http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 01:52:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] Alone in the Dark vastly improved  (Read 2041 times)
MonkeyFinger
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2008, 08:01:37 PM »

And it looks like the 360 version will get a patch to incorporate most of the same changes. I think it's great to see a developer take constructive criticism to heart and actually confess to and fix the things they horked up in the original release.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=220284

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 08:20:38 PM »

VERY happy to hear this.  I said as much in the original AitD thread but it seems like the game had enormous potential and I'm glad they are using the additional time needed to finish the PS3 version. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 08:27:23 PM »

Wow, if Atari is funding these changes, perhaps Atari is finally feeling the influence of it's new executives?
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 08:37:49 PM »

y'know, i just started downloading/playing siren, &, besides being a bit too dark, the only thing that really hurts the game is the camera being sooo goddamn close - i realize it's supposed to help create a claustrophobic effect, but the end result is actually just frustration more than anything else (it's already creepy enough, anyway)...

i'd passed on aitd after reading about it, but this makes it sound a lot more interesting. what with bioshock (& eternal sonata) getting tarted up, & now this, waiting for stuff to get to the ps3 (provided you're not holding your breath) is starting to look like not such a bad deal smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 09:47:50 PM »

cool.  i really hope they get all of the important stuff into the 360 patch.  i've been holding on to my rental for some deluded hope that i might get past the damn "when bats attack" drive through the park bit. 

i hope they just forgot to mention the pc patch for both people who bought that version and haven't tossed it out yet. 

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 10:06:10 PM »

im not sure how they could improve it - okay provocative statement so heres my story...

i LOVED this game at first.  seriously i thought it was great.  the inventory was a bit cumbersome, but so innovative i didnt care.  combining stuff was fun, fighting was fun, repairing wounds was fun, the interactivity was awesome (im looking at you, jumping into a car and frantically searching for a key or hotwiring while surrounded by zombies) - really i dug it!  but...

there were some parts that were just RIDICULOUS!  i never come close to "thrown controller syndrome" - not ever - but man did this game have me there several times.  and the worst part, was that it happened at some of the most immersing and genuinely cool moments.  the first car escape was so cinematic and impressively done! then i failed it... okay this happens, then i failed again... and again... and again AHHHHHHH!  same thing with the scene introducing the black slime - what an awesome mechanic! i have to use my light, hell ill be clever and even make some sticky glowsticks - but i could not get past it until a good 15 (possibly more!) tries!  i stuck through this game for a long time, and im glad i did, but every time id hit one of these parts it slowly destroyed my love for the game.  the final one came from yet another great scene - a never ending supply of little headcrabs spewing from a hidden nest where i had to lob in a molotov cocktail - it looked like if i succeeded id also burn out something that was blocking a laser trip wire.  so im tossing cocktails, and missing - every time.  the game has a realistic physics engine, which is great!  except when you cant hit that ONE freakin' nest to burn out the lot... dozens upon dozens of time - i finally watched my molotov narrowly miss one too many times and that was it - the straw that broke the camels back - i never went back...

i used the word scene a lot - because this game actually feels like playing a movie.  it feels like it gives you worlds of options.  it throws in these great mechanics but maddeningly difficult parts just ruined it for me.  i just wasnt having fun anymore.  i got by 3 or 4 of them, and i hoped, HOPEZD there wouldnt be any more because every time it was slowly destroying my desire to play the game.  and the parts that ruined it, were some of the potentially greatest parts of the game! ahhhh... so yea, long post but i was just so conflicted about the game.

so yea, i dont know how it could be fixed.  at least my gripes anyway.  realistic physics and lighting make the game incredible, and they are beautifully implemented - but they make a couple of the parts damn near unplayable.  for the longest time i wondered how the playtesters didnt freak out - then i realized "ah yes they must have... theres a penalty free option to SKIP THE ENTIRE FREAKING GAME if you want to..."  lazy design decision - dont fix or create equally immersing scenes - just make a skip feature...

so yea, my long alone in the dark rant - ive been dying to post about it for the longest time (i just played the game less than a month back) but the impressions thread died out so quickly.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 10:32:02 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on August 21, 2008, 10:06:10 PM

rant...

good one! i appreciate the balance - thanks!...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 10:37:38 PM »

hehehe you actually read it! yay

my feelings were so mixed ive been dying to get that out - but its not something i can exactly bring up with my nongamer friends (at least not without getting anything more than a furrowed brow and empty glare in response) - so you here bore the brunt of it
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 02:25:04 AM »

That wasn't a rant, it was actually a good description of the problems of the game.

Nnd now I'm not saying they did this, but it does seem possible to fix the issues you talk about.  However, I'm not sure if there was really enough time to.  To fix some of the things you talk about requires a bit more than just camera tweaks.

But then again, in the above article it does say how they actually changed a significant section of the game by familiarizing players with things like evil root burning in an earlier level, and they also made combat much, much easier so I heard.

Also, from the podcasts I've listened to a lot of editors who gave the game low scores also talk about how much potential the game had, if only the game had gotten a few more months and focus group testing to clean these issues up.

Hearing how they're at least trying to fix the problems turned this game from something where I wouldn't even try the demo, to something I'd rent once the changes are implemented.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 04:32:13 AM »

Hearing how they're at least trying to fix the problems turned this game from something where I wouldn't even try the demo, to something I'd rent once the changes are implemented.

turtle i definitely recommend renting it once it comes out.  theres a lot of good in there to enjoy, particularly if youre like me and can struggle through the first few "sticking points" - hell maybe youll even be able to grit through them

just dont get too invested in the story (which is hard because it seems like it was going to be REALLY neat - finding out what was going on was one of the motives that kept me going for so long).  because if your experience is similar to mine, you will hit a wall.  its worth it to try to make it to the museum though, and certainly to get to the park (which shouldnt be too hard because escaping from the building is just great and doesnt involve any of the nasty
moments)

*edit* and i hope for your sake they didnt tone down the combat TOO much - running around, looking for ANYTHING that could be burned while that walking corpse was down was a highlight for me.  "oh shit, im holding this chair into the fire come on, catch catch so i can run it over there and burn the bastard!" or "hmm im fumbling around with my lighter after stabbing this can of alcohol - will i be able to light all the bodies i just drenched before they get up again?"  ya, fun fun moments
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 04:38:55 AM by Doopri » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 05:13:23 AM »

I'd be willing to give this one a chance if they actually fix the problems it had.  Probably not until after the coming fall/winter onslaught of new games, but eventually when it's cheap.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 02:50:42 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 22, 2008, 05:13:23 AM

I'd be willing to give this one a chance if they actually fix the problems it had.  Probably not until after the coming fall/winter onslaught of new games, but eventually when it's cheap.

That's where I am, too.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 02:57:32 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 22, 2008, 02:50:42 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 22, 2008, 05:13:23 AM

That's where I am, too.

hopefully they patch up the PC version too, since that's the one that is most likely to fall down to under 20 bucks quicker.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 03:04:42 AM »

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/09/17/ps3-fanboy-hands-on-alone-in-the-dark/

Some impressions of the changes.  Since I haven't played the original I don't know how significant these changes are.  There's some stupidity about whether or not there will be a patch, but I'm pretty sure there will be a patch for the 360 and PC versions, that or fans will shun Atari and Eden Studios for the short while longer they last.

The sad thing is, a bit of focus group testing and a few more months of dev time probably could have solved these issues and still made it out before RE5.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 03:52:02 PM »

Eurogamer's Review of the PS3 version:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=307402

7/10 and it sounds like it's much improved.  I'll definitely get it at some point though I may wait until after Christmas because I expect the price will still drop like a rock.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 04:00:47 PM »

I went looking for this at my local Best Buy since I was considering a purchase and they didn't have it listed on their website. Talked to one of their peoples and apparently they're not planning on carrying it in spite of them knowing it's been "improved". Too much inventory of the original versions they can't unload, apparently.

-craig

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 04:05:05 PM »

Yeah I  noticed the same thing when I went to check BB's website to find out what price point the game was being released at and lo and behold they didn't even have a listing (Amazon has it and it's $49.99).  I won't be surprised if other stores have the same attitude.  Hell, Atari is struggling to even get the game reviewed right now judging by the lack of reviews from the big outlets. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 04:22:18 PM »

Have they released the patch for the other versions?  I may just grab the PC version for 20 bucks.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 04:45:12 PM »

I think they backpedaled on guaranteeing a patch.  Personally, I doubt it ever happens. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 04:45:18 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 21, 2008, 04:22:18 PM

Have they released the patch for the other versions?  I may just grab the PC version for 20 bucks.

Apparently, they're not planning on releasing a patch unless the PS3 version sells enough.  As you can see from the last couple of comments, that's probably not going so well.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 05:06:18 PM »

It's a tough sell - how do you let people who don't read the articles on the net know that there were alot of improvements made to this version? A new subtitle isn't really enough. They kind of have to put a big bright sticker on the front that says "this version doesn't suck as bad as the 360 version!"

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 05:11:39 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 21, 2008, 04:45:18 PM

Apparently, they're not planning on releasing a patch unless the PS3 version sells enough.  As you can see from the last couple of comments, that's probably not going so well.

well screw them then.  if they're not going to patch their product based on the sales of the version for an entirely different platform they deserve to fail.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 05:17:36 PM »

Yep, so much for Atari's comeback.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 05:54:33 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 21, 2008, 04:45:18 PM

That apparently from a comment made by the game's designer:

While checking out the tweaked “Alone in the Dark” in a San Francisco hotel yesterday, game designer Emile Morel couldn’t explicitly promise such a patch was coming.

“We’re trying to do it,” said Morel. “It’s technically complicated. The size of a patch is very limited by Microsoft. So if we do a patch it would only be about the new control and the new camera.”

Morel says “only” because the PS3 version also includes a new subway chase sequence that would likely be too large to include in just a mere patch.

“We can’t promise it because it is still early,” he said. “We are finishing this [PS3] version first. I guess it also depends on the success of this version. If people review it again and said it’s not worth it…” [laughs]

Time will tell how this all plays out.  Silly me, I ended up ordering this from Amazon.  paranoid

-craig

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2008, 06:55:34 PM »

well that blows then.  maybe i'll just wait for the ps3 version to hit the bargain bin. 

if they can't even support the versions they have with the basic functionality upgrades and ignore the whole subway sequence, then they really deserve to fail with this. 

it's too bad though, as the game had a spark of brilliance or two and should have been held back until '09. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 04:50:18 PM »

I played the demo last night and thought it was actually pretty decent, but then I got to a vehicular portion where you have to outrun something chasing you and while I found it to be pretty interesting but it is a bit too unforgiving if you screw up in the slightest way.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: