http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 05:04:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [ps3] demon's souls impressions  (Read 32339 times)
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 07, 2009, 02:13:35 PM »

I'm just about ready to fight the first boss. Ran back to the Nexus and quit. Hopefully tonight!

Can't say enough good things about this game so far!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
VegasD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 07, 2009, 03:02:02 PM »

Game finally arrived today from Hong Kong!
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 07, 2009, 05:57:22 PM »

OK, got back from my trip yesterday and got some play time in yesterday.  I played Barb first, and that was a HUUUGE mistake.  He barely does any more damage with his strikes that I can tell, and he bruises easily.  I played wanderer next and blew through everything including Phalanx like it was nothing (Crazy ass rolling and juking FTW!).  The little messages people leave are helpful, but I keep waiting for someone to leave deliberately incorrect info ('All clear ahead!').  icon_twisted

I quit last night after having to outrun the dragon on the stretches after phalanx.  Those parts suck - it's one thing to be a hard game, it's another thing to put lame tiresome gimmicks in a game.  Still, for all my roughly 2000 deaths last night, I'm having a blast and can't wait to get more time in.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 07, 2009, 10:08:39 PM »

Arrived today.  Perhaps some play in tonight!

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 08, 2009, 02:41:10 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIZnQhrdol8

We used to play this game when I was a kid.  We didn't do it for speed; we did it for longevity.  My record was passing 2764 holes which is doing a full labyrinth lap (100 holes) almost over 27 times.

Demon's Souls will NOT defeat me!

Frogstar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 08, 2009, 01:19:02 PM »

If any other lowbies (my guy is only level 12 or so) want to play tonight, I'll be playing around 10:00 eastern.

PSN: grueslayer
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 08, 2009, 06:32:09 PM »

Absolutely fantastic so far!  I've died quite a bit in the first level figuring out what I can and can't do.  Outside of an unexpected death when I jumped through an inviting fog-covered hole in the floor, none of them have been cheap.  Each individual enemy so far has required concentration and a plan. 

I'm just to the point where I can make a quick run to the 1-1 boss. 

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 08, 2009, 08:50:15 PM »

Quick question:
where do I find catalysts/talismans?  i don't see any merchants with them.  Lucky drops?  Reroll a caster?

soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 08, 2009, 09:29:13 PM »

There is a catalyst on top of the first tower in 1-2 on the bridge where the dragon used to fry me before I perfected my bow abilities.  Have not found a talisman yet.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 08, 2009, 09:56:03 PM »

Quote from: soulbringer on May 08, 2009, 09:29:13 PM

There is a catalyst on top of the first tower in 1-2 on the bridge where the dragon used to fry me before I perfected my bow abilities.  Have not found a talisman yet.

if you're ready for the skeletons, there's a talisman to be found early on in 4-1 (which's also a good soul farming area, btw)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 08, 2009, 11:20:24 PM »

Its even better if you get the mace from 5-1 so you can whack the living crap outta the 4-1 skeletons smile
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 09, 2009, 01:02:37 AM »

Yep - Got to the first boss...no chance.

Tried using some fire (turpentine on the sword) didn't get far.
Fire bombs? Nope.

Hmmmmm....This may take a while....

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 09, 2009, 01:12:37 AM »

Quote from: Devil on May 09, 2009, 01:02:37 AM

Yep - Got to the first boss...no chance.

Tried using some fire (turpentine on the sword) didn't get far.
Fire bombs? Nope.

Hmmmmm....This may take a while....
Got this on third try after exhausting all my turp and firebombs on previous 2 attempts.  Takes patience and, most of all, faith in the system.  Let me know if you want some hints.

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 09, 2009, 01:14:35 AM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on May 08, 2009, 11:20:24 PM

Its even better if you get the mace from 5-1 so you can whack the living crap outta the 4-1 skeletons smile
Yeah, thanks for that tip.  The mace shows up very early in 5-1.  And the skellys from 4-1 are giving me 294 souls per kill.

How far in is the talisman?

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 09, 2009, 01:26:41 AM »

Yeah - I'm an idiot.

I used my shield and magic (screw the fire!) and beat him on the third try!

Thanks Hotfreak - I'll be taking you up on that at some point!

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 09, 2009, 01:35:20 AM »

Quote from: Devil on May 09, 2009, 01:26:41 AM

Yeah - I'm an idiot.

Thanks Hotfreak - I'll be taking you up on that at some point!
Gratz! Well, my strat was for a magicless wanderer who had squandered most of his firebombs learning how to kill blue knights.  Perhaps we can exchange warstories at some point.

(ugh, as I was writing this, Jokinen scored to make it 2-1)

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 09, 2009, 01:36:09 AM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on May 09, 2009, 01:14:35 AM

How far in is the talisman?

it's either in the courtyard in front of the wall with the 2 archers, or up where they are somewhere (watch out for traps heading up!)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 09, 2009, 01:40:50 AM »

Quote from: Devil on May 09, 2009, 01:26:41 AM

Yeah - I'm an idiot.

afa bosses, using the environments to your advantage can play a big part in most encounters...

Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 09, 2009, 08:25:55 PM »

OK, Black Phantom invasion question!  I just entered 4-1 and I get the message, "Black Phantom Zeroque (or something like that) just invaded your game!"  I immediately rushed back into the front area to see the black phantom, apparently using some form of spear.  After a surprisingly short (to me) battle, I killed him.  I am supposed to do that, right?  It didn't occur to me afterwards that maybe just becuae a black phantom showed up, that doesn't mean I have to kill them. 

So far, I'm about eight hours in, and my wanderer has killed The 1-1, 1-2, & 2-1 boss.  I blitzed through the early part of Level 3 (up until the first boss), but the damn Black Phantom keeps killing me.  The flaws in this game are aggravating, but so much else about this game is right.  It reminds me a lot of Severance:Blade of Darkness, but with a little more depth.

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 09, 2009, 09:00:31 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on May 09, 2009, 08:25:55 PM

OK, Black Phantom invasion question!  I just entered 4-1 and I get the message, "Black Phantom Zeroque (or something like that) just invaded your game!"  I immediately rushed back into the front area to see the black phantom, apparently using some form of spear.  After a surprisingly short (to me) battle, I killed him.  I am supposed to do that, right?  It didn't occur to me afterwards that maybe just becuae a black phantom showed up, that doesn't mean I have to kill them. 

So far, I'm about eight hours in, and my wanderer has killed The 1-1, 1-2, & 2-1 boss.  I blitzed through the early part of Level 3 (up until the first boss), but the damn Black Phantom keeps killing me.  The flaws in this game are aggravating, but so much else about this game is right.  It reminds me a lot of Severance:Blade of Darkness, but with a little more depth.
I've taken a different approach.  I'm going after items before bosses.  After finishing 1-1, the real game began and I became much more covetous of souls and character improvement.  I farmed 4-1 for a little bit then ran back to 1-2 to kill the red dragon and grab the loot from its lair.  I improved my character to a jack-of-all-trades state, and grabbed all the goodies from 4-1 (Adjudicators shield ftw!).  I'm now poised to make a run at the 4-1 boss.  I have a fairly large set of rings, shields and weapons and a full set of leather armor.  The balance feels just right.  Enemies that were challenging before are easier to deal with but still deadly if I don't perform.  Concurrently, having a few items that passively regenerate my mp and hp makes the longer and more difficult areas I'm moving into slightly less frustrating.  I can't say enough about this game. 

Thanks for bringing up Blade of Darkness.  There are definite similarities here.  I'm interested to hear more about what you see as the "flaws". 

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 10, 2009, 12:00:13 AM »

Quote from: Big Jake on May 09, 2009, 08:25:55 PM

while the majority of bps are player killers (at least when i was playing), there are also bps who want you to kill'm (they'll sometimes show up in just their underwear) in order to try to turn their world tendency white. & then there's the time a very gracious bp invaded my game, & proceeded to help clear a path for me all the way to the boss smile . so, yeah, no real rule of thumb...

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 10, 2009, 06:38:13 AM »

I just started playing, got a noob question: How does the game save?  If I collect a bunch of souls in 1-1 and quit in the middle, will I keep the souls/items or do I need to backtrack back to nexus and quit?
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 10, 2009, 10:22:25 AM »

Quote from: skystride on May 10, 2009, 06:38:13 AM

I just started playing, got a noob question: How does the game save?  If I collect a bunch of souls in 1-1 and quit in the middle, will I keep the souls/items or do I need to backtrack back to nexus and quit?

quitting outside the nexus is fine, but i'd strongly suggest you use the in-game quit, rather than just exiting the game - some people have ended up with corrupted save files by not doing so...

Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 10, 2009, 07:52:57 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on May 09, 2009, 09:00:31 PM

Thanks for bringing up Blade of Darkness.  There are definite similarities here.  I'm interested to hear more about what you see as the "flaws". 

1) CAMERA.  Period. End of fucking story.  Third person has always sucked, and will always suck.  We experience life from a first person point of view, not from looking at our asses from three feet behind us.  If you don't want to view things from the protagonist's viewpoint, fine, then place the camera in 3/4 isometric mode.  That way we can see what's going on behind us.  Worked just fine in all games that were competently programmed.  Third person serves NEITHER case.  It's a half ass idiotic anachronism that exists do to existential inertia and bad gameplay designers who refuse to let dumb ideas die.  And this gets the #1 slot because is so fucking basic.  Did you (the game company) not test it and see half the fucking time combat is so fucking blurred who knows what is striking what?  I cannot understand this issue, which has become rampant in the last several years. Many games feature terrible cameras which renders any engine or artistic triumphs moot - if I can't easily see what I am supposed to be doing, YOU'VE FAILED AT ITEM #1 IN GAME DESIGN 101!!!

2) 15 year old gameplay  - no save before boss, so if I die, I have to redo the whole level?  Stop hiding behind 'it's supposed to be tough', that is just a lame half ass move to artificially extend gameplay.  I suspect this game has roughly 10 hours of gameplay, it's just that we have to repeat the same sections over, and 'Hey! That's length!' (Again, according to a terrible game designer).  You can make a game plenty challenging without recreating the limitations video games had circa the original Contra.  Those games were that way due to hardware limitations.  This one doesn't have those limitations.

3) Worthless camera lock on - I'm in level 1, just stepped into the room with the second Black Samurai skelly.  I hit lock on to tag him...but even though I'm facing him and he is in my direct line of sight, the lock decides I wanted the flying cliff racer thingy 180 fucking degrees behind me...AND THROUGH TWO FUCKING WALLS by virtue of the fact it apparently seems slightly closer than the skeleton who is about to try and kill me.  It does this all the time (if you've played 2-1, you know what I'm talking about).  Again, this is shitty game programming, and no 'it's supposed to be hard' changes the fact that whoever coded this part of the game is incompetent.

There are more, but these are the three that bother me the most.  When I die in a game because I suck, then fine, I suck.  When I die because of you shitty coders don't know how to program a fucking camera, your game sucks.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 07:54:39 PM by Big Jake » Logged

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 10, 2009, 09:32:47 PM »

1) CAMERA.  Period. End of fucking story.  Third person has always sucked, and will always suck.  We experience life from a first person point of view, not from looking at our asses from three feet behind us.  If you don't want to view things from the protagonist's viewpoint, fine, then place the camera in 3/4 isometric mode.  That way we can see what's going on behind us.  Worked just fine in all games that were competently programmed.  Third person serves NEITHER case.  It's a half ass idiotic anachronism that exists do to existential inertia and bad gameplay designers who refuse to let dumb ideas die.  And this gets the #1 slot because is so fucking basic.  Did you (the game company) not test it and see half the fucking time combat is so fucking blurred who knows what is striking what?  I cannot understand this issue, which has become rampant in the last several years. Many games feature terrible cameras which renders any engine or artistic triumphs moot - if I can't easily see what I am supposed to be doing, YOU'VE FAILED AT ITEM #1 IN GAME DESIGN 101!!!

2) 15 year old gameplay  - no save before boss, so if I die, I have to redo the whole level?  Stop hiding behind 'it's supposed to be tough', that is just a lame half ass move to artificially extend gameplay.  I suspect this game has roughly 10 hours of gameplay, it's just that we have to repeat the same sections over, and 'Hey! That's length!' (Again, according to a terrible game designer).  You can make a game plenty challenging without recreating the limitations video games had circa the original Contra.  Those games were that way due to hardware limitations.  This one doesn't have those limitations.

3) Worthless camera lock on - I'm in level 1, just stepped into the room with the second Black Samurai skelly.  I hit lock on to tag him...but even though I'm facing him and he is in my direct line of sight, the lock decides I wanted the flying cliff racer thingy 180 fucking degrees behind me...AND THROUGH TWO FUCKING WALLS by virtue of the fact it apparently seems slightly closer than the skeleton who is about to try and kill me.  It does this all the time (if you've played 2-1, you know what I'm talking about).  Again, this is shitty game programming, and no 'it's supposed to be hard' changes the fact that whoever coded this part of the game is incompetent.

There are more, but these are the three that bother me the most.  When I die in a game because I suck, then fine, I suck.  When I die because of you shitty coders don't know how to program a fucking camera, your game sucks.

1) The two things I don't like about the camera are a) the inability to change the camera's distance from my avatar and b) the difficulty of aiming w/o a lock on or a bow's sniper mode -- which makes it quite annoying to try to snipe with spells.  Originally, I think the idea of 3rd person avatar-based camera was to be able to watch your virtual self in action, wearing different outfits and performing acrobatics, etc. -- which is indicated by the type of game this is.  I remember a game called Heretic II which employed this type of camera perfectly and would never have worked as an isometric or first-person game.  One thing this does is to make it extremely important that you limit the number of enemies you take on at once in this game.

2) I've only completed 3 sections (1-1, 4-1, 2-1) so far and, in each of them, there were shortcuts (intentional or unintentional) that allowed me to bypass a number of dangerous areas such that my run back to the boss (in the event that I died) didn't take a long time -- neither were my boss runs trivial, however, which is how I like it.  The tension I felt at the bosses was just about right due to the punishment balance of running back to the spot.  Further, I felt both a huge sense of accomplishment at killing the boss and a equally huge sense of pride at having mastered the level.  Repetition and mastery are a huge part of the gameplay here.  So I disagree that the game length is artificially bloated.  I agree with you though that this is an old gameplay conceit.  I just happen to find it refreshing.

3) I haven't experienced any frustration with the lock-on.  If you flick the right stick while locked on to an enemy, the lock will move to the next enemy in range.  This could be behind you which might explain your issue.  Otherwise, the lock seems to look for closest enemy in sight.  Lock-on can make certain moves difficult, however, so I try not to use it as a crutch.

Overall, I'm fairly pleased with the controls.  This is a timing game, not a twitch game so there isn't as much of a requirement for fast controls as there is for intelligible, well-separated ones.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 10, 2009, 09:48:27 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on May 10, 2009, 07:52:57 PM

1) CAMERA.  Period. End of fucking story.  Third person has always sucked, and will always suck.  We experience life from a first person point of view, not from looking at our asses from three feet behind us.  If you don't want to view things from the protagonist's viewpoint, fine, then place the camera in 3/4 isometric mode.  That way we can see what's going on behind us.  Worked just fine in all games that were competently programmed.  Third person serves NEITHER case.  It's a half ass idiotic anachronism that exists do to existential inertia and bad gameplay designers who refuse to let dumb ideas die.

while i agree that, yeah, it definitely makes for some fucked-up camera work periodically, i completely disagree with what you're saying here. true, we experience life from a first person point of view - that includes peripheral vision, & not from a view-slot cut in a cardboard box on our heads. imo, first person has always sucked, & likely will always suck, to the extent that gamer's have accommodated for it (in much the same way i & others've accommodated for problems with third person). afa 3/4 isometric, well, here's what i said, way back on page 1:

Quote from: semiconscious on March 10, 2009, 12:16:26 AM

probably more than anything, what i love about ds is the perspective - i've never liked first-person, &, while 3/4-overhead works well both camera & control -wise, it's a bit too open/non-claustrophobic. in spite of it's occasional moments of clunkiness, this's definitely the viewpoint that works best for me, personally, &, offhand, i can't think of another old school rpg/hack that's used it as well as this (other than maybe bethesda's stuff in third-person mode, which never really felt right to me).

speaking as an anachronism myself, i won't go so far as to say first-person gaming's one, tho - like 3rd person gaming, it's just not for everyone...

2) 15 year old gameplay  - no save before boss, so if I die, I have to redo the whole level?  Stop hiding behind 'it's supposed to be tough', that is just a lame half ass move to artificially extend gameplay.  I suspect this game has roughly 10 hours of gameplay, it's just that we have to repeat the same sections over, and 'Hey! That's length!' (Again, according to a terrible game designer).

have you noticed all the fools up here playing games like shiren the wanderer, etrian odyssey, & dark spire, grinding their lives away? smile like a number of recent old school games, demon's souls is deliberately brutal/repetitious/frustrating in the most dated sense imaginable, gameplay-wise - & proud of it. it's the reason anyone discussing the game mentions it immediately (& likely the reason it'll never be released here). it's not 'terrible game design', any more than the other games i mentioned - it's deliberate, & (again) not for everyone, obviously...

afa the lock-on being twitchy, well, rare is the lock-on system that works flawlessly - i've experienced lock-on twitchiness in everything from ratchet & clank to devil may cry...

i don't wanna sound like i'm defending the game - it's flawed in lots of ways (like quite a few games i've enjoyed are, as well), & how much those flaws detract from the over-all experience is definitely a pretty subjective thing, & i'm sorry you find them as irritating as you do...

but,... if, because you're so irritated, you're gonna go & basically declare both 3rd person gaming, & old-school game design 'obsolete', well, all i can tell you is: while both may be true for yourself, to the extent that the game's still been selling out even after several reissues, it's apparently just not true for for everyone - some fools actually like this shit smile ...

so, anyway... - what parts are you enjoying?...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 09:50:40 PM by semiconscious » Logged

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 10, 2009, 11:51:34 PM »

Gotta agree with Semiconcious on point # 1.  First person point of view is practically as far removed from reality as third person point of view.  At least in the third person point of view I have some form of peripheral vision which you don't get in a FPS game.  In fact I think I'd almost rather be blind than to have to experience life from a FP point of view.  Secondly FPS games are great for projectile type weapons-that's what most FPS games are all about projectile weapons.  They're not nearly as good when it comes to melee based gameplay.

As for dying and starting over again-I hate it too.  That's why I don't play those types of games.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 11, 2009, 12:31:38 AM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on May 09, 2009, 09:00:31 PM

OK -Let me play!

1) I would have never bought this game if it was first person. It's a sign of lazy 15 year old 'Wolfenstien' technology. If your programmers are unable to have your character AND environment on the same screen, then maybe you should seek other employment. Yeah, what we really need is a 400th game this year in first person. Maybe they should have made it a WW2 sim while you're at it!

2) The game would lose all its intensity if I could save after every kill. I would be bored shitless like Oblivion. Kill. Save. Kill. Save. Repeat. I'll take the rougelike approach for a change.

3) Haven't had any problems with the lock-on that have been really bad. The occasional 50/50, 'not the one I wanted' type deal, but nothing that bad.

I'm not all that deep in, but so far I wouldn't change much.

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 11, 2009, 01:20:57 AM »

Devil, I think you made my points much more succinctly than I did.  I totally agree here.

Also, I'm not too far in either.  Just finished 2-2.  So I've only completed 4 sections.

P.S. 2-1 was incredibly easy bulking myself up in 4-1.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:35:26 AM by Hotfreak » Logged

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 11, 2009, 02:23:03 AM »

Thanks Hotfreak.

Have a stupid question. I've read about it, but still aren't all that sure: What the hell do the 'World Tendencies' mean and why do they matter? Won't even get into how they change, but does white or black make the game tougher or easier?

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 11, 2009, 03:21:01 AM »

Quote from: Devil on May 11, 2009, 02:23:03 AM

Have a stupid question. I've read about it, but still aren't all that sure: What the hell do the 'World Tendencies' mean and why do they matter? Won't even get into how they change, but does white or black make the game tougher or easier?

white easier, black tougher (with better drops). also, pure white or black opens access to unique encounters/goodies (like, for example, that locked gate on the starting bridge, to the left, in 1-1)...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 03:22:58 AM by semiconscious » Logged

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 11, 2009, 11:41:55 AM »

Thanks

madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 11, 2009, 02:15:20 PM »

Whew, I'm up to 20+ hours after a marathon weekend and I'm loving it. Between this and Valkyria Chronicles, my PS3 has been in overdrive trying to keep up  icon_lol

Anyway, I've completed 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, and all of worlds 2 and 4. Character is a level 56-ish Knight with a focus on Str/End/Vit.

Bossfight at the end of world 4 with a melee character was so satisfying.

There have been some 'frustrating' parts (stupid 2-2 boss), but nothing I'd chalk up to the game being 'cheap', just me not approaching a situation in the right manner and being stubborn that I can beat it the way I want.

Had one black phantom invade, and it was a 5 minute duel that ended with both of us suicide charging each other with slivers of health left. He won, but it was a fun duel.

I'm just now getting into the weapon upgrade system and its just another layer of depth to this already outstanding game. I'm already thinking about what set of weapons and armor I want to carry and the order I'll get them.

I ran into one super difficult part in world 1-3 with pure black tendency, and I literally couldn't get through it. The enemies were so tough and numerous, I had to shift the world back to neutral to take down the boss.

My *one* complaint is that I'd wish they'd have fixed the world tendency bug about 1 week ago so I didn't have to put up with it  icon_smile

All in all I'm having a blast, and I can see myself immediately starting a NG+ when I finish, something I rarely do.
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 11, 2009, 02:52:14 PM »

Hehe, I knew it'd be right up your alley smile

Glad you like it man. Question though, you mention that the World Tendencies can be shifted easier (as you adjusted to tone a boss down)...has there been a patch to fix this or is the system still a little wonky?

madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 11, 2009, 03:41:01 PM »

It's still wonky as hell.

I was able to shift it to neutral form true black by killing the Executioner in 1-1 then zoning to the Nexus.

It's an interesting concept, but they really need to allow you to more easily shift the tendency of a world. As it stands now, you can totally screw yourself if you don't know what you're doing and lock yourself out of content (like I did in worlds 2 and 4) since the only 'easy' way to shift a world to white is by killing bosses, NPC black phantoms, or the primeval demons. If you happen to clear all the bosses in a world before killing a NPC black phantom or primeval demon, you cannot reach pure white world tendency.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 11, 2009, 03:41:32 PM »

So who's tired of it/didn't like it, and wants to sell me their copy? biggrin

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 11, 2009, 03:43:12 PM »

i only mention this because it just happened to another gafer yesterday...

along with accidentally killing npcs, & 'using' boss demon souls, i'll add one more 'do not do this': to the extent that the game's saving automatically, there's a 'trick' some people have tried (which may've already occurred to you) - if you ps button your way out of the game instantly (iow, before the game saves) after, say, getting beaten by a boss, & then restart, you'll be dropped into the game when it last saved (before the boss)...

now, if you're into this (which i'm not), & you time it right, the good news is, it works. however: if you don't time it right, you run the risk of having what's happened to at least several of the many people playing ds on neogaf happen, which is your save file basically becomes read-only (?!), meaning that no matter what you do with your character from then on disappears every time you reload...

anyway, i'd strongly recommend always ending all sessions by going thru the in-game 'quit game' option, & then ps buttoning out at the title screen. better safe than sorry, especially with a game like this (where're your already crying like a baby a lot of the time, anyway)...

Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 12, 2009, 04:53:12 PM »

Just picked this up from PlayAsia, but it's backordered right now.  Hopefully it will ship in a few weeks, anyone else who ordered from PlayAsia care to comment on how long it took to get theirs?

Great impressions by the way, keep them coming!

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 14, 2009, 04:44:40 PM »

Got another chance to climb this mountain last night.

I've now completed the first level of each world as well as the 2nd levels of 1 and 4 and all of world 2.  I feel like I've settled into a comfortable routine with the game.  I've been invaded a number of times by black PC phantoms -- usually  I let myself be killed to darken the world.  There are a few obvious farming spots I've found which make soul-gathering trivial enough that I no longer sweat losing bloodstains on long boss runs; this has the effect of reducing tension around the game in general.  Both good and bad, I think.  I've been able to "cheese" my way through a couple of boss encounters which is disappointing and further reduces tension.  Lets see, bosses in 1-2, 2-1, 3-1 and 5-1 all went down on the first try.   The 2-2 boss was a real pain in the neck until I figured out the exact impediments the boss has trouble negotiating.  The 2-3 boss reminded me of something out of God of War.

It feels like melee-exclusive characters have the deck stacked against them.  Some encounters would be close to impossible without some kind of ranged attack and many others can be trivialized by sniping.  Still, it's a studied, methodical approach with bursts of precise violence that make the game fun and challenging.  I'm glad I branched out from early-game melee-centrism.  I'm also glad I went for equipment early on in the game rather than boss kills.  The mini-game of upgrading weapons is fun (once you have access to a certain blacksmith) and has a huge effect on combat viability.

Overall, I'm still completely obsessed by the game if not as intimidated by it.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 14, 2009, 04:48:07 PM »

Man, the Eurogamer review of this one really sells it well.  I'm getting more tempted.  Nobody's looking to unload it yet, right?  biggrin

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: