http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 03:08:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] 20GB model truly 'discontinued'?  (Read 1707 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: April 07, 2007, 08:56:14 PM »

Of all the places you'd think you could find a 20GB PS3 (as they've pretty much vanished in the wild) would be Sony's own store. But if you look, the only PS3 you'll find is the 60GB model.

Don't believe me? Here's everything that comes up if you search for 'PS3'. Oddly enough, they still have the Core PSP for $30 over EB/Gamestop's price. But no Core PS3.

I guess the 20GB PS3 truly is discontinued. And as I kept on saying before, and apparently is true now - the PS3 is $600.

Too bad, really, as a $500 console (only $100 more than the 360) would've drawn in a few more purchases methinks.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 01:15:40 AM »

Well don't be too hard on Sony, MS recently announced they were discontinuing the basic version of their 360 too.

Of course, this thread will now devolve, yet again, into a big argument over the comparative "value" of the 360's features to PS3's features.
Vikki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 01:30:27 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 08, 2007, 01:15:40 AM

Well don't be too hard on Sony, MS recently announced they were discontinuing the basic version of their 360 too.

Of course, this thread will now devolve, yet again, into a big argument over the comparative "value" of the 360's features to PS3's features.

Are you saying MS discontinued the core system, that is huge news, do you have a link?
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 01:33:37 AM »

You underestimate the changes around here lately.  I beg to differ with the idea this thread will degrade.  We're all adults here now.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 01:59:51 AM »

Um wow. I don't know what to say to something so absurd. It made me laugh though K. Thanks.

Anyways, it seems like the 20GB is going away. Sony doesn't list it for sale anymore and rumors are it hasn't been on the production lines for some time now. I would imagine its as good as dead.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 02:11:11 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on April 08, 2007, 01:59:51 AM

Anyways, it seems like the 20GB is going away. Sony doesn't list it for sale anymore and rumors are it hasn't been on the production lines for some time now. I would imagine its as good as dead.

Agreed. I thought it sounded like Sony was protesting too much when they insisted they were still producing it a while back. It's too bad. I would have probably caved on the 20G PS3 if it had just had WiFi. frown

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 02:30:53 AM »

I would imagine this is going to cost them a ton of sales.  When they would have eventually cut the price of 20 GB model to $400, there would have been a big surge in sales.  Now, it'll probably take two price cuts for that to happen.  By then, it may already be too late.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 02:54:41 AM »

The frustrating thing is that while the hardcore early adopters wanted the 60, I think a lot of folks now would like the 20 for less money.

I'm hoping they reintroduce it with software emulation.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 03:38:08 AM »

No - the Core is still being produced.  There will be three separate SKUs in the market (for better or for worse, of course).
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 04:24:20 AM »

That's weird, there was some sort of announcement along the lines of the core being discontinued at the same time the Elite 360 was announced.

What were the things that the 20gb version was missing?  I know the wifi was gone, but you can simply get a wireless network bridge, if I recall they patched the PS3 to allow the same functionality when using a bridge as using the built in adapter.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 04:26:46 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 08, 2007, 04:24:20 AM

That's weird, there was some sort of announcement along the lines of the core being discontinued at the same time the Elite 360 was announced.

That was just the usual internet speculation...

What were the things that the 20gb version was missing?  I know the wifi was gone, but you can simply get a wireless network bridge, if I recall they patched the PS3 to allow the same functionality when using a bridge as using the built in adapter.

The only other differentiating feature was the memory card reader, I believe.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 04:59:39 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on April 08, 2007, 01:59:51 AM

Um wow. I don't know what to say to something so absurd. It made me laugh though K. Thanks.

So we're not all adults here then?  As much as I hate to see Hetz go it has been noticably quieter around here lately.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 05:05:35 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 08, 2007, 04:26:46 AM

Quote from: Turtle on April 08, 2007, 04:24:20 AM

The only other differentiating feature was the memory card reader, I believe.

Correct, which could easily be added via USB.  While I guess I understand why Sony is doing this, it is pretty sucky for those who wanted a 20GB version (of which I'd imagine there were many).

gellar
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 01:45:27 PM »

The 20g version was the ONLY one I would consider.  So, as it stands now I will not be getting a PS3 until the price for the 60g version drops.  I did the same for the PS2 and waited for it to drop to $150 and you know, I don't feel I missed a thing. Plus, I got the slim version to boot. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 04:12:22 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on April 08, 2007, 01:45:27 PM

Plus, I got the slim version to boot. 

The slim PS2 was so sexy- I wonder if it would even be possible to slim down the PS3 like that.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2007, 04:26:58 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 08, 2007, 04:12:22 PM

The slim PS2 was so sexy- I wonder if it would even be possible to slim down the PS3 like that.

To a certain extent perhaps, but no where near that size. It has multiple CPU cores, an internal power supply, a blu ray drive (the standalone players are huge right now too), cooling fans, and right now PS2 and PS1 hardware. I'm sure it could be a tad smaller, but I doubt it could be slimmed that much.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2007, 04:30:48 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on April 08, 2007, 04:26:58 PM

To a certain extent perhaps, but no where near that size. It has multiple CPU cores, an internal power supply, a blu ray drive (the standalone players are huge right now too), cooling fans, and right now PS2 and PS1 hardware. I'm sure it could be a tad smaller, but I doubt it could be slimmed that much.

Not to mention the hard drive, which takes up some room. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2007, 04:38:58 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 08, 2007, 04:30:48 PM

Quote from: Calvin on April 08, 2007, 04:26:58 PM

Not to mention the hard drive, which takes up some room. 

Doh!  icon_wink
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 06:01:44 PM »

I could be wrong, but I really think that if they don't relaunch the 20GB skew (or some other lower price alternative to the 60) that they are making a terrible mistake caused by misreading the buying patterns of the early adopters...anyone agree/disagree?

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2007, 06:22:01 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 08, 2007, 06:01:44 PM

I could be wrong, but I really think that if they don't relaunch the 20GB skew (or some other lower price alternative to the 60) that they are making a terrible mistake caused by misreading the buying patterns of the early adopters...anyone agree/disagree?

I don't think they ever intended the 20GB model to be produced or sold in large volumes, but created it as a marketing tactic so that they could say they also have a $500 model and were giving consumers a choice.  Even after it has supposedly been discontinued, most people will continue to think that there is always the chance at a cheaper option. 

Maybe they are intending to relaunch an additional model later this year before the holidays or something, but if not then I agree that it will be a mistake to not appeal to what a large number of consumers want. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2007, 07:18:31 PM »

EngineNo9 - that is exactly why the $500 SKU was there. Same with the $299 SKU for the gimped 360. To try to make the console look cheaper.

And Sony isn't exactly in the position to frankly give a damn at what consumers want. Remember - Sony (well, Krazy Ken technically) was the one that said that people would get a second job just to get the PS3. They don't really care what people think.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2007, 07:57:48 PM »

And Sony isn't exactly in the position to frankly give a damn at what consumers want. Remember - Sony (well, Krazy Ken technically) was the one that said that people would get a second job just to get the PS3. They don't really care what people think.

I believe Sony cares about what people think, it's not fair to say that these few guys at the top are the ones who controlled the entire creative process in designing and marketing the PS3. Like I've heard others say before, Sony really positioned themselves as the luxury car of the console world. Obviously no one really expects consumers who can't easily afford the PS3 to get a second job, but it's not like we're talking about a $1000 machine here. I'm betting that if the PS3 had some big-name titles out of the game (lets not kid ourselves, Resistance is no system seller), the PS3 would be thriving. I still stand on my belief that it's ultimately the software that is hindering PS3 sales at the moment, not the hardware.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2007, 09:03:02 PM »

Have to agree for the most part.  The price and missing rumble combined with nothing out that I'm particularly interested in, and the fact that most of the stuff I would be interested in is coming out on the 360 as well. 

Pikachu, I Blame you!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2007, 10:08:10 PM »

The lack of software is a problem, but look how many Wiis have sold, and they don't have much in the way of big games, either.  There isn't anything that could get me to pay $600 for a console, and I'd imagine there are a lot of others for which that is true.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2007, 10:52:34 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 08, 2007, 07:18:31 PM

EngineNo9 - that is exactly why the $500 SKU was there. Same with the $299 SKU for the gimped 360. To try to make the console look cheaper.

Yeah, but the Core 360 hardly even qualifies as a 360. There's a huge difference between it and the other version. The differences between the 2 PS3 models were not that significant.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2007, 01:33:13 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 08, 2007, 10:52:34 PM

Yeah, but the Core 360 hardly even qualifies as a 360. There's a huge difference between it and the other version. The differences between the 2 PS3 models were not that significant.

Also true. As for me, the only reason I got the $600 version was that I spent $500 on it and got Resistance for free. Knew a friend who wanted to get rid of it. smile
On the flip side though, I needed wireless if I ever wanted to get online. My router is nowhere near my consoles.

Quote from: EddieA on April 08, 2007, 10:08:10 PM

The lack of software is a problem, but look how many Wiis have sold, and they don't have much in the way of big games, either.  There isn't anything that could get me to pay $600 for a console, and I'd imagine there are a lot of others for which that is true.

Also true. I own exactly one game right now on my Wii (and two on my PS3 - Resistance and VF5). I'll finally be getting a second Wii game next week with Paper Mario. No games interest me on either console.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2007, 01:39:56 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 08, 2007, 10:52:34 PM

Agreed completely, but I think Sony was simply losing too much money on that SKU to keep it in production.
unbreakable
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2007, 04:36:58 PM »

I seem to recall someone posting cost figures... if I remember right, Sony actually loses $50 more on the 60GB model.

But making one model is likely way cheaper than making two, and it's not like they are going to cut the 60GB model.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: