http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 03:57:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [ps3] demon's souls impressions  (Read 32458 times)
Hotfreak
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2009, 06:58:40 PM »

Is the Korean version all in English too or just the chinese?

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 09, 2009, 07:15:55 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on April 09, 2009, 06:58:40 PM

Is the Korean version all in English too or just the chinese?

korean has english, according to the faq (& i saw a photo on neogaf confirming it). what it doesn't have is the english 'insert' with the manual, which the tutorial & faq makes completely unnecessary...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 07:21:44 PM by semiconscious » Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 09, 2009, 10:48:24 PM »

Quote from: Devil on April 09, 2009, 01:51:10 PM

Oh boy...

Dear NCS Customer,

Sony Hong Kong has not released the next batch of Demon's Souls yet but please note that Hong Kong businesses will be on their Easter holiday between April 10 to April 14. Due to the holiday, there will not be any news or shipments until after April 14. We will email our customers again once we receive an update but based on what distributors have told us last night, it may be another 1-2 weeks until the next production of the game is ready to ship. Thanks for your attention.

Regards,
NCSX Inc

I got the same email.  icon_frown  Oh well, guess I'll have a couple of weeks to get my backlog down. 
depward

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 11, 2009, 01:49:43 AM »

Got it in the mail today, popped it in and played through the tutorial - very weird but I'm very interested in playing more  thumbsup

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2009, 03:21:20 AM »

Quote from: depward on April 11, 2009, 01:49:43 AM

Got it in the mail today, popped it in and played through the tutorial - very weird but I'm very interested in playing more  thumbsup

die & die again! interested in your impression smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2009, 05:51:10 AM »

I've successfully played through 1-1!  Here are my thoughts:

The gameplay is pretty unique.  It really is a wild mash-up of almost something monster hunter with a lock-on camera and a rogue-like strictly from the sense of the "things can get out of hand so incredibly fast" aspect.

Graphically, it's very serviceable; some very nice looking detailed things, some eh things, but overall very moody and dark!

The online portion is incredibly well designed.  It really is the case of "working together" while not exactly physically working together.  I like the notes people leave (things like "trap ahead" or otherwise) that clue me into what might be coming up; it can be a bit cheap, as in hey, I knew I was going to get ambushed up ahead, but I think it's cool that people help out.  The "rate" system (i.e. letting you know if people "agree" with the note) is helpful too.

There are some things I still need clarification on, such as how the heck some of the gameplay elements come into play (i.e. co-op stuff, the whole white vs black thing, what the number is above the enemy (I'm guessing how many hit points I take off for that swing?), etc.) but I'm having a very good time.  And hey, unbelievably, I didn't die ONCE during my whole trek through 1-1.  Lucky, I know, perhaps even incredibly lucky, but I played it calm, slowly, and smartly and it paid off.

I'm now even more flabbergasted why this hasn't been brought over to NA.  English-everything except for the instruction manual.  Heck, even the English voice acting is a lot better than most games I've played.

In any case, so far, I'm very impressed; Demon's Souls has its hooks into me.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 12, 2009, 08:50:28 PM »

Hah, I talk up a big game... until I hit 1-2  icon_biggrin

Couple of harder spots up until the boss who

Spoiler for Hiden:
Two-shot me

Time to keep on trying!  And dying!   nod

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 12, 2009, 10:22:19 PM »

yes! - finally managed to forge the northern regalia in ng+...

Spoiler for Hiden:
seeing as the ostrava quest glitched my first go-round, i just killed him after rescuing him in 1-2 & got the key (pretty sleazy, i admit it smile )...

i can't even remember the last time i began to replay a game as soon as i finished smile - not sure how long i'll continue (it's still damn hard, btw), but this game's succeeded in hooking me like few others. it's like i imagine liberty city is for other people: weirdly comfortable, & there's always something to do...

rpgfan posted a review. while i personally think the reviewer's a little harsh in parts, particularly the graphics & sound scores, which don't seem to really correspond with his comments? (how unusual smile ), i'm thinking it indicates he had a pretty good time if he can conclude with this:

"Demon's Souls is easily the most satisfying PS3 game I have ever played..."

VegasD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2009, 01:18:39 AM »

Purchased a copy off of EBAY this evening.  As soon as it arrives (7-14 days) I will give impressions from a player who typically does not enjoy hard games.  This one looks interesting though!
Frogstar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2009, 01:53:45 PM »

I just ordered this from NCSX.  It may be awhile before I get it though (see earlier posts).  In any event, I have a few questions. 

Is there random loot to find? 

How long is the game and how's the replayability?  Do you start over from lvl one when you restart, or is it like Diablo where you can continue on with your built up character?

Finally, I'm thinking of getting a copy for my brother who lives in another city.  We can play online co-op, right?  Also, how is the co-op?  I've read a little bit about it, but I am still confused.  Would this be a fun game to play with one other person?

Thanks for your help.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2009, 04:48:25 PM »

Quote from: Frogstar on April 15, 2009, 01:53:45 PM

I just ordered this from NCSX.  It may be awhile before I get it though (see earlier posts).  In any event, I have a few questions. 

Is there random loot to find? 

How long is the game and how's the replayability?  Do you start over from lvl one when you restart, or is it like Diablo where you can continue on with your built up character?

Finally, I'm thinking of getting a copy for my brother who lives in another city.  We can play online co-op, right?  Also, how is the co-op?  I've read a little bit about it, but I am still confused.  Would this be a fun game to play with one other person?

Thanks for your help.

1) yes. & certain areas/enemies can be farmed for certain loot types...

2) it took me a month to finish (60-70 hours), but i tended to die a lot smile . i'm early into ng+ right now, & yeah, you keep your character (with the enemies become tougher, as well)...

3) co-op is doable, but tricky: if one of you puts down a mark & the other one selects it, you're on. but, considering that anyone else playing might also select it, a bit of co-ordination (as in, exactly where, exactly when) would definitely be required...

Frogstar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2009, 05:00:52 PM »

Thanks, semiconscious! biggrin
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 15, 2009, 05:19:48 PM »

Just checked NCSX's site and found this BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

update: April 15, 2009 at 11:56AM EST
Suppliers in Hong Kong have returned from the Spring holiday and the ship date for the next batch of Demon's Souls from Sony Hong Kong appears to be April 27-28 according to our distributors. If it is released any earlier, we'll update again. All backorders will be processed and shipped once the next batch arrives. Thanks.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 15, 2009, 05:42:23 PM »

Quote from: Frogstar on April 15, 2009, 05:00:52 PM

Thanks, semiconscious! biggrin

one other thing, re:co-op - both players must be within a certain number of levels of each other (originally, it was + or - 5, but i think it was expanded a bit (+ or - 10?) with the last patch...

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 15, 2009, 05:46:43 PM »

End of April?!  crybaby

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 15, 2009, 06:23:10 PM »

Quote from: Devil on April 15, 2009, 05:46:43 PM

End of April?!  crybaby

Ah well, it's not like I don't have a huge freaking backlog to whittle away at.  disgust

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 19, 2009, 10:49:10 PM »

Watching more vids of this and reading what you all and others have written, it seems right up my alley.  I miss the good old days of brutal difficulty, trial and error gameplay, etc....  Playing arpgs in hardcore mode scratches one itch; this seems like it would scratch another.

Sadly, the ebay prices on english language versions seem to be climbing and all this backlog on the import services is bumming me out.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2009, 10:41:22 PM »

Ugh, I just got sucked into this thread and tried to order it off ebay.  Pricey!  And I don't typically like hard games either, so I'm not sure why I am so excited to punish myself with this one.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 22, 2009, 02:14:11 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 21, 2009, 10:41:22 PM

Ugh, I just got sucked into this thread and tried to order it off ebay.  Pricey!  And I don't typically like hard games either, so I'm not sure why I am so excited to punish myself with this one.

you can't beat a game that's so punishing that it's hard just to score a copy of it in the first place smile ...

hopefully come the end of this month there'll be a bunch more copies available...

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2009, 07:03:51 PM »

...I'm not sure why I am so excited to punish myself with this one.
There's something incredibly compelling about the way Semiconscious talks about this, like he can't quite contain his glee.

madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2009, 08:01:40 PM »

Add me to the list of forum-effected now waiting on NCSX  crybaby
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 22, 2009, 11:05:16 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on April 22, 2009, 07:03:51 PM

There's something incredibly compelling about the way Semiconscious talks about this, like he can't quite contain his glee.

hehheh... yeah, my inner child definitely gives demon's souls 2 big thumbs up smile . i think everyone's played at least a handful of games that immediately feel so familiar that they almost seem like manifestations of long-held, subconscious personal fantasies (or something), where everything's just right, all your buttons get pushed, & you just slip into them effortlessly. majora's mask & shadow of the colossus were 2 games like that for me, & ds is another. not necessarily the best games i've ever played (as in, the most elaborate/stunning/mind-boggling), but the ones that were, well, the most comfortable (&, personally, the most rewarding)...

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 23, 2009, 12:00:12 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on April 22, 2009, 11:05:16 PM

Quote from: Hotfreak on April 22, 2009, 07:03:51 PM

hehheh... yeah, my inner child definitely gives demon's souls 2 big thumbs up smile . i think everyone's played at least a handful of games that immediately feel so familiar that they almost seem like manifestations of long-held, subconscious personal fantasies (or something), where everything's just right, all your buttons get pushed, & you just slip into them effortlessly. majora's mask & shadow of the colossus were 2 games like that for me, & ds is another. not necessarily the best games i've ever played (as in, the most elaborate/stunning/mind-boggling), but the ones that were, well, the most comfortable (&, personally, the most rewarding)...

Man, there better be a strong something in the Kool-Aid this comes with... you've got four pages of posts so far, extolling its virtues and the Semiconscious Army continues to grow. When NCSX finally fills the backorder you've single-handedly created, you're either going to have mass genuflection in your general direction... or an uprising on your hands.  icon_lol

-craig

Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 23, 2009, 12:39:22 AM »

I drank the Semi Kool-Aid and found it full bodied, refreshing, and quite accurate to what was advertised on the bottle.

Demons Souls = My Game of the Year (so far)

The only knocks I have against it is the ending is kinda weird and the Black and WHite Tendencies didn't work with the latest patch (although I believe it's been fixed). Other than that, its the best pure dungeon crawler in ages.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 23, 2009, 02:54:45 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 23, 2009, 12:00:12 AM

Man, there better be a strong something in the Kool-Aid this comes with... you've got four pages of posts so far, extolling its virtues and the Semiconscious Army continues to grow. When NCSX finally fills the backorder you've single-handedly created, you're either going to have mass genuflection in your general direction... or an uprising on your hands.  icon_lol

well, as long as everyone who's getting the game fully appreciates the fact that they're entering a world of pain...

i'm thinking things'll be fine smile ...

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 23, 2009, 01:50:45 PM »

Ordered on Ebay.
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 24, 2009, 09:54:52 PM »

Hate to do this, but I listed my copy. I REALLY want to keep it for inventible expansions or downloadable content, but it's just collecting dust for now.

Thanks to Semi for recommending it, heres to Sony releasing it stateside with the Tendencies to actually work.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 09:59:08 PM by Pharaoh » Logged
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2009, 10:19:32 PM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on April 24, 2009, 09:54:52 PM

heres to Sony releasing it stateside with the Tendencies to actually work.

Sorry, but what does this mean? Some aspect of the game ('Tendencies'?) is not quite working correctly in this release?

-craig

Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 24, 2009, 10:44:16 PM »

You know, If I ebayed, I'd be all over Pharaoh's copy.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 24, 2009, 10:48:24 PM »

Hate to do this, but I listed my copy. I REALLY want to keep it for inventible expansions or downloadable content, but it's just collecting dust for now.

THE ONLY CHINESE THING ABOUT THIS GAME IS WHEN YOUR DONE, YOU'LL WANT TO PLAY AGAIN 10 MINUTES LATER.

classic! smile ...

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 24, 2009, 10:19:32 PM

heres to Sony releasing it stateside with the Tendencies to actually work.

Sorry, but what does this mean? Some aspect of the game ('Tendencies'?) is not quite working correctly in this release?

it's been discussed in the thread:

afa world tendency: prior to the last patch, it was somewhat straight-forward, if a little tricky. since the patch, it's the aspect of the game that's frustrating people the most - basically it's become harder to get black, & a lot harder to get white, especially if you're playing off-line. check the faq for details (if you haven't already). it's unfortunate (getting miralda's armor was one of the high-points of my play-thru smile ). hopefully, from reconsiders their 'improvements' - even just dialing it back to square one'd be satisfactory...

so what's really going on at this point is anyone's guess. for example, on my ng+, i got pure white in stonefang mines, without really trying to, simply by killing the first 2 bosses? so i don't know - it's not so much 'not working correctly' (cuz it's hard to say what 'correctly' would be), as that it's somewhat inconsistent/unpredictable...

edit: understand - this has absolutely nothing to do with being able to play thru the game. this's all about special characters/items that're only accessible via white/black world tendencies...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 10:52:52 PM by semiconscious » Logged

Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 25, 2009, 01:06:34 AM »

Ya totally, the entire game is fine, its more the "EX" mode with a couple surprises is a little borked. It works, its just really tough to adjust, as the feedback is kinda smokey.

But in NO way is it gamebreaking.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 25, 2009, 06:26:28 PM »

for all review fans, eurogamer does demon's souls - the comments accompanying the screenshots kinda makes it worth it smile ...

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 25, 2009, 07:06:25 PM »

LOL, that review makes me want to jump off a cliff.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2009, 08:41:29 PM »

Oh my...

Quote from: EuroGamer review
It is one of the most difficult modern videogames in existence, refusing to make even the slightest concession to your happiness or mental well-being. For this reason, developing a devotion to Demon's Souls has been the gaming equivalent of falling in love with an emotionally stunted, occasionally violent sociopath.

-craig

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2009, 10:56:39 PM »

Holy crap that Eurogamer review makes the game sound as fantastic as everybody else here has been describing it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2009, 11:33:11 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 25, 2009, 08:41:29 PM

Oh my...

It is one of the most difficult modern videogames in existence, refusing to make even the slightest concession to your happiness or mental well-being. For this reason, developing a devotion to Demon's Souls has been the gaming equivalent of falling in love with an emotionally stunted, occasionally violent sociopath.

like i said: it's all about embracing your inner child smile ...

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 26, 2009, 03:52:15 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on April 25, 2009, 11:33:11 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 25, 2009, 08:41:29 PM

Oh my...

like i said: it's all about embracing your inner child smile ...

Or your inner masochist.  icon_wink

-craig

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 26, 2009, 03:55:05 AM »

I wasn't quite sure from the review... the 'online' part of the game, the portion that seems to open up after a certain point where other players can come into your game to kill you or leave notes or whatever... is that any kind of optional or do you have no choice in the matter?

-craig

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 26, 2009, 02:03:52 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 26, 2009, 03:55:05 AM

I wasn't quite sure from the review... the 'online' part of the game, the portion that seems to open up after a certain point where other players can come into your game to kill you or leave notes or whatever... is that any kind of optional or do you have no choice in the matter?

well, you can always play offline. otherwise, the ghosts of other players, the messages, & the bloodstains will show up whether you're in your body or not. but you can only summon blue phantom helpers, & black phantoms player killers can only enter your game, if you're in your body...

of course, seeing as there's only 2 ways to get your body back (killing bosses, or using a particular stone you can find), & a millions different ways to lose it, you'll likely be spending most of your playing time (at least in your first play thru) in your ephemeral form smile ...

(afa 'ephemeral form', your character becomes basically a sorta dark/colorless, almost-but-not-quite translucent version of his/her true self, with a shorter health bar, but otherwise everything's the same...)

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2009, 04:29:25 AM »

I'm pumped. My copy is on its way from Japan! Woot!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: