http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 11:13:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] 75% Back Compat for PS3 in Europe  (Read 8112 times)
Laner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2007, 11:19:39 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 20, 2007, 09:21:09 PM

Quote from: Laner on March 20, 2007, 08:54:09 PM

One more reason to put off purchasing a PS3.

icon_lol

Umm...I think you have that backwords. This is all the more reason to get one NOW, before they remove the hardware from the US version.

(if you think this is a huge deal, which it is not)

I'm certainly not paying $600 for one regardless
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2007, 11:41:39 PM »

Quote from: jblank on March 20, 2007, 09:41:13 PM

Who gives a shit about backwards compatibility one way or the other? Does anyone ever play older games once the new consoles come out? My 360, which is a year old next month, has had ZERO, count 'em ZERO, old XBOX games in it.

I play God of War 2 on a PS3, myself.  I can see why you might feel the way you do, though, because while the original XBox certainly had some good games, it doesn't have anywhere near the impressive library that the PS2 has.  I think backwards compatibility is definitely more important for the PS3 than it is for the 360 just because of the old libraries.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2007, 11:41:45 PM »

Quote from: Laner on March 20, 2007, 11:19:39 PM

icon_lol

Umm...I think you have that backwords. This is all the more reason to get one NOW, before they remove the hardware from the US version.

Ok, how about $500? Only Best Buy is not stocking the 20GB version. I just saw one today in fact.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2007, 11:48:11 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 20, 2007, 10:14:10 PM

Who gives a shit about backwards compatibility one way or the other? Does anyone ever play older games once the new consoles come out?

Raises hand.

Ok, well there is one.

I know 8 people who have a 360, and only 2 of them still play XBOX games on it. The game they play? Wait for it................Halo 2. Maybe it is more of a big deal, but for me and the people I know, it's not, so that is what I was basing my comment on. I just assumed most people were like my friends and leave the last gen behind once the new gen comes out....OR, they keep an old console and play the games on it.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2007, 11:48:47 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 20, 2007, 11:41:45 PM

icon_lol

Ok, how about $500? Only Best Buy is not stocking the 20GB version. I just saw one today in fact.

I am on your side on this in principle Hetz, but its very, very clear that they are either phasing the production of the 20gb unit out or they simply refuse to make enough to match demand. The one I bought was the only one I have ever seen, anywhere.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2007, 11:50:57 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 20, 2007, 11:41:45 PM

icon_lol

Gamestop isn't either. I was in there buying Tetris Evolution and Armored Core 4 for the 360 today, and spoke with my friend Reese who manages one of ours, and he confirmed that they cannot get them anymore. Also, our local Wal-Mart's have removed the SKU stickers for the $499 model, so it appears this is becoming the norm, rather than just an isolated Best Buy thing.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2007, 11:52:19 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 20, 2007, 11:41:39 PM

Who gives a shit about backwards compatibility one way or the other? Does anyone ever play older games once the new consoles come out? My 360, which is a year old next month, has had ZERO, count 'em ZERO, old XBOX games in it.

I play God of War 2 on a PS3, myself.  I can see why you might feel the way you do, though, because while the original XBox certainly had some good games, it doesn't have anywhere near the impressive library that the PS2 has.  I think backwards compatibility is definitely more important for the PS3 than it is for the 360 just because of the old libraries.

Yeah, but it still had some great games.

Don't most people just keep a PS2 laying around though? I don't know, I am sort of with Hetz on this in that some of the hullaballoo over 75% not being good enough, is overblown.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2007, 12:17:11 AM »

Quote from: jblank on March 20, 2007, 11:52:19 PM

Don't most people just keep a PS2 laying around though? I don't know, I am sort of with Hetz on this in that some of the hullaballoo over 75% not being good enough, is overblown.

I traded in my PS2 towards the purchase of my PS3.  I agree with both of you that all this overblown in that I never really go back and play old games unless they are things like on XBLA or VC.  I have played some incredible games on old systems, but it is the rare game that I go back and play again.  For the Playstation, though, there have been games coming out for the system that I am glad to have the hardware chip inside to play them on the PS3.  There aren't really any new XBox games anymore, though.  So, while I do think it is overblown to some extent, I am also glad I don't have to worry about it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2007, 12:24:35 AM »

Don't most people just keep a PS2 laying around though?

With the current BC debacle on PS3 I'll have to for quite a while.  But it takes up more space in the entertainment center and is another connection in my A/V switch, and is one more controller to keep track of so it would be nice to be able to remove it. 
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2007, 12:30:23 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 21, 2007, 12:17:11 AM

I traded in my PS2 towards the purchase of my PS3.  I agree with both of you that all this overblown in that I never really go back and play old games unless they are things like on XBLA or VC.  I have played some incredible games on old systems, but it is the rare game that I go back and play again.  For the Playstation, though, there have been games coming out for the system that I am glad to have the hardware chip inside to play them on the PS3.  There aren't really any new XBox games anymore, though.  So, while I do think it is overblown to some extent, I am also glad I don't have to worry about it.

Gotcha, ok, I see what you're saying.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2007, 03:37:26 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 20, 2007, 08:25:33 PM

If you live in Europe and want a PS3, than yes I do feel sorry for you. If you live in America and just want to pile on Sony....   finger

Personal attack aside, the people posting <> people reading this forum. You do realize that despite your local reports, the world does not in fact revolve around your region.

EU has repeatedly gotten the short end of the stick; it sucks that Sony feels that this is the market they can drop an untested and non-functional "compatibility" product to their market. Yeah, respecting their customers, my ass. BTW: poor/no support for cutscenes = non-support. It's like downgrading the games to beta status at best.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2007, 03:42:37 AM »

It's old gen stuff, leave it in the past....or keep your PS2 or XBOX.

People on both sides need to just move on and not stew over backwards compatibility, either on the PS3 or the 360. It's a non issue for most people I would imagine.
I do, actually. I never owned a PS2; I wouldn't mind playing a few of the big ones I missed out on.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2007, 05:22:37 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 20, 2007, 11:04:30 PM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on March 20, 2007, 10:58:14 PM

My question is: how would I tell the PS3 that I'd want it to use the superior software emulator for God of War II, but stick with the more reliable hardware option for Killzone?  Or is my understanding of the 1.6 software-based rendering "enhancements" mistaken?
That's my big concern- it just seems like an interface nightmare for the casual user.  Under a complete software approach it would probably be handled just by going off of your preferred resolution settings (ie pick the highest resolution that both your TV and the game support) but then adding in an extra wrinkle where you can somehow choose just vanilla hardware BC?  Hard to see them addressing that. 

Well, keep in mind that with the PS2, you could turn on enhancements for PS1 games (basically AA and improved loading times), so it could very well be the same thing for PS2 titles on the 'old model' (non-European) PS3. Just an option somewhere you can set before loading the PS2 game in question - AA/higher resolution, AF, and improved load times might all be possible. But since it's software emulation, it might bork a few things (just like the improvements on the PS2 borked some PS1 games).

In the end though, only Sony knows what exactly will happen. We're all just sorta speculating.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2007, 11:12:07 AM »

To be fair, I'd say that every Xbox game I have played on 360 had "noticable issues" including Fable, Crimson Skies, Test Drive: Eve of Destruction...I take that back, because Pinball Hall of Fame was ok.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2007, 01:36:15 PM »

Dude, are you making a commission?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2007, 01:42:38 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on March 21, 2007, 01:36:15 PM

Dude, are you making a commission?

No, it's called "Common Sense". Something that both Sony and MS seem to lack.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2007, 02:43:27 PM »

so,... today's the day i wait around for someone else to download/install 1.6 & find out if it gimps the ee chip, correct?...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2007, 02:59:56 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on March 22, 2007, 02:43:27 PM

so,... today's the day i wait around for someone else to download/install 1.6 & find out if it gimps the ee chip, correct?...

Yep, I downloaded it already. It doesn't gimp it at all. All my PS2 games still work. smile

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2007, 03:07:10 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 22, 2007, 02:59:56 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on March 22, 2007, 02:43:27 PM

Yep, I downloaded it already. It doesn't gimp it at all. All my PS2 games still work. smile

smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2007, 05:37:58 PM »

Quote from: Hetz
Yep, I downloaded it already. It doesn't gimp it at all. All my PS2 games still work.

Does anything run any better?  Better anti-aliasing, higher resolution...anything like that?

The more I read about the 1.6 update, it doesn't appear to do anything for the American system's backwards compatibility, but I figure it's worth asking....

-Autistic Angel
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2007, 05:56:01 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on March 22, 2007, 05:37:58 PM

Yep, I downloaded it already. It doesn't gimp it at all. All my PS2 games still work.

Does anything run any better?  Better anti-aliasing, higher resolution...anything like that?

The more I read about the 1.6 update, it doesn't appear to do anything for the American system's backwards compatibility, but I figure it's worth asking....

-Autistic Angel

Add'l enhancements aren't supposed to happen until at least this summer IIRC. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2007, 06:22:29 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on March 22, 2007, 05:37:58 PM

-Autistic Angel

All reports point to "no" to all those questions.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2007, 06:29:08 AM »

questions for anyone who has a PS3

i heard it was WI-FI...is this true?,if so,is there anyway i can connect the machine to the internet,with an ethernet?

its just that i have my good ISP upstairs with ethernet(straight from the modem),connected to my 360,and the Wii connected via WI-FI downstairs to my shittier ISP(through the PC),as the Wii isnt online gaming(yet)...i would rather use my good ISP and use the ethernet upstairs

also,with PS2 games only having 75% coverage here in the UK...does anyone know about PS1 games....its just that i have all the FFs that came out on PS1 still

prolly wont be for a while until i get one

thanks for answering anyhow

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2007, 06:43:30 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 24, 2007, 06:29:08 AM

questions for anyone who has a PS3

i heard it was WI-FI...is this true?,if so,is there anyway i can connect the machine to the internet,with an ethernet?

its just that i have my good ISP upstairs with ethernet(straight from the modem),connected to my 360,and the Wii connected via WI-FI downstairs to my shittier ISP(through the PC),as the Wii isnt online gaming(yet)...i would rather use my good ISP and use the ethernet upstairs

also,with PS2 games only having 75% coverage here in the UK...does anyone know about PS1 games....its just that i have all the FFs that came out on PS1 still

The Joystiq charts here have a breakout of PS1 games also:  http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/20/breaking-down-the-euro-ps3s-backward-compatiblity/

There's two versions in the US, one without wifi and one with, but I think the PAL version is only available in the wifi version.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2007, 11:20:38 AM »

Yeah, there is only one version in Europe and that includes WiFi.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2007, 11:33:09 AM »

Tests of the B/C list:

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=7053&rss=1&title=PlayStation+3+backwards+compatibility+test

Looks like "noticeable issues" may be a little harsh...

SLES-54623 Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stories
What Sony Says: Works with noticeable issues.
What our tests reveal: We didn't encounter anything out of the ordinary. The FMVs all displayed fine, and we didn't encounter any slowdown.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2007, 12:05:54 PM »

Okay,thanks guys

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2007, 12:04:10 AM »

okay,sorry i have another question

i have just been reading a review on COD3,i have it for the 360 and thought i would check out the review see if there were any noticable differences...and it said that there was no voice for online play,well i thought..'ouch'..but then it occured to me,that i havent seen the headset for the ps3 ...does it have one?...if not,does that mean the online gaming is just online gaming and no talking to each player?

if there is a headset,then is it just COD3 that doesnt have the voice?

thanks

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2007, 12:25:24 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 26, 2007, 12:04:10 AM

okay,sorry i have another question

i have just been reading a review on COD3,i have it for the 360 and thought i would check out the review see if there were any noticable differences...and it said that there was no voice for online play,well i thought..'ouch'..but then it occured to me,that i havent seen the headset for the ps3 ...does it have one?...if not,does that mean the online gaming is just online gaming and no talking to each player?

if there is a headset,then is it just COD3 that doesnt have the voice?

thanks

You can use any Bluetooth Headset. That is what I like most about the PS3. You can use anything off the shelf at Best Buy for nearly everything, except for the Controller.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2007, 06:50:49 AM »

ahh i see

good to know,thanks Hetz

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2007, 12:23:08 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 26, 2007, 12:25:24 AM

You can use any Bluetooth Headset. That is what I like most about the PS3. You can use anything off the shelf at Best Buy for nearly everything, except for the Controller.

I agree that this is a fantastic feature. I am dumbfounded they made this decision since they will lose lots of money on potential peripheral sales, but good for them for making it.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2007, 12:37:53 PM »

Quote from: JCC on March 26, 2007, 12:23:08 PM

I agree that this is a fantastic feature. I am dumbfounded they made this decision since they will lose lots of money on potential peripheral sales, but good for them for making it.

For all the flack Sony has (rightly) got for some of their decisions, they've done some really good stuff too like:

- Allowing any 2.5" SATA HDD to work
- Not requiring memory cards of any kind
- Allowing the PS2 Component cable to work on PS3
- Allowing any Mini-USB connection to work on charging the controller

These are all areas where they are losing sales on officially licensed peripherals and also areas where at least one of their console competitors hasn't done.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2007, 12:57:19 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 26, 2007, 12:37:53 PM

For all the flack Sony has (rightly) got for some of their decisions, they've done some really good stuff too like:

These are all areas where they are losing sales on officially licensed peripherals and also areas where at least one of their console competitors hasn't done.

Agree on all counts-the standard HDD and the no mem cards thing in particular were fantastic ideas.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2007, 01:16:48 PM »

Yep, when I heard about the 120GB HDD from MS costing "under $199" I just laughed. You can get a 2.5" 120GB HDD from NewEgg for under $100. When everyone talks about the PS3 being so much money, you really need to think about the total cost of the console. With the 360, you are going to pay out the nose for "official" accessories. You also pay $50 a year for multiplayer and for getting Demos before regular Live members. That will add up. In the end, I suspect that people will pay more for their 360 over the course the consoles life (especially if you add in the cost of the repairs for when it breaks Tongue) than the PS3.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2007, 01:22:30 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 26, 2007, 01:16:48 PM

Yep, when I heard about the 120GB HDD from MS costing "under $199" I just laughed. You can get a 2.5" 120GB HDD from NewEgg for under $100. When everyone talks about the PS3 being so much money, you really need to think about the total cost of the console. With the 360, you are going to pay out the nose for "official" accessories. You also pay $50 a year for multiplayer and for getting Demos before regular Live members. That will add up. In the end, I suspect that people will pay more for their 360 over the course the consoles life (especially if you add in the cost of the repairs for when it breaks Tongue) than the PS3.

While I completely agree with you in theory, the issue as a multi-console owner myself is simply that everything I want to play (or most of it) right this second is on 360, and its going to be tough for multi-platform to pull me away to PS3 since I don't have 1080p on my TV. So while I agree that Sony is actually reasonably aggressively priced considering what they give you (and I love the Blu-Ray player), I think the 360 is still more practical for people and its easier to justify gradual expenditures than 200 more right off the bat (since it looks like the 20gb version is going the way of the dodo).
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2007, 01:27:30 PM »

Here's a stupid question - why hasn't a 3rd party company made a PS3 controller with rumble? Even if it doesn't have rumble on PS3 games, I'll be able to enjoy rumble on all my PS2 titles (God of War 2, I'm looking at you).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2007, 01:30:56 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 26, 2007, 01:22:30 PM

While I completely agree with you in theory, the issue as a multi-console owner myself is simply that everything I want to play (or most of it) right this second is on 360, and its going to be tough for multi-platform to pull me away to PS3 since I don't have 1080p on my TV. So while I agree that Sony is actually reasonably aggressively priced considering what they give you (and I love the Blu-Ray player), I think the 360 is still more practical for people and its easier to justify gradual expenditures than 200 more right off the bat (since it looks like the 20gb version is going the way of the dodo).

I agree with you that people just see the inital cost and it is easier to justify that. That is a major barrier that Sony will have to break down. I just wish that more people would realise that it will cost them just as much as the PS3, if not more, in the end for the 360. That and they also won't have a HD Movie player either.

*edit* The price of the 120GB HDD is $179.  icon_lol
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 01:38:48 PM by Hetz » Logged

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2007, 01:49:41 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 26, 2007, 01:30:56 PM

I agree with you that people just see the inital cost and it is easier to justify that. That is a major barrier that Sony will have to break down. I just wish that more people would realise that it will cost them just as much as the PS3, if not more, in the end for the 360. That and they also won't have a HD Movie player either.

That's true if you actually want a large hard drive and HD movie playback on a game console.  I suspect that many people do not. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2007, 01:56:22 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on March 26, 2007, 01:49:41 PM

That's true if you actually want a large hard drive and HD movie playback on a game console.  I suspect that many people do not. 

Many will want a larger hard drive though (since Live Marketplace is such a big hit according to MS) and the ability to play multiplayer. So, $179 + $50 (every year) = Way more than a PS3.  You also won't get any HD Movie playback either, or the ability to have anything larger than 120GB for a drive.  disgust

If you factor that in, you are way beyond the price of the PS3 at that point, since the HD-DVD drive will cost you $200 extra.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 01:58:12 PM by Hetz » Logged

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2007, 01:58:49 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 26, 2007, 01:56:22 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on March 26, 2007, 01:49:41 PM

Many will want a larger hard drive though (since Live Marketplace is such a big hit according to MS) and the ability to play multiplayer. So, $179 + $50 (every year) = Way more than a PS3.  You also won't get any HD Movie playback either.  disgust

If you factor that in, you are way beyond the price of the PS3 at that point, since the HD-DVD drive will cost you $200 extra.
"

Oh yeah, absolutely agreed-I wish MS would bite the bullet right now and move past their pride and give us a blu-ray add on like the HD-DVD. As I am considering getting rid of the PS3 for now, it would be a major boon for me to not have to suffer with the limited options of HD-DVD (although this decision is still in the air).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: