http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 05:33:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] 82% drop in sales in the first week in the UK  (Read 658 times)
Jancelot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2007, 04:14:39 PM »

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23977

Sales of the PlayStation 3 have dropped dramatically on the second week of release in the UK, with official Chart Track figures revealing a fall of 82 per cent.

Chart Track data is gathered from 7000 UK retail outlets representing 90 per cent of the software market, including GAME, Gamestation, Play.com, Asda and HMV.

Yikes.  Still, I will wait until the numbers come in over the next couple of months.  And we won't really see the true performance until some bigger titles are out this holiday season.  But definitely not a good initial indicator.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 04:22:36 PM »

Need more data on what the UK market typically does.  Even with an 82% drop that, 30k sold in a week which is about what the PS3 averaged here last month.  While that's poor for the US, I imagine that it might be pretty good for the UK though I'm sure it will probably drop further. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 04:50:27 PM »

I'm with Kevin-I think we need more data on the typical market trends there before we can be positive if this is as bad as it sounds-I think certainly any 82% drop in sales is a rather glaring decline, but it may be typical for the UK. I imagine given the sales issues here that it will be worse there rather than better.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 04:51:57 PM »

Good points.  It is difficult, and perhaps pointless, to try and extrapolate what that number means.  What kind of numbers are typical for a launch week in the UK?  That's what we need to know to put this article in perspective.  It's hard to tell with the Wii and 360 because they were supply constrained.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 05:29:15 PM »

An interesting thought here:

The PS3 is the first console EVER in history (or at least in a very long time) to launch in a territory and not totally sell out. And as such, since everybody who wants to buy one now has one, sales will absolutely drop.

The question is how much. And how long it'll take to recover.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 05:31:54 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 03, 2007, 05:29:15 PM

The PS3 is the first console EVER in history (or at least in a very long time) to launch in a territory and not totally sell out. And as such, since everybody who wants to buy one now has one, sales will absolutely drop.

PSP did the same (at least in the US).  1 million shipped day one but sell through was in the area of 600k. 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 05:34:30 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 03, 2007, 05:31:54 PM

PSP did the same (at least in the US).  1 million shipped day one but sell through was in the area of 600k. 

Yep.  I remember being able to pick one up quite a few days after launch at Target.

gellar
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 05:39:44 PM »

the launch numbers here were good(coming second in the best selling launch ever,after the PSP),but the overall feeling is that most people want to wait until either a price cut or MGS4 and FF13 are available(i am mainly in the second one)

although i know that 425 is quite good for the added BLU-RAY,a lot of people just dont want it(BLU-RAY i mean) and just want to play games,thats what a lot of people have said in my work,and my outside of work friends feel the same,i dont know anyone who has bought a PS3

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 05:56:58 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 03, 2007, 05:34:30 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 03, 2007, 05:31:54 PM

Yep.  I remember being able to pick one up quite a few days after launch at Target.

You know, you're right - I did the same on my PSP (but it was a month or two after launch). I stand corrected.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: