http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 03:45:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] $600 console includes no video cables?  (Read 5553 times)
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2006, 12:38:16 AM »

Quote from: stiffler on September 06, 2006, 12:07:36 AM

Quote from: Tustin1 on September 05, 2006, 11:53:47 PM

Quote from: jblank on September 05, 2006, 11:43:01 PM

but I think you guys wanna focus too much on the gaming aspect

Considering I'll be buying a PS3 for gaming, I think my focus is right where it should be.  

As a gamer I'd much rather have a standard DVD version of the PS3 for $100+ less.  Since my focus is on gaming, not helping Sony license their new format.

Disregard the whole HD visual aspect for a second and think about pure storage capacity - I don't want to be playing a game and swapping 1/2 dozen DVD's like we did with CDroms.  The point of this thread was originally the possible lack of an HDMI cable - we seem to have diverged....

My Current Sig.
Visit me at: Chunite
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2006, 12:41:45 AM »

Quote from: Tustin1 on September 06, 2006, 12:38:16 AM

Quote from: stiffler on September 06, 2006, 12:07:36 AM

Quote from: Tustin1 on September 05, 2006, 11:53:47 PM

Quote from: jblank on September 05, 2006, 11:43:01 PM

but I think you guys wanna focus too much on the gaming aspect

Considering I'll be buying a PS3 for gaming, I think my focus is right where it should be.  

As a gamer I'd much rather have a standard DVD version of the PS3 for $100+ less.  Since my focus is on gaming, not helping Sony license their new format.

Disregard the whole HD visual aspect for a second and think about pure storage capacity - I don't want to be playing a game and swapping 1/2 dozen DVD's like we did with CDroms.  The point of this thread was originally the possible lack of an HDMI cable - we seem to have diverged....

saywhat But we're not even swapping DVD's now. Now granted, the capacity of BR is MUCH greater, but I don't think there is a huge issue with storage, or at least enough of one to worry about this scenario. Obviously bigger is better, but lets just see what they can do with the extra space before worrying about it.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2006, 01:23:02 AM »

Quote from: gellar on September 05, 2006, 08:26:19 PM

Quote from: jblank on September 05, 2006, 08:13:21 PM

Dude, we just showed you a site where a 3 foot cable is what, 5 bucks? It would cost Sony under a dollar per unit I am sure.

Again, the difference is that a lot of people are buying the PS3 for the BR potential of it and Sony is using this as their vehicle to really push the product. Why not do all you can, as a company, to make sure that out of the box it will do what is needed to show off their BR technology.

I'm not pissed about it, just flabbergasted at how you guys are willing to pay 600 dollars for something that we think is incomplete.

$1 per unit, assuming they sell... say 1 mil units is... $1,000,000.  Not a small chunk of change to save if they can.

And again, it's no more incomplete than not having an optical cable.  Or even worse, it doesn't even have a GAME.  How can they sell a gaming system WITHOUT A BLOODY GAME?  THE OUTRAGE.  How the hell can they show off the system's gaming capabilities without a game to play on it?!?!  Oh wait, they've been doing that for years.

* gellar remembers that his SNES came with Super Mario Brothers!

* purge remembers paying an extra 50bux for SMB & Duck hunt when all he wanted was the console for Zelda

Game content is subjected to taste. CABLES is CABLES. Optical cables aren't the defacto standard; there is SPDIF and 6 channel cables. As to video connections, there's HDMI, component and svideo/composite. DVI is dead and so is coaxial. Now, when I buy me a power supply without cables, or you know, a skipping rope without a rope, or a toaster without toast  saywhat .... wait, scratch that last one. What we're trying to say is, if they're going to charge and extra hundred dollars and say "zOMG I R IN URZ HOUSE STEALIN U R WALLET!!" they could at least cough up the cable.

by your math, that would be HDMI market penetration into 1 million households. Oh, and that 1 million units means 600,000,000 dollars. That's without games, extra controllers, yadda yadda. See if I cry for them. They could have dropped the media reader. I mean FUCK, that's at least 15 bux; they could have made a USB snap-on one and sold it to the 300 people who will actually USE it at a markup rather than bundling it and adding to the normal losses associated with a console.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 01:25:00 AM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Briko
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2006, 01:24:43 AM »

I think this is very simple they are just saying that if you want to have a Blue Ray DVD player why not just buy a PS3. You get a gaming system and a Cheap BR Player... Last time I check the BR players where around 1000.00...

If you just a Video crazed person (somewhat like me) Not sure that I would spend that type of money just for a Video Game System... If you are both a person that wants both a BR player and a next gen video system then the PS3 is perfect for you and the 600.00 price tag will be cheap.

I do believe that Sony is going to take a real beating on this video system because of the BR DVD, cutting cost is probably the think to do where they can. (Also if you're spending 600.00 on a video system then a 30.00 cable shouldn't be a concern)

Briko

Briko
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2006, 02:20:39 AM »

Quote from: Purge on September 06, 2006, 01:23:02 AM

Quote from: gellar on September 05, 2006, 08:26:19 PM

Quote from: jblank on September 05, 2006, 08:13:21 PM

Dude, we just showed you a site where a 3 foot cable is what, 5 bucks? It would cost Sony under a dollar per unit I am sure.

Again, the difference is that a lot of people are buying the PS3 for the BR potential of it and Sony is using this as their vehicle to really push the product. Why not do all you can, as a company, to make sure that out of the box it will do what is needed to show off their BR technology.

I'm not pissed about it, just flabbergasted at how you guys are willing to pay 600 dollars for something that we think is incomplete.

$1 per unit, assuming they sell... say 1 mil units is... $1,000,000.  Not a small chunk of change to save if they can.

And again, it's no more incomplete than not having an optical cable.  Or even worse, it doesn't even have a GAME.  How can they sell a gaming system WITHOUT A BLOODY GAME?  THE OUTRAGE.  How the hell can they show off the system's gaming capabilities without a game to play on it?!?!  Oh wait, they've been doing that for years.

* gellar remembers that his SNES came with Super Mario Brothers!

* purge remembers paying an extra 50bux for SMB & Duck hunt when all he wanted was the console for Zelda

Game content is subjected to taste. CABLES is CABLES. Optical cables aren't the defacto standard; there is SPDIF and 6 channel cables. As to video connections, there's HDMI, component and svideo/composite. DVI is dead and so is coaxial. Now, when I buy me a power supply without cables, or you know, a skipping rope without a rope, or a toaster without toast  saywhat .... wait, scratch that last one. What we're trying to say is, if they're going to charge and extra hundred dollars and say "zOMG I R IN URZ HOUSE STEALIN U R WALLET!!" they could at least cough up the cable.

by your math, that would be HDMI market penetration into 1 million households. Oh, and that 1 million units means 600,000,000 dollars. That's without games, extra controllers, yadda yadda. See if I cry for them. They could have dropped the media reader. I mean FUCK, that's at least 15 bux; they could have made a USB snap-on one and sold it to the 300 people who will actually USE it at a markup rather than bundling it and adding to the normal losses associated with a console.
* you pretty boys  need to stop this third person crap  finger

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2006, 04:11:19 AM »

Quote from: Tustin1 on September 04, 2006, 11:29:45 PM

Quote from: Thin_J on September 04, 2006, 11:24:58 PM

Leave it to sony to find yet another way to give their potential customers the finger.

Yeah, damn those bastards for saving those who don't need an HDMI cable a couple of bucks, those sick sons of....

My comment wasn't directed at the lack of an HDMI cable. It was directed at the lack of any cable whatsoever.

Does the system still use a proprietary connection for it's cables like the previous ones have? If so, and you see the component cables for $30 or $40 and the HDMI for even more.. I wouldn't be surprised.

If not, then the issue is downgraded somewhat, but I still dislike it simply because this is the first console ever that didn't ship with at least the minimum required cable to hook it up and play.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 04:14:46 AM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2006, 04:55:40 AM »

Does the system still use a proprietary connection for it's cables like the previous ones have? If so, and you see the component cables for $30 or $40 and the HDMI for even more.. I wouldn't be surprise
I think Component and down is still proprietary, though the PS2 cables may work just fine.  Supposedly HDMI uses the bog-standard HDMI port, so no worries there. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2006, 09:47:41 PM »

I truly hoped that my original post wasn't true (because it would be a completely idiotic thing to do), but apparently in the end it was. Via IGN:

October 11, 2006 - HDMI port, Blu-Ray drive, Cell processor -- the PS3 will ship with everything needed for high definition playback. Everything except for high definition cables, that is.

The latest issue of Famitsu contains a first report on the cables that will be included with the Japanese version of the PS3. Purchasers of either the 60 Gig or 20 Gig models will get a power cord, USB cable, ethernet cable and standard composite AV cable.

That's right! No component, HDMI or D cables are included in the box! While Sony hasn't announced the wiring that will be bundled with the US version of the system, in Japan at least, those who want high definition cables will have to make a separate purchase.

On the plus side, the PS3's AV Multi Out interface accepts the same cables that you used with your PS2, so if you already have S-Video, D or Component cables, you should be able to reuse them.

Thankfully Sony didn't change the interface at the back from the PS2, so you can use your old cables, but not including any HD capable cables in what is the 'only system to have true HD support' is just wrong.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2006, 12:19:49 AM »

Coulda sworn I saw reference to the Japanese packaging this week that indicated it included component cables.  Will have to try and find where I saw that later.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: