kinda like the exploration part of games like this. That said, it has helped me a lot to understand the game, and the game IS hard to understand at first. Lots of things that arent common in the games I normally play.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #352 on: July 27, 2010, 09:28:28 PM »

So, I've been playing this game a bit lately. My class is Temple Knight, and I'm playing him more or less by the book. That means wearing full armor and shield, and using melee weapons almost exclusively. No magic, and at soul level 37 I still only have my basic Heal miracle.

So far I've defeated Phalanx, Tower Knight, Armor Spider, False Idol, and Flamelurker. In that order. I did all of them on the first try except Armor Spider and False Idol which caused my to die once each. Flamelurker was an extremely tense fight, but by keeping my head cool I managed to prevail. With the way I play my class, rolling around is out of the question, so I had to face him with my shield raised at all times, allowing him to attack me with all his might (and what might it was!). I was really dreading that fight, so to beat it on my first try was quite amazing. I could feel my heart beating fast as hell when I won.

The risk of losing everything has been a bit exaggerated in my opinion. I've only lost souls permanently once, and it wasn't a large amount. I always seem to be able to make it back to where I died so I can reclaim my lost souls.

I'm really starting to feel more powerful all the time, and it's extremely satisfying. Enemies that were really challenging at first (Blue-Eye Knight, I'm looking at you) are now mere pushovers, and enemies that were impossible (Red-Eye Knight. Hmm, I'm seeing a pattern here) now only require a little extra time and concentration.

I've decided not to raise my Magic high enough to cast spells, and instead focus exclusively on melee, a crossbow (for backup) and the occasional miracle. So far that has worked out really well for me. The only enemy that really keeps me on my toes so far is the Mind Flayer. If they can get in even one attack on me, that's usually enough for them to get into position to finish me off before I can mount a defense. Still, if I have room to maneuver all I need is enough space to dodge the first attack, at which point they'll run towards me (for reasons I can't fathom), opening themselves up to a chain of attacks that kills them before they can do anything else.

Loving the game so far. smile
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 27, 2010, 10:29:36 PM »

i was happy to see that atlus just announced they've extended the online support thru 3/11 (& turned on white world tendency till the end of the month to celebrate) - umbasa! smile ...

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: July 28, 2010, 06:18:30 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on July 27, 2010, 10:29:36 PM

i was happy to see that atlus just announced they've extended the online support thru 3/11 (& turned on white world tendency till the end of the month to celebrate) - umbasa! smile ...

My worlds aren't pure white. Is this something that is specific to the American version? I can't find any info about this anywhere.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 28, 2010, 11:53:01 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 28, 2010, 06:18:30 AM

Quote from: semiconscious on July 27, 2010, 10:29:36 PM

My worlds aren't pure white. Is this something that is specific to the American version? I can't find any info about this anywhere.

must be - sorry. the online support for the u.s. version had originally been scheduled to be shut off right around now...

Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 28, 2010, 01:20:35 PM »

what is meant by online support? The messages that we can leave in the world / online play? Or title updates?
Can you explain more?

thanks.
Roman

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 28, 2010, 01:30:22 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 27, 2010, 09:28:28 PM

So, I've been playing this game a bit lately. My class is Temple Knight, and I'm playing him more or less by the book. That means wearing full armor and shield, and using melee weapons almost exclusively. No magic, and at soul level 37 I still only have my basic Heal miracle.

That is really impressive. Glad you are enjoying it.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 28, 2010, 01:39:31 PM »

Quote from: Roman on July 28, 2010, 01:20:35 PM

what is meant by online support? The messages that we can leave in the world / online play? Or title updates?

that part...

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #359 on: July 29, 2010, 11:09:36 AM »

Quote from: Jag on July 28, 2010, 01:30:22 PM

Quote from: TiLT on July 27, 2010, 09:28:28 PM

That is really impressive. Glad you are enjoying it.

I'm curious, is my play style really so rare as to be that impressive? I mean, I get the impression that the game encourages me to play the way I do, and it works really well.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: